PDA

View Full Version : Native app for WIN 32

indexit
2008-11-29, 16:32
Hi,

Have you guys ever thought about writing a conrol program for slim server that runs in an app and not thru a web browser. Even on fast computers the web browser is pritty slow. My ipod touch with the ipeng app and the SC both seem to work much much faster then using the web browser.

How about a nice little program to run on win32 and other operating systems...

thanks

sebp
2008-11-29, 16:54
Since I don't own any iScrap device or Windows machine, I would worry very much if SD ever let down the yes-a-bit-sluggish-but-oh-so-universal-web-frontend to SqueezeCenter.
Why don't you give Moose a try?

Siduhe
2008-11-29, 17:17
indexit - have a look at the Moose program - search the forums or google "Dr Lovegrove Moose"

gharris999
2008-11-29, 17:35
How about a nice little program to run on win32 and other operating systems...
Ummm...that would be called SqueezePlay: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53047

Mnyb
2008-11-29, 23:02
Well the WEB UI is available on ALL Computers on the network not only the one running SC.

Many people are running Headless servers,that are only remotely admined, these servers often runs without any GUI in the OS so remote controll via web UI is it.

I'm not sure but i think you can run the Moose program against a remote server and have it both ways.

IMHO SC is for serving the files and the IR remote or controller is for controlling the players, I mainly use the web-UI to initiate scans when i get new music.
The web.UI has limits i'm do think that is very clunky sometimes.
edit playlist's then you feel the clunkiness.

Lets see what squeezeplay brings ? i haven't tried that yet.

Try it with firefox is it faster ? the word on this forum was that it is (I can not confirm have no other browser)

Others have reported that the web-UI is slower on the machine that runs SC is this true ? or did i get it wrong

Browny
2008-11-30, 02:59
I'm not sure but i think you can run the Moose program against a remote server and have it both ways.

I'm running Moose on a Windows PC to control SqueezeCenter on my 'remote' Linux server. Works like a charm - it even integrates with the multimedia keys on my MS Keyboard for skipping tracks etc.

Moose is a good frontend - you can download it from http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/

Tbh I find the interface a little over-flashy for my taste, but the functionality is superb.