PDA

View Full Version : Change Screen saver in SBC to Pbase from Flickr

Howard Passman
2008-11-29, 14:57
Anyone have any clue about being able to change anything by ssh'ing in to the SBC and changing from Flickr to Pbase for the screen saver. Anyone done it?

Howard

andynormancx
2008-11-29, 15:17
It involves more than a quick tweak. The Flickr screen saver uses the Flickr API to do its work, you'd have to take the Flickr one and make a lot of changes to it to make it work against Pbase.

Pbase doesn't appear to have an API, which further complicates the effort, you'd have to scrape the Pbase webpages to get a list of photos for a user.

Howard Passman
2008-11-29, 15:22
It involves more than a quick tweak. The Flickr screen saver uses the Flickr API to do its work, you'd have to take the Flickr one and make a lot of changes to it to make it work against Pbase.

Pbase doesn't appear to have an API, which further complicates the effort, you'd have to scrape the Pbase webpages to get a list of photos for a user.

Would it be any easier if I set up a "gallery" with the pictures I wanted in it? Pbase does have a "slide show" built in. Is that any help?

Thanks for your consideration.

Howard

andynormancx
2008-11-29, 15:27
No that wouldn't really help, you still need code in a Pbase specific screen saver to scrape the Pbase gallery page. A lot of the code from the Flickr one could be reused, but it is still a non-trivial amount of work.

They have some Atom feeds which would make some of it easier, for example here is one for my photos:

http://feeds.pbase.com/feeds/andynormancx/photos.atom

But that still looks like it means scraping the individual photo pages to get the url to the small image.

Howard Passman
2008-11-29, 15:30
No that wouldn't really help, you still need code in a Pbase specific screen saver to scrape the Pbase gallery page. A lot of the code from the Flickr one could be reused, but it is still a non-trivial amount of work.

Thanks again,

Just wondered because I've been using Pbase for my photography for a long time and am already paying for the space. I like the layout better than Flickr and Flickr has a limit on free accounts (understandable).

Thanks again!

Howard

Jonnio
2008-12-04, 04:12
Howard - I would just pick your favorite 5-10 pictures and upload them to a free flickr account. I am thinking about getting a second account just for my Duet since I have a couple thousand pictures on my flickr one and I don't really want them all scrolling across the screen (friends might think it odd when they come over and pictures from their wedding are on my SBR )

Howard Passman
2008-12-04, 04:28
Howard - I would just pick your favorite 5-10 pictures and upload them to a free flickr account. I am thinking about getting a second account just for my Duet since I have a couple thousand pictures on my flickr one and I don't really want them all scrolling across the screen (friends might think it odd when they come over and pictures from their wedding are on my SBR )

I uploaded as much of my album art as the free acount would take :-) That works fine, but I thought it would be cool, since I already have a Pbase account, to load all of them there and intermingle it with my own photography. I may start a Musical Instrument picture collection and I could put that in there. Too many ideas...

Have a great day,

Howard

Howard Passman
2008-12-04, 04:38

They have some Atom feeds which would make some of it easier, for example here is one for my photos:

http://feeds.pbase.com/feeds/andynormancx/photos.atom

But that still looks like it means scraping the individual photo pages to get the url to the small image.

Thanks for the link to your Pbase. I have another photonut friend that lives up there with you in Seattle. Too dreary for me. Washington D.C. area is bad enough. If you get a chance peek at my gallery. www.pbase.com/passman

Howard

andynormancx
2008-12-04, 06:20
Thanks for the link to your Pbase. I have another photonut friend that lives up there with you in Seattle. Too dreary for me. Washington D.C. area is bad enough. If you get a chance peek at my gallery. www.pbase.com/passman

I don't live in Seattle, I wish I did, I love the place. I live in Surrey, England.

I have very few of my photos on Pbase, I used to use it before I had my own website but haven't really used it recently. My real photo website is here:

http://www.norman.cx/photos/

Including lots more from the Seattle area:

http://www.norman.cx/photos/?r=washington|seattle

(though it is really more a dump of "all the photos I have ever taken" than a gallery)

Howard Passman
2008-12-04, 06:28
Holy smoke there's a lot of images in there! That'll give me something to do on some of these cold days coming up :-)

Not so sure I'd want to live in Seattle. My freinds there don't make it sound all that appealing, but that may be to keep me at home :-)

Howard