PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: a new forum for the iPhone apps

snoogly
2008-11-29, 12:28
Given that there are now 2 (a 3rd on the way?) iPhone apps to control Slim devices, is it time to set up a new forum - devoted only to those apps?

Clearly this is a new 'genre' of software, not a plugin, but worthy of more than 'General Discussion'.

'3rd party software' might be a good name for the forum.

ch1525
2008-11-29, 14:07
I think that is quite a good idea, as I'm having trouble finding the threads related to the apps when I return to the forum.

auronthas
2008-11-29, 15:41
Good suggestion for another forum directory (3rd Party Software) to reduce the mess in General Discussion and make the searching/browsing easily.

JJZolx
2008-11-29, 16:18
Yep. I have no problems with these threads, but they have no place in a general purpose forum for the product line.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55501

The General forum has become a mess since the establishment of the Boom, Duet and SqueezeCenter forums. Something needs to be done to encourage posting to the correct forum, and the extremely sporadic moderation isn't helping.

Mark Lanctot
2008-12-01, 08:04
Agreed here too, for non-iPhone/iPod users the signal-to-noise ratio of this forum has dropped substantially.

Unfortunately the idea doesn't seem to have much interest:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=360337&postcount=71

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=363232#post363232

erland
2008-12-01, 10:46
Given that there are now 2 (a 3rd on the way?) iPhone apps to control Slim devices, is it time to set up a new forum - devoted only to those apps?

Clearly this is a new 'genre' of software, not a plugin, but worthy of more than 'General Discussion'.

'3rd party software' might be a good name for the forum.

Wouldn't it be enough to just rename "3rd party plugins" to "3rd party software" ?
Do we really need a completely new section ?

funkstar
2008-12-01, 13:57
Wouldn't it be enough to just rename "3rd party plugins" to "3rd party software" ?
Yeah, I'm with Erland on this.

snoogly
2008-12-01, 14:16

I agree. Let's movie 'i' apps over to a renamed '3rd part software'.

Makes sense.

snoogly
2008-12-11, 14:38
Can anyone make this happen? It seems to have a lot of support ..

pippin
2008-12-11, 23:18
Can anyone make this happen? It seems to have a lot of support ..

9 posts by 5 users in 14 days is a lot of support?

pfarrell
2008-12-11, 23:31
pippin wrote:
> snoogly;368973 Wrote:
>> Can anyone make this happen? It seems to have a lot of support ..
>
> 9 posts by 5 users in 14 days is a lot of support?

I would not call it "a lot" but I have added a filter to my mail reader
to look for any "iPeng Application" in the subject line and move them
direct to trash. Not that I have anything against the product, but I
don't have nor plan to get an iPhone/iTouch, so its just noise to me.

I remind folks again that not everyone reads the web forum, and so off
topic discussion are not cost free to everyone.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

erland
2008-12-11, 23:53
pippin wrote:
> snoogly;368973 Wrote:
>> Can anyone make this happen? It seems to have a lot of support ..
>
> 9 posts by 5 users in 14 days is a lot of support?

I would not call it "a lot" but I have added a filter to my mail reader
to look for any "iPeng Application" in the subject line and move them
direct to trash. Not that I have anything against the product, but I
don't have nor plan to get an iPhone/iTouch, so its just noise to me.

I remind folks again that not everyone reads the web forum, and so off
topic discussion are not cost free to everyone.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Changing the "3rd party plugins" section to "3rd party software" still makes sense to me. Currently things like skins, script utilities, rich clients tends to get hidden in the "General" forum. Putting these in the same place as 3rd party plugins still makes a lot of sense to me.

auronthas
2008-12-11, 23:55
I support the move of change on "3rd Party Plugins" to "3rd Party Plugins/Softwares"

Since ipeng app is still new, hot and popular, it always on the first page under General Forum, but sooner or later, it will not be easily to search.

pippin
2008-12-12, 00:29
Changing the "3rd party plugins" section to "3rd party software" still makes sense to me. Currently things like skins, script utilities, rich clients tends to get hidden in the "General" forum. Putting these in the same place as 3rd party plugins still makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm not THAT much against it, but it would require moderators to move/point all questions to that 3rd party software forum.
As I remember, BEFORE iPeng/Squidgy came up (I used to handle all iPeng related tuff under 3rd party plugins then sice the plugin's a plugin :-) ) there were quite regular questions like "how do I control my SC with my iPhone" in the General forum. That's simply the place where people turn to the first time.