PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 6 to 7; test on laptop first?



whitman
2008-11-29, 04:03
I'm thinking of moving up to 7.2.x from 6.5.1, principally so that I can use the latest benefits of the iPlayer plugin over the deteriorating effectiveness of AlienBBC in 6.5.x mode (BBC's fault, not the great Alien guys).

(Sorry, posted this in General first and realise now it probably should be here.)

I'm on a Mac running OSX 10.5.5.

Is there anything to stop me trying out 7.2.1 on my (also Mac) laptop and leaving the desktop machine, the one where 6.5.1 currently resides, with 6.5.1 until I decide it all works?

Could I, for example, access my iTunes library, which resides on an outboard hard drive, from the laptop, as part of my test, without upsetting anything?

I'd be grateful for any guidance. I'm just thinking that moving up to 7.2.x is a little more tricky and trouble-prone for Mac users than PC users, from what I've read here.

whitman
2008-12-01, 06:07
OK, I'll take that as a deafening: 'No, you go right ahead and try it out on your laptop first.'

Maybe it was a naive question?

I just would thought one of my fellow Mac users might have come up against this. So, none of you?

maggior
2008-12-01, 11:36
I'm thinking of moving up to 7.2.x from 6.5.1, principally so that I can use the latest benefits of the iPlayer plugin over the deteriorating effectiveness of AlienBBC in 6.5.x mode (BBC's fault, not the great Alien guys).

(Sorry, posted this in General first and realise now it probably should be here.)

I'm on a Mac running OSX 10.5.5.

Is there anything to stop me trying out 7.2.1 on my (also Mac) laptop and leaving the desktop machine, the one where 6.5.1 currently resides, with 6.5.1 until I decide it all works?

Could I, for example, access my iTunes library, which resides on an outboard hard drive, from the laptop, as part of my test, without upsetting anything?

I'd be grateful for any guidance. I'm just thinking that moving up to 7.2.x is a little more tricky and trouble-prone for Mac users than PC users, from what I've read here.

There is no reason why you can't do what you are suggesting. I have 2 servers running in my house for the same reason. The only gotcha I ran into was with the controller - it wouldn't see the second server until I did a factory reset on it. But you're using 6.5.1, so you aren't using a Duet with the controller :-).

With the SB3, you should have no trouble. When you bring up the second server, turn on your SB3 and hold down the left arrow until you get into the network settings. As you scroll, you should see the names of your servers or a submenu that has them. Select the other server and off you go. The SB3 will update its firmware and restart. That same will happen when switching back.

whitman
2008-12-01, 15:19
Thanks Rich. that's exactly what I needed - someone to tell me it's not a stupid idea and to say go on, give it a whirl. Which I will. Thanks!

moley6knipe
2008-12-01, 15:21
Or you could wait 2-3 weeks for 7.3 to be released?

whitman
2008-12-02, 00:44
Much advantage in the wait, do you think, moley?

mudlark
2008-12-02, 02:07
I chop and change my linux SC with regularity. I have completely trashed my machine innumerable times.

What I am trying to say is the programme does nothing to your music All it does is collect information about your music, display that information and then stream the music to a player. You can also add other programmes that mess about with the information.

The information is of little value as it can be rebuilt in 5 to 10 minutes by the version of the programme that you are using.

The information is all you can lose.

I am certain the above applies to mac system.

maggior
2008-12-02, 08:24
That's true Mudlark, but with the entire family relying on the squeezebox for music, I've decided to avoid the stress of having to restore versions of SC after bumbled attempts at trying something new. It it were just me, I wouldnt' care.

Yes, you can revert relatively easily, but with the Duet, a factory reset is sometimes required on the controller. I get tired of having to go through the configuration settings on it :-).

Even with 7.3 as a production release, I'll be trying it first on a secondary system first. If I find problems, I don't want to be troubleshooting and debugging problems on my main server.

whitman
2008-12-03, 04:15
There is no reason why you can't do what you are suggesting. I have 2 servers running in my house for the same reason. The only gotcha I ran into was with the controller - it wouldn't see the second server until I did a factory reset on it. But you're using 6.5.1, so you aren't using a Duet with the controller :-).

With the SB3, you should have no trouble. When you bring up the second server, turn on your SB3 and hold down the left arrow until you get into the network settings. As you scroll, you should see the names of your servers or a submenu that has them. Select the other server and off you go. The SB3 will update its firmware and restart. That same will happen when switching back.

Just a thought on what you said, Maggior, before I go ahead and try this. Yes, I'm running a couple of SB3s off my iMac. I follow your instructions and all seems logical until the bit about 'switching back'. Are you saying that if for whatever reason I decide against a 7.x set-up trialled on my laptop, and want to revert to 6.5.1, that I simply switch back to the iMac on the SBs and the firmware will automatically revert? There'd be no problem in going backwards, as it were?