PDA

View Full Version : Satellite radio?

stevebla
2008-11-28, 23:36
Is it possible to stream on-line satellite radio such as XM or Sirius through Squeezebox Duet?

Mark Miksis
2008-11-28, 23:43
At this point in time, Sirius yes, XM no.

Ron Olsen
2008-11-28, 23:57
I'm listening to XM Radio Online on my Squeezebox Duet (using Squeezecenter 7.2.1) right now, using this plugin: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=353392&postcount=56

You have to set up the XM stations you want to listen to as Favorites to make this work using the Squeezebox Controller instead of the Squeezecenter web interface.

Mark Miksis
2008-11-29, 00:08
Thanks for the correction. I don't have an XM account and I was under the impression that that 3rd party plugin was at least semi-unmaintained at this point. Sirius is now officially supported by SD.

Ron Olsen
2008-11-29, 00:15
Now that XM and Sirius have merged, it would be great if Logitech could provide official support for XM Radio. This would eliminate the need to use Favorites to access XM Radio stations on the Squeezebox Controller.

pfarrell
2008-11-29, 00:25
Ron Olsen wrote:
> Now that XM and Sirius have merged, it would be great if Logitech could
> provide official support for XM Radio.

It would be neat. But its not clear how long the merged XM/Sirius will
stay viable as a business. All media is having problems with the current
market. The merger will not be easy as the technology behind the two are
not compatible. The biggest customers of each were the new car
manufacturers, and they are hurting badly.

I like competition, but I'm not sure if we'll all be listening to music
streamed over wifi to the 64GB flash disk in our car before the merger
happens.

Ron Olsen
2008-11-29, 01:18
The XM Radio station lineup now includes a number of Sirius stations; the new lineup became available a few weeks ago. Some premium Sirius stations (like Howard Stern) are available to XM subscribers for an extra fee.

As an XM subscriber, I can listen to the new lineup at home on XM Radio Online (via Squeezecenter) and on XM Satellite radio in my car.

stevebla
2008-11-29, 05:01
Thanks for the replies .. I see now that there is a Sirius plugin listed in Settings.
How exactly does one activate it?

.. and any thoughts on XM vs Sirius pros and cons?

Howard Passman
2008-11-29, 06:05

Having had XM and never having listened to Sirius, my first impressions are negative towards Sirius. One of my favorite stations on XM was replaced by a Sirius station and on the way home the other day that staion was playing two songs at the same time. Regularly it cuts the last 5-10 seconds of a song off and now has BS chatter. Since I only listen to about 4 stations on XM I can't say this is how Sirius behaves, but it shouldn't be how it works, even on one station. I've really enjoyed XM in my car over the past year, now I'm considering cancelling and just going back to my iPod.

Just my 2 cents.

Howard

toby10
2008-11-29, 09:05
Thanks for the replies .. I see now that there is a Sirius plugin listed in Settings.
How exactly does one activate it?

You need to have a Sirius Internet Radio subscription. $3 a month for existing Sirius Satellite subscribers, $13 a month for Sirius Internet Radio only.

I'd guess you would need to activate/subscribe via the Sirius web site first. There may be a free trial period.

GoCubs
2008-11-29, 11:23
You need to have a Sirius Internet Radio subscription. $3 a month for existing Sirius Satellite subscribers, $13 a month for Sirius Internet Radio only.

I'd guess you would need to activate/subscribe via the Sirius web site first. There may be a free trial period.
If you use my Sirius plugin instead of the 'official' plugin you do not have to pay the extra $3/month... however the extra $3 gets you higher audio quality for either plugin.

www.gregbrown.net

-Greg

GoCubs
2008-11-29, 11:25
Having had XM and never having listened to Sirius, my first impressions are negative towards Sirius. One of my favorite stations on XM was replaced by a Sirius station and on the way home the other day that staion was playing two songs at the same time. Regularly it cuts the last 5-10 seconds of a song off and now has BS chatter. Since I only listen to about 4 stations on XM I can't say this is how Sirius behaves, but it shouldn't be how it works, even on one station. I've really enjoyed XM in my car over the past year, now I'm considering cancelling and just going back to my iPod.

Just my 2 cents.

Howard
Not to start a Sirius vs XM flame war, but I personally like Sirius. I like their station lineup better and the quality of their disc jockies seem a lot better. I travel a lot and often get XM in a rental and miss my Sirius...

-Greg

toby10
2008-11-29, 11:26
If you use my Sirius plugin instead of the 'official' plugin you do not have to pay the extra $3/month... however the extra $3 gets you higher audio quality for either plugin.

www.gregbrown.net

-Greg

Ah, cool. :)

Howard Passman
2008-11-29, 14:53
Not to start a Sirius vs XM flame war, but I personally like Sirius. I like their station lineup better and the quality of their disc jockies seem a lot better. I travel a lot and often get XM in a rental and miss my Sirius...

-Greg

Greg, Of course your opinion is as valid as mine :-) I prefer no disc jockies at all and the stations I was listening to didn't have much chatter. I'm just kind of bummed because it was perfect for me in the car. Pandora is working well at home so.......

Considering the issue with folks who do have XM in there car (built in) I wish the XM/Sirius thing would work where if you had one or the other subscription, that you could add the oppositie one for the add on fee of the first. ie: if you were paying $12.95 for XM, that you could add a Sirius subscription for $5.95 on a different player. We have XM in one of our cars (Nissan) and Sirius would be needed in the other. Sucks to have to pay $12.95 for each instead of $12.95 for the first and 5.95 for the second. I will eventually probably cancel both.

Howard

Mark Miksis
2008-11-29, 14:59
I think I'd much rather have a squeezebox with 3G so I could listen to Pandora in my car :-)