PDA

View Full Version : transition between tracks

guidol
2008-11-28, 16:03
Hi,

I've a question about the squeezebox duet regarding the time needed between songs.
Let me try to explain: Mix albums have tracks that follow up on each other. I've tried to play such albums with a PS3 but between songs, when the streaming of a new file must start, it needs to stream a few seconds before it starts to play resulting in a pause between songs. This is not desirable when one tracks goes over in the next.
How does the squeezebox handle this? Am I going to notice transitions from one track to another? Or are several tracks really going to sound like one whole?

Someone who has experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks!

maggior
2008-11-28, 18:07
Gaps like you describe are annoying, aren't they?

The squeezebox will play native formats gapless - WAV, FLAC, and mp3. It was one of the feature that attracted me to buy a couple of years ago.

For mp3 playback to be gapless, the files must have been encoded with a version of the LAME codec which supports gapless information. This has been around for a few years at least and can easily be obtained.

For formats that aren't native, there will be a slight gap of less that .5 seconds. It is noticable, but is preceived as a momentary dropout rather than a large gap.

Hope that helps.

radish
2008-11-28, 18:57
Just to note that Ogg Vorbis is also native and gapless on SB.

guidol
2008-11-29, 02:58
Gaps like you describe are annoying, aren't they?
the files must have been encoded with a version of the LAME codec which supports gapless information.Hope that helps.

That's what I wanted to hear. This is Great!

I didn't encode these files myself. Is there any way to check if the LAME codec was used and that the gapless information is there?

Mark Lanctot
2008-12-01, 08:46
Is there any way to check if the LAME codec was used and that the gapless information is there?

I would *guess* that a hex editor would show this. Just look at the start and at the end, the rest is garbage characters.

I tried this, it shows the album, artist, genre tags at the start, I'm guessing this is where gap data would be, however my files don't have gap data. The files would have to have been ripped an entire album at a time using a ripper that could detect gaps - not all of them can do this. If the files are more than about 5 years old there's very little chance that they were ripped with such a ripper or that they were encoded with a LAME encoder version that supported gap data.

guidol
2008-12-01, 08:54
It seems that FooBar2000 has some functionality to show this Gap information. I didn't try this yet but using a hexeditor is way too cumbersome and not a real option...

andyg
2008-12-01, 09:18
In Foobar2000, you can right click on a file, select Properties, and click the Properties tab. This will show you the encoder version used and whether the file has gapless information or not. Gapless information is listed under "Other" as ENC_DELAY and ENC_PADDING. If your files have this info there is a pretty good chance it will play gapless. I say pretty good, because it's still possible to have gaps if, for example, the file was not encoded from a lossless source to begin with.

maggior
2008-12-01, 09:56
I would *guess* that a hex editor would show this. Just look at the start and at the end, the rest is garbage characters.

I tried this, it shows the album, artist, genre tags at the start, I'm guessing this is where gap data would be, however my files don't have gap data. The files would have to have been ripped an entire album at a time using a ripper that could detect gaps - not all of them can do this. If the files are more than about 5 years old there's very little chance that they were ripped with such a ripper or that they were encoded with a LAME encoder version that supported gap data.

I think the gaps detected by the ripper are different than the data that is provided by the "gapless tags" with LAME mp3 files. I can take audo recorded via the line-in, split it into tracks, and encode to LAME mp3 and get gapless results.

At one point in time, you had to encode the tracks that made up an album together and in sequence. In the encoder program, you put a placemarker in the track listing indicating that a new album was starting. This is not the case any more.