PDA

View Full Version : Integrating MusicIP and SqueezeCentre

wreford
2008-11-26, 09:40
I have been trying to set up the squeezecentre and musicip. I am a relative PC novice, but have tried following instructions on the MusicIP wiki (though don't really understand what it all means) - I have also tried following SpiceFly's instructions on setting up headless MiP in windows XP. (I have SqueezeCentre 7.2.1 and MiP 1.8.1b, both running on the same laptop). But I still can't seem to get things working properly - though I'm not sure if I set the MusicIP GUI Services Port correctly.

I have configured the following:

MusicIP GUI Services Port: 10003 (SpiceFly recommends changing this to 10003 while setting up headless mode - but didn't make clear whether it should be change back again to 10002 after configuring the headless Port?);

Headless MusicIP Port: 10002

I have also apparently successfully configured the headless cache in the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\default.m3lib.

My slimserver is on http://localhost:9000/

On Squeezecentre, I have configured the Plugins settings for MusicIP to Port 10002

I also downloaded SpiceFly's fix to make sure that MusicIP starts up before Slimserver when rebooting, so I know MiP needs to run before Slimserver.

I have 3,858 songs in the MusicIP, of which 2,976 are validated - all flac format - and scanning has now completed.

However:

I have tried re-scanning my library in squeezecentre but cannot see any of those mm's icons we are meant to see - nor does my MiP 'Send to' function work - though I have selected the slimserver as default player in Options/Send to

What am I doing wrong?! help! very frustrated by my lack of progress..

Bert57
2008-11-26, 12:17
I had many of the same problems and struggled for days.
One of the things I had to do to get it to work was to leave the Music Folder in squeezecenter settings blank and rescan.
Your settings seem to be correct so try the rescan.
You may also find that the "mm" is not there but by hovering over the "m" icon on the web gui you will see "musicip mix". If using spicefly just pick a single song and see if it shows a now playing and a second one to play next.
hth
Steve

wreford
2008-11-26, 14:18
Steve - thanks for that advice. I tried clearing the music folder in squeezecentre blank and then "cleared the library and rescanned everything". It then showed MusicIP Import in the scan progress window, which appeared to import all the files as before, but with the v exciting development that the M logo was clearly visible next to the play button on songs in SqueezeCentre, and also on my Transporter. I got very excited, only to find the transporter then would not play any songs. If I press play, it just scrolls rapidly though all the sounds on an album and then stops.

Almost as if the library record is there but the files are missing, so nothing to play.

Did you ever find this happen? Should I restore the music folder path in squeezecentre after rescanning/importing the library from MiP?

Bert57
2008-11-26, 15:44
Sorry! Don't know anything about Transporter. I struggle daily trying to learn about SC and all of the extras it is capable of.
Does everything work using Squeezecenter? Can you play music through your squeezecenter? Can you play using musicip? If so I would check configuration between squeezecenter and transporter.
Are you certain the musicip plugin and sugarcube work with transporter?
I have not reentered the music path. SC just used musicip for the rescan as I understand it.
Would suggest a call to support if you don't get a response from someone more knowledgable than me. Also posting the question in 3rd party plugins discussion area might get more replies. Was transporter working previously?
Really hope you get this worked out. I know how frustrating it is. Been there often.
Hang in there. It really is worth the effort.
Steve

Philip Meyer
2008-11-27, 01:19
>One of the things I had to do to get it to work was to leave the Music
>Folder in squeezecenter settings blank and rescan.
I really wouldn't recommend that. I think that was only suggested by support to fix issues with songs being duplicated in the library. However, it is much better to retrieve music via SqueezeCenter's scanner, and use MusicIP just for identifying mixable tracks.

There are reasons for this:
1. MusicIP can't understand as many formats as the SC scanner.
2. MusicIP doesn't understand tags as well as SC.
3. MusicIP does weird stuff with missing tags. eg. ALBUM=Miscellaneous if you haven't got an album tag.

In new versions of the SqueezeCenter MusicIP plugin, it can be configured to only look for the mixable status of a track, and not read all tag information into the SC library. This avoids the above problems, but more importantly it scans a lot faster.

Philip Meyer
2008-11-27, 01:21
Did you try using the MusicIP web interface to find mixable tracks?

http://localhost:10002/server

This should show how many tracks are in MusicIP and how many are mixable. There are various other buttons available for testing MusicIP on this screen.

wreford
2008-11-27, 04:55
>Did you try using the MusicIP web interface to find mixable tracks?
>http://localhost:10002/server
>This should show how many tracks are in MusicIP and how many are mixable. T

Philip, I'm at work so need to check later, but I'm pretty sure that it showed something like 2,800/3,400 tracks were mixable. The mixing certainly works in MusicIP and on SpiceFly's headless interface.

>>One of the things I had to do to get it to work was to leave the Music
>>Folder in squeezecenter settings blank and rescan.
>I really wouldn't recommend that. I think that was only suggested by >support to fix issues with songs being duplicated in the library. However, >it is much better to retrieve music via SqueezeCenter's scanner, and use >MusicIP just for identifying mixable tracks.

I did try to re-enter music folder in Squeezecentre last night but the problem I now have is that the Squeezecentre is no longer recognising my external (NAS) drive, which I have mapped as G:\ - it was fine before, but I can now only select drives on my laptop (C:\ and D:\). I'll try and delete the caches and then see if a reconfigure will re-reveal the G:\ music files drive. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on (no doubt another evening down the drain tinkering with it).

wreford
2008-11-27, 05:12
>Does everything work using Squeezecenter? Can you play music through your >squeezecenter? Can you play using musicip? If so I would check >configuration between squeezecenter and transporter.
>Are you certain the musicip plugin and sugarcube work with transporter?

Steve - I think the Transporter works the same as Squeezbox, it just has a bit fancier hardware inside - but I also have a squeezebox in the bedroom and that has the same problem - as does the SoftSqueeze which I downloaded last night to test (that's the virtual squeezebox that plays on the laptop). It all works fine if I just use MusicIP and play through my laptop speakers. The Transporter/Squeezebox were working fine until I cleared the library folder path and re-scanned the library, importing from MusicIP. This apparently successfully repopulated the library with the crucial M logo but they just won't play.

>Would suggest a call to support if you don't get a response from someone more knowledgable than me.

I tried calling them last night but unfortunately it's a US toll-free number and since I'm in the UK it kept hanging up on me. For some reason the support pages don't list an international IDD number. Tried sending them an e-mail but no response yet... another 4 hours down the drain last night - should listening to music be this complicated?!

Philip Meyer
2008-11-27, 05:47
I did try to re-enter music folder in Squeezecentre last night but the problem I now have is that the Squeezecentre is no longer recognising my external (NAS) drive, which I have mapped as G:\
The important thing to remember is that music path that MusicIP scans for files should be exactly the same as the SC library path. eg. if you mounted the NAS drive as G:\ and added that path into MusicIP, then SC's music library should be set to read the files through exactly the same path, otherwise it will think they are different files and not be mixable (and maybe cause duplicated files in SC - if you have the MusicIP plugin set to read all music data, rather than just look for mixable status).

Bert57
2008-11-28, 11:38
Wreford
Did you manage to get it working? Been thinking about your problem since early this morning.
Steve

wreford
2008-11-28, 17:20
Steve - nope - no further progress. I tried installing 7.3 last night to see if that made any difference but unfortunately not. I still have the same problem when trying to play songs - ie: the squeezebox can't play them.

Meanwhile I have been trying to follow Philip's advice to leave the library path filled in "to retrieve music via SqueezeCenter's scanner, and use MusicIP just for identifying mixable tracks" (which 7.3 does allow you to do - though couldn't find this option in the 7.2.1 MusicIP plugin). Unfortunately the damn thing now won't read my G drive so I can't fill in the correct drive.

I think I might have to uninstall everything and start again - but the thought of that fills me with gloom and I think I might just forget about MusicIP except for mixing iPod playlists.

Not impressed by Logitec support though - still no response to my support e-mail and phones don't get through from Europe.

wreford
2008-11-28, 17:24
[QUOTE=Philip Meyer;364139]>One of the things I had to do to get it to work was to leave the Music
>Folder in squeezecenter settings blank and rescan.
I really wouldn't recommend that. I think that was only suggested by support to fix issues with songs being duplicated in the library. However, it is much better to retrieve music via SqueezeCenter's scanner, and use MusicIP just for identifying mixable tracks.

Philip - what I don't get about this is that on all the Wikis/stickys I can find on the subject, they all seem to recommend leaving the folder blank - so if the new correct procedure is to fill in the folder settings, how come no one at logitec support has updated the support pages? Or are they just rubbish?!

I'll try your suggestion as soon as I can get mu squeezecentre to recognise the external NAS drive (so far it's only seeing my internal C and D drives.

Siduhe
2008-11-28, 17:32
On the Support - it's Thanksgiving weekend in the US - may be having an impact on response times.

Apologies if you've been directed to this already, but have you looked at the Spicefly pages? I've always found them pretty straightforward to follow.

http://spicefly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=16&Itemid=32

As for it not recognising your G:/ drive. Sounds dumb but try rebooting whichever machine SC and MIP is running on (they are running on the same box, aren't they?). If the connection to G:/ is lost, SC may not recognise it without a reboot.

wreford
2008-11-28, 17:48
I managed to sort this out by using "the UNC path instead of the mapped path name ie. in my case the path was \\Nas-01-13-59\media\Music\FLAC Files and the squeezecentre accepted that instead of trying to specify G:\

So now I'm going to try Philips advice above...

wreford
2008-11-28, 19:07
>One of the things I had to do to get it to work was to leave the Music Folder in squeezecenter settings blank and rescan.

In new versions of the SqueezeCenter MusicIP plugin, it can be configured to only look for the mixable status of a track, and not read all tag information into the SC library. This avoids the above problems, but more importantly it scans a lot faster.

Philip - tried this - configured the 7.3 plugin as suggested, did a full re-scan with the folder settings pointing to my NAS. So now it has re-built the music folder and plays songs fine again - but there's no "M" logo on the squeezebox or in squeezecentre. aaaargh.. it's 2.00am and I'm of to bed..

wreford
2008-12-01, 15:07
OK - so here's my new theory (I'm going to crack this if it kills me). Now that I figured out the path in SC has to be the UNC path instead of the mapped path name (ie. in my case, \\Nas-01-13-59\media\Music\FLAC Files), I noticed that in MiP the Library path is to the same folder but designated by my mapped network drive, ie: G:\
so here's what I'm testing: I deleted the MiP cache and then re-loaded the Library path using the UNC path - same as in SC - and then ran re-analysed/validated the whole thing. 3 days later, the re-scan has finished.

Now I'm going to try two things:
1) clear and re-scan the SC library, while leaving the UNC path in the music folder:
2) clear and re-scan the SC library,while leaving the music folder blank.

and see if either of these work now that both SC and MiP are using the UNC path

The first re-scan currently in progress....

Philip Meyer
2008-12-01, 15:43
>1) clear and re-scan the SC library, while leaving the UNC path in the
>music folder:

That should do it - I did say in my first post that the path has to be the same.

Phil

wreford
2008-12-01, 16:09
Phil - waaahaay! You were right - Option 1 worked - and I finally generated (and am listening to) my first mix! I hadn't realised that the UNC path and the mapped path would not be treated as the same as they both pointed to the same folder on my NAS. Anyway, very glad that is sorted now: many thanks for your help.
Wreford

SJobson
2008-12-02, 04:13
This sounds very like the problems I had with MiP with Squeezecentre running on OSX. I got the M icons but things wouldn't play; eventually just gave up. I will try again when 7.3 is released properly I think. And when I have some time spare...

In the meantime, I've been copying playlists from iTunes Genius. Ugh, it seems to ignore a large part of my library and, no matter what I start from, seems to end up preferring 80s synth-pop and then going in ever decreasing circles through the same few albums. I assume MiP is rather better than that... ;)

maggior
2008-12-02, 08:01
Yes, MiP is much better than that. Plus, if you find that MiP is getting redundant, you can tweak some parameters to mix it up (pun intended) a bit.

It happens often enough that I'll pick an electronic song as a seed and get some jazz in there. It seems strange to look at, but once the mix plays through, you hear how it made sense. Cool stuff.

MrSinatra
2008-12-02, 08:36
<ignore, wrong thread, sorry!>

Moonbase
2008-12-03, 13:23
Yes, MiP is much better than that. […]

Actually, the reason for me for getting SC and and the SB Classic was that it supports integration with MusicIP. There’s so much in there, I’m still happy I bought it.

Now if only SC would start supporting more than one »base Music Folder« and MusicIP would get their »headless« problems sorted … (i.e. Mood Mixes never work because Moods stored in the wrong place and so on).

Siduhe
2008-12-04, 02:54
Actually, the reason for me for getting SC and and the SB Classic was that it supports integration with MusicIP. There’s so much in there, I’m still happy I bought it.

Now if only...MusicIP would get their »headless« problems sorted … (i.e. Mood Mixes never work because Moods stored in the wrong place and so on).

The Mood Mix problem is both Windows and headless specific, I believe. You may have already seen my thread about a workaround whilst they get it sorted. Just copy the contents of your Moods folder in Docs&Settings/AppData to the MusicIP installation folder. You can keep this copy folder up to date automatically with a batch file running as a scheduled task, or perhaps by using the xcopy command. Is working well for me. Let me know if you'd like more details.

Moonbase
2008-12-04, 12:52
Yeah, we’ve been talking about that in the MusicIP forum (http://forums.musicip.com/index.php?showtopic=3760&st=0&p=15346&#entry15346).

Only I fear as long as we don’t get the same path names in SC and MIP (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=366158#post366158) all efforts for »real« integration will be in vain.