Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MOMENTUM
    • Oct 2008

Level Equalization Plug-in ????

Just wondering if anyone has seen a plug-in that can cut/boot signal to a preset level prior to output.

With varying levels of source files it would be great to be able to have a constant level when playing play lists or during random play

Thanx

- - - peter
  • andyg
    Former Squeezebox Guy
    • Jan 2006

You need to add ReplayGain tags to all of your files. For one way to do this, see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RGFoobar

Comment

• MOMENTUM
      • Oct 2008

Just make sure i understand this correctly.
      I can do this to my whole collection at once

i just finished ripping my whole collection to flac.
      thats 1800 plus albums

i want to make sure I do not cause and file damage as i am selling of all my cds

what does the Smart Gain feature do in slimserver

thanx for the quick reply

Comment

• GeeJay
        • May 2007

Use foobar2000. It won't hurt your files. Make sure you choose "Scan selection as albums (by tags)". That way you'll get both track gain (so you have consistent volume during random play) and album gain (so if you play an album the amount of gain is the same on all tracks).

Then make sure Settings/Player/Audio has Smart Gain set for Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain.

Works like a champ. And it's easy to tag an entire directory of tracks (you just pick the directory).
        I’m down to one SB Touch and a Raspberry Pi. Mac Mini as a server (OS X Catalina). iPeng is my controller of choice. LMS 7.9.4. Erland’s plug ins are what keep me in the ecosystem.

Comment

• aubuti
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by MOMENTUM
          i want to make sure I do not cause and file damage as i am selling of all my cds
          Umm, I'm not sure I want to wade into this topic, but as you're a fairly new member I will. If you sell your CDs and keep the FLAC copies you're on rather shaky ground (at best) in terms of copyright infringement....
          Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
          Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
          Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
          Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
          Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
          Bedroom: SB Radio
          Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
          LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• MOMENTUM
            • Oct 2008

This process is, from what I have read, good for albums that have similar dynamic range (compression levels) but varying max db levels.
            But when it comes to older rock cds (lets say 10-15) years ago which have a large dynamic range (less compression) but still have a max db level at 0db …this is where the problems occurs.

Most of the problems with levels occur in older recording with both 0db max level but a wide dynamic range.

I guess I will give it a try..Can’t hurt.

***On the side point of copyright infringement I see no issues. From what in know in Canada you are entitled to make one back-up copy. This is that I did. I paid for this collection over many years and have picture proof that it existed. It is my right to sell. Over the years cds that are used may get scratched etc so I am backing up to protect my investment. I see no reason why I cannot sell what I own as long as I am not copying file for others
            None of this collection will be available for online sharing

Thanks for the input

Comment

• moley6knipe
              • Feb 2007

Yeah, the process isn't 100% foolproof for sure, but its considerably better than not using it when your collection gets to this sort of size! And you've got nothing to lose by adding RG tags - you can always delete them later if you need to, or just turn off SC's gain settings.

I've just done all my Apple Lossless with dBpoweramp, and that's worked a treat. One word of warning - if you haven't backed all your files up, do it before you run a batch job like this; e.g. in my case a bug in dB stripped all of my sort tags off the files. Having just had to reinstall WinXP due to sys drive failure I've now got 4 backup drives. Paranoid? Yes!
              Win7 > iTunes 10.5 > SBS 7.5.4 > iPeng > Squeezebox 3 / Boom / iPhone > ears

Comment

• exile
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by aubuti
                Umm, I'm not sure I want to wade into this topic, but as you're a fairly new member I will. If you sell your CDs and keep the FLAC copies you're on rather shaky ground (at best) in terms of copyright infringement....
                With all due respect Aubuti, what the heck are you referring to? i think people have the freedom to do whatever they want with their music collections-including selling off all of their cd's once they're ripped (as I did a few years ago when I ripped my library.)

Comment

• Siduhe
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by exile
                  With all due respect Aubuti, what the heck are you referring to? i think people have the freedom to do whatever they want with their music collections-including selling off all of their cd's once they're ripped (as I did a few years ago when I ripped my library.)
                  With apologies to the OP for going further off-topic, this may be more or less of an issue depending on where you are based geographically. In the UK for example, the purchase of a physical CD is considered as the purchase of a licence for your right to play the music from the physical medium. Sell the CD and you have technically lost your licence to hold a copy of the music in electronic form and can be done for copyright infringement.

I believe that the same approach is being pushed by the authorities in the US (i.e. you lose your right to fair use of the music when you sell the licence comprised in the original CD). However, the situation is a bit more complex there as the US has a doctrine of fair use (unlike the UK), meaning that the copy can legitimately be created in the first place. This makes it much harder to argue that selling the CD invalidates the legality of retaining the rip (the RIAA would have to argue that the fair use rip is subject to an implied licence on the same terms as the playback of the original CD - not a particularly attractive argument). Unsurprisingly, I've never heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for selling their original CDs, unless they then shared the rips taken from them before sale.

However, since the forum rules on (not) promoting copyright infringement are clear - I think it's a fair point for aubuti to raise. The OP has responded and he's formed his own view on it, so all good.
                  Last edited by Siduhe; 2008-11-26, 16:26.
                  Who am I on LAST.FM?
                  "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• exile
                    • Mar 2006

Thanks for the clarification of the forum position siduhe.

Comment

• Goodsounds
                      • Nov 2007

I'm not an IP lawyer, but I believe Siduhe and aubuti are correct.

It's my understanding that the right to make and use copies for "backup" and personal purposes (part of the fair use doctrine) is given to the owner of the CD. No longer own the CD? No longer have the rights. The laws do vary from place to place. But the fair use doctrine was viewed as a loosening of normal copyright protection, because in its absence, these assumed actions were potentially a copyright violation.

Comment

• Rick B.
                        • Dec 2006

If you plan to sell your CD's be sure to make at least one full backup onto a separate hard drive - maybe even two backups, with one stored in another location.

Comment

• MOMENTUM
                          • Oct 2008

I am backing up as we speak

one HD about approx 1TB in wave and on the other hd approx 700gb in flac

once done I will pack it up/double pack it seal it twice and send to family member for safe keeping.

just in case!

thanx for all the input

on a side note...BOY DO I LOVE THIS THING.
                          I am listening to much more of my music colection then ever before!!
                          what a great product!!!

Comment

Working...