PDA

View Full Version : MP-3's ripped in I-tunes - gapless?

yesongs
2008-11-25, 06:53
Hello all

I'm very close to buying a duet, just wanted to know if MP-3's ripped in I-tunes play back without gaps on continous tracks

Any info is appreciated

E

moley6knipe
2008-11-26, 08:44
You should (I think) be able to test this before you buy. Download the latest 7.2.1 SqueezeCenter release, point it your files and play them using the SC web interface. Then you can use SoftSqueeze (a software, desktop based version of the hardware players that comes with the current downloads) to try things out.

garym
2008-11-26, 09:14
I've found that SC plays MP3 files encoded with LAME gapless. Also true for FLAC files. But MP3 files encoded with older fhg encoders and with ITUNES do NOT playback gapless. Not sure about AAC from ITUNES but I suspect the same. By the way, all of these do playback gapless from ITUNES itself because of some sort of "trick" ITUNES uses in guessing gapless. But even ITUNES uses the gapless info in a LAME mp3 to play it gapless.

yesongs
2008-11-26, 13:48
By the way, all of these do playback gapless from ITUNES itself because of some sort of "trick" ITUNES uses in guessing gapless.

So, I can play back my MP-3's through my Squeezebox using I-tunes / accessing remotely?

Sounds like I may be in "in" if thats true

Thanks for the replies

E

maggior
2008-11-26, 18:42
No, what he is saying is that iTunes plays some trick to play non-LAME encode mp3 files gapless in iTunes and on the iPod.

If I have time this weekend, I'll rip Abbey Road by The Beatles in iTunes this weekend and see if it plays back gapless through my squeezeboxes. This is the only way to get a definitive answer to this question.

As I said in another thread, softsqueeze will not play mp3 or even FLAC files gapless, so this is not a valid test for gapless playback. A hardware device must be used to test this.

I'd hate to see you turn down the squeezebox box solution on conjecture. Let me see what I can do.