PDA

View Full Version : iPeng Application 1.0 now on the App Store

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Siriosys
2008-11-25, 00:29
Hi all,

Just happened to see iPeng pop up on the iTunes Apps store!!

.....and before anybody asks the question - Yes I have paid and displayed :-)

.........and now for an evening of comparing this and Squigy.

pippin
2008-11-25, 01:33
You liked the iPeng skin? Just thought a WebApp is too slow? Well, then we’ve got something for you:

Explore iPeng usability and iPhone speed with the iPeng 1.0 now on the iPhone App Store.

It’s the ultimate remote control software for Logitech® Squeezebox™ players and the SqueezeCenter server. Have full control over the music all over your home with your iPhone or iPod touch.

We told you it would come and we told you it would have limited functionality but Coolio has been an insisting Penguin, so now it does already give you a bit more than originally expected. Here are the highlights:

* Explore your music library at unprecedented ease: Browse your library categories at our wingtips and select one of “play”, “add” or “add next”. And do that on any level that has playable content with the “touch-and-hold” gesture. Available Categories are
o Albums, Artists, Genres, Playlists, Favorites

* NowPlaying screen with multi-page controls: Let’s you do all player related activities in one place
* Play Internet Radio, Music Services and Podcasts: Everything that can be accessed through SqueezeCenter can be accessed through iPeng. Including Search, Artwork and all the other goodies. With the same playback functionality as for the library (as available for streaming content)

* Manage, simultaneously control and synchronize all your Squeezebox™ players and servers with iPeng’s MultiPlayer control: iPeng’s MultiPlayer control now is the main dashboard to select , manage and control your players. And Servers.

* Manage your playlist: Re-order and directly play the Tracks on the current playlist.

* Have full control over your player features: shuffle, repeat, rate songs, love and ban tracks for music services and much more. On the overlay of the artwork screen. Just as you know it from iPeng.

* Full localization through SqueezeCenter: iPeng itself is currently English only, but most menu items and texts are fully localized as of your server setting.

Now on the iPhone App Store for $9.99.

Download and have fun!

iPeng Application now on the App Store

You liked the iPeng skin? Just thought a WebApp is too slow? Well, then we’ve got something for you:

Explore iPeng usability and iPhone speed with the iPeng 1.0 now on the iPhone App Store.

It’s the ultimate remote control software for Logitech® Squeezebox™ players and the SqueezeCenter server. Have full control over the music all over your home with your iPhone or iPod touch.

We told you it would come and we told you it would have limited functionality but Coolio has been an insisting Penguin, so now it does already give you a bit more than originally expected. Here are the highlights:

* Explore your music library at unprecedented ease: Browse your library categories at our wingtips and select one of “play”, “add” or “add next”. And do that on any level that has playable content with the “touch-and-hold” gesture. Available Categories are
o Albums, Artists, Genres, Playlists, Favorites

* NowPlaying screen with multi-page controls: Let’s you do all player related activities in one place
* Play Internet Radio, Music Services and Podcasts: Everything that can be accessed through SqueezeCenter can be accessed through iPeng. Including Search, Artwork and all the other goodies. With the same playback functionality as for the library (as available for streaming content)

* Manage, simultaneously control and synchronize all your Squeezebox™ players and servers with iPeng’s MultiPlayer control: iPeng’s MultiPlayer control now is the main dashboard to select , manage and control your players. And Servers.

* Manage your playlist: Re-order and directly play the Tracks on the current playlist.

* Have full control over your player features: shuffle, repeat, rate songs, love and ban tracks for music services and much more. On the overlay of the artwork screen. Just as you know it from iPeng.

* Full localization through SqueezeCenter: iPeng itself is currently English only, but most menu items and texts are fully localized as of your server setting.

Download and have fun!

www.penguinlovesmusic.com/?p=166

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=296941576&mt=8

And... Please... Don't complain about the icon, there are a few things, I simply can't do...

pippin
2008-11-25, 01:33
Hey, you beat me :-)

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=363328

Siriosys
2008-11-25, 01:47
Hi Pippin,

Yep, apologies, didn't mean to steal the thunder..........loyal fan I guess..........I might have even been the first purchaser!!

Spotted it on Appshopper.com

pippin
2008-11-25, 02:01
Hi Pippin,

Yep, apologies, didn't mean to steal the thunder..........loyal fan I guess..........I might have even been the first purchaser!!

Spotted it on Appshopper.com

No problem.
Cool to see you care!

Nonreality
2008-11-25, 02:37
Just bought it and transferring it now. I'll let you know what I think.

Wow, in the first 3 minutes I know it's very fast. Very nice too. My favorites work quick and switching between my library was instantaneous. I didn't notice any loading of the library, it was just there. Very nice my friend.

Nonreality
2008-11-25, 02:58

Very nice so far. It's fast and works perfect. I'm really happy with my first 10 minutes of playing with it. Favorites work great which was a concern since I have all my xm set up there. The library just was there, I didn't notice any delay with setting it up. It just worked. This is very nice.

ram
2008-11-25, 03:15
Very nice interface.

I may be being stupid but I can't find how to add current song to favourites. Has the function not been added to 1.0?

Sike
2008-11-25, 03:21
Can't wait to get home and try it out!!!!

pufnstuf
2008-11-25, 03:22
Thanks Pippin for all your hard work on iPeng. This version is nice and FAST!

I love it so far (approx 15 mins playing around), however on the screen that displays list of players I can't seem to scroll down to see all players in list.

Is there a trick I am missing?

EDIT: Indeed it was user error... :) If I place finger on screen, pause, and *then* flick up or down I can successfully scroll through list of players! yay!

Thanks again!

jazztime
2008-11-25, 03:35
Looks very nice!

Now on the iPhone App Store for $9.99.

How much will future upgrades cost?

Also, does it integrate CustomBrowse?
And is it possible to use Search?

pippin
2008-11-25, 03:44
Very nice interface.

I may be being stupid but I can't find how to add current song to favourites. Has the function not been added to 1.0?

No, it will be in 1.1 but only for server versions from 7.3 on.

Thanks Pippin for all your hard work on iPeng. This version is nice and FAST!

I love it so far (approx 15 mins playing around), however on the screen that displays list of players I can't seem to scroll down to see all players in list.

Is there a trick I am missing?

EDIT: Indeed it was user error... :) If I place finger on screen, pause, and *then* flick up or down I can successfully scroll through list of players! yay!

Thanks again!

Yes, that is one thing that is a little uncomfortable on that view (yet it only affects users with more than three players or several servers). That will be changed in one of the following versions, yet I don't know exactly, when.

Looks very nice!

How much will future upgrades cost?

Also, does it integrate CustomBrowse?
And is it possible to use Search?

Search: yes. Works very well.
Custom Browse: not yet, will be in one of the next updates.

Upgrades: all 1.x upgrades will be free (until at least browse, plugin etc. functionality is complete).
Pricing for other versions is not decided, yet.

vrobin
2008-11-25, 03:54
Judging by the screenshots, you did an incredible work (in the right following of iPeng skin). I'm longing to try it tonight.

Thanks for being such a good contributor of the SB community!

Robin

Borgen
2008-11-25, 04:39
This is so much better then the Squid software..

Super fast, easy to use.

Have only found one issue so far:
If I select podcast I get an error message that the sever cant be found and when I closed this message the iPeng crashed.

But I cant reproduce this error again.

Borgen
2008-11-25, 04:40
This is so much better then the Squid software..

Super fast, easy to use.

Have only found one issue so far:
If I select podcast I get an error message that the sever cant be found and when I closed this message the iPeng crashed.

But I cant reproduce this error again.

Borgen
2008-11-25, 04:43
Hello Pippin,

One thing that would be an real enhancment to this would be to use the volume button on the iPhone to change the volume on the remote player.

Saw that you wrote someting about limitations from Apple but many games uses the volum buttons to change the volume of the sound in the game so I cant see why Apple not would allow you to use the Volume button in iPeng to change the volume of the player

vitoruch
2008-11-25, 04:59
Congratulations for the release, Pippin!!

As I said before, this is gonna be a killer application - worth every cent of the $9,99!

Cheers,

Vitor

pippin
2008-11-25, 04:59
Hello Pippin,

One thing that would be an real enhancment to this would be to use the volume button on the iPhone to change the volume on the remote player.

Saw that you wrote someting about limitations from Apple but many games uses the volum buttons to change the volume of the sound in the game so I cant see why Apple not would allow you to use the Volume button in iPeng to change the volume of the player

You are only allowed to use the buttons to change the volume of the device itself. Are there games that control the volume of anything else?

I did even implement that feature but I will only go out with it when I see some precedence (or maybe when I have a few versions on the App Store)

So far, Apple has been very strict with me on UI issues, part of the delay was because I did get a second rejection because the "loading..." spinners kept spinning indefinitely when you turn on Airline Mode instead of bringing up an error message.
Which is a valid point, and I DO have to admit it came up during the beta, yet it shows that they really care about their guidelines.

Borgen
2008-11-25, 05:30
You are only allowed to use the buttons to change the volume of the device itself. Are there games that control the volume of anything else?

Hmmm stupid limitation.... but then again it is Apple we are talking about. They cant even spell right in their own applications (and I am NOT saying that I am a good "speller" english is not my native language). Saw a post that in the new 2.2 update for the iPhone/iPod the have spelled Categories in this way "Catagories" in the iTunes/podcast part.

You can twist and turn this limitation. You could say that the volume buttons are changing the volume on the iPhone/iPod itself (which it actually does because the volume meter in the application changes) and then the application changes the volume on the remote player which apperently are allowed today because that is what you do today.

bugmenot
2008-11-25, 06:05
Upgrades: all 1.x upgrades will be free (until at least browse, plugin etc. functionality is complete).
Pricing for other versions is not decided, yet.Does the App Store work this way? AFAIK the model is that once you buy the app, you are entitled to all updates.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2008-11-25, 06:13
This is a great app .Well worth the 9.99 .

Pippin, I don't know how you feel about this but when
you hit the album artwork to play the album you do not go directly to the whats playing
screen.You need to flick your finger to get it there.

pippin
2008-11-25, 06:20
This is a great app .Well worth the 9.99 .

Pippin, I don't know how you feel about this but when
you hit the album artwork to play the album you do not go directly to the whats playing
screen.You need to flick your finger to get it there.

So you feel it should? It also doesn't do this on the "Touch-And-Hold" gesture

pippin
2008-11-25, 06:22
Does the App Store work this way? AFAIK the model is that once you buy the app, you are entitled to all updates.

Not necessarily. AFAIK, you can decide whether an upgrade is free or paid.
However, I didn't go into details, I don't plan any paid upgrades soon, all the next ones will be free.

neilcoburn
2008-11-25, 06:40
It's working really well for me. MusicIP integration would be wonderful - is this likely any time soon?

AndyWright
2008-11-25, 06:44
WOW !

This is a brilliant app! When I first installed it I didn't think it was working - no prompts for the server's IP address, no downloading of the SC database... It *just works* ! Within seconds you're browsing your music collection and playing music :) And it's *Fast* !

A couple of questions - how do I get to the love/ban icons for LastFM?, and is MusicIP supported? I don't see any icons for creating a MusicIP-generated playlist so I'm guessing the answer here is No :)

A couple of observations from the first hour or so of usage;

I find the volume control difficult to use - it seems to be very choosy about the touch-sensitive area. This applies to the 'main' volume bar at the bottom, and even more so on the individual volume controls on the multi-player control page.

The edit-playlist seems to drop out of editing mode for no reason, sometimes a fraction of a second after entering edit mode, sometimes after a few tens of seconds.

Those minor niggles apart, iPeng is a joy to use. Did I mention it's fast? :)

Heimiko
2008-11-25, 06:44
Not necessarily. AFAIK, you can decide whether an upgrade is free or paid.
However, I didn't go into details, I don't plan any paid upgrades soon, all the next ones will be free.

Great to hear!

Are there any plans to support local playback? (through the stream.mp3 for example) to get around the streaming issue the iPhone has with any mp3 streams....

pippin
2008-11-25, 07:07
WOW !

This is a brilliant app! When I first installed it I didn't think it was working - no prompts for the server's IP address, no downloading of the SC database... It *just works* ! Within seconds you're browsing your music collection and playing music :) And it's *Fast* !

Isn't that how it's supposed to be? ;-)

A couple of questions - how do I get to the love/ban icons for LastFM?, and is MusicIP supported? I don't see any icons for creating a MusicIP-generated playlist so I'm guessing the answer here is No :)

Love/Ban shows up like on the web skins: in place of the shuffle/repeat icons on the NowPlaying overlay. You get to that by clicking on the empty cover art screen on NowPlaying. That's also where TrackStat rating is.

MusicIP: Not yet, sorry for that, will be in one of the next upgrades.
I think Michael suggested to put MIP playlists into favorites.

I find the volume control difficult to use - it seems to be very choosy about the touch-sensitive area. This applies to the 'main' volume bar at the bottom, and even more so on the individual volume controls on the multi-player control page.

Yes, an observation I have also made on Apple's own remote (yet not on the iPod application). We had quite a bit of discussion around this during beta and it's a bit of a tradeoff. The default behavior of that slider is that you can click anywhere and it will jump to that position, but most testers thought that's a bad behavior because you can easily change your volume by accident. Now you have to drag the handle (BTW, that's how Apple themselves do it, too, although their own control doesn't support that mode "out of the box"!) which for some reason sometimes seems to be hard to hit.
I'll try to further improve it.

The edit-playlist seems to drop out of editing mode for no reason, sometimes a fraction of a second after entering edit mode, sometimes after a few tens of seconds.

OOps. I'll investigate.
That it drops out after a while is on purpose because the edit mode blocks updates to the playlist (e.g. through the playlist changing in the background, as is the case for dynamic playlists).
That's due to a strange error in Apple's UITableView controller class that drops elements from the list when updating while dragging something. I'll also investigate if that's still an issue with 2.2
[/QUOTE]

Great to hear!

Are there any plans to support local playback? (through the stream.mp3 for example) to get around the streaming issue the iPhone has with any mp3 streams....

Definitely.

danny041
2008-11-25, 07:26
Think i was one of the first to download it, but been away now for 48h so have not been able to test it. Just want to go home, download it to my other iphones and play around. If it is as good as I hope, i will buy an ipod touch as well to use as a dedicated remote, leaving the original remote to be placed in the bathroom or something.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2008-11-25, 07:31
So you feel it should? It also doesn't do this on the "Touch-And-Hold" gesture

I'm not sure yet.I'll have to play around with it some more when I get home from work.

By the way,the Rhapsody New music category is brilliant.Many times I add
new music and forget what i added and it just gets lost in the mix( i add lots of music)

AndyWright
2008-11-25, 07:37
Isn't that how it's supposed to be? ;-)

Love/Ban shows up like on the web skins: in place of the shuffle/repeat icons on the NowPlaying overlay. You get to that by clicking on the empty cover art screen on NowPlaying. That's also where TrackStat rating is.

MusicIP: Not yet, sorry for that, will be in one of the next upgrades.
I think Michael suggested to put MIP playlists into favorites.

Yes, an observation I have also made on Apple's own remote (yet not on the iPod application). We had quite a bit of discussion around this during beta and it's a bit of a tradeoff. The default behavior of that slider is that you can click anywhere and it will jump to that position, but most testers thought that's a bad behavior because you can easily change your volume by accident. Now you have to drag the handle (BTW, that's how Apple themselves do it, too, although their own control doesn't support that mode "out of the box"!) which for some reason sometimes seems to be hard to hit.
I'll try to further improve it.

OOps. I'll investigate.
That it drops out after a while is on purpose because the edit mode blocks updates to the playlist (e.g. through the playlist changing in the background, as is the case for dynamic playlists).
That's due to a strange error in Apple's UITableView controller class that drops elements from the list when updating while dragging something. I'll also investigate if that's still an issue with 2.2

OK, I'll go hide under a rock... I wasn't playing tracks via Last.fm - hence no icons.... Now that I'm streaming something from LastFM I can see the icons :) D'oh !

Points taken re. the volume control - I definitely agree it's better to slide the control than have the 'click anywhere'. I've actually got more used to it now, I was trying to be too precise with my fingertip - I find if I'm more ham-fisted it works better :)

I've been trying to see if there's a pattern to the edit playlist dropping out but can't really see one. I guess it could just be happening whenever the server is polled?

Would there be any way of being able to delete multiple tracks from the playlist? Deleting more than 4 or 5 can get a bit tedious.

Andy.

pippin
2008-11-25, 07:49
I've been trying to see if there's a pattern to the edit playlist dropping out but can't really see one. I guess it could just be happening whenever the server is polled?

I believe the pattern is: there's a fixed timer that becomes set whenever the list scrolls vertically and I think I simply don't always reset that one when you enter edit mode. So when it's almost through (I think after 17s or so, all timers in iPeng are set to prime values to make them fire at the same time as seldom as possible) it will immediately drop back.
I'll fix it for the next update.

Would there be any way of being able to delete multiple tracks from the playlist? Deleting more than 4 or 5 can get a bit tedious.

Actually that's one of the enhancements I'm currently working on.
Good to talk to you about this: there's two options I consider:
#1 select several and drop them at once.
#2 (preferred right now): drop the track immediately without confirmation - after all you don't delete anything.

Which one do you prefer?

AndyWright
2008-11-25, 08:09
Actually that's one of the enhancements I'm currently working on.
Good to talk to you about this: there's two options I consider:
#1 select several and drop them at once.
#2 (preferred right now): drop the track immediately without confirmation - after all you don't delete anything.

Which one do you prefer?

I'd prefer option 2 - fewer taps required, 1 tap to enter edit mode, tap the delete icon on each track, tap again to leave edit mode.

Option 1 is more Apple-like though if you compare this with deleting multiple emails for example.

m1abrams
2008-11-25, 08:12
Well as soon as I saw this app on iTunes I picked it up. I have been using the skin and knew that as soon as iPeng made a native app that I would support it.

Now I just have to wait til I get home from work to actually play with it. Keep up the good work.

ds2021
2008-11-25, 08:30
I also picked it up as soon as I saw it. My experience in running the app through various hypothetical usage-scenarios has been quite positive. I have raved about the skin's simultaneous multi-player control functionality in the past, and absolutely love the native app's improvements on this. iPeng is great with one player, but if you have more than one it really is mandatory.

AndyWright
2008-11-25, 08:37
I'd prefer option 2 - fewer taps required, 1 tap to enter edit mode, tap the delete icon on each track, tap again to leave edit mode.

Option 1 is more Apple-like though if you compare this with deleting multiple emails for example.

Having second thoughts about this - Option 2 might make it too easy to accidentally remove a track from the playlist. Option 1 has the benefit that you can change your mind before tapping the Done (or whatever) button to submit the remove request.

vitoruch
2008-11-25, 08:42
If it is as good as I hope, i will buy an ipod touch as well to use as a dedicated remote, leaving the original remote to be placed in the bathroom or something.

That´s the fundamental difference between native ipeng and it´s old skin versions. For the 1st time, I really feel like throwing away the remote :)

ddewey
2008-11-25, 08:52
Quoting m1abrams (m1abrams.3jfsqz1227626101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Well as soon as I saw this app on iTunes I picked it up. I have been
> using the skin and knew that as soon as iPeng made a native app that I
> would support it.
>
> Now I just have to wait til I get home from work to actually play with
> it. Keep up the good work.

Same here. Thinking about running home for lunch just to try it
out. :-)

Thanks Pippin!

jhonsberger@msn.com
2008-11-25, 09:07
That´s the fundamental difference between native ipeng and it´s old skin versions. For the 1st time, I really feel like throwing away the remote :)

I couln't agree more

Gixser
2008-11-25, 09:43
Anyone know of a video of iPeng native in action? I would love to see it running before I make my decision between controller and iPeng/iTouch.

Thanks

HectorHughMunro
2008-11-25, 09:48
That was a good £6's worth; Thank you Pippin.

If I were buying again from scratch, I would probably not have bought the handset and spent the money on Audiocom or Boulder digital mods instead.

The good thing about apps at this price level is that I can buy both Ipeng and Squidgy and not feel I have to make the choice.

lanierb
2008-11-25, 10:15
Picked it up last night and I'm super happy with it. Things I liked best:

- NO SETUP AT ALL! It just worked from the start.
- Rhapsody functionality is the best I've seen. Finally Rhapsody is easy to use.
- Very fast in general.
- Nice multiplayer control.

Way to go Pippin!

pippin
2008-11-25, 10:20
- Rhapsody functionality is the best I've seen. Finally Rhapsody is easy to use.

Now this is cool. You know: I've NEVER seen Rhapsody on iPeng myself...
The whole Internet Radio and Music Sources thing is pretty much modeled based on Last.fm.

If you could post a screenshot on how Rhapsody (and Pandora) looks on iPeng I would love to add that to my gallery.

Itlan
2008-11-25, 10:32
First off, THANKS! Just picked it up and been a long time user of the web app. I'm getting weird issues where most of the time it's pretty much un-useable.

1.) When I first installed and turned it on it didnt see the SB, but saw the server. When I went out to the Duet remote it didnt see the SB either (first time I have ever had that happen.) So I chalked it up to coincidence and rebooted everything. Everything came up fine!

2.) After the reboot iPeng works, but has horrible lag issues, gets stuck scrolling for 20-30 seconds at a time. Is mostly really really slow. Meanwhile the Duet never has an issue.

I have tried some basic things, making sure the Duet remote is offline. Starting it with the SB already on, already off....every now and then it will work brielfy for a bit, the first 30 seconds then acts like it has run out of resources and just bogs down and never recvoers. Most of the time I have to hard shut the app down..

Will keep testing tonight but for some reason in my setup it aint working very well..

pippin
2008-11-25, 10:41
First off, THANKS! Just picked it up and been a long time user of the web app. I'm getting weird issues where most of the time it's pretty much un-useable.

1.) When I first installed and turned it on it didnt see the SB, but saw the server. When I went out to the Duet remote it didnt see the SB either (first time I have ever had that happen.) So I chalked it up to coincidence and rebooted everything. Everything came up fine!

Do you use authentication?
Usually it helps to wait for 15-30s or so until it shows up.

2.) After the reboot iPeng works, but has horrible lag issues, gets stuck scrolling for 20-30 seconds at a time. Is mostly really really slow. Meanwhile the Duet never has an issue.

I assume you do have a large library?
This happens while iPeng refreshes it's cache. While that's around 30s for most libraries, for big ones it can get a bit longer.
Also, it helpf if you follow the usual use case of using one Menu (like Albums or Artists) at a time, while I DO understand that's not what you do when you first test something :-)
I tested it up to ~3.000 Albums and with that size it DOES get a bit slow for one or two minutes.

The problem here is, that SqueezeCenter is unable to deliver a list of Albums or Artists that is usable for the A-Z index, so I have to sort the library and build an index myself. That's in the same thread right now and can take several seconds on large libraries (at the end of the downloading period).
iPeng caches the data, however, so you will only see this on the first start or after a rescan.
I would LOVE to avoid to have this after rescans but SC can't give me change information, so there is no way around this.

I have tried some basic things, making sure the Duet remote is offline. Starting it with the SB already on, already off....every now and then it will work brielfy for a bit, the first 30 seconds then acts like it has run out of resources and just bogs down and never recvoers. Most of the time I have to hard shut the app down..

Will keep testing tonight but for some reason in my setup it aint working very well..

Wait for the 30s, after that it should work better. The Controller has no influence on that.

One more thing: Do you have a slow server? Did you have a very long current playlist (like with several 100 items)?

MrSinatra
2008-11-25, 10:47
maybe geting changes only should be a consideration for the new schema? perhaps it already is, do you know? or is it not applicable?

pippin
2008-11-25, 10:51
maybe geting changes only should be a consideration for the new schema? perhaps it already is, do you know? or is it not applicable?

I did already file a bug on this a few month ago but so far it looks undecided to me.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8753

If you see the last comment, that's pretty much what I would need. I can live with not tracking deletions since I can detect those against my database.

danny041
2008-11-25, 12:01
Ok, just got home and have had 20 mins to test the application. As stated for Squidgy, I'm no fanboi of this product either, but gotdamn!

To be a little more precise. You start the program, and that's it. It works 1 second later. Ok, i "only" have +900 albums, but there are no initializing time, no scanning time, no nothing. Furthermore, iPeng has the smartest multiplayercontrol feature I have seen. This is exactly the way it should look like. All menus and controls feels intuitive, the only thing i have to "complain" about, and it is not an actual complaint, is that i had to read the help file to understand how to add songs to the playlist. My intuitive way of trying to add was to mark and hold the song, but then it obviously starts playing.

Not much more to say actually. Try it yourselves and you wont be disappointed. Great work Pippin, you delivered well beyond my expectations and as I hoped, i can actually make my iphones my first choice remotes! Will buy a ipod touch first thing tomorrow!

Itlan
2008-11-25, 12:02
- Do you use authentication?

Not sure what type of auth your referring to. I do use WPA2 for my home wireless connection.

- I assume you do have a large library?

Yes, 4,656 Albums.

- Also, it helpf if you follow the usual use case of using one Menu

I do 100% do Genre -> Artist -> Album seaches. (I'll stop flipping between Artist and Album casue you are right intesting you start button mashing to see everything!!!)

- iPeng caches the data, however, so you will only see this on the first start or after a rescan.

So once I start it up and let it be for a minute it should be fine every time I open it after that or it caches each time I start it?

-One more thing: Do you have a slow server? Did you have a very long current playlist?

The server is pretty robust (AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ with 2GB of RAM). Home built WHS box that is nowehere near as slow as a ReadyNAS and such. I dont use play lists at all. Exclusively Genre -> Artist -> Album searches which I guess then builds the playlist etc..

Question - Does it, should it, could it matter if the SB is on or off?

pippin
2008-11-25, 12:14
Authentication: I mean username/password for SqueezeCenter.

- I assume you do have a large library?

Yes, 4,656 Albums.

Ok,... That's what I guessed. My server broke down when I tried to blow up my database to that level so I couldn't test it.
Explains well what you are seeing.

Have you done a core dump on emule or how does one get 4656 albums?

So once I start it up and let it be for a minute it should be fine every time I open it after that or it caches each time I start it?

Err... With that size of a database I would give it a few minutes, actually.
After that (you can see it has finished when it starts loading artwork) I would actually restart iPeng to make sure you save the cache.
Don't care for artwork, that will load over time and doesn't cause harm.

I also would be careful with rescanning the database (although I suspect you add a lot of stuff if you have a database of that size) since whenever that changes, iPeng will re-load the cache.
Also: Hands off that big, red "Flush cache" button :-)

Another thing that will annoy you (until the first update, where it will be a one-time issue, too) is clicking "All Albums" on the "Artists" page.
No, iPeng did NOT crash, it's sorting the table....

The server is pretty robust (AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ with 2GB of RAM). Home built WHS box that is nowehere near as slow as a ReadyNAS and such. I dont use play lists at all. Exclusively Genre -> Artist -> Album searches which I guess then builds the playlist etc..

That's a fast server :-)
No, I don't talk about playlists to select from but how many tracks are in the playlist you are currently playing. But judging from your comment that's probably like 1 album worth of, right?

Question - Does it, should it, could it matter if the SB is on or off?
Should make no difference in that setup.

Itlan
2008-11-25, 12:19
Ok I did some testing:

1.) Pandora looks great! Works great. If you want Pics still of it let me know and I'll send you a bunch from it.

2.) It does appear to be a cache issue. It takes about 5-6 minutes when I start where its just dog slow but after that (and Im assuming it cacheing everything down) it's absolute butter!!!

3.) Everytime I start it appears to re-cache...so I have a 5-6 min wait before it becomes normal....pretty brutal wait ;)

I need to go back an re-read...since I think you said it does cache only on first start but mine appears to be doing it every time or.....it takes 5 min of being on before something works itself out and it start operating smooth as silk :)

Answers to the above:

- Authentication: I mean username/password for SqueezeCenter.

Ah, no I dont use one now.

- Have you done a core dump on emule or how does one get 4656 albums?

LOL, no. I used to back in college buy an absolute crap ton of music. It was absurd. Now not so much so I have the 80's catlogued like nobodys business ;)

- Err... With that size of a database I would give it a few minutes, actually.
After that (you can see it has finished when it starts loading artwork) I would actually restart iPeng to make sure you save the cache.

So that appears to be my problem, iPeng I dont "think" is saving it. I just turn the phone off typically when Im done. I'll try and exit back to the homne screen and load back in and see if reloading it that way saves it for me.

- I also would be careful with rescanning the database (although I suspect you add a lot of stuff if you have a database of that size) since whenever that changes, iPeng will re-load the cache. Also: Hands off that big, red "Flush cache" button :-)

LOLOL understood, but I actually only re-scan once a month once I have bought 5 or 6 new albums then I'll index them in all at once. Big red button = hand off :)

- Another thing that will annoy you (until the first update, where it will be a one-time issue, too) is clicking "All Albums" on the "Artists" page. No, iPeng did NOT crash, it's sorting the table....

I never use that view so no worries there :)

- But judging from your comment that's probably like 1 album worth of, right?

Exactly

lanierb
2008-11-25, 12:55
If you could post a screenshot on how Rhapsody (and Pandora) looks on iPeng I would love to add that to my gallery.
I'm such an idiot that I have no idea how to get a screenshot on the iPhone. Edit: I googled it and it's easy, so I will try to do this tonight.

mhuie
2008-11-25, 12:55
Great app, I think I ran into a bug.

I went into Pandora to play some music, put the device to sleep then woke it back up. I was unable to get back to the "main menu" (Icons across the bottom), and was only able to get to search. I tried all available buttons.

I was stumped for a while, then ended up search ing for something, clicked on that search result, and the menu came back.

.:.impossible
2008-11-25, 13:02
it definitely looks nice. i actually wish the home screen was more like the

more > edit > configure screen...

my experience so far has been "unstable". i have a large library. i just assumed everyone with a squeezebox did. thousands of albums is not uncommon if you are as passionate about music as we are.

reading the above posts, i guess i need to give the app some time to load before i can evaluate.

pippin
2008-11-25, 13:08
Great app, I think I ran into a bug.

I went into Pandora to play some music, put the device to sleep then woke it back up. I was unable to get back to the "main menu" (Icons across the bottom), and was only able to get to search. I tried all available buttons.

I was stumped for a while, then ended up search ing for something, clicked on that search result, and the menu came back.

On the search screen, just click on the background and the keyboard goes away.
I really have to finish up that manual

DeVerm
2008-11-25, 13:26
Great app:

browsing collection and selecting what to play better than SBC

big album art, nice transparant playlist, looks cool everywhere

volume control sometimes impossible to grab, switching to finger on other hand seems to help. My protective casing might be in the way. SBC wins hands down here.

SC PlayOtherTracks option defaults to not-follow-SC-setting but use iPod behavior instead. Hmmm.... guess it depends on the person and I found the setting quick enough but first checked SC settings because assumed they would be followed by default.

I'll use it for a while to see if I like it as much as SBC. I'll also try it without the casing.

Comparing to Squidgy: iPeng looks more complete but I see some more bugs I think. Also, Squidgy does all the caching before starting while iPeng does this along the way. Different but both okay for me. Both will need updates for fixing bugs and improving implemented functions before adding new function imo!

iPeng: very neat and tricky browsing in artists. I scrolled the list and selected "Ilse de Lange", wento into the tree and selected a song. The back button showed "Ilse de Lange" but from there, there was no back button to go back to the list.... so I select Artists again and end up where I was before selecting Ilse... though a back button was missing at that point. Scroll firther down to Jean-Michel Jarre and go into the tree... now there is a back button and it lists Ilse de Lange again! That would be very spiff but unfortunately, selecting it just returns me to the list at the "J" so it's a bug.

ciao!
Nick.

andynormancx
2008-11-25, 13:29
I've put together a quick review blog post, mostly aimed at people who know about Squeezebox/iPeng already:

http://blog.norman.cx/2008/11/25/ipeng-native-iphone-touch-squeezebox/

I am very impressed with iPeng native so far.

2008-11-25, 13:36
i keep getting a strange graphics glitch when scrolling albums. similar visual to a CD skipping.

it also seems that not all of my album artwork has loaded... after 45 minutes.

on ipeng skin, i could love tracks from my own collection to last.fm, whereas here, i have to be listening through last.fm to love tracks.

pippin
2008-11-25, 13:48
Nick, Andy, could you send me those bugs you see to coolio (att) penguinlovesmusic.com?
I will open up my bug tracker but currently I have some other priorities.

Nixk, I didn't fully understand, what exactly you did to create that browsing bug, could you explain it again?

I've put together a quick review blog post, mostly aimed at people who know about Squeezebox/iPeng already:

http://blog.norman.cx/2008/11/25/ipeng-native-iphone-touch-squeezebox/

I am very impressed with iPeng native so far.

Thanks!

i keep getting a strange graphics glitch when scrolling albums. similar visual to a CD skipping.

it also seems that not all of my album artwork has loaded... after 45 minutes.

on ipeng skin, i could love tracks from my own collection to last.fm, whereas here, i have to be listening through last.fm to love tracks.

How did you love tracks from the library on the skin? With CustomBrowse? That will come...

What exactly do you mean with "not all artwork loaded"? iPeng does NOT load all artwork but only a certain number plus the artwork that is being displayed. After it loads it once it will be cached on the device (in flash) and load faster next time but it never holds all artwork in memory.

DeVerm
2008-11-25, 13:59
Pippin,

Sorry, feel like posting here instead of emailing. One can find this thread.

I tried to reproduce after a full power down but I have the back-button listing "Artists" now. Will see if it happens again or maybe someone else will read this and had the same.

Thinking about how to get the iPod protective casing off without braking it... putting it on was easy...

cheers,
Nick.

morberg
2008-11-25, 14:01

Does rating work through iTunes Update as well (I use iTunes as my database for ratings since that synchs with my iPods when I'm out and about)? I know it didn't for the iPeng skin which is why I'm asking.

pippin
2008-11-25, 14:05
Does rating work through iTunes Update as well (I use iTunes as my database for ratings since that synchs with my iPods when I'm out and about)? I know it didn't for the iPeng skin which is why I'm asking.

Then it will not for the App. Both use the TrackStat plugin, you may have to ask Erland in his Plugin thread on this:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39026

pippin
2008-11-25, 14:07
Pippin,

Sorry, feel like posting here instead of emailing. One can find this thread.

That's fine. But your post sounded like you had more than that one bug which you didn't post about.

DeVerm
2008-11-25, 14:16
That's fine. But your post sounded like you had more than that one bug which you didn't post about.

I did see more than one. I spent 10 years of my life finding bugs, doing that for a living. I'll gladly leave it to others now as I'm retired ;-)

But I'll mention it here if I find one during regular use that I can reproduce. It seems that the power-down of the iPod cleared them for now.

ciao!
Nick.

david_f1976
2008-11-25, 14:19

I'm getting the can't connect to server message when entering podcasts. Doesn't crash for me though.

Other than that every bit as good as expected.

2008-11-25, 14:21
How did you love tracks from the library on the skin? With CustomBrowse? That will come...

What exactly do you mean with "not all artwork loaded"? iPeng does NOT load all artwork but only a certain number plus the artwork that is being displayed. After it loads it once it will be cached on the device (in flash) and load faster next time but it never holds all artwork in memory.

It was just there at the top of the now playing screen. I could click the heart and that was that. I don't know! :)

With the SB candybar remote, I can press to the right as far as possible to "love this track". One day, I just discovered it while fumbling around.

When I say "not all artwork loaded", I mean certain album covers are not displaying, while the vast majority of the collection is.

Sike
2008-11-25, 14:26
I bought the application just over 2 hours ago. I tried it and it crashed after trying to choose a player (I have 12 players on the Server). I then ate dinner and gate it another couple of trys, with no luck.

I read the first couple of posts at noon and saw that if you want to change players you need to hover over the player selection first, this however did not work.

More than happy to pay 12.- CHF for the application after all iPeng has done for the community (so don't get me wrong), but looking forward to a bug fix. (I am running SC 1.2)

DeVerm
2008-11-25, 14:36
I bought the application just over 2 hours ago. I tried it and it crashed after trying to choose a player (I have 12 players on the Server). I then ate dinner and gate it another couple of trys, with no luck.

12 players?! haha wow, you live in a castle? ;-)

ciao!
Nick.

pippin
2008-11-25, 14:44

I read the first couple of posts at noon and saw that if you want to change players you need to hover over the player selection first, this however did not work.

More than happy to pay 12.- CHF for the application after all iPeng has done for the community (so don't get me wrong), but looking forward to a bug fix. (I am running SC 1.2)

When exactly does it crash? When you click on the player? For any player? Can you browse etc? Do you have more than one server?
I haven't seen that before, the only reproducible crash I know of so far is Help->Now Playing
Please help me to fix this.

The max. # of players I came to test with was 5, I think Michael did 7 with success.

sprutzle
2008-11-25, 14:51
... but i have problems with the artwork. In artist/album view it only displays the big artwork making the screen unreadable (no album art preview). The app sometimes crashes when in album view. I use iPeng with SC7.3 on a thecus5200pro.

best regards
sprutzle

Lesu
2008-11-25, 14:54
First looks, very nice, very fast and worked straight out of the box.
One thing I don't seem to be able to find. Is Random Play included in this release? I don't seem to be able to find it.
I am also having problems with large artwork, some songs have a larger image stored and it overwrites the displayed words.

thrawn
2008-11-25, 14:59
wow it's fast, beats the crap out of controller. Thanks, I love it!

Borgen
2008-11-25, 15:13
I think I have found a problem in the iPeng app.

In my album collection I have among many other albums "Absolute Music 1-46" (46 different albums).

In the native iPeng under "albums" these are sorted in the wrong order, first album 24-46 comes up then there are some other albums listed and then album 1-23 are displayed. See the same sorting problem with alot of other albums with similar names.

I then tried the web version of iPeng and there everything is sorted in the correct way, also in the web interface of SqueezeCenter every thing is sorted in the correct way.

Have previously seen sorting problems in squeezecenter that are running on a Qnap NAS based on a bug in a version of mySQL which have been corrected in a later release of mySQL.

garym
2008-11-25, 15:17
Very nice program. Played with it an hour or so. Works nicely with my 5,000+ albums on SC 7.2.1 on ReadyNas Duo. One question (and I'm sure I'm just missing something), but I can't figure out how to play an entire album in track order. I locate an artist in artist view, click on the album I'm interested in, then I see the album with album song listing (in correct order). If the "play" icon is in the title bar and I click on the first song, the songs get added to playlist but in random order. If "+" is in title bar, I click on first song and all songs get added to playlist in random order. Only if I have ">|" in the title bar and select first song can I get songs added to playlist in track order. Again, I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but this doesn't seem intuitive. Seems like I should be able to find the album, click on the album and have this action clear playlist, add all the album songs (in track order) and begin playing. Help clarify please. thanks. Again, very nice. This app means I'll purchase two more duets now that I can control so easily from one place.....with a controller always in my pocket anyhow....

EDIT: playing around a little more, could this be related to the repeat/random mode you can select while a song is playing (next to progress bar)? Initial test suggests maybe so.

pippin
2008-11-25, 15:19
First looks, very nice, very fast and worked straight out of the box.
One thing I don't seem to be able to find. Is Random Play included in this release? I don't seem to be able to find it.
I am also having problems with large artwork, some songs have a larger image stored and it overwrites the displayed words.

No Random Play.
You mean the artwork is bigger than the 75 pixels the other tracks have?
Which server version is that?

pippin
2008-11-25, 15:21
In the native iPeng under "albums" these are sorted in the wrong order, first album 24-46 comes up then there are some other albums listed and then album 1-23 are displayed. See the same sorting problem with alot of other albums with similar names.
Have previously seen sorting problems in squeezecenter that are running on a Qnap NAS based on a bug in a version of mySQL which have been corrected in a later release of mySQL.

Nothing to do with SqueezeCenter, iPeng does indeed have a sorting issue.
Working on it, seems like it's actually iPhone OS cutting short Quicksort.

pippin
2008-11-25, 15:26
... but i have problems with the artwork. In artist/album view it only displays the big artwork making the screen unreadable (no album art preview). The app sometimes crashes when in album view. I use iPeng with SC7.3 on a thecus5200pro.

How big is the artwork?
Do you know if there's something special about the artwork resizing on the thecus? I currently request 75x75 images from the server and rely on it actually delivering those. I draw unscaled for speed, this has worked in all environments so far...

davidcotton
2008-11-25, 15:35
Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but didn't work as easily for me as for others!

Says I need to add server. Any clues on how I go about doing that? FWIW the web based ipeng runs fine on my mac mini setup.

Already tried a reboot of both touch and mac.

SC 7.0.0 (I hate updating it, if it works leave it alone)!

Cheers

pippin
2008-11-25, 15:40
Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but didn't work as easily for me as for others!

Says I need to add server. Any clues on how I go about doing that? FWIW the web based ipeng runs fine on my mac mini setup.

Already tried a reboot of both touch and mac.

SC 7.0.0 (I hate updating it, if it works leave it alone)!

Cheers

Is iPeng on the same Wi-Fi network as your server?
Does your network setup allow broadcasts?
You can try to go to settings ("<-"->More->Settings), scroll to the bottom, there you can add a server. If your server is reachable from the network your iPhone is on (which it is, when you used it with the skin), that should work.

bodajmac
2008-11-25, 15:41
working well for me after initial hiccups with album art - the app seemed to get as far as halfway through the S section of my library (c. 22000 tracks) then apparently stopped. however, using the flush cache option in settings seems to have solved the problem so now all that time spent retrieving album art seems thoroughly worthwhile. great work pippin, thanks very much!

pippin
2008-11-25, 15:49
working well for me after initial hiccups with album art - the app seemed to get as far as halfway through the S section of my library (c. 22000 tracks) then apparently stopped. however, using the flush cache option in settings seems to have solved the problem so now all that time spent retrieving album art seems thoroughly worthwhile. great work pippin, thanks very much!

If you got all the albums, just the art is missing, you don't need to flush the cache, a restart of iPeng should do the trick, too.

Lesu
2008-11-25, 15:59
No Random Play.
You mean the artwork is bigger than the 75 pixels the other tracks have?
Which server version is that?

Yes the wrongly displayed album art is usually 4 times bigger than the rest of the images. It therefore overwrites the next album picture and half of the words next to it.
I'm running 7.2.1 - 23630 on a Windows Vista machine.
I'm also finding a high sensitivity to connection when selecting say Blues Genre and then pressing All songs. A lot of the time the message comes back as ' Cannot find server enable internet connection etc'. The iPod is right next to the server at the time and is communicating OK to show albums etc.
I must say I'm missing an indication of connection or working. There is nothing to tell me if signal is low or a process is happening.
Just a few minor moans, otherwise I'm very impressed! Shame about Random Play, I'll just have to fall back on iPeng skin to use that feature.

sprutzle
2008-11-25, 16:07
How big is the artwork?
Do you know if there's something special about the artwork resizing on the thecus? I currently request 75x75 images from the server and rely on it actually delivering those. I draw unscaled for speed, this has worked in all environments so far...

Hi Pippin,

thanks for your answer, nice support. I didn't change any setting on SC7.3 regarding the artwork. Since i think you do speak german: "Plattenhüllen neu berechnen" is active. The size of the artwork is, i think, around 300pix. And it is centered, so only near half of the image is displayed (the rest is beyond the left side of the display).

best regards
sprutzle

FSlater
2008-11-25, 16:25
This application was one of the main reasons for me wanting an Iphone. I finally got hold of one a couple of weeks ago for a reasonable price and waited eagerly for the release of the native version of Ipeng, and now it is here! I'm really happy. It works really great. Its so nice to not have to use the normal remote any more and to be able to get a better "overview" of the library.

One question though. I always use "Music Folder" on the Squeezebox when I browse or search for what I want to listen to. I don't like the "Artist" or "Album", because I can never seam to get all the ID3 tagging right. There is always some tags that are out of place and that annoys me really much. Will you implement "Music Folder" browsing soon, or is it already in the app, just me missing it?

Cheers for a great app and it was definitely worth the price.

/Slater

pippin
2008-11-25, 16:26
OK, those artwork issues will be fixed on the first upgrade release.
I don't fully understand what's happening, though. I DO request 75x75 images from the server and, yes, after that I assume I got that format (in album view). I've never seen the server returning something else.
Could you do me the favor and go to "search" view and check if everything is fine there (e.g. by searching for one of the problematic albums). Search scales so it should be fine...

pippin
2008-11-25, 16:27
This application was one of the main reasons for me wanting an Iphone. I finally got hold of one a couple of weeks ago for a reasonable price and waited eagerly for the release of the native version of Ipeng, and now it is here! I'm really happy. It works really great. Its so nice to not have to use the normal remote any more and to be able to get a better "overview" of the library.

One question though. I always use "Music Folder" on the Squeezebox when I browse or search for what I want to listen to. I don't like the "Artist" or "Album", because I can never seam to get all the ID3 tagging right. There is always some tags that are out of place and that annoys me really much. Will you implement "Music Folder" browsing soon, or is it already in the app, just me missing it?

Cheers for a great app and it was definitely worth the price.

/Slater

No, Music Folder is not yet there but will definitely be in one of the next releases.

sprutzle
2008-11-25, 16:34
I don't fully understand what's happening, though. I DO request 75x75 images from the server and, yes, after that I assume I got that format (in album view). I've never seen the server returning something else.
Could you do me the favor and go to "search" view and check if everything is fine there (e.g. by searching for one of the problematic albums). Search scales so it should be fine...

Well, the search view is fine until i select the found artist. Hope it helps. Can i do something on my setup to prevent this behaviour? Maybe its a problem of the beta 7.3 that is used for the thecus. Do you think it will work with the latest nightly? I could try and run this. Again thanks for support!

best regards
sprutzle

davidcotton
2008-11-25, 16:41
Well got it sort of working in that it now connects and sees the library. How long does it take to do a scan of the library? Not had much time to play with it so will do so tomorrow. One thing though, on shoutcast on internet radio there's no search option like there was before !

Cheers

pippin
2008-11-25, 16:47
Well got it sort of working in that it now connects and sees the library. How long does it take to do a scan of the library?

depends on your library. Up to 1.000 albums: probably well below a minute (it happens in background).
Above 2.500 albums the time to scan the library grows progressively so a few 1.000 albums can take a few minutes.
I've heard 5-6 min for 4.600 albums in this thread.
That's albums, not tracks! I tried it myself to 3.000 albums and 26.000 tracks.

Not had much time to play with it so will do so tomorrow. One thing though, on shoutcast on internet radio there's no search option like there was before !

That's because the shoutcast plugin doesn't deliver that one on the CLI. Same on the controller, no idea why that is.

FSlater
2008-11-25, 16:48
Ohh, I really hope that Music Folder browsing will be added soon, its a must for me :)

Another thing I noticed is that under the progress bar, you can see the tracknumber. In mine it says 4 (null) 6. I understand that it means track 4 of 6, but why does it say (null)?

andyg
2008-11-25, 16:53
Shoutcast got a complete rewrite in 7.3 and supports search, give it a try. Works fine with iPeng.

pippin
2008-11-25, 16:57
Ohh, I really hope that Music Folder browsing will be added soon, its a must for me :)

Another thing I noticed is that under the progress bar, you can see the tracknumber. In mine it says 4 (null) 6. I understand that it means track 4 of 6, but why does it say (null)?

Got me.
Because I forgot to fix that.
It will disappear the next time you start iPeng.
iPeng loads localized strings from the server, but since it can take a few seconds until you first connect to the server and load that whole dictionary, and you don't want an iPhone app that you are going to start a lot to wait for everything it starts out with a default string.
Except for this one :-)

m1abrams
2008-11-25, 17:26
So I got to play with iPeng when I got home. Very nice. I actually like using it over a full web browser ;).

I did have one issue and that was it could not find my server. I keyed in the IP and it found it connected fine. I then deleted the server from ipeng and it was then able to find the server. Note I did launch the app from work when I first installed it and of course it would not find any server on that network, maybe it decided not to search again when I got home.

Oh forgot to put my request in for future features. Support for the wonderful, Biography and Album Review plugins.

pippin
2008-11-25, 17:38
So I got to play with iPeng when I got home. Very nice. I actually like using it over a full web browser ;).

I did have one issue and that was it could not find my server. I keyed in the IP and it found it connected fine. I then deleted the server from ipeng and it was then able to find the server. Note I did launch the app from work when I first installed it and of course it would not find any server on that network, maybe it decided not to search again when I got home.

Actually there is one issue for which that "forget server" option in the settings is made.
If you connect iPeng to a server and then move to another environment where the IP address of that server is actually valid, but there is no SqueezeCenter on that address, iPeng will not connect to another server.
The reason for this behavior is, that I found out that talking to the server during the startup sequence causes a delay of up to 5s which is not acceptable for an iPhone app, so I just check whether the IP is valid.

However, your server should still show up under the player and server list on the MultiPlayer control where you can select it.

If you turn that "forget server" option on, iPeng will always look for a server from scratch when starting up, which in a WiFi environment will take below one secons, but can make you connect to the wrong server by default when you have more than one server. That's why it is disabled by default.

Oh forgot to put my request in for future features. Support for the wonderful, Biography and Album Review plugins.

Of course...

panos_k75
2008-11-25, 18:14
my comments:

Very good first attempt. It needs to be polished a little though:

1. Browsing Genres>[genre]>All Albums makes iPeng complain that it can't connect to my server.

2. It would be nice if text was scrolling to display long album names/artists...etc

3. Not sure I like the graphics of the "now playing screen". Would prefer something similar to the Sonos remote.

4. I think the graphics need to be polished a little, especially on the playlist view. Long track names overlap with the vertical line, the delete icon doesnt seem to align with the horizontal lines, etc...just a little polishing

5. Would be nice if the playlist view displayed the cover art as well.

Very good work! I hope this continues to develop and becomes even better. Apart from the functionality that everybody is asking for, a little improvement on the graphics would be a plus for me.

Looking forward to your updates.

P.

GTax
2008-11-25, 18:32
I really liked the Ipeng skin, and love the native app.

A few things I noticed, some already mentioned. The multiplayer screen doesn't scroll sometimes (I have 4 players). I wonder if you could get rid of the standard "function" bar (for lack of a better word), on the multiplayer screen? You already have the power, play/pause, and volume buttons for each player, so it's mainly repetitive (except for previous and next song). I like the improvement with the "flash" when a button is pressed.

Also, a "close" button on the search screen would help for those who just pick up the remote for the first time.

There's a minor bug on the internet radio button. It seems like the first time I press it, only the items that were under the "internet radio" title come up. But, if I exit and then press the button again, I see the same "internet radio" options, and also the "music services" options. Can those two items be separated?

pippin
2008-11-25, 18:40
1. Browsing Genres>[genre]>All Albums makes iPeng complain that it can't connect to my server.
[quote]
Have you tried more than once?
That message comes up whenever iPeng get's a broken result from the server. Timeout are a case of a broken result. I used to ignore a lot of these, but that made me sometimes lose a broken connection completely and I got thrown out of the App Store once because of that (the loading.... spinner kept spinning).
So this is tricky.

2. It would be nice if text was scrolling to display long album names/artists...etc

Don't think I get that past Apple, I'm pretty sure it violates their UI. I could maybe do this when the list is not scrolling, but I'm not completely sure I like it, it looks kind of nervous if you've got 20 scrolling lines on the screen (I know what I'm saying, I tried it once for the skin).
And as opposed to the Controller you have no "selected" row on iPhone

3. Not sure I like the graphics of the "now playing screen". Would prefer something similar to the Sonos remote.

What do you mean? The big artwork?
I think that's arguable, but I'm not going to argue about it. I want cover art as big as possible and I start to get a bit fed up with all these senseless 3d effects iPhone apps have these days...
[quote]
4. I think the graphics need to be polished a little, especially on the playlist view. Long track names overlap with the vertical line, the delete icon doesnt seem to align with the horizontal lines, etc...just a little polishing

The delete and power icons are smaller. They are supposed to sit on the same baseline but that's actually not true for the POWER icon, which I will change on some rainy days.
The overlap... let's see, if I don't want to distort the text I would have to cut it... maybe someday...

5. Would be nice if the playlist view displayed the cover art as well.

No it would not.
a) it becomes really slow, I would have to remove transparency then. Maybe I do that some day...
b) You would have to grow the row height, or it LOOKS ugly with those really small covers (I tried it) while they come at the expense of some characters of text
c) If I grow the row height to something useful with artwork, you will just be able to show 5 or 6 lines per screen which can be quite annoying, especially if you've got a long list and/or you want to do reordering. I feel Squidgy shows too few lines and that even expends the lower controls. Which I will not do because I got too much feedback (and I feel the same), that quick access to the main player controls is essential

In the end, usability comes before style which then comes before pretty much anything else. At least for iPeng.

pippin
2008-11-25, 18:49
I really liked the Ipeng skin, and love the native app.

A few things I noticed, some already mentioned. The multiplayer screen doesn't scroll sometimes (I have 4 players). I wonder if you could get rid of the standard "function" bar (for lack of a better word), on the multiplayer screen? You already have the power, play/pause, and volume buttons for each player, so it's mainly repetitive (except for previous and next song). I like the improvement with the "flash" when a button is pressed.

There are already some ideas on what to do with the standard controls.
I'll fix the scrolling issue, although it will very likely be at the expense of that horizontal paging feature.

Also, a "close" button on the search screen would help for those who just pick up the remote for the first time.

Of course, but where??? You see how much space is left on that screen. I will have to find out if there's any way to have one on the keyboard

There's a minor bug on the internet radio button. It seems like the first time I press it, only the items that were under the "internet radio" title come up. But, if I exit and then press the button again, I see the same "internet radio" options, and also the "music services" options. Can those two items be separated?

No, that's not a bug, that's just a very slow server response for Music Services. I think that'S because the server is querying SqueezeNetwork first.

I see no sense in separating those two, that's why I threw them together. Maybe I'll add a separator like Squidgy does, but what do you want with two half-empty pages, one of them having only two or three items, in some countries even none at all.

Also, believe me, there are exactly zero people out there who are not accustomed to SqueezeCenter and do actually understand the differentiation between "Internet Radio" and "Music Services". I'm 100% convinced that just confuses people.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2008-11-25, 19:01
The native ipeng app is superb.

One thing I would like to see is if I touch the album artwork for that
album to immediately start playing.Maybe there could be a little plus icon
if you just wanted to start adding albums to the playlist.

I haven't used the web ipeng in a while but i thought that was how it functioned;that is when i touched the album icon it would start playing.

pippin
2008-11-25, 19:08
The native ipeng app is superb.

One thing I would like to see is if I touch the album artwork for that
album to immediately start playing.Maybe there could be a little plus icon
if you just wanted to start adding albums to the playlist.

You mean independent on what the Play Mode is (that's the mode in the top bar)?

I haven't used the web ipeng in a while but i thought that was how it functioned;that is when i touched the album icon it would start playing.
Yes, iPeng native is different on these things, mainly because I don't consider it as expensive to go to another page as with the skin (since that's much faster here).
Also, the album art logic is a bit different, in "Search" for example, if you click a cover it will get you to the track list for that album instead of playing it right away.

EnochLight
2008-11-25, 19:49
Greetings Pippin!

I bought iPeng last night for my 1G iPhone. I like it so far, but I seem to be having an issue with the play mode and Rhapsody. I can't seem to play Rhapsody playlists or songs - it just seems to add them onto my existing playlist.

Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem - I tried reading through the 10 pages in this thread so far and might have missed something.

Any idea if it can be fixed on my end?

Cheers!

jhonsberger@msn.com
2008-11-25, 20:25
You mean independent on what the Play Mode is (that's the mode in the top bar)?

Yes, iPeng native is different on these things, mainly because I don't consider it as expensive to go to another page as with the skin (since that's much faster here).
Also, the album art logic is a bit different, in "Search" for example, if you click a cover it will get you to the track list for that album instead of playing it right away.

It does what i want it to .Under the web skin is was a tap.Now it
is more of brief press and it will start playing the album

markstrom
2008-11-25, 22:51
When are we allowed to say something about the icon ?

RaK
2008-11-25, 22:54
When are we allowed to say something about the icon ?

I volontier (is this the right spelling? Seems not ;) i am not nativ) contributing an icon. Any wishes iPeng?

erland
2008-11-25, 23:29

It almost works if you setup a Random Play playlist as a favorite, unfortunately there is a bug in SqueezeCenter that stops the Random Play playlist directly after it has been started. So if you like this to work I would suggest voting on:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10053

erland
2008-11-25, 23:36
You should be able to set ratings in iTunes through iPeng if you install both TrackStat and iTunes Update. iPeng will rate through TrackStat but iTunes Update will pick up an event from TrackStat and forward it to iTunes.

If you like ratings to work in the other direction it gets more complicated, so this is probably a subject of a separate thread in the 3rd party plugins forum if you like to try to set this up.

mherger
2008-11-25, 23:38
> Random Play, I'll just have to fall back on iPeng skin to use that
> feature.

I've set RandomPlay Title & Albums as two of my favorites. This way you
can play them from iPeng.

Michael

erland
2008-11-25, 23:43
> Random Play, I'll just have to fall back on iPeng skin to use that
> feature.

I've set RandomPlay Title & Albums as two of my favorites. This way you
can play them from iPeng.

Do you really get this to work ?
Last time I checked the random playlist didn't continue to play due to:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10053

mherger
2008-11-26, 00:09
> Do you really get this to work ?
> Last time I checked the random playlist didn't continue to play due
> to:
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10053

Hmm... haven't looked into this bug in detail. But it's definitely working
for me. Just started title and album mixes from favorites on Boom,
SqueezePlay and iPeng.

Michael

mherger
2008-11-26, 00:12
> Do you really get this to work ?

I read that bug again. I think we're not talking about the same thing: I'm
not bookmarking the actual mix (the playlist created), but the mix type.
Go to Random Play and click the favorites button next to the mix style you
want.

Michael

pippin
2008-11-26, 01:14
Greetings Pippin!

I bought iPeng last night for my 1G iPhone. I like it so far, but I seem to be having an issue with the play mode and Rhapsody. I can't seem to play Rhapsody playlists or songs - it just seems to add them onto my existing playlist.

Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem - I tried reading through the 10 pages in this thread so far and might have missed something.

Are you sure the Icon in the title bar showed "|>" and not "|>|"?

sotie
2008-11-26, 01:16
Great app! I'm really impressed that you've got it working so perfectly right out of the gate!

Can you add player sleep functionality?

panos_k75
2008-11-26, 02:03
[QUOTE=panos_k75;363717]

Yep it happens all the time. Not sure why is that, as everything else works fine.

Again, looking at the Sonos remote where text is scrolling at the right places looks much nicer to me. You don't have to implement this everywhere.

[quote]
What do you mean? The big artwork?
I think that's arguable, but I'm not going to argue about it. I want cover art as big as possible and I start to get a bit fed up with all these senseless 3d effects iPhone apps have these days...

Hmmm ok...I guess it down to taste...However although my cover art is quite resolution, it gets distorted and it doesn't look great.

The delete and power icons are smaller. They are supposed to sit on the same baseline but that's actually not true for the POWER icon, which I will change on some rainy days.
The overlap... let's see, if I don't want to distort the text I would have to cut it... maybe someday...

No it would not.
a) it becomes really slow, I would have to remove transparency then. Maybe I do that some day...

I don't thing see the point of having a transparency there. Cover art in the playlist is much better in my eyes...just like the Controller.

b) You would have to grow the row height, or it LOOKS ugly with those really small covers (I tried it) while they come at the expense of some characters of text
c) If I grow the row height to something useful with artwork, you will just be able to show 5 or 6 lines per screen which can be quite annoying, especially if you've got a long list and/or you want to do reordering. I feel Squidgy shows too few lines and that even expends the lower controls. Which I will not do because I got too much feedback (and I feel the same), that quick access to the main player controls is essential

In the end, usability comes before style which then comes before pretty much anything else. At least for iPeng.

I disagree...The main thing with iPhone is that its beautiful. I am not saying your app is not...it just needs a little polishing on the graphics to make it look more professional.

Thanks

Nonreality
2008-11-26, 02:22
Don't know if it's been pointed out but there is a spelling error in settings/inhibit pushout. You missed an e in element. Just so you know for next time. I love the app and it's working well with my 1700 albums. Thanks again Pippen.

autopilot
2008-11-26, 02:50
Hopefuly i will have an iPhone or touch in the new year. By then i hope it will do wake on lan, can't use it without WOL.

Well done though mate.

pippin
2008-11-26, 03:00
Hopefuly i will have an iPhone or touch in the new year. By then i hope it will do wake on lan, can't use it without WOL.

Currently testing this.
Will be easier as soon as I can debug on the device again, the $$$ 2.2 SDK update screwed that (I can RUN stuff on the device but I can't debug... debugging on the simulator NEVER worked) Hope Apple's toolchain someday meets the same quality standards they ask from us...

Lesu
2008-11-26, 04:01

I have done some more research into the album art display fault. It narrows down to embedded art which is .bmp.
Squeezecenter also exhibits a problem with this artwork, but slightly differently. When I go into album list for the offending track, I notice that, momentarily, the art of that track shows large, it then shrinks back to the right size. However, if the track is selected and is displayed in the Now playing screen, it is again too big and overlays the track details.
I shall probably work through my collection and weed out .bmp art and replace it with .jpg.

pippin
2008-11-26, 04:14
I have done some more research into the album art display fault. It narrows down to embedded art which is .bmp.
Squeezecenter also exhibits a problem with this artwork, but slightly differently. When I go into album list for the offending track, I notice that, momentarily, the art of that track shows large, it then shrinks back to the right size. However, if the track is selected and is displayed in the Now playing screen, it is again too big and overlays the track details.
I shall probably work through my collection and weed out .bmp art and replace it with .jpg.

That fits very well.
Looks like a SC issue to me, I know SC has always had issues with .bmp, maybe it's not even supported.
Could you do me a favor and report this here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55549

Delennyk
2008-11-26, 04:15
Hi Good job,been using your skin since May last year which i really liked other than the slowness issue but by going native that has certainly fixed it.Good thing I read through the posts last night as I was having the same issue as Itlan(really bad lagging problem)I have a collection of 6700 cds and it took a good 10 mins before they were cached but since then it has been fast and responsive....fantastic.
I know it has been mentioned but I am looking forward to be able to browse my music folder again but as you have said already it will come in a future update.
When I do a search it will take up to 30seconds is that what you would expect with this size collection!!
Will it be possible at some stage to be able to use Michael Herger's plugins-Album Review and Biography again.
Pippin once again cheers,looking forward to see what the future brings and hope you get your just reward after all those nights of codeing......

kantblue
2008-11-26, 04:35
Hi, just a quick note to autopilot and anyone else interested, if you don't want to wait for Wake on Lan to be part of Ipeng (or squidgy for that matter), then there is a wake on lan app in the Itunes store.

Its called IWOL, and in the UK its £1.98. Works well for me, I can turn on the slimserver with a few taps of this application and then switch to Ipeng or Squidgy. All I have to do now is work out which application I prefer!

Kantblue

AndyWright
2008-11-26, 05:27
I think I may have found a small problem - I'm using the Prevent Sleep Mode to keep the display alive all the time, however after a few minutes (maybe 15 or 20), the iPhone or iPod (I've tried both) drop their wireless connection. In the case of the iPhone it reverts to the gprs or Edge symbol, the iPod just removes the wireless icon.

To get the wireless to reconnect I have to press the Home button and wait a few seconds. Strangely this doesn't happen if the iPhone/iPod is docked (ie charging).

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?

pippin
2008-11-26, 05:46
I'll test this.
Maybe iPhone has it's own timer to shut down the connection after a while.
iPeng DOES continuously communicate, though so it SHOULD stay on.
But the fact that it doesn't happen when docked points to it, too, since there are a few power saving features that are disabled when docked.

Lesu
2008-11-26, 05:58
my comments:

Very good first attempt. It needs to be polished a little though:

P.

I have been finding exactly the same thing. I choose a Genre, say Blues, the Blues list is displayed with 'All Albums' at the top of the list. Select 'All Albums' ( > is the symbol displayed at the top right) and it always comes back with the message 'Cannot connect to server....Please enable internet connection'

MillmoorRon
2008-11-26, 06:01
I think I may have found a small problem - I'm using the Prevent Sleep Mode to keep the display alive all the time, however after a few minutes (maybe 15 or 20), the iPhone or iPod (I've tried both) drop their wireless connection. In the case of the iPhone it reverts to the gprs or Edge symbol, the iPod just removes the wireless icon.

To get the wireless to reconnect I have to press the Home button and wait a few seconds. Strangely this doesn't happen if the iPhone/iPod is docked (ie charging).

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?

Yes, I have experienced this too!

Need to restart iPeng to fix it.

When WOL is added, some support for Server Power Control (or similar) would be nice for shutting down again remotely!

Looking forward to Dynamic Playlist support too.

Otherwise excellent - and I like the Now Playing graphics! (I would prefer browsing pages to be in a similar colour scheme but I can cope as it is!)

pippin
2008-11-26, 06:09
I have been finding exactly the same thing. I choose a Genre, say Blues, the Blues list is displayed with 'All Albums' at the top of the list. Select 'All Albums' ( > is the symbol displayed at the top right) and it always comes back with the message 'Cannot connect to server....Please enable internet connection'

OK, confirmed, it's a bug...

AndyWright
2008-11-26, 06:09
Yes, I have experienced this too!

Need to restart iPeng to fix it.

Glad I'm not the only one :)

Pippin - just a thought, would it be possible to have a timer to blank the screen (to save battery) and use the iPhone's motion sensor to wake the screen?

MichAg92
2008-11-26, 06:30
Having used the skin a little in the past, I am very excited about how quick and smooth this app works.

Is it possible to save the current playlist? My memory says that was possible with the skin, but I can't seem to figure out how with the app.

Thanks - Byron

pippin
2008-11-26, 06:38

Actually, to me that looks like a bug in the server....

pippin
2008-11-26, 06:43
Having used the skin a little in the past, I am very excited about how quick and smooth this app works.

Is it possible to save the current playlist? My memory says that was possible with the skin, but I can't seem to figure out how with the app.

Thanks - Byron

Not yet. Will come later.

Husted
2008-11-26, 06:48
Currently I'm not so impressed by iPeng.

1) It didn't find my server automatically as other has reported. Entering the IP address of my server (192.168.1.120:9000) helped.

2) A minute or two after it found my server it crashed and I was returned to springboard.

3) Restarting iPeng and it seemed to work, switching to Album view and the album arts starts to download. But the artwork is in odd sizes and is overlapped each other. iPeng froze and I had to a hard reset.

4) Couldn't restart iPeng again, it would not find my server no matter what I did. Removed and reinstalled iPeng to get it somewhat working again.

5) iPeng just caused my iPhone to restart, it was not just quitting to Springboard but crashed Springboard so I had to enter my passcode again.

I have 1200 album and 15k songs running on a Mac Mini.

Looking forward to version 1.1 :-)

pippin
2008-11-26, 07:06
3) Restarting iPeng and it seemed to work, switching to Album view and the album arts starts to download. But the artwork is in odd sizes and is overlapped each other. iPeng froze and I had to a hard reset.

Are you using .bmp album art? That seems to be not fully supported by SC and probably also not by iPhone.

4) Couldn't restart iPeng again, it would not find my server no matter what I did. Removed and reinstalled iPeng to get it somewhat working again.

How much time did you give it to find your server? Please try at least one minute and seven seconds :-)

5) iPeng just caused my iPhone to restart, it was not just quitting to Springboard but crashed Springboard so I had to enter my passcode again.

Which firmware version do you use? Any jailbreaks?
I have NEVER seen THAT nor had any reports about it. Also it should not be possible with iPhoneOS for an app.

I have 1200 album and 15k songs running on a Mac Mini.

That should be fully OK.

mherger
2008-11-26, 07:07
> 3) Restarting iPeng and it seemed to work, switching to Album view and
> the album arts starts to download. But the artwork is in odd sizes and
> is overlapped each other. iPeng froze and I had to a hard reset.

Please enable debugging for artwork (in SC: Settings/Advanced/Logging) and upload a server.log snippet after you've browsed the artwork display.

--

Michael

Husted
2008-11-26, 07:20
Are you using .bmp album art? That seems to be not fully supported by SC and probably also not by iPhone.

No, a quick grep shows only jpg's.

How much time did you give it to find your server? Please try at least one minute and seven seconds :-)

hmm.. hard to say but my guess would be more than one minute. I'll delete my server and try again.

Which firmware version do you use? Any jailbreaks?
I have NEVER seen THAT nor had any reports about it. Also it should not be possible with iPhoneOS for an app.

Sorry that I forgot to mention that. It's a first gen iPhone running 2.2. It's unlocked and jailbreaked (jailbroke?) but no applications other than Cydia installed.

Husted
2008-11-26, 07:23
> 3) Restarting iPeng and it seemed to work, switching to Album view and
> the album arts starts to download. But the artwork is in odd sizes and
> is overlapped each other. iPeng froze and I had to a hard reset.

Please enable debugging for artwork (in SC: Settings/Advanced/Logging) and upload a server.log snippet after you've browsed the artwork display.

--

Michael

Log attached. iPhone just restarted Springboard again.

garym
2008-11-26, 08:28
In ipeng, when I select an artist and it shows me all the albums, with small artwork, I noticed I also get in this listing an album that does not contain this artist (but the artist IS in the composer field as the "composer" of the song. This seems like an odd result. This is a FLAC file. p.s. In SC, a listing of the albums under artist does NOT pull in the album with the artist noted as a song composer.

panos_k75
2008-11-26, 08:49

How do you mean?

Itlan
2008-11-26, 08:51
Pipping, did some more testing and it appears to be a cache issue. Taking advice I saw earlier in this thread that once artwork is loaded you know the cacheing is done I saw the following:

When I just browse into a genre, say Genre -> reggae ... it joins gets cached and as long as I stay in that path everything works great. But if I surf over to another genre, say genre - Heavy Metal it appears to have to go out and recache that genre. I think on the large Genres it then takes some time, I get uppity and surf to another genre and blam suddenly your cacheing 2 genres!

Now that I have played with surfgin across all the genres and I think everything is cahced it appears to be working great.

Im dreading updating my library!

Is that how it works or am I crazy in interpreting the way it caches?

Is there a way on start up to say scan and cache everything so after the inital scan you dont take hits everytime you open a new genre? (I think thats thats supposed to be the noraml behavior but it sure didnt appear that way in playing with it last night)

Is there/could there be an option to say dont scan/display artwork so it increases the scan time in large collections but still displays the artwork for whats playing? Is that where the major hit comes from? Artwork cacheing?
I dont care so much for seeing a tiny jpg of the album art but do like seeing it while the trck is playing?

Now that it seems to have worked out all the lag issues it appears great. Think I wll hold off any updates to SC for a week and see if this really isd stable and fast and then deal with a rescan. Want to enoy it for a bit ;)

Lesu
2008-11-26, 08:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesu View Post

From Pippin:

Well if it is, iPeng 5.3 seems to get round it. The same operation in iPeng 5.3 works perfectly every time.

pippin
2008-11-26, 09:24
How do you mean?

I mean that I think I use the currect query, as it is in the documentation, but if I DON'T specify an artist, I get an error message from the server.
I belive that's a server bug.

Now that I have played with surfgin across all the genres and I think everything is cahced it appears to be working great.

OOOOK. Here's what happens:
iPeng caches the Genres, albums, artists and playlists master lists only. The detailed queries are NOT pre-cached.
That would take ages and - as you will probably see sooner or later with Squidgy - you cannot just dump the data to the iPhone since SC doesn't return all it's information. For example, you can have more than one artist for an album and typically you only request the one to display. You COULD query all, but that would take time. Lots of it.
HOWEVER. iPhone itself caches it's html requests as well (at least the ones iPeng uses) so after you have done a query once the next time it will be faster.
I don't do a lot of Genre searching but I do understand that it's a problem since the server response is slow (that's what gets reported to me) and hopefully this will be fixed in New Schema.
The Controller will have the same issue, btw, since it doesn't cache anything (but artwork).

Is there/could there be an option to say dont scan/display artwork so it increases the scan time in large collections but still displays the artwork for whats playing? Is that where the major hit comes from? Artwork cacheing?
I dont care so much for seeing a tiny jpg of the album art but do like seeing it while the trck is playing?

Artwork scanning is NOT the reason for any lagging. Artwork scanning really happens in the background and doesn't affect performance. Actually, if you've got a large database, most artwork will only be loaded when you actually use it. It will be cached on the disc (flash) in the iPhone, though.

The lagging is due to SORTING of the database. I'm currently trying to move that to a different thread to improve performance with large libraries.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesu View Post

From Pippin:

Well if it is, iPeng 5.3 seems to get round it. The same operation in iPeng 5.3 works perfectly every time.

Yes. iPeng 0.5.3 does not use the same interface as the iPeng application. the iPeng application uses the same interface as the controller. The iPeng skin gets HTML pages from the server through a server side scripting module.

In ipeng, when I select an artist and it shows me all the albums, with small artwork, I noticed I also get in this listing an album that does not contain this artist (but the artist IS in the composer field as the "composer" of the song. This seems like an odd result. This is a FLAC file. p.s. In SC, a listing of the albums under artist does NOT pull in the album with the artist noted as a song composer.

Puh, I believe there are some server settings to control this, but I have never playes around with these.

garym
2008-11-26, 09:56
Yes, true. There is a setting that would pull in composer, conductor, band/orchestra under all artist's listing. But in SC I've not selected this option (and SC is behaving as expected, i.e., not doing this). It seems that iPeng is NOT following the SC setting. Not a big deal, but thought I'd point it out. Love the iPeng so far!

Originally Posted by garym:

Answer: Puh, I believe there are some server settings to control this, but I have never playes around with these.

pippin
2008-11-26, 10:02
Yes, true. There is a setting that would pull in composer, conductor, band/orchestra under all artist's listing. But in SC I've not selected this option (and SC is behaving as expected, i.e., not doing this).

Hm, but iPeng has no influence on this. It queries the albums for an artist. Maybe the CLI behaves different than the web UI on this.
I will try to compare it with the SBC.

nmacfarl
2008-11-26, 10:34
I've been reading this forum for some years now, but after downloading your ipod app, I had to register just to say thanks. I've encounterd a few snags with the app and will report them when I can reproduce them, but all in all I just wanted to say thanks. This app is what I have been waiting for since I bought my squeezebox 2 years ago.

tjm000
2008-11-26, 11:24
It's the most I've paid for any app from the store, but also the most valuable app (MVA).

Quick comment:

I prefer to use the album view to scan through my music database (which is paltry compared to others) because I like to see the small album graphics. But I don't like the fact that the albums are sorted by their title since that means various albums from an artist are not adjacent in the view. Would it be possible to have an option to sort the album view by artist name?

Thanks again for your great app.

Tim M

plympton
2008-11-26, 11:31
I've been working with iPeng for the last day, and here's a tip for those with Jailbroken iPhones/iPods.

If you get Backgrounder from the Cydia repository, send iPeng into the background, and when you go to it every time, it won't have the "startup" delay that you have when you run iPeng - no re-caching, syncing, etc.

It also won't kill your battery overnight (tested) - Backgrounder doesn't affect sleep/locking, it just runs the application in the background while you are using the iPhone.

It might cause more drain while you use other applications (Wi-Fi), and also might cause problems when you leave the house (haven't tested, lose connection), but it works well for me.

I'm looking for a "double-tap" replacement, so I can call iPeng from the lock/home screen, but haven't found anything. Best I found is a "triple-tap to unlock" hack, but that's not really that great.

-Dan

lanierb
2008-11-26, 12:02
OK, I finally got around to those Rhapsody screen shots. See attached photos.

lanierb
2008-11-26, 12:03
Here's also some from Pandora. (Pandora's album art seems to be slightly lower res.)

pippin
2008-11-26, 12:07
It's the most I've paid for any app from the store, but also the most valuable app (MVA).

Quick comment:

I prefer to use the album view to scan through my music database (which is paltry compared to others) because I like to see the small album graphics. But I don't like the fact that the albums are sorted by their title since that means various albums from an artist are not adjacent in the view. Would it be possible to have an option to sort the album view by artist name?

Thanks again for your great app.

Tim M

Artists->All Albums

vitoruch
2008-11-26, 12:32
If you get Backgrounder from the Cydia repository, send iPeng into the background, and when you go to it every time, it won't have the "startup" delay that you have when you run iPeng - no re-caching, syncing, etc.

I'm looking for a "double-tap" replacement. Best I found is a "triple-tap to unlock" hack, but that's not really that great.

-Dan

Nice workarounds, dude..I will try em.. :)

panos_k75
2008-11-26, 12:48
I always browse my music by Genre and then <all albums> and never had any problems with the SBC.

I also noticed that browsing the playlists looks very nice with artwork, artist and album information...wouldn't it possible to make the player queue look the same? or at least give us the option? I have many compilation albums and so looking at the queue it doesn't make much sense to me with just the artist and track info.

pippin
2008-11-26, 12:50
Here's also some from Pandora. (Pandora's album art seems to be slightly lower res.)

Cool! Thanks!
Could you mail me the full scale shots? Coolio att penguinlovesmusic.com

One more thing: for Pandora, does that "rename station" feature work?

andyg
2008-11-26, 13:18
Re: Pandora album art... most of Pandora's album art is really high res now (they did this for their own iPhone app). You probably just got a bad one. Rhapsody is the lowest-res of all the music services, at 170x170.

atlslim
2008-11-26, 13:23
Artists->All Albums

pippin,

I have artistsort tags in my collection so that 'David Bowie' appears under 'B' not 'D' in my Artists Library. iPeng doesn't seem to pick this up?

The native app is great... Thanks much!!

cakes
2008-11-26, 13:28
Hi Pippin,

Great app! A major step forward compared to the plugin version!

So far there is only issue I found, and it is the same one as the one I reported here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=321691#post321691. When I use my soundbridge tuned to slimserver, the skip function does not work. You don't need a soundbridge to reproduce this, if in you open a slimserver stream in itunes and try to control that player with ipeng, the same problem shows.

cakes

adhir
2008-11-26, 13:39
Agree with current positive reviews - great stuff.

Comments:

1) so far while playing with it I have accidentally nuked a
painstakingly assembled playlist because I forgot to hit the toggle
switch which changes it to 'add to playlist mode'. Can that toggle be
made to "stick" between usage sessions of the app?

2) I'd love to see a press and hold vs quick press to 'play now'/'add
to play list' option instead of the toggle functionality.

3) Pretty lengthy period of sputtering after initial install/start.
No biggie, and it didn't last that long, but it would have been nice
if instead of sputtering, it just tells you to hang tight for a min
while it builds what it needs to and gives you a wait spinner or
something.

Great stuff otherwise. This app makes the squeezebox much more usable.

markbelanger
2008-11-26, 14:03
Agree with Adhir's experiences almost completely - so very exciting, intricate and feature rich user experience. After twenty or so minutes I felt like I had figured most of the important stuff out That's a tall order for many people, but I think we agree the target isn't /completely/ the mainstream.

The help file discusses "selecting" the current action mode, I've seen others here more helpfully identify it as "toggling" or even "setting" might be more clear.

Also, I was surprised to have different experiences when selecting the album art on the left (--> current action applied) vs. the album name / artist text on the right (--> down the tree.) Not sure how to "learn" that through the UI (without RTFM :-) but, as Adhir pointed out, some enhanced visuals all around would be helpful:
* startup - sluggish experience is normal, but invisible ... anyway to display a status bar? Does the app know the full extent of the "effort" from the getgo?
* action applied - found that helpful in the web skin, and surprised to initally see my album added a handful of times... kind of a "tap it harder, maybe that will do it" kind of experience which a little polish would address easily.

As far as enhancement request - streaming to phone (as player) would be sweet, and the little UI visuals should go a long way to leading the user to learn the features and understand the current behavior.

One question - we have a small library server at work - any cautions about connecting to that, then going home and connecting to (my real...) home server (which is a much bigger library...)?

Direct note to Pippen - it's an excellent effort and your participation has been amazing. Glad to be able to support you, and know that the tool is a really fun way to interact with the music again.

ch1525
2008-11-26, 14:06
This app is fantastic so far, although there are plenty of things I'm hoping for in future versions. I have installed in on my iPhone and iPod Touch.

Pippin, I don't know if this is possible, but let's say I am using iPeng on my iPhone. Could there possibly be a setting to have the current track that is playing pause when you receive a phone call? This would be very useful to me as I wouldn't want to have music playing when I answer the call. Of course, some people might not like this behavior so a On or Off setting would be nice. Is this even possible for an app to do?

The only thing I liked better about the SBC is that I could view more info on the track such as what file type it was and the comments stored in the tag, etc. Will this functionality be implemented? I know you could do it with the Web Plugin.

The bulk of my collection is Classical music in FLAC format and as you can guess I've run into some problems browsing. I NEED to be able browse by composer (within the Classical genre would be nice, too). Also, let's say I have a piano concerto by Mozart and under the Artist tag I have "Alfred Brendel; Sir Neville Marriner; Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields". Under the Now Playing, only one of those artists will be displayed in the now playing listing. Anyway to rotate the three in the display? Because like I said, without being able to view more info, it gets confusing.

Another problem I've run into is with the display of long tracknames. This is fine for a rock album or something, but for Classical, this is a bit of a headache. Back to the Piano Concerto example, if I have an album with the complete piano concertos of Mozart, I will end up with something like:

"Piano Concerto No... 1. Allegro moderato
Piano Concerto No... 2. Adagio sostenuto
Piano Concerto No... 3. Allegro"

and so on...

Thus, it makes it impossible for me to figure out what number Piano Concerto I am choosing!!! What do you think can be done about this Pippin?

Anyway, great job for version 1.0!!! I've already put my SBC up for sale!

pippin
2008-11-26, 15:03
pippin,

I have artistsort tags in my collection so that 'David Bowie' appears under 'B' not 'D' in my Artists Library. iPeng doesn't seem to pick this up?

The native app is great... Thanks much!!

No. SqueezeCenter doesn't return it.
This has been a big issue during iPeng development. I need something where I can rely on the sorting of the first character (after skipping and "ignored articles") to build the index. OR I need an information about where to set that index.
I get neither from SqueezeCenter (the index on the Web UI also doesn't really work well) so I have to sort what I've got, what unfortunately destroys your artistsort sorting.
I once filed a bug to get artistsort information but there was some reason why this is not possible.

pippin
2008-11-26, 15:13
Hi Pippin,
So far there is only issue I found, and it is the same one as the one I reported here: [url]http://forums.slimdevices.com

I will have to dig into this. I asked the question on how to handle this on the forum a few times but never really got a good answer.

1) so far while playing with it I have accidentally nuked a
painstakingly assembled playlist because I forgot to hit the toggle
switch which changes it to 'add to playlist mode'. Can that toggle be
made to "stick" between usage sessions of the app?

Err.. it SHOULD.
Did iPeng crash on your first try? It only saves data when exited "normally"

2) I'd love to see a press and hold vs quick press to 'play now'/'add
to play list' option instead of the toggle functionality.

hm... maybe... but then there are THREE options. And there will be a fourth in the future...

3) Pretty lengthy period of sputtering after initial install/start.
No biggie, and it didn't last that long, but it would have been nice
if instead of sputtering, it just tells you to hang tight for a min
while it builds what it needs to and gives you a wait spinner or
something.

Yes, I'm really working on syncing performance for larger libraries.

The help file discusses "selecting" the current action mode, I've seen others here more helpfully identify it as "toggling" or even "setting" might be more clear.

OK. Will change that.

* action applied - found that helpful in the web skin, and surprised to initally see my album added a handful of times... kind of a "tap it harder, maybe that will do it" kind of experience which a little polish would address easily.

Yes, I will add a "show briefly"... So much to do...

One question - we have a small library server at work - any cautions about connecting to that, then going home and connecting to (my real...) home server (which is a much bigger library...)?

Depends on your library size. iPeng will always flush the cache when you switch the server. If that's not a problem, it will work fine.

Pippin, I don't know if this is possible, but let's say I am using iPeng on my iPhone. Could there possibly be a setting to have the current track that is playing pause when you receive a phone call? This would be very useful to me as I wouldn't want to have music playing when I answer the call. Of course, some people might not like this behavior so a On or Off setting would be nice. Is this even possible for an app to do?

Good idea. Will not be in the next version, but I'll try to keep track of it. It should be possible.

The only thing I liked better about the SBC is that I could view more info on the track such as what file type it was and the comments stored in the tag, etc. Will this functionality be implemented? I know you could do it with the Web Plugin.

Patience, young Jedi, patience you must have...
Now, where did I say this before? ;-)

One more thing:

Thanks for all the positive feedback I get here. I really appreciate this and it gives one a warm feeling to proceed!

laohu
2008-11-26, 15:54
Great application! Worth every cent IMO.

Question: is it possible to save a playplist or can I only do this in Squeezecenter?

Do you know why I see a full list of all my albums if I click "playlists"?

pippin
2008-11-26, 15:57
Great application! Worth every cent IMO.

Question: is it possible to save a playplist or can I only do this in Squeezecenter?

not yet

Do you know why I see a full list of all my albums if I click "playlists"?
Err... no?
Can you reproduce it?

Caad
2008-11-26, 16:18
hi pippin

I have just downloaded ipeng from app store.
I have formely used the web based ipeng and are impressed by all the functions (but not the speed)
Regaarding the new native version:
Here is my first impression and suggestions for updates.
Connect to server was easy...

First missing point was the "music folder" search..
I have used this option very much for faster seach in my library.
Pleae make this as an option again,,,You could eg. plase it as an option in the "more" buttom

I have also problems with the play function:
Eg.
I browes to an album and select to play it.
nothing happens. I now have to press the ipeng buttom and then the play buttom to start play.
(Now it seams that i have made a playlist?? why is this happens? I only what to hear the picked album.
If i now want to listen to a new album, then i have to "trash can" the play list and pick the clear buttom. then i haave to pick the return buttom for choose the to play the new album...
This way to play an album is not very "GUI friendly" For better "GUI" please make the same "GUI" as the web based IPENG...
Sorry to say Pippin , but the Squidy remote is much easier to navigate compaired with the Native IPENG.
I have only used the IPENG for 1hour and have already had 2 "screen freezes" of IPENG.
Sorry to say , but it seams that this version 1.0 of ipeng needs to be made more stable and easier to use..
Please reply, I could have made something wrong...

Itlan
2008-11-26, 16:29
I mean that I think I use the currect query, as it is You COULD query all, but that would take time. Lots of it.

I honestly don't think thats a bad idea at all. I'd much rather plug the phone in and have it do a 45 minute or 1 hour library scan versus having to intermediately build the DB as I use the system.

Getting everything cached through normal usage for a collection my size was nearly an exhaustive effort waiting for the different caches to update as I used them! And If I updated my library weekly it would mean I would often be faced with some crazy lag times while the re-scan took place. I'll def put off re-scans now for a bit but being able to take my medicine up front and wait while I sleep or eat dinner is much more preferable IMO then updating as I use it. :)

Just my .02 :)

Anyways, like I said before...now that it's all cached it works AMAZING. Super fast, and just great! I'd second the idea of the "Music Folder" vire. I need that every now and then to find soundtracks and such so if possible I;d love to have that as an option on the more screen!

Well done!

pippin
2008-11-26, 16:34
Please reply, I could have made something wrong...

Maybe.
Have you read "help"?
For me this looks like you were either in "ADD" ("+") or "ADD NEXT" mode ("|>|") wheres to do what you want you need to be in "PLAY" mode ("|>")
I think that's the only thing you really have to understand about iPeng, that's why it is in that "help" splash screen.

Screen freezes: Was this permanently?
Or the same database scanning behavior others in this thread experienced with larger libraries.
I'll fix that one, too.

pippin
2008-11-26, 16:41
I honestly don't think thats a bad idea at all. I'd much rather plug the phone in and have it do a 45 minute or 1 hour library scan versus having to intermediately build the DB as I use the system.

No. The freezing is an issue and issues have to be fixed, not fudged. This one will get fixed, I promise! I didn't think it was that much of an issue so I spared myself the multithreading. Will change that and then you will come to love the background scan, too :-)

Music Folder: To all: I read you. This will be the first feature to add, yet bugfixes come first...

lanierb
2008-11-26, 17:21
One more thing: for Pandora, does that "rename station" feature work?

Yes, it works as expected. Type in a new name and next time you load the "Your Stations" page the station will be renamed. The only slightly unexpected thing is that when the keyboard pops up to enter the name the "enter" button is labeled "search" and it's not really a search, but it's pretty obvious what to do.

pippin
2008-11-26, 17:35
Yes, it works as expected. Type in a new name and next time you load the "Your Stations" page the station will be renamed. The only slightly unexpected thing is that when the keyboard pops up to enter the name the "enter" button is labeled "search" and it's not really a search, but it's pretty obvious what to do.

OK, that's why I thought something might be wrong. The xmlbrowser input field for this is called "search" so that's what iPeng displays: a search field.
And the command iPeng will issue then is also called "search:BLABLA" but since it will be the same on the controller the plugin author probably new that...

lanierb
2008-11-26, 17:47
Re: Pandora album art... most of Pandora's album art is really high res now (they did this for their own iPhone app). You probably just got a bad one. Rhapsody is the lowest-res of all the music services, at 170x170.
You're right. I checked some other Pandora albums and they look really good. Here's one as an example

socistep
2008-11-26, 21:58
Bought iPeng last night to go alongside my newly purchased Boom, was very impressed with both.

All the bugs I had noticed have been covered in this thread so nothing to add on those points.

One quick query though, I use a random shuffle on all songs or a the current year a lot through my Duet, is the only current way to access this through adding a favourite ?

EnochLight
2008-11-26, 23:39
Are you sure the Icon in the title bar showed "|>" and not "|>|"?

Yes, I'm sure. In fact, there is no "Play Track" button for Rhapsody artists, songs, or playlists. :-(

EnochLight
2008-11-26, 23:49
OK, I finally got around to those Rhapsody screen shots. See attached photos.

Strange - it looks the same on mine but Rhapsody won't play via iPeng on my iPhone. There's no "play track/artist/playlist" button - it just links to another menu. "Play Playlist" just links to the songs listed, and if you try to select a song it links to the "add album/track to library" link. Similarly if you navigate to an artist in your library, it leads you to each song... but no play button. Each song just links to artist/album info, etc.

I can't be the only Rhapsody user having this problem..?

pippin
2008-11-26, 23:57
Strange - it looks the same on mine but Rhapsody won't play via iPeng on my iPhone. There's no "play track/artist/playlist" button - it just links to another menu. "Play Playlist" just links to the songs listed, and if you try to select a song it links to the "add album/track to library" link. Similarly if you navigate to an artist in your library, it leads you to each song... but no play button. Each song just links to artist/album info, etc.

I can't be the only Rhapsody user having this problem..?

Hmmm... My problem here is I cannot try Rhapsody being in Europe myself.

Have you tried "Touch-And-Holdd"? (touching an item for 1s)
That should play anything playable on any level.

Edit: You are right, judging from the screen shots all the items shown there should actually descend (open a lower level menu), again, please try "Touc-And-Hold".

Edit 2: With "Play" in the above sentence I mean it should do whatever the chosen "Play Mode" is (icon in the Title Bar).

mherger
2008-11-27, 00:44
> This has been a big issue during iPeng development. I need something
> where I can rely on the sorting of the first character (after skipping
> and "ignored articles") to build the index. OR I need an information
> about where to set that index.

Are you sorting locally? You shouldn't ;-)

> I once filed a bug to get artistsort information but there was some
> reason why this is not possible.

Do you remember the bug number?

Michael

pippin
2008-11-27, 01:01
Are you sorting locally? You shouldn't ;-)

Gimme index info and I will happily stop sorting...
Wait a moment... that means I have to read the data twice... hmmm

Do you remember the bug number?

Of course I do:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6609

Yours :-)

there's also this one:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4633

mherger
2008-11-27, 01:10
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6609
>
> Yours :-)
>
> there's also this one:
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4633

Hmmm... these are about the broken page bar. Little related to the CLI
queries you're using?

Michael

pippin
2008-11-27, 01:16
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6609
>
> Yours :-)
>
> there's also this one:
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4633

Hmmm... these are about the broken page bar. Little related to the CLI
queries you're using?

Michael

Read my comments.
It's actually the same issue.

pippin
2008-11-27, 01:19
Queries:

albums sort:<artflow || album>

all others are no problem

DeVerm
2008-11-27, 02:03
So, Pippin, tell us: are you rich yet? ;-)

cheers,
Nick.

pippin
2008-11-27, 02:07
After a day? Are you kidding ;-)

Husted
2008-11-27, 02:35
hmm.. hard to say but my guess would be more than one minute. I'll delete my server and try again.

iPeng does find my server, it's just really slow at times.
But iPeng still crashes Springboard. It seems like iPeng is hanging so hard that a watchdog kicks in a does the Springboard reset.
When iPeng hangs nothing will allow me to regain control over the iPhone. Clicking the Home button has no effect, only a hard reset helps.

iPeng starts okay and shows the artwork that's currently playing. However any interaction will cause it to hang hard; skipping song, changing volume etc.

Any idea how I can debug this?

SJobson
2008-11-27, 03:07
I love it :) I was only using the iPeng web app very occasionally because I found it too slow, but this solves that problem at a stroke. It's also the first app I've ever paid for.

Couple of queries:
1. Could we have the option to browse by year please?
2. Random playlist would be great - however, it would need to respect my Squeezecentre settings which exclude podcasts.
3. How do I get to the track position slider? This is clearly user ignorance because I have trouble getting to it on the iPod app too...

pippin
2008-11-27, 03:08
iPeng does find my server, it's just really slow at times.
But iPeng still crashes Springboard. It seems like iPeng is hanging so hard that a watchdog kicks in a does the Springboard reset.
When iPeng hangs nothing will allow me to regain control over the iPhone. Clicking the Home button has no effect, only a hard reset helps.

iPeng starts okay and shows the artwork that's currently playing. However any interaction will cause it to hang hard; skipping song, changing volume etc.

Any idea how I can debug this?

Sorry, I don't have any jailbroken devices anymore so I cannot reproduce this. I assume the jailbreak may make iPeng run with root privileges or something or it changed prioritizations, I don't know.
I haven't heard of any cases of full hanging with regular devices.
Do you have a large library (>2.000 albums)? Maybe the next update will help you that will put the sorting in the background.
If even skipping causes hangs I suspect something is seriously wrong with your IP stack.

pippin
2008-11-27, 03:10
1. Could we have the option to browse by year please?

Err..well..yes. Will do that some day, nobody asked so far... maybe one of the next releases, it's quite simple

2. Random playlist would be great - however, it would need to respect my Squeezecentre settings which exclude podcasts.

Will come..

3. How do I get to the track position slider? This is clearly user ignorance because I have trouble getting to it on the iPod app too...

Oh, I can help with that: Tap on the big cover art... In both apps.

bodajmac
2008-11-27, 03:49
hi pippin,

another query for you (you must be exhausted fielding all these support questions!) - for albums which span multiple discs and have discnumber tags, would it be possible to enhance the albums screen to insert a divider between different discs eg Disc 1, Disc 2 etc?

really enjoying the app so far and finding more to love each time i use it!

cheers!

Husted
2008-11-27, 06:28
If even skipping causes hangs I suspect something is seriously wrong with your IP stack.

All other program seems to behave correctly, wouldn't it be odd that iPeng would be the only program to trigger an error in the iPhones internals? I cannot be the only one with a jailbreaked device, it must be something specific to my setup.
Anyway, I'll try to update the SqueezeCenter to latest release, open up my firewall etc.
I don't know how iPeng controls the server, via the CLI? Then if I can telnet to my server from my iPhone then the connection should be ok?

Anything else I could test to hunt this bug down?

vrobin
2008-11-27, 06:38
hi pippin,

another query for you (you must be exhausted fielding all these support questions!)

@Pippin:
Maybe it's time for you to enhance pinguinlovesmusic site with a FAQ and a bugtracker with "enhancement/wishlist" category ;) (I vote for random play in the wishlist)

Robin

pippin
2008-11-27, 06:49
@Pippin:
Maybe it's time for you to enhance pinguinlovesmusic site with a FAQ and a bugtracker with "enhancement/wishlist" category ;) (I vote for random play in the wishlist)

Robin
Yes, I'll open up the trac site, which has a bugtracker.
Just need some time for all this...

andyg
2008-11-27, 07:08
So I saw some posts about Rhapsody, the thing with this is that some Rhapsody items (and some on other services) have multiple functions. You can either play an album, or navigate into it for more details such as the track listing, album reviews, etc. Press-and-hold to play works in this case but it's not very obvious.

radish
2008-11-27, 07:12
I read a few comments about sorting in the presence of ALBUMSORT tags. I have a more basic issue - my album names aren't in order. I don't have any ALBUMSORT tags, and although they all seem to be grouped by first character properly (so all the A's are together, etc) - beyond that it's random. This makes it pretty hard to find anything :)

Ideas?

pippin
2008-11-27, 07:25
I read a few comments about sorting in the presence of ALBUMSORT tags. I have a more basic issue - my album names aren't in order. I don't have any ALBUMSORT tags, and although they all seem to be grouped by first character properly (so all the A's are together, etc) - beyond that it's random. This makes it pretty hard to find anything :)

Ideas?

Is it random beyong the first character or beyond the first word?
The latter is a known error, I already fixed that for the next version.

pippin
2008-11-27, 07:33
So I saw some posts about Rhapsody, the thing with this is that some Rhapsody items (and some on other services) have multiple functions. You can either play an album, or navigate into it for more details such as the track listing, album reviews, etc. Press-and-hold to play works in this case but it's not very obvious.

Yes, that's what I suspected, too.
The problem here is, that I can just do a general UI concept because I don't know in advance what plugin developers make out of it (remember: XMLBrowser is not only used for "official" plugins).

So here's what iPeng's UI concept for XMLBrowser is (it's quite simple):

- If an item is playable, Touch-And-Hold will play it.
- If an item is descendable, iPeng will descend into it, if the list is shorter than 100 items, then it will also show an ">" to the right to indicate it will descend.
- If the item is playable but not descendable, iPeng will play it if clicked, if the item does NOT have an image to the left, it will show an "|>" to indicate this.

There's little way around this, because Radios behave differently.
On some, pretty high level menus are already playable (effectivly representing a playlist) so reversing the actions (touch-and-hold to descend) is not a good option - you don't want a menu that plays by default instead of descending.
As far as I can see, at least for Rhapsody the visual indications are there, that's why I obviously guessed right from the images :-)

leehammond
2008-11-27, 08:28
This sounds like the problem I'm having (worked fine on first launch at home; launched again outside my slimserver wifi area and now won't work anymoere) but the forget server option isn't resetting like my first launch.

App displays no player connected and quits automatically. Only if I stop my slimserver from running then iPeng doesn't quit and I can try adjusting the settings. Unfortunately none of the setting changes are (autodetection or adding a server ip manually) are getting it running again.

Any suggestions? It worked so great the first time but I can't get it running again.

Actually there is one issue for which that "forget server" option in the settings is made.
If you connect iPeng to a server and then move to another environment where the IP address of that server is actually valid, but there is no SqueezeCenter on that address, iPeng will not connect to another server.
The reason for this behavior is, that I found out that talking to the server during the startup sequence causes a delay of up to 5s which is not acceptable for an iPhone app, so I just check whether the IP is valid.

However, your server should still show up under the player and server list on the MultiPlayer control where you can select it.

If you turn that "forget server" option on, iPeng will always look for a server from scratch when starting up, which in a WiFi environment will take below one secons, but can make you connect to the wrong server by default when you have more than one server. That's why it is disabled by default.

Of course...

radish
2008-11-27, 08:28
Is it random beyong the first character or beyond the first word?
The latter is a known error, I already fixed that for the next version.

Looks like just after the first word, thanks!

lanierb
2008-11-27, 08:58
This is how mine works too. The thing I don't understand about these comments is how it's any different from the way the local library works. For the local library it's the same isn't it? Clicking an album descends and touch and hold plays. What am I missing?

Enoch Soames
2008-11-27, 09:07
Hey, Pippin -

I have to join the general chorus of praise for iPeng. I've noticed a weird album sorting issue - for instance, the 'Have A Nice Day' series gets broken up in the album view instead of appearing together as a bloc, but I assume that will get sorted out. The method of selecting a single track vs. playing all threw me for a day or two, but now that I've gotten the hang of it I like it a lot. It may be that I'm less of a power user than some other folks, but iPeng just works really well for me (particularly nice is the fact that the database updates automatically) so I can't think of too much to complain about, but I'll throw out two suggestions, one serious, one not so. The serious one: It would be nice to be able to save a new playlist. The less serious request: I realize that this is a subjective thing, but I kinda hate the app icon, which looks complicated and cluttered. Your single-penguin avatar would be a much nicer choice.

pippin
2008-11-27, 09:09
This sounds like the problem I'm having (worked fine on first launch at home; launched again outside my slimserver wifi area and now won't work anymoere) but the forget server option isn't resetting like my first launch.

App displays no player connected and quits automatically. Only if I stop my slimserver from running then iPeng doesn't quit and I can try adjusting the settings. Unfortunately none of the setting changes are (autodetection or adding a server ip manually) are getting it running again.

Any suggestions? It worked so great the first time but I can't get it running again.

What happens when you turn off wifi on your iPod or put your iPhone into Airline mode?
Is your iPhone jailbroken?
Do you have any players connected to your server?
Is your server fully initialized (not a new installation)?

pippin
2008-11-27, 09:15
This is how mine works too. The thing I don't understand about these comments is how it's any different from the way the local library works. For the local library it's the same isn't it? Clicking an album descends and touch and hold plays. What am I missing?

The difference is, that on the local library the lowest level is "tracks" and has some logic on how to play those. Since iPeng cannot make much of an assumption on what actually is contained in a lowest level for a remote service, it just follows the logic described above.

Hey, Pippin -
The serious one: It would be nice to be able to save a new playlist.

Will come.

The less serious request: I realize that this is a subjective thing, but I kinda hate the app icon, which looks complicated and cluttered. Your single-penguin avatar would be a much nicer choice.

Yes. I hate it, too. Looks like I'm pretty uncapable as a designer.
I found the single penguin avatar as too removed from the subject thus the change.
I will start an icon design contest on penguinlovesmusic.com in a few days.

lanierb
2008-11-27, 09:34
The difference is, that on the local library the lowest level is "tracks" and has some logic on how to play those.
Ah, I see. So if you're used to going down to tracks and then clicking (instead of press and hold), it won't work while in Rhapsody because that just calls up track information. It seemed so obvious to me that press and hold would play the track that I never noticed the difference.

Husted
2008-11-27, 09:37
Anyway, I'll try to update the SqueezeCenter to latest release, open up my firewall etc.

Answering my own question. Clearing the database and doing a complete scan removed all my problems. iPeng is now working as expected.

Enoch Soames
2008-11-27, 09:57
The app itself is beautifully designed, so clearly that isn't true. I still dig the single penguin, but the contest sounds like fun.

I found the single penguin avatar as too removed from the subject thus the change.

markstrom
2008-11-27, 11:53
Played with the app för a few hours and everything worked just fine.
Then I added missing cover art to a few albums and rebuilt SC library.
The new covers were still missing in album view bit showed up on the now playing screen
Flushed the iPeng cache and now all artwork is missing from album view.
The iPeng skin works just fine.

laohu
2008-11-27, 14:03
not yet

Err... no?
Can you reproduce it?

Nevermind. For some strange reason my squeezecenter playlist contained a playlist of all my albums. I have deleted the playlist and flushed iPeng's cache.

I do have another question. If I browse by artist > album and I press on the album icon it does not play the first song. Is there a shuffle feature which I've accidentally turned on?

laohu
2008-11-27, 14:05
Err..well..yes. Will do that some day, nobody asked so far... maybe one of the next releases, it's quite simple

Will come..

I second that!

pippin
2008-11-27, 14:17
Nevermind. For some strange reason my squeezecenter playlist contained a playlist of all my albums. I have deleted the playlist and flushed iPeng's cache.

I do have another question. If I browse by artist > album and I press on the album icon it does not play the first song. Is there a shuffle feature which I've accidentally turned on?

- could be that the shuffle on NowPlaying is turned on. You can check that by clicking onto the big cover on NowPlaying. If the shuffle icon is blue, it's on. You can toggle that icon (has 3 states)
- have you gone down to the track view, where "Shuffle" shows up next to the cover? Here the cover belongs to the shuffle function, click the first track instread to play the whole Album from there.

Lesu
2008-11-27, 14:24

Surely a penguin looking into the horn of a phonograph is the only solution!

laohu
2008-11-27, 14:24
- could be that the shuffle on NowPlaying is turned on. You can check that by clicking onto the big cover on NowPlaying. If the shuffle icon is blue, it's on. You can toggle that icon (has 3 states)
- have you gone down to the track view, where "Shuffle" shows up next to the cover? Here the cover belongs to the shuffle function, click the first track instread to play the whole Album from there.

That did the trick. Thanks!

BTW: I personally like a white background better than the light blue. Not a big thing, buy you may consider changing this when you polis the interface a bit ;)

pippin
2008-11-27, 14:50
Surely a penguin looking into the horn of a phonograph is the only solution!

Definitely!
But can you DRAW that? I obviously can not...

That did the trick. Thanks!

BTW: I personally like a white background better than the light blue. Not a big thing, buy you may consider changing this when you polis the interface a bit ;)

Really? I feel like there's too much white on the iPhone..
Anyway: one of the main reasons for the color change is that I wanted to be able to see at the first glance whether I'm in iPeng or iPod, which CAN be a bit un-obvious, at least for text tables.

leehammond
2008-11-27, 18:40
Update: I got iPeng running again by playing music with regular remotes and then turned on iPeng again -- It discovered my players and worked normally. Also after I turned everything off again and powered up with iPeng it found the players and works great.

As far as the other questions:
1)Wifi off stops iPeng from quitting automatically, just like turning off my squeezecenter server.
2) Not Jailbroken, iphone Edge with 2.1 software
3) Server was and is fully initialized -- was running it before iPeng.

What happens when you turn off wifi on your iPod or put your iPhone into Airline mode?
Is your iPhone jailbroken?
Do you have any players connected to your server?
Is your server fully initialized (not a new installation)?

ccp_merc
2008-11-27, 21:10
I just downloaded it today and am having lots of problems.

If I stay on the Now Playing screen it lasts about 20 seconds before it crashes, and if I go back to look at albums it lasts about 2 seconds.

I am guessing there is something in my list of songs/albums etc which is causing problems, but I am not sure what it is. I have got SC to do a complete rescan, and I have disconnected from my network and flushed the cache, but the problem still exists.

Here is some data from the Iphone crash log.

Any ideas?

Fri Nov 28 14:54:51 unknown iPeng[131] <Warning>: Data file not returned.
Fri Nov 28 14:54:52 unknown iPeng[131] <Error>: *** -[NSNull componentsSeparatedByString:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x3823718c
Fri Nov 28 14:54:52 unknown iPeng[131] <Error>: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSNull componentsSeparatedByString:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x3823718c'
Fri Nov 28 14:54:52 unknown iPeng[131] <Error>: Stack: (
)
Fri Nov 28 14:54:52 unknown UIKitApplication:com.penguinlovesmusic.iPeng[0xf388][131] <Notice>: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'NSException'
Fri Nov 28 14:54:55 unknown ReportCrash[132] <Notice>: Formulating crash report for process iPeng[131]
Fri Nov 28 14:54:56 unknown com.apple.launchd[1] <Warning>: Exited abnormally: Abort trap
Fri Nov 28 14:54:56 unknown SpringBoard[23] <Warning>: Application <SBApplication: 0x2b3e20> com.penguinlovesmusic.iPeng activate: deactivate: exited abnormally with signal 6: Abort trap
Fri Nov 28 14:54:56 unknown configd[22] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to xxxx.
Fri Nov 28 14:54:57 unknown com.apple.SpringBoard[23] <Notice>: CoreAnimation: timed out fence 2
Fri Nov 28 14:54:58 unknown ReportCrash[132] <Error>: Saved crashreport to /var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/iPeng_2008-11-28-145452_localhost.plist using uid: 0 gid: 0, synthetic_euid: 501 egid: 0

pippin
2008-11-28, 01:26
Looks like a bug :-(

I first suspected an empty "ignoredarticels" string (in SqueezeCenter: Settings->Music Library->Ignored Articles) but here it looks robust against that.

So it's probably like you suspect, one of your albums containing an empty title or artist string

Which is a BIT strange since typically SC creates something if it can't find anything.

I'll fix it, but as long as you don't find that album (or the ignoredarticels thing miraculously helps) I'm afraid you will have to wait for that update :-(

Oh, one more thing you COULD try:
You say, you can run iPeng for 20s, could you try to exit it regularly after 15 of those and restart?

Sune
2008-11-28, 03:08
Dear Pippin,

Just wanted to say that I more or less gave up on the web app, as it was too slow for the way I used it. Thus, I have been looking much forward to the actual app (I bought my iPod Touch in spring 2008, specifically because of iPeng).

I bought it, installed it and I am so far happy. There was a bit of weird stuff going on initially, but after having updated by SqueezeCenter to 7.2.1 and then flushed the cache on my 'Pod, everything seems to work.

As for the user interface, there are a few non-intuitive things that you could perhaps elaborate on, on your help section. These includes:

- The "play / + / play-next" marker in the top line on pages where you select songs.
- The fact that playlists are not instantly updated (I understand it needs to come from the server...but normally you would see them instantly)
- The shuffle-vs-normal-play thing discussed earlier in this thread
- How to reorganise your playlist (I haven't figured this one out yet...)

But in general - happy happy happy. My iPod is now a beautiful and very capable remote for my pretty SqueezeBox. Instead of the ugly thing from Slim/Logitech.

Overall - definately worth the price so far :-)

Sune

P.S. I cannot make my MusicIP Mix work from the App...is it supported? If so, there's probably just a pref somewhere in my SqueezeCenter I need to fix).
P.P.S. Happy to see that the white dots made it to the App :-) Works really nice now!

pippin
2008-11-28, 03:25
I bought it, installed it and I am so far happy. There was a bit of weird stuff going on initially, but after having updated by SqueezeCenter to 7.2.1 and then flushed the cache on my 'Pod, everything seems to work.

Do you use authentication? I've seen some trouble when starting iPeng teh first time against a server with authentication. The workaround for that would be to simply exit iPeng AFTER you have entered the username/password and restart. No more issue after that.

- The "play / + / play-next" marker in the top line on pages where you select songs.

?? That's the ONLY thing I elaborate about so far?
Have you followed the blue link on the help screen? Will get you to a more detailed manual (although that's not finished yet and just contains... well.. this).

- The fact that playlists are not instantly updated (I understand it needs to come from the server...but normally you would see them instantly)

Yes, I have to improve that code...

- The shuffle-vs-normal-play thing discussed earlier in this thread
- How to reorganise your playlist (I haven't figured this one out yet...)

You don't use your iPod that often, right?
It's the "normal" Apple way. In the Playlist, click the button in the title bar (it doesn't say "edit" for lack of space, on a German iPod that translates into "Bearbeiten"...). Then you get into edit mode and you can move around the tracks with the handles that show up on the right.

BUG ALERT: Don't move the first track! It will crash iPeng. You can move another one up before the first one but hands off #1!

P.S. I cannot make my MusicIP Mix work from the App...is it supported? If so, there's probably just a pref somewhere in my SqueezeCenter I need to fix).

not yet.

P.P.S. Happy to see that the white dots made it to the App :-) Works really nice now!

No, unfortunately not. No kidding, I'm very unhappy with the scrolling behavior on the Player screen (although you will only notice with many players or several servers) and for this reason the left/right scrolling as it is now will very likely go away in one of the next versions and be replaced by buttons + "real" swipe or something...

andynormancx
2008-11-28, 03:45
I understand that when iPhone apps start they get to display a static splash screen, so that the user gets to see something before the app proper is running. iPeng's splash screen shows a volume bar and the transport buttons.

I really think you should remove the controls from the splash screen. They aren't functional and all they do is annoy me as I try to change the volume before there is a real control there.

At the very least I think you should change the image so the controls as shown as disabled.

ccp_merc
2008-11-28, 06:06
Looks like a bug :-(

I first suspected an empty "ignoredarticels" string (in SqueezeCenter: Settings->Music Library->Ignored Articles) but here it looks robust against that.

So it's probably like you suspect, one of your albums containing an empty title or artist string

Which is a BIT strange since typically SC creates something if it can't find anything.

I'll fix it, but as long as you don't find that album (or the ignoredarticels thing miraculously helps) I'm afraid you will have to wait for that update :-(

Oh, one more thing you COULD try:
You say, you can run iPeng for 20s, could you try to exit it regularly after 15 of those and restart?

Tried exiting before it crashed, and restarting. Still no good I am afraid. I will look for empty strings in the artist and titles, otherwise I will have to wait :(

Morbius
2008-11-28, 08:38
I just downloaded it today and am having lots of problems.

If I stay on the Now Playing screen it lasts about 20 seconds before it crashes, and if I go back to look at albums it lasts about 2 seconds.

I am guessing there is something in my list of songs/albums etc which is causing problems, but I am not sure what it is. I have got SC to do a complete rescan, and I have disconnected from my network and flushed the cache, but the problem still exists.

I have EXACTLY the same problem, cannot keep the app running for more than a few seconds before it crashes back to the main iPhone screen....hope the fix comes soon as most people seem to be having a very positive experience with it.

Mark

pippin
2008-11-28, 08:51
I have EXACTLY the same problem, cannot keep the app running for more than a few seconds before it crashes back to the main iPhone screen....hope the fix comes soon as most people seem to be having a very positive experience with it.

Mark

The fix itself is ready, yet I have to wait until Apple starts to work again to approve it, which will be Monday morning California time...

mattybain
2008-11-28, 09:53
Good work Pippin, just splashed the cash and it was worth it.

Very quick, internet radio working as it should and I didn't even have to enter any details.

Brilliant :)

Morbius
2008-11-28, 10:28
The fix itself is ready, yet I have to wait until Apple starts to work again to approve it, which will be Monday morning California time...
That's great news....thanks :-)

michel
2008-11-28, 10:54
Great app, thanks Pippin.

As my server is set to go into standby is there a chance to send a magic packet from iphone for wake on lan?

At the moment I always have to grab the otherwise obsolete IR reomote to perform that simple task.

pippin
2008-11-28, 11:08
The code to send the packet is there now, if somebody tells me how to find the MAC address of the server, I'll immediately add this.
Hint: no if_arp on iPhone and no spawning of processes. It seems to be simple since there are plenty of apps out there doing it yet I have not yet found any useful documentation.

pippin
2008-11-28, 11:11
Good work Pippin, just splashed the cash and it was worth it.

Very quick, internet radio working as it should and I didn't even have to enter any details.

Brilliant :)

Thanks.
Do you know what happened to Luke's app? Is he having trouble with the approval, too or did he run into Thanksgiving weekend?

auronthas
2008-11-28, 13:19
Wow, pippin, this thread is growing fast, so do your great ipeng app.

I just installed and used this app, everything works fine and pretty fast as compared to ipeng plugin. Should there be any bug, i will report here.

As others said, it would be great if the app. provides local streaming.

Waiting for new features in next ipeng upgrade and wish they are free.

Sune
2008-11-28, 13:55
Great app, thanks Pippin.

As my server is set to go into standby is there a chance to send a magic packet from iphone for wake on lan?

At the moment I always have to grab the otherwise obsolete IR reomote to perform that simple task.

Aaah...this is one of my old ones as well - there is the power buttom. Any chance to make it send a magic packet to last known server? That would indeed be great :-)

/Sune

sprutzle
2008-11-28, 14:07

Ah, very good! Will this update address the coverart problem as well? At the moment iPeng is pretty much unusable for me because i cannot read the album name (coverart is too big in album and artist/album view and it covers the text).

regards
sprutzle

Sune
2008-11-28, 14:16
Do you use authentication? I've seen some trouble when starting iPeng teh first time against a server with authentication. The workaround for that would be to simply exit iPeng AFTER you have entered the username/password and restart. No more issue after that.

Nope - and nevermind so far. I cannot reproduce it anyway

?? That's the ONLY thing I elaborate about so far?
Have you followed the blue link on the help screen? Will get you to a more detailed manual (although that's not finished yet and just contains... well.. this).

Hmm....I actually did look as some help files, but I may have done it from my Mac and thus not have found the app-specific help pages. Now I tried from within the app and got a very nice iPod Touch-friendly help user interface. Please accept my apologies!

As for the dots / swipe. Oh well - I like it as it is :-)

As always, keep up the good job! And thank you!

Sune

polocruz
2008-11-28, 14:23
After purchasing a Nokia 770, Logitech Controller then an iTouch, I'm finally pleased with a remote that's performing as I've always thought a Squeezebox controller should. Nice job and of course much thanks for the efforts!

pippin
2008-11-28, 14:43
Ah, very good! Will this update address the coverart problem as well? At the moment iPeng is pretty much unusable for me because i cannot read the album name (coverart is too big in album and artist/album view and it covers the text).

regards
sprutzle

Oh yes. that's also fixed as are the pauses when loading large libraries and the sorting error and a few reproducible crash scenarios plus some smaller issues.

The only thing I'm still missing is the d... MAC address...

pippin
2008-11-28, 14:45
As for the dots / swipe. Oh well - I like it as it is :-)

Me too, I kept this against pretty strong opposition from some of my beta testers.
But if I cannot fix the issues I'm seeing I don't have much of a chance because then I cannot do the enhancements for which it was originally invented...

FSlater
2008-11-28, 16:41
I have a question. I haven't been able to find it in here or in the help. I just added a few albums to my music folder, but Iphone doesn't pick them up. What do I need to do to get it to "add" them?

pippin
2008-11-28, 16:47
I have a question. I haven't been able to find it in here or in the help. I just added a few albums to my music folder, but Iphone doesn't pick them up. What do I need to do to get it to "add" them?

Did you rescan your library with SqueezeCenter?
When that's done (the rescan) iPeng should notice the difference and automatically refresh its cache. If it doesn't, you can try restarting iPeng or use the "Flush Cache" button under "settings".

But first make sure that the library scan is finised on SQueezeCenter since it will not deliver the new albums before that.

FSlater
2008-11-28, 17:04
Ohh great, now it works. Never have had to rescan in settings on the Squeezecenter before. Always when I have added an album I just jump back with the remote and then into the music folder again and there it is. What makes the difference now from before? Is it that I dont have any option in Ipeng to "get back" out of artist or album?

ccp_merc
2008-11-28, 17:13

Great - is there anything we can do this end to get around it - as I believe Apple can be slow in moving updates to the app store

pippin
2008-11-28, 17:26
Ohh great, now it works. Never have had to rescan in settings on the Squeezecenter before. Always when I have added an album I just jump back with the remote and then into the music folder again and there it is. What makes the difference now from before? Is it that I dont have any option in Ipeng to "get back" out of artist or album?

No, you can't browse the music folder (yet) with iPeng.
When you browse somewhere new in the music folder, SC automatically adds this to the library.

Great - is there anything we can do this end to get around it - as I believe Apple can be slow in moving updates to the app store

No.
My experience so far is, that they are pretty quick IF they accept a build, has been two working days for my last one.

adyc
2008-11-28, 17:35
Sorry if it has been asked before. I have a large collection of classical music. The title of each track is pretty long and cannot be displayed in one line. How can we display the track in 2 or 3 lines rather than 1 line?

pippin
2008-11-28, 17:55
Sorry if it has been asked before. I have a large collection of classical music. The title of each track is pretty long and cannot be displayed in one line. How can we display the track in 2 or 3 lines rather than 1 line?

So far: not.
How many characters would you need?
Is this just tracks or also albums?

bat400
2008-11-28, 18:04
Just brilliant. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

Well done pippin!

The only thing left is playing locally via stream.mp3, so I don't have to switch to a different streaming app, and I know that's on your list.

Al

adyc
2008-11-28, 19:42
So far: not.
How many characters would you need?
Is this just tracks or also albums?

Typical track title is like: Violin Sonata in D Op.12 No.1 I. Allegro con brio. Sometimes it can be even longer. It would be good if it can automatically wrap it 2 or 3 lines if necessary.

ch1525
2008-11-28, 20:54
Typical track title is like: Violin Sonata in D Op.12 No.1 I. Allegro con brio. Sometimes it can be even longer. It would be good if it can automatically wrap it 2 or 3 lines if necessary.

Yes, this is basically what I mentioned was my biggest problem with the app in a previous post. You must have missed it with the flood of posts that have been pouring in!!!

To quote myself again, this is what I said in regards to the Classical Music issue:

"The bulk of my collection is Classical music in FLAC format and as you can guess I've run into some problems browsing. I NEED to be able browse by composer (within the Classical genre would be nice, too). Also, let's say I have a piano concerto by Mozart and under the Artist tag I have "Alfred Brendel; Sir Neville Marriner; Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields". Under the Now Playing, only one of those artists will be displayed in the now playing listing. Anyway to rotate the three in the display? Because like I said, without being able to view more info, it gets confusing.

Another problem I've run into is with the display of long tracknames. This is fine for a rock album or something, but for Classical, this is a bit of a headache. Back to the Piano Concerto example, if I have an album with the complete piano concertos of Mozart, I will end up with something like:

"Piano Concerto No... 1. Allegro moderato
Piano Concerto No... 2. Adagio sostenuto
Piano Concerto No... 3. Allegro"

and so on...

Thus, it makes it impossible for me to figure out what number Piano Concerto I am choosing!!!"

Tkosh
2008-11-28, 22:45
Everything seems to work, only one or two crashes so far.

If your taking any dev requests I would love to be able to chose what icons are on the bottom, I would like to have my favorites only one click away at all times.

michel
2008-11-29, 01:13
if somebody tells me how to find the MAC address of the server, I'll immediately add this.

Couldn't we type in MAC address in settings?

Wirrunna
2008-11-29, 02:34

This >>-> http://www.soft32.com/download_187054.html <<-< will give you the mac address. Then you could cut and paste.

pippin
2008-11-29, 03:24
Yes, this is basically what I mentioned was my biggest problem with the app in a previous post. You must have missed it with the flood of posts that have been pouring in!!!

No, I haven't missed it, it's a bit hard to answer everything right now.
The Problem is, thta both of your requests are no small issues to solve and will definitely take one or two more releases until I address them.

I think I DO have a good idea for the composer thing, but it will be a bit complex, I don't yet have a good idea for the long names, I might add an option which will increase the cell size to accomplish this or something similar.

If your taking any dev requests I would love to be able to chose what icons are on the bottom, I would like to have my favorites only one click away at all times.

No, I don't take that one, that's already in ;-) More->Edit. It's a built-in iPhone feature.

C'mon. There must be better solutions. I've got several devices that get IP addresses of everythign around them. I also think I know what they do (packet inspection) yet I have to figure out how to do this in a planned manner in my case. I have never done this low level network stuff before...

ds2021
2008-11-29, 09:24
Everything seems to work, only one or two crashes so far.

Have you tried the "Edit" button? I have Favorites in my icon bar.

ch1525
2008-11-29, 10:55
No, I haven't missed it, it's a bit hard to answer everything right now.

Oh, I'm sure it is, but you are doing a wonderful job so far. Keep up the good work!

I do realize that the long filename and composer issues will be pretty difficult to tackle and wouldn't expect you to get this out the door immediately. Take your time! The current method of making the font size smaller to fit the longer items works very well up until a point (I mean three points ... :-) ). Have you considered scrolling the titles? I have a feeling you avoided this on purpose for aesthetic reasons, but it might be necessary.

Aesculus
2008-11-29, 21:25
Any thoughts on what you are planning for on local playback? Would this just be streaming MP3's from the SC to the iPod Touch/iPhone? I don't suppose you have any plans for supporting the iPhone/iPod as a SC synched client nor support of FLAC?

amcluesent
2008-11-30, 03:16
Album Art in iPeng 1.0 has packed in :(

Comes back if I re-install the app. on the iPhone. Then goes after I've rescanned with SqueezeCentre. Flushing the Cache on iPeng doesn't fix.

pippin
2008-11-30, 03:22

Comes back if I re-install the app. on the iPhone. Then goes after I've rescanned with SqueezeCentre. Flushing the Cache on iPeng doesn't fix.

can you give me a bit more detail?

markstrom
2008-11-30, 03:54

Described the same problem a few days ago

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=364292

I tried flushing, rebooting for hours and then gave up - the next day the artwork was there.

pippin
2008-11-30, 04:03
Err... One thing. Are you both sure the server had actually FINISHED rescanning the database?
I might have to add a notice on this in iPeng. But if you do a full rescan, the server will only start to deliver artwork when it's fully done and the data itself comes in earlier. On my systems a rescan can easily take half an hour, more if you use iTunes integration or MusicIP.
You can check for that by looking at the web UI, tht will tell you if the re-scan is through, and if it has artwork, it should be fine in iPeng.

markstrom
2008-11-30, 04:43
Err... One thing. Are you both sure the server had actually FINISHED rescanning the database?
I might have to add a notice on this in iPeng. But if you do a full rescan, the server will only start to deliver artwork when it's fully done and the data itself comes in earlier. On my systems a rescan can easily take half an hour, more if you use iTunes integration or MusicIP.
You can check for that by looking at the web UI, tht will tell you if the re-scan is through, and if it has artwork, it should be fine in iPeng.

I'm sure it's finished and the iPeng skin serves the artwork just fine.

--
Anders

amcluesent
2008-11-30, 10:48
>can you give me a bit more detail?<

So, when there's no artwork the UI goes unresponsive. Pauses for 10-15 seconds on pretty much all UI interactions.

It feels like co-operative multi-tasking where one of the threads is blocking for 10-15 seconds on a time-out before releasing. Maybe the background process to populate the artwork cache gets in to funny mode.

Deleting the app and reloading from iTunes Store is the only solution.

pippin
2008-11-30, 13:14
>can you give me a bit more detail?<

So, when there's no artwork the UI goes unresponsive. Pauses for 10-15 seconds on pretty much all UI interactions.

It feels like co-operative multi-tasking where one of the threads is blocking for 10-15 seconds on a time-out before releasing. Maybe the background process to populate the artwork cache gets in to funny mode.

Deleting the app and reloading from iTunes Store is the only solution.

Nonononono!

Again:
1. This has nothing to do with the artwork.
2. Cooperative multitasking hit's it on the head. The issue is that iPeng is sorting the database while it's being imported. I do have a fix for this that is currently in beta and that I will probably submit to Apple tomorrow.
3. That means: the best way to get around this is: just wait. Quitting iPeng once after it's finished is probably a good idea since iPeng saves the database on exit and if it crashes, it will start anew.
4. If the database gets out of sync, "Flush Cache" WILL help, yet on large databases (>2.000 albums) it can take up to a few minutes until everything is loaded. I have sometimes experienced the effect that the database is not fully displayed when reloaded, often it helps to switch to another category (e.g. "Artists") and back. It does help to quite and re-start iPeng (no re-installing).
5. When iPeng does not start to load artwork, this means it's not yet finished loading the database.
6. With the fix we are testig right now, performance with large libraries will significantly improve at the expense of synchronization time with small databases - actually it's not the sync time itself but the fact that some stuff now happens in the background, which in turn means you can always scroll, which in turn takes up like 95% of the CPU on iPhone.... On large libraries it will get much faster since there is less sorting going on and the CPU load got so heavy on 1.0 that iPeng appears to hang.