PDA

View Full Version : Big Problems

Guymac
2008-11-23, 21:22
I've been a happy squeezebox user since 2005, but in recent months it has become unusable. In all that time, I've had the same setup: a 3rd generation squeezebox, slimserver / squeezecenter on a Mac Mini PPC running OS X Tiger with iTunes, and wireless networking (802.11 a/b/g). So the only thing that has changed is that I've kept up with SqueezeCenter updates (now 7.2.1), including firmware updates, iTunes and other Mac OS updates.

But now performance is so bad that listening to music is basically impossible. Songs will either drop out and stop playing, or randomly restart themselves. Just getting a song to start sometimes is difficult. The Web ui is responsive, but often out of sync with what is happening on the box. The remote is not very responsive, though that has always been an issue, now it is much worse. I don't know if it is the server or the box, though it seemed to begin around the 7.1 or 7.2 timeframe (I recall being pretty pleased with 7.0 despite a Mac restart bug).

Please let me know what this might be, if I should drop back a few versions, or try a newer alpha version.

Guymac
2008-11-23, 21:26
I don't know if this is related, but on squeezenetwork, now netradio drops out all the time... it is also unusable. I've tried adjusting the buffer between 0 to 30 seconds, but it doesn't seem to help. I can switch to my laptop and stream the same stations just fine.

radish
2008-11-23, 21:41
Sounds like a network issue to me, maybe new interference? Try the network test from SC and see what that says.

Guymac
2008-11-23, 21:55
I downgraded to 7.1 and things immediately seemed much better. I tried 7.3 but the the web service didn't come up (I probably should have waited longer).

Guymac
2008-11-24, 19:19
I'm still having problems with 7.1. Netradio works but playing ordinary MP3's does not. I get 'rebuffering failed' messages... I've never seen buffering messages before when playing local network files. Also, the web ui and the box are still totally out of sync. The web ui will show the track progressing, but nothing is playing. I am extremely disappointed. Apparently I'll have to go back to the SlimServer 6 series. I just want to play a single goddamn song, but apparently the POS can't handle it.

DeVerm
2008-11-24, 19:31
I'm still having problems with 7.1. Netradio works but playing ordinary MP3's does not. I get 'rebuffering failed' messages... I've never seen buffering messages before when playing local network files. Also, the web ui and the box are still totally out of sync. The web ui will show the track progressing, but nothing is playing. I am extremely disappointed. Apparently I'll have to go back to the SlimServer 6 series. I just want to play a single goddamn song, but apparently the POS can't handle it.

You might want to start considering that the problem lies with your kit and not with SC as you seem to think. It also helps to react to responses in your thread instead of posting more of the same tunnel-visioned messages.

cheer up and try another PC/MAC with freshly installed SC 7.2.1 and just a couple of songs.

Nick.

radish
2008-11-24, 20:04

Like I said, sounds like the network. But feel free to keep trying older versions of the software if it makes you feel better.

maggior
2008-11-24, 20:21
Perhaps one of your neighbors has setup a wireless network or changed an existing one and is now stomping on your signal. Try some different wireless channels on your router.

Guymac
2008-11-24, 20:38
I downgraded to 6.5.4 and everything works beautifully. It plays music! Holy cow! No performance issues at all. Everything is back to normal. The web ui is not as nice, but I can live with that. Looks like there are severe performance issues with the 7.x series on older Macs (G4). If the system requirements have changed, that would be nice to know.

Guymac
2008-11-24, 20:42
Like I said, sounds like the network. But feel free to keep trying older versions of the software if it makes you feel better.

Hey now, I know that they worked, and that the newer versions were trouble. Like I said, the network is unchanged. I was not trying to feel better, I was trying to play music. Thanks for the hint though.

MeSue
2008-11-24, 21:16
I am assuming you had to do a clean install when you went back to 6.5. Most likely it was the clean install that was the fix rather than the differences in version. Upgrade upon upgrade, I've found, just goes wonky every now and then and the best fix is a clean install.

As much of a pain it is to redo all the plugins and settings, it's really nothing compared to the frustration I've endured trying to avoid doing the clean install! And I'm saying this more as a reminder to myself than for anyone else. ;-)

jeffmeh
2008-11-25, 06:41
Hey now, I know that they worked, and that the newer versions were trouble. Like I said, the network is unchanged. I was not trying to feel better, I was trying to play music. Thanks for the hint though.

So you have a Faraday cage around your house then? :)

mooblie
2008-11-25, 06:56
Looks like there are severe performance issues with the 7.x series on older Macs (G4).

Well, I have SC 7.2.1 running on a G4 with OSX 10.5.5 - no issues at all.

I note you've been doing lots of Mac OSX updates - do you Repair Permissions before and after each upgrade?