PDA

View Full Version : Server delay when browsing folders

gonk
2008-11-22, 13:25
I currently have 4 Squeezeboxes since I started with my first SB2 many years ago. However since I updated to version 7 of SS I have noticed a very annoying delay in the responsivness.

I normally use browse folders when searching for my music, now the server takes a break of about 8-10 seconds for some, not all directories. The delay is always there or completely missing. This delay is regardless of the number of tracks or dirctories in this directory. Same delay can happen for only 1 entry as well as 200. Top-level folder with 297 objects always works fast.

Browsing by Genre, Artist,... is fast. I know that SS will scan each directory always when browsing folders, but I dont understand the delay for very small folders. Some very large folders does not have any delay.

I currently use SS 7.2.1 but had the same issues on 7.1. Same delay when using Duet, IR-remote, Softsqueeze and Web-interface.

I checked the Activities on the server and during the 8-10 second pause:

1. The mysqld.exe process has 20% CPU
2. The harddrive makes reading noise, as it is trying to read a lot of info.

XP pro, 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM. 18,000 songs maybe 60% FLACs in total.

Any ideas what and how to make further investigations?

gonk
2008-11-22, 13:29
Just find a clue myself in the server log-file which pops up when the delay occurs:

[08-11-22 21:27:04.7757] Plugins::TrackStat::Storage::refreshTracks (1196) Database error: Illegal mix of collations (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='
[08-11-22 21:27:12.8695] Plugins::TrackStat::Storage::refreshTracks (1334) Database error: Illegal mix of collations (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='

Seems like a collision in the TrackStats module...

erland
2008-11-23, 02:00
Those errors are probably due to:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9423

It's caused by a database that has been upgraded since 6.5 through 7.0.0 to a current release. The easiest way to fix them without upgrading to 7.3 is:

1. Shutdown SqueezeCenter
2. Delete the Cache directory
3. Startup SqueezeCenter and perform a full rescan

NOTE!!!!
The above sequence will result in that all your TrackStat statistics are lost, so make sure you have a working TrackStat backup which you can restore afterwards. I'm not sure you will be able to create a working backup when the installation is in the current state, so make really sure you have a backup file with contents and not just an empty one.

By the way, I don't think those errors have anything to do with the performance issues but I'm not completely sure. However, the errors will result in that most menus in the TrackStat plugin doesn't work correctly.

gonk
2008-11-23, 09:59
Thank you for your response Erland. Todays result in my debugging:

1. I removed the TrackStats plugin in the SS plug-in setup and the problem did disappear after SS restart! So TrackStats definitley involved in my problems.

2. I am about to try your recipe, but can you tell me where I find the SQL Cache directory? I found three directories named "Cache" in the Squeezecenter folder, but they all contains pearl code only. I have not done any ratings, and I can live with a reset in the statistics, but I have TrackStats backup files created once every 24h which are in the 6MB range.

3. I found a small bug when I now tried to install the Trackstat-2.5.zip file. In the HTML/Nokia770 folder there is a file called "plugins" and one folder called "plugins", so the built-in unzipper in Windows Explorer cannot, by obvious reasons not unzip these files... (But I doesnt use the N800 as a controller anymore)