PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze-server does not like symlinks or mounted directories ?

kapiladhanvi
2008-11-21, 16:05
I just moved my home desktop to ubuntu finally and installed the latest squeeze-server on Interpid. The install went on fine and squeeze-server also started up fine.

I have my music collection on an external hard drive and it is mounted in '/media/WD\ Combo' on my desktop. my songs are in - /media/WD\ Combo/SONGS

During setup of squeezeserver music library, it does NOT show the mounted directory in the filesystem tree to select my library location.

I also tried creating a symlink to the library from my home directory. That too fails to be recognized.

How do I fix this ??

thanks
DK

snarlydwarf
2008-11-21, 16:41
Sure the Squeezecenter user has permission to read it?

kapiladhanvi
2008-11-21, 17:01
Which is user that squeezeserver runs as ?

Is this different from the current logged in user? If different then this might explain the behavior since I had the link to my library in my home directory which would not be accessible to another user.

My external hard drive was mounted with 777 permissions. Also the 'SONGS' directory has write permission for others.

Why would squeeze-server FAIL TO SHOW the mounted directory in the file hierarchy while selecting path to music library??

Thanks
DK

snarlydwarf
2008-11-21, 17:31
Which is user that squeezeserver runs as ?

"squeezecenter" if you installed the .deb

Is this different from the current logged in user? If different then this might explain the behavior since I had the link to my library in my home directory which would not be accessible to another user.

Yes, because just because you are logged in, perhaps someone else is listening to music. So SC should always be running so you don't have to log in to play music.

Why would squeeze-server FAIL TO SHOW the mounted directory in the file hierarchy while selecting path to music library??

Permissions most likely.

You need every step of the path to be readable/executable by the SC user.

This includes /, /media, /media/WD\ Combo.

maggior
2008-11-21, 19:04
Regarding the mount, there are 2 things to consider with permissions - the mount point itself has to have read-write permissions as well as the directories on the drive that is mounted to it.

To check this, unmount the external drive and check/set the directory permissions. The, mount the drive and check/set permissions appropriately.

snarlydwarf
2008-11-21, 20:21
Oh, yes, since this is an external... if you are mounting it when you log in, then you will have some issues... it will unmount when you log off.

That is probably not what you want.

I don't know the "Ubuntu Way" but you probably want that drive to mount at boot, not login. I edit /etc/fstab, but, again, Ubuntu may have a different proper way.