PDA

View Full Version : How Many Duet Controllers?

ajmitchell
2008-11-21, 07:03
Would like to get one or more duet controllers for my 5x SB's.

How many controllers can connect at one time? and are they all synched exactly?

What is two people have two controllers....can they control their own player on the same network?

Is there any advantage to having several controllers....other than the obvious....being able to find it?

finally what is the rough range (m) of the controller?

cheers

Dogberry2
2008-11-21, 08:57
Would like to get one or more duet controllers for my 5x SB's.

How many controllers can connect at one time? and are they all synched exactly?I'm not sure there is a limit to number of controllers, per se, other than what the network can handle. I suppose the answer is "more than you're likely to need". I'm not sure what you mean by them being all synchronized. Unless you're talking about using the controllers as receivers, to play through their headphone jacks, "synchronized" doesn't really apply to controllers.

What is two people have two controllers....can they control their own player on the same network?Yes.

Is there any advantage to having several controllers....other than the obvious....being able to find it?Well, having a separate controller in the room or part of the house where each SB lives would be convenient. Such as one upstairs and one downstairs, so you don't have to always remember to carry the controller around. Otherwise, you could find yourself in a part of the house where you don't have a controller handy when you want to change the music.

finally what is the rough range (m) of the controller?Depends on so many factors (see various other threads about this), such as your router and network, construction of the building (wood? concrete & steel? etc.). Mine works throughout my whole house without breaking a sweat, up to about 25m. Never tried taking it further than that because I haven't needed to.

mherger
2008-11-21, 09:01
> How many controllers can connect at one time? and are they all synched
> exactly?

"unlimited" - the network is the limitation. You can easily hook up a couple of Controllers.

> What is two people have two controllers....can they control their own
> player on the same network?

Sure. And they can control the same player if they want to have some fun :-)

> Is there any advantage to having several controllers....other than the
> obvious....being able to find it?

two persons can control different players.

--

Michael

SuperQ
2008-11-21, 09:05
I don't think there are any limits to the number of Controller remotes you can attach. The Controller doesn't do any sync at all. The Squeezeboxes do all the syncing. Yes, each Controller is independent, and each SB is independent. The only real limitation to the number of Controllers is you can only have about 30 devices per access point. Wifi APs tend to get cranky when you get past 25 devices.

My suggestion is to have as many Controllers as you have people in the house who use the system. Personally my girlfriend and I get by with one.

The range of the controller is about the same as the SB, maybe a little less.
Is there any advantage to having several controllers....other than the obvious....being able to find it?

ajmitchell
2008-11-21, 13:29
by synching controllers I am assuming if you have two, they both should be displaying "now playing" song and artwork exactly at the same time if attached to the same SB or network of synched SBs.

andynormancx
2008-11-21, 14:03
by synching controllers I am assuming if you have two, they both should be displaying "now playing" song and artwork exactly at the same time if attached to the same SB or network of synched SBs.

I that case, yes they sync, when connected to the same SB they will have the same now playing screen and running playlist.