PDA

View Full Version : DIR-655 or Airport Extreme for Duet Controller?

coma
2008-11-20, 20:20
I'm running SqueezeCenter on a Mac Mini (as well as on a new MacBook Pro) and I've noticed that my Duet Controller seems to lose connection to my network. My current router is a tiny Linksys Compact WRT54GC and although this isn't the case, I feel that if I opened it up I'd find a bent paperclip inside for the antenna.

My question for the users out there is this:

Do those of you using either the D-Link DIR-655 or the Airport Extreme have problems with your connection to the Duet Controller? And for those of you that have a Duet and one of those two routers and no problems please chime in as well.

JadeMonkee
2008-11-20, 22:05
I don't have a duet, but the DIR655 has performed flawlessly for me.

amcluesent
2008-11-21, 00:59
+1 DIR-655 has worked 100% with Boom, Duet, Controller, SB3 and Transporter

peter
2008-11-21, 01:24
coma wrote:
> Do those of you using either the D-Link DIR-655 or the Airport Extreme
> have problems with your connection to the Duet Controller? And for
> those of you that have a Duet and one of those two routers and no
> problems please chime in as well.
>

DIR-655 has worked flawlessly here. Previous Airport Express needed to
be rebooted every couple of weeks and died after some years. No
experience with the Extreme.

Regards,
Peter

petemac
2008-11-21, 03:35
+1 DIR-655 has worked 100% with Duet, Controller and SB3 for me as well

mikel51
2008-11-21, 05:37
I'm also a happy DIR655 user....sigh, now if only our squeezeboxes could be upgraded to wireless-N.

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-21, 08:44
now if only our squeezeboxes could be upgraded to wireless-N.

Why?

(extra text to avoid overly short post)

DeVerm
2008-11-21, 20:10
Why?

The only reason I can think of would be so that the SB uses less time on the air, leaving more bandwidth for other users of the router. When one disables support for 11 Mbps "b" devices on the router it shouldn't be an issue until you get a lot of SB's playing at the same time.

One can always install a seperate (older?) router for SB on a different channel or, even better, go to the 5GHz band for the other users, using a dual-band/dual-radio router.

cheers,
Nick.

ncarver
2008-11-22, 15:06
DIR-655 has also worked great for me, though I did replace one of the 3 antennas with a directional unit due to long distance and many walls. That actually is one of the nice things about the DLink units, that it is easy to replace their low gain omnidirectional antennas. Our access point sits at one corner of the house (downstairs), so it is extremely suboptimal to use omnidirectional antennas (we have a number of directional antennas now, which have led to much better performance).

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-24, 07:20
The only reason I can think of would be so that the SB uses less time on the air, leaving more bandwidth for other users of the router.

OK, that's a good one, but a lot of people want 'n' just because it's the latest and greatest.

n's increased bandwidth isn't useful on the player side because the maximum a player will need is 4608 kbps (24/96 WAV) - almost do-able with 802.11b and easy with most 802.11g networks.

There's increased range and bandwidth at longer distances, but it's my understanding that this is mostly due to MIMO on the router/AP.

Also, can't anyone wait until 802.11n is officially released? This is still really all draft-n.

aweitzner
2008-11-29, 15:58
OK, that's a good one, but a lot of people want 'n' just because it's the latest and greatest.

n's increased bandwidth isn't useful on the player side because the maximum a player will need is 4608 kbps (24/96 WAV) - almost do-able with 802.11b and easy with most 802.11g networks.

The efficiency of 802.11b & 802.11g are at best 50%. That means that if one 802.11b station tries to pass a continuous 5500 kbps is will use 100% of the air time. Likewise the best 802.11g can pass is around 54000 x 50% = 26000 kbps. It should not be a problem if all the stations are close to the Access Point. Bandwidth issues can occur if a far away station is connecting at lower speed (like 1000 kbps) and hogging all the air time.

Mike D1
2008-12-07, 07:01
I bought and installed a DIR 655 two weeks ago, install and setup was a piece of cake. Replaced an older Dlink B router. The next day I installed a Duet, another piece of cake and it all works! I'm amazed. Been working flawlessly for almost two weeks now. (crossing fingers)

I would be interested in possibly changing the antennas to directional as the router is in one corner of the house "firing" basically in one direction. Anyone know where to get directional antennas? Thanks!

morsejeff
2008-12-07, 23:05
I bought and installed a DIR 655 two weeks ago, install and setup was a piece of cake. Replaced an older Dlink B router. The next day I installed a Duet, another piece of cake and it all works! I'm amazed. Been working flawlessly for almost two weeks now. (crossing fingers)

Can you tell me what you did to get Internet Radio working? I'm assuming that you need to configure the firewall to allow inbound traffic on ports 3483 & 9000, but so far I haven't gotten it to work.

Also, I just noticed that the SuperDate plugin isn't working properly. Perhaps it's using the same ports to connect to the internet.

morsejeff
2008-12-08, 07:24
Well this morning when I got up I noticed that the SuperDate plugin is working again. Maybe because I rebooted the server shortly before going to sleep, the plugin hadn't had time to repopulate the information.

Mike D1
2008-12-09, 17:38
Can you tell me what you did to get Internet Radio working? I'm assuming that you need to configure the firewall to allow inbound traffic on ports 3483 & 9000, but so far I haven't gotten it to work.

Also, I just noticed that the SuperDate plugin isn't working properly. Perhaps it's using the same ports to connect to the internet.

Well I'm a brand newbie here. I haven't even tried Internet Radio, but we get Pandora no problem. I'll probably try Internet Radio tonight, now that you mention it.

Mike D1
2008-12-09, 18:57
Okay, just tried Internet Radio . . . no problem. Guess I was just born under a lucky star :)

morsejeff
2008-12-09, 22:32
Okay, just tried Internet Radio . . . no problem. Guess I was just born under a lucky star :)

Yeah, mine starting working automatically on its own as well. I read one review the other day regarding the DLINK DIR-655 and it said to wait like 10 minutes after upgrading the firmware for the router to settle in. Sounded hokey to me, but seems like that was the case for me because immediately after I got the router hooked up, I upgraded the firmware.

Oh well, stranger things have happened.