PDA

View Full Version : Quick jump from a SqueezeBox to another with the controller

vrobin
2008-11-20, 16:06
Hi,

Is there an existing shortcut or a way to create such shortcut in the SB Controller to switch the control from a squeezebox to another?

I have two SB very near and I often need to do such action with the controller and this is so slow to have 6 actions for changing the controlled SB. I'd like to change only by keeping one touch pressed.

Any idea?
Robin

Howard Passman
2008-11-21, 02:45
Hi,

Is there an existing shortcut or a way to create such shortcut in the SB Controller to switch the control from a squeezebox to another?

I have two SB very near and I often need to do such action with the controller and this is so slow to have 6 actions for changing the controlled SB. I'd like to change only by keeping one touch pressed.

Any idea?
Robin

Depending on what SB's you have (I assume at least one is an SBR) you could use two remotes. Buying two controllers is a little prohibitive, so if you have two SBR's never mind.

TGIF

Howard

elziko
2008-11-21, 03:24
What do you mean by a quick jump?

I've often thought it would be nice to be playing a track on one SB and then be able, using the Controller, to transfer the playing of that track to another SB (without 'stopping' the track) and stop it playing on the first SB.

It can be done but not without quite a few button presses.

vrobin
2008-11-21, 03:51
Depending on what SB's you have (I assume at least one is an SBR) you could use two remotes. Buying two controllers is a little prohibitive, so if you have two SBR's never mind.

TGIF

Howard

The switch would be between a SB3 and a SBR. Both are synchronized in "play/pause" mode, but the volume is independant.

The SB3 is in the bedroom with the ir remote for "bed control" and the SBR is in the living, but when I'm in the kitchen listening to both SBs, I often need to change volume separately.
The other case is when I'm going to bed, I want to switch off the SBR of the living while keeping the bedroom playing... if the SBC is controlling the SB3 of the bedroom, I have to do 4 or 6 actions to switch the SBR of the living (I regret the lack of IR of the SBR as it could have been stopped by the macro of my harmony remote :( ) and another set of actions to get back to controlling of the bedroom SB3 after the SBR is stopped.

This is driving me crazy :). I'd like a single "long press of a button" to switch from the SB3 to the SBR, stop the SBR and another "long press of a button" to get back to the SB3 control.

What do you mean by a quick jump?

I've often thought it would be nice to be playing a track on one SB and then be able, using the Controller, to transfer the playing of that track to another SB (without 'stopping' the track) and stop it playing on the first SB.

It can be done but not without quite a few button presses.

In fact, I didn't mean easy sychronization, but the need you're describing seems related to mine: the need of some sort of macro for the SBR. For example, configure behavior of long press on a button would suit both my problem and yours...

elziko
2008-11-21, 03:57
In fact, I didn't mean easy sychronization, but the need you're describing seems related to mine: the need of some sort of macro for the SBR. For example, configure behavior of long press on a button would suit both my problem and yours...

What I was suggesting wasn't to synchronise two SBs but to move a playing track from one SB to another although the way to do it currently is through synchronization. I'm not sure a simple macro would work in this case though because you couldn't be sure to get the timing right.

vrobin
2008-11-21, 06:02
I'm not sure to understand you...
A case where SBx is playing and SBy is stopped or playing something else, a macro like:

- Sync SBy with SBx
- optionnally Stop SBx

would do what you want... Am I wrong? Whatever you're trying to do, both cases could (I think) be summed up with:
give SBC the possibility to create shortcut actions, be it by special keypress (long press, double press, press sequence, etc.) or personalized menu.

(Thinking about it, pressing "power + ffwd" / "power + rwd" would be the perfect combo to cycle between controlled SB)

elziko
2008-11-21, 07:30
I'm not sure to understand you...
A case where SBx is playing and SBy is stopped or playing something else, a macro like:

- Sync SBy with SBx
- optionnally Stop SBx

would do what you want... Am I wrong?

Yes and no. In real life what you'd do using the controller is

1) Listen to track on SBx, then decide you want to move the track to SBy
2) From SBx, sync with SBy
3) Once you know that SBy is playing select SBy as player
4) From SBy, unsync with SBx
5) Turn off SBx

With simple macros 3) would not be possible. Of course, you could just blindly 'play' all the necessary button presses and perhaps even have a pause between 2) and 3). I suspect it wouldn't work reliably. I'm not saying macros are a bad idea I'm just saying I wouldn't use them to achieve what I want.

vrobin
2008-11-21, 08:13
Yes and no. In real life what you'd do using the controller is

1) Listen to track on SBx, then decide you want to move the track to SBy
2) From SBx, sync with SBy
3) Once you know that SBy is playing select SBy as player
4) From SBy, unsync with SBx
5) Turn off SBx

With simple macros 3) would not be possible. Of course, you could just blindly 'play' all the necessary button presses and perhaps even have a pause between 2) and 3). I suspect it wouldn't work reliably. I'm not saying macros are a bad idea I'm just saying I wouldn't use them to achieve what I want.

In fact, rather than a macro (where a macro would be a pre recorded sequence of SBC key press sequence started by a given shortcut), a solution for your need could be to associate a shortcut on the SBC to a custom or existing call to the SC (or a set of CLI commands pre-recorded).

I think this could be done with a LUA plugin loaded in the SBC... I think I'll make a new post in the developer forum :)

elziko
2008-11-21, 08:31
Now this is what I was thinking too! Except I was thinking, implement it as a SC plugin in Perl. That way it would work without a Controller too using a Classic infra red remote.

radish
2008-11-21, 11:41
Check out the OtherPlayers plugin, it does some of this and is SBC compatible.

vrobin
2008-11-21, 16:27
Thanks for the hint. It will fit rather well elziko needs and mine, even if I have time I think I'll try to make something more direct with "shortcut access".