PDA

View Full Version : Controller power - can't turn it on...

Dinka
2008-11-20, 14:36
For some reason once I pull the controller out of the charging unit - I cannot turn it on... anybody encountered anything similar?

wburnett
2008-11-20, 22:27
Yes Just got mine and I can't figure it

camore
2008-11-21, 06:08
I had this issue also twice. Just remove the battery and replug it and start controller.

piglith
2008-11-21, 10:07
Tried that, when pluging the batterie back in. Buttons light for a second up but no screen. I've tryed doing reset, and force on. But exactly the same thing happens. Buttons blink for a second and then nothing just dead. Unit was chaarged over night and still nothing. Will check the batterie when get home with VOM meter.

Dinka
2008-11-22, 04:02
On mine the buttons don't even blink... :((

sprutzle
2008-11-22, 07:55
Tried that, when pluging the batterie back in. Buttons light for a second up but no screen. I've tryed doing reset, and force on. But exactly the same thing happens. Buttons blink for a second and then nothing just dead. Unit was chaarged over night and still nothing. Will check the batterie when get home with VOM meter.

I have exactly the same problem with my controller. Any news about a solution or is it just a HW defect?

regards
sprutzle

Howard Passman
2008-11-22, 13:01
Sounds as if the battery may be bad. Do you have any way to test it?

Howard

piglith
2008-11-23, 03:29
Ok I've tested the cradle and the battery. The cradle is outputting 5.1V.
The batterie is at 4.07V. I had left the controller on the cradle over night. I think this is a hardware defect we are dealing with.

I noticed that my DHCP server isn't registering the unit so its not even talking. I was thinking that maybe it was just a faulty display.
If you can test the battery it should be 3.7-4.1V. The cradle should be 4.5-5V

I contacted Squeeze support and was transferred up to second level for a return of the controller. I had purchased the unit threw a third party but dealt with them directly. He said he would take care of me Tuesday and ship a new unit. I will keep posted

Pim
2008-11-25, 13:26
I have same problem. After showing logitech logo the controller is complete black, but lights are on. Even after factory reset problem still occur. controller is reachable by a ping. But how can i get the menu back?

Howard Passman
2008-11-25, 15:32
I have same problem. After showing logitech logo the controller is complete black, but lights are on. Even after factory reset problem still occur. controller is reachable by a ping. But how can i get the menu back?

Shut off the controller by whatever means then hold the 'volume up' button down while restarting. Wait until the Logitech icon shows up then release the 'volume up' button and see if it boots up all the way.

Howard

Pim
2008-11-26, 10:55
Shut off the controller by whatever means then hold the 'volume up' button down while restarting. Wait until the Logitech icon shows up then release the 'volume up' button and see if it boots up all the way.

Howard

I tried this many times, but no reaction on the controller...

MickeyG
2008-11-26, 12:24
Please contact support for this issue. If you are seeing the Logitech logo and then a blank screen, then you probably have a defective unit.

Support will help you ascertain the situation and possibly replace your unit as the situation warrants.

Mickey

Pim
2008-11-29, 02:22
Please contact support for this issue. If you are seeing the Logitech logo and then a blank screen, then you probably have a defective unit.

Support will help you ascertain the situation and possibly replace your unit as the situation warrants.

Mickey

Mickey,
thanks, finally it is solved (after many times trying).

mikeselectricstuff
2008-11-30, 12:34
I've seen this happen a few times recently - had to remove battery to recover - there have been quite a few firmware updates recently and looks like something has been broken in the process.

MickeyG
2008-12-02, 10:19
Mickey,

I am glad you resolved your problem. However, it's not clear to me what you did. What did you do "many times"? Did you remove the battery or hold down the volume up key or hold down the "+" key or ???

Can you check to see what version of firmware you currently are running? Go to Settings->Advanced->About to view the version.

Details on your experience might be helpful in tracking down the issue and fixing it.

Thanks for the update.

Mickey

blaaaaaaah
2008-12-17, 13:14
Hi,

I have the same issue.
Everything was working fine but a couple of days ago, the controller went off and no way to put in on again.

Tried hard reboot (holding plus or volume up button while restarting), the controller sometimes blinks but the screen stays black.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Thomas

daigoro
2008-12-20, 07:41
Hello,

My controller had the same issue, its seems the controller hardware is not too stable. but earlier im experienced issues with the craddle too: sometimes wont charge the controller (no beep sound, no baterry animation on the screen), well, maybe its the controller prob too... who knows?

bye,
christian

blaaaaaaah
2008-12-30, 08:31
Hi all,

Just an update on what happened to me. I opened a ticket at Logitech's help desk, they asked me to hold the "+" button while reinserting the battery, but nothing more. They then transferred my issue to the European team (I'm in France) that told me they can't address the issue by email and that I've to call them directly. I took my phone and called the french helpdesk. He simply asked me to send over the invoice and they will send me a new complete Duet :)

That's what I call good support ! Hope I will received it soon .. :)

Thomas

Yannzola
2009-01-04, 14:37
Mickey,

What solved it? I have the same problem (unit will not turn on, lights on buttons blink for a second, screen remains black ).... occured after updating firmware via SCP

Edit: Nevermind.... looks like the solution is to return the unit. Damn. Mine was an older beta unit (not covered by the replacement policy) It was working just fine until I updated the firmware to support SC 7.3. Oh well... :(

Geraldf
2009-01-06, 01:39
Hi, I have the same problem. After comming back from christmas vacation I tried to turn my controller on wihtout any luck. I had the same problme in the past, where removing the battery resolved it. This time this solution is not working unfortunately. I am on 7.3, so not sure if the new FW is casuing this. I already opened a Ticket at the Logitech site, but no awnser so far.

I bought my Duet early september via E-Bay Germany and got it shipped from the US to India where I live right now. Not sure how to manage a replacement if it is a HW defect :-(.
I really hope, there is a "magic" key combination to get it working.

regards
Gerald

camore
2009-01-07, 06:27
Hello to everybody

Try to boot your SBC while it is in the charging cradle.
Mine has the same problem from time to time but mostly it comes up booting it up this way or remove/insert battery before.

Hope this helps

Geraldf
2009-01-13, 00:38
I just want to give you a small update what happened to me. After trying for about a week different actions for example removing the battery, holding the plus key while inserting the battery, charging for two of days, trying different key combination, all without success without success, I decided finally to call the US support line for help.
While I was on the phone with the support agent I removed the battery again to note the serial number. When I then reinserted the battery, the controller booted normally. All in all it is working again, but I donít know why. I had removed and inserted the battery about 20 times before without success.
Seeing the number of people in this forum having the same problem I believe there is a problem with the controller.
Kind regards
Gerald

pallenygaard
2009-01-18, 08:59
It seems, there are many Duet-controller owners, that have this problem. Some have been lucky to:
- press the PLUS-button before inserting the battery
- press both the PLUS-button and the HOME button
- press the HOME BUTTON for 12 seconds
- removed and replaced the battery
- removed the batteri for more than 1 minut before inserted it again

But for now, I have tried all these suggested solutions, and my controller still only lights up 1 second (with the white light in the buttons), and nothing else happens.

It seems that others have the same problem, and couldn't find the solution, so my questions are:
- Isn't there a good solution to this?
- Have someone found out, that it is a firmware-problem, or perhaps Logitech have done a production of bad controllers?

I can say:
- I'm sure my batteri is charged
- I have tried to remove/insert the batteri now 200 times without luck
- I have succeeded in remove/insert the batteri 2 weeks ago, when I had the same problem (3 times I have succeeded with this, but is it not the case any longer)
- I have pressed/holded the PLUS-button down, and then inserted the batteri

It is totally dead, except that it lights up for 1 second when trying to start the controller.

Have anyone some news in this case, some new sugestions, some new talkings to Logitech Support, that could help?

Thank you

Edward Lowy
2009-01-18, 14:23
Can only report exactly the same problem. Duet purchased May 2008 in the UK, all working fine until last Tuesday, Controller completely dead, suddenly!

Have tried every combination of button press, battery in / out etc, it's dead. UK retailer (large chain) not helpful.

Logitech, you've got a problem!

Rick_W
2009-01-20, 13:39
exactly the same

was worried about set up

work perfectly - controller saw my vaio; recognised itunes library worked perfectly very happy

then switched to squeezenetwork it froze and no i cant get anything

not impressed

EDIT SqueezeCentre working ok so computer can see everything ok just the controller has died after working nicely

Geraldf
2009-02-25, 08:36
I had the same problem several times. Meanwhile I found a way to get it bach to work.
See this thread :http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=399677&postcount=4

regards
Gerald

Edward Lowy
2009-02-26, 06:07
Tried Gerald's "fix" by leaving battery out for periods of up to a week. It never worked for me. Nothing worked, unit was dead.

Controller replaced eventually by store I purchased it at - took a month to achieve this which is ridiculous.

I think there is a hardware issue with the controllers, perhaps early build ones, as we are around the anniversary of them being launched

rocketiii
2009-04-26, 00:19
My Duet is 3 weeks old and I have just got the same problem with the Controller. When I try to switch it on the buttons light up for a split second but the Controller does not switch on. I've tried all the suggestions here and nothing has worked so far. Has anyone found a fix to this or should I return the unit?

blaaaaaaah
2009-04-26, 01:43
Hey,

Try to give a call to Logitech's customer service, they'll ask you to hard reboot the controller (As you already did if you tried all the solutions of this post). If it doesn't work, they'll send you a brand new one within a week :)

Good luck,

Thomas

varun
2009-05-08, 22:13
I have the same problem, the remote was working till last week when I powered it off before i went out of town for 4 days. Now it is NOT switching on even after charging for more than 24 hours. I too removed the battery etc and tried various stuff but it just lights for 1 sec when u put in the battery but after that nothing. I am quite fed up with duet as the remote had been replaced earlier once by logitech for some other problem. I am in India and it quite a task for me to send it back to the USA. Sigh....what to do ..pls help

Letten
2009-05-09, 00:33
Could it simply be a faulty cradle that leaves you with an empty battery?. Try putting some paper behind the controller to support it in the cradle and leave it to charge for some time. Then try to power up while in the cradle.

varun
2009-05-09, 01:25
Hey I tried that too , but no sign of life even after few hours of charging in cradle. How do I know if the cradle is charging or not ?

Letten
2009-05-09, 02:03
Well, if the controller is on it usually makes a sound when placed in the cradle (unless the sound has been disabled). But in your case, that's not relevant :-).

I guess the only way is to try power on (press and hold "home") while firmly in the cradle. Perhaps double check that the battery is placed correctly (it's actually possible to place it incorretly).

If you have acces to the right equipment you could try measuring the voltage on the pins in the cradle.

Other than that, try support, maybe it just a faulty battery, mine died after 11 months, got a new one through support.

rocketiii
2009-05-09, 13:42
I contacted Logitech support and they were unable to fix the problem and advised me to return the unit to the retailer. I have now got a replacement - fingers crossed this one is ok.

BastiaanR
2009-05-09, 14:11
How do I know if the cradle is charging or not ?

Measure the voltage on the contact pins of the cradle?

Nojelc
2009-06-23, 09:58
Just to advise that I have just had this same problem too. It is nothing to do with the cradle or battery as I have access to two controllers and swapped batteries over, and cradles over, but always one worked and the other did not.

I solved it based on advice in this thread i.e. by inserting the battery with + held down. This did a complete resent and it went into the normal set up routing. After re-entering my WEP key I am now back up and running.

mefisto
2009-06-28, 13:33
Haven't used my controller for about 3weeks, so maybe completely discharged, anyway i put it on charge earlier, and same issue, wont power up, held + etc with battery disconnected/reconnected, nothing.
Guess ill be on the blower to Logitech tomorrow as well.

jrichardson
2009-06-29, 10:13
Remove the battery from your unit THEN put it on the charger.

if it powers up, you have a dead battery

if it fails to power up, you have a dead unit OR the Cradle is dead

in either case, you will need to contact support to get the right item replaced.

mefisto
2009-06-29, 15:11
left on charge all night, got home to find it powered up ok....!!!

Nojelc
2009-08-21, 06:37
This very annoying problem has now happened to me again. The circumstances were as follows. Before going to bed I had shut down the PC running SC, before turning off the SBR (normally the other way round). This left the SBR with a blue wireless signal and no connection. I tried "Turn off squeezebox" and got the connecting to PC message and swirly blobs, which of course it failed to do. I then held down home to shut down the SBC. The next morning it was dead, dead, dead.

I tried all the normal reboot options as documented in this thread and all failed time and again, including leaving the SBC for 24hrs+ both with and without battery inserted.

Finally having written it off as a basket case, but not having got round to contacting Logitech for a replacement, the SBR had been left out of the cradle with battery inserted for a few days so battery was flat. I inserted the SBR into the cradle without the battery in place and - woopee - it booted up. Popped battey in again and we were up and running.

So there seems to be no magic bullet to wake up a dead SBR - but if you keep trying different things it can be done.

holbob
2009-09-01, 05:25
Just thought I'd bump this thread to say i got mine 2 weeks ago and the problem is still happening. This was from Play.com UK. Haven't tried the various suggestions in this thread yet but don't want to send it back for something so small (but very annoying). My controller seems to run out of power very quickly, so i'm assuming the controller isn't fully charging either.