PDA

View Full Version : new squeezebox user, mostly satisfied

zero the hero
2008-11-20, 08:09
Got my new squeezebox duet last night, and for the most part I love it. It's so cool accessing all my music at the touch of a button or two, and the sound is terrific. Better and easier than using my Zen analog'd into my reciever, and Slacker is awesome, as is Rhapsody streaming. This is going to be a good relationship I think, although I do have two issues.

One, only a handul of my music actually shows up in the "Albums" folder; the rest of it I have to go to my music folder. Most of my music is ripped using WMA VBR from WMP 11, and a handful of my best albums are ripped in FLAC. All the FLAC albums and a small handful of WMA files show up as albums, the rest don't. Why not? I've read enough to download mp3tag, but I dont see any difference in the music that does compared to the music that doesn't. Windows Media player is smart enough to recognize everything in album format, why isn't Squeezecenter? I guess I'll figure it out eventually, but that's a little frustrating.

<edit> just realized that mp3tag probably won't do any good with WMA files... any suggestions?

Second, Rhapsody subscription music. So, if I have subscription music downloaded to my computer, the Duet will not play it because of DRM. So why isn't it smart enough to stream it then? Now I have to delete the files from my computer and readd them to my Rhapsody library as stream only. Well that sucks since then I won't be able to play those files through my Xbox360, which incidentally doesnt care about the DRM. That's really annoying, I gotta tell you.

Still, this is a very cool product that otherwise is perfect for my needs, since my PC is always on and even if I do add more zones, I certainly won't be playing the same music at the same time or care if there is a split second discontinuity. If you're critically listening to music, then you're not really going to be wandering around your house.

Phil Leigh
2008-11-20, 10:32
1) use a tag-friendly format, not WMA
2) avoid anything (ANYTHING) to do with DRM
3) enjoy your purchase
4) use WOL to save the planet
Happy Days.

zero the hero
2008-11-20, 10:57
Whats WOL?

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-20, 11:26
One, only a handul of my music actually shows up in the "Albums" folder; the rest of it I have to go to my music folder. Most of my music is ripped using WMA VBR from WMP 11, and a handful of my best albums are ripped in FLAC. All the FLAC albums and a small handful of WMA files show up as albums, the rest don't. Why not? I've read enough to download mp3tag, but I dont see any difference in the music that does compared to the music that doesn't.

WMP can rip your own music with DRM, and for a while DRM was enabled by default. Check the setting, but if they were ripped with DRM they have to be re-ripped.

Windows Media player is smart enough to recognize everything in album format, why isn't Squeezecenter? I guess I'll figure it out eventually, but that's a little frustrating.

WMP, like iTunes, wants to do things its way and may tag files in a non-standard format. It may use some sort of database to store album names and album art and may have some sort of linkback tag in the file itself to retrieve this information.

lrossouw
2008-11-21, 05:23
Whats WOL?
wol = wake on lan.

You can set your pc hibernate and then to wake up by receiving a special message on the lan. This is a windows setting and a bios setting I think. The squeezebox/duet/receiver can be coded to send that message.

InTheBath
2008-11-26, 12:59
I use a mix of WMA and mp3 (mostly WMA) and also use mp3tag for most of my tagging needs.
I've found it works fine with my WMA files. In fact things tend to be a bit simpler - most of my tag issues have been due to having mp3s with several conflicting tags from different versions of the tagging standard. That doesn't seem to arise with WMA.
I say stick with mp3tag - it's the second best tagger I've found (JRiver Media Center is better, but more expensive and a lot bigger).

M.