PDA

View Full Version : SC Version 7.0.x

NauticusLX
2008-11-19, 13:20
I just read in this forum that SC version 7.0.x (in particular, v.0.1) supports the XM plug-in that is currently in use. (More recent versions of SC reportedly do not support XM radio.) How can I get SC version 7.0.x, so that I can get XM radio on my Squeezebox?

aubuti
2008-11-19, 14:29
the usual place: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/

NauticusLX
2008-11-20, 11:23
Life sure doesn't get any easier...

The instruction states: double-click the SqueezeCenter Installer... There is no file or folder with this name! What file do I click on to install the Squeeze Center? Is it a file in the "Server" folder? There's a file called "squeezecenter.exe", is that it? Honestly, I don't want to run an exe program that I'm not supposed to.

Sorry to bother, can anybody help?

aubuti
2008-11-20, 13:04
If you want SC 7.0.1:

1) go to http://downloads.slimdevices.com/ (as mentioned earlier)
2) change to the SqueezeCenter_v7.0.1 folder
3) for Windows, download the file named "SqueezeCenter-7.0.1.exe"
4) double-click (or Start > Run) the file you downloaded
5) follow the prompts

That said, I don't see how you could possibly have a file called squeezecenter.exe if you haven't already run the installer (ie, the file you downloaded). Could it be an older/newer version that you had already installed? Or did you run the installer without knowing it? Or possibly you executed "SqueezeCenter-7.0.1.exe" instead of saving it to disk in step #3?

NauticusLX
2008-11-20, 13:30
Is that the same file as the "squeezecenter.exe" file that's in the "server" folder that's in the "SqueezeCenter 7.0.1" folder that's extracted in the "big download" file? If all I need to do is download that one exe file, why are there so many other files in the "big download" file?

aubuti
2008-11-20, 14:16
Is that the same file as the "squeezecenter.exe" file that's in the "server" folder that's in the "SqueezeCenter 7.0.1" folder that's extracted in the "big download" file? If all I need to do is download that one exe file, why are there so many other files in the "big download" file?
"SqueezeCenter-7.0.1.exe" is the installer file. You run it to install SC. As you have observed, it installs many files on your system. Because SC needs all these files to run. *One* of those many files is the main executable, which is "squeezecenter.exe". But you can't run SC with *only* "squeezecenter.exe". You. Need. All. The. Files.

NauticusLX
2008-11-21, 23:08
But isn't "SqueezeCenter-7.0.1.exe" a file that's included in "SqueezeCenter-7.0.1.ZIP" ? I downloaded the zip file, but "SqueezeCenter-7.0.1.exe" doesn't seem to be in this zipped folder, as I explained above.

Should I delete the zipped folder that I downloaded, and just download the exe file (of the same name) instead?

Do other people have these same issues? I've used SqueezeBox v3 for over 2 years now,it's become part of my life. Getting XM through my Squeezebox will take it to the next level! PSYCHE!

mherger
2008-11-22, 01:34
> Should I delete the zipped folder that I downloaded, and just download
> the exe file (of the same name) instead?

yes.

--

Michael

NauticusLX
2008-11-23, 19:12
What's the purpose of the zipped folder if it doesn't contain the Installer file? Do I need to download the zipped folder at some point, if so, when?

aubuti
2008-11-23, 19:43
What's the purpose of the zipped folder if it doesn't contain the Installer file? Do I need to download the zipped folder at some point, if so, when?
The zip file is for people who want to install SC without running the Windows installer. I don't run SC on Windows so I'm not sure why someone would want to do that, but the option is there. It requires some more know-how than running the installer, so you should just stick with the installer. That's all you need.