PDA

View Full Version : McAfee and Squeezecentre on HP Mediasmart Server

kesa
2008-11-19, 12:27
Hi,
I hope I am not causing anyone to repeat themselves.

But I could do with some help with a problem with McAfee preventing me running a scan on when adding music to my library. I have trawled the forum for hours and have not come up with a solution.

I am running Squeezecentre V 7.2.1 on a HP MediaSmart Server running WHS and things are pretty good; except I have to uninstall the free McAfee Total Protection software to be able to successfully add any music to my music library on D:\shares\Music\Squeeze.

Can anybody advise me on how to overcome this I can’t find a way of configuring McAfee?

Or should I bin the McAfee; if so what is a good alternative, McAfee would normally be my AV protection of choice, in the past it has not given me any problems.

I just want to listen to my music I don’t want it to take over my life!

Many thanks.

locksh
2008-11-19, 13:05
You need to logon to the McAfee security centre and create a policy to exclude C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\ and C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ from being scanned.

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-19, 13:13
Also get it to exclude .MY* files.

This will exclude the .MYI and .MYD files the SqueezeCenter MySQL creates for its database.

norderney
2008-11-20, 01:06
You need to logon to the McAfee security centre and create a policy to exclude C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\ and C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ from being scanned.

I run McAfee Security Centre as well, but I have not found any way of excluding files. Anybody know how you "logon" and create a policy to exclude files with McAfee Security Centre? McAfee Security Centre was supplied free with my Dell 9200 PC about 18 months ago.

Or do I just dump McAfee and install something like http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/kaspersky_internet_security instead?

kesa
2008-11-20, 11:43
Hi,
I hope I am not causing anyone to repeat themselves.

But I could do with some help with a problem with McAfee preventing me running a scan on when adding music to my library. I have trawled the forum for hours and have not come up with a solution.

I am running Squeezecentre V 7.2.1 on a HP MediaSmart Server running WHS and things are pretty good; except I have to uninstall the free McAfee Total Protection software to be able to successfully add any music to my music library on D:\shares\Music\Squeeze.

Can anybody advise me on how to overcome this I canít find a way of configuring McAfee?

Or should I bin the McAfee; if so what is a good alternative, McAfee would normally be my AV protection of choice, in the past it has not given me any problems.

I just want to listen to my music I donít want it to take over my life!

Many thanks.

Thanks for your offers of assistance, I have created the exclusions you have suggested but the scan fails as always during the merge Various Artist stage. Squeezecenter says it has completed the scan when it hasnít.

Any other ideas I will willingly try.

I have sent a note to McAfee to see if they can help with their Total Protection Service. I may also try the HP MediaSmart forum.

Surely I canít be the only one having these problems can I?

norderney
2008-11-20, 17:16
I have created the exclusions you have suggested but ......

How did you create the exclusions? I am running McAfee Security Centre version 8.1.