PDA

View Full Version : Group disks as single album not working -other stuff too

RichNY
2008-11-19, 11:15
Although I have the group disks set to treat mult-disks as single albums, I am still seeing multi disk albums as separate disks in duet. I have reset/saved/rescanned multiple times and doesnt help.
I have checked/fixed my tags in media monkey - so they are alright,suggestions?

Also - should I be using ID3 v1, v2 or a combo of both (media monkey option)

aubuti
2008-11-19, 16:48
*Don't* use both with SqueezeCenter. You're best off with v2 only. Also make sure you don't have any Ape tags in there. Are the tracks from different discs in the same directory or different directories? Are your ALBUM tags exactly identical across all tracks? Do you have the disc number tag set?

westy
2008-11-19, 17:19
hi there.....Iam no expert on the logitech duet only had mine for a week but as far as i can see even if you have your albums tagged correctly if the tracks are in 2 different folders i.e. cd1 and cd2 then the duet will see them as 2 seperate albums ......please someone correct me if Iam wrong ....or even better are they gona fix this on version 7.3 ?

radish
2008-11-19, 21:07
hi there.....Iam no expert on the logitech duet only had mine for a week but as far as i can see even if you have your albums tagged correctly if the tracks are in 2 different folders i.e. cd1 and cd2 then the duet will see them as 2 seperate albums ......please someone correct me if Iam wrong ....or even better are they gona fix this on version 7.3 ?

No, that's not true. I split my files by disc but they get combined properly in SC7. You need to make sure the disc number tags are set the right way (I have DISCNUMBER and TOTALDISCS tags for FLAC, but ID3 uses different names I'm sure).

aubuti
2008-11-19, 21:20
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but consider yourself corrected ;o) If you make sure that all the tracks have strictly identical ALBUM tags, and DISCNUMBER tags (this is for FLAC), then SC will see them as a single album even if they are split across different folders.

For example, I have a Paul Simon box set of 3 CDs. Each CD is in a different folder, corresponding to the CD, because that was the easiest thing to do when I was ripping and I haven't been bothered to change it. It shows up as a single album on the web ui, the SB Controller, and the SB player screen. The tracks are numbered X-y, with X being the CD number and y being the track number, which runs from 1-n on each CD. I get the same results on SC 7.2 and 7.3, and indeed it has been the same since slimserver 6.3.

There is a gotcha, but not the one you refer to. The gotcha is that some versions of MySQL have a sorting bug, by which it will display and play the tracks in the order 1-01, 2-01, 3-01, 1-02, 2-02, 3-02, etc. instead of the normal 1-01, 1-02, 1-03, etc. But even then it shows up as a single album.

Also, I vaguely recall there being problems in some cases if you have cover art files (cover.jpg or folder.jpg, etc.) in more than one of the folders, although I don't remember what the specific problem was. If you have cover art in each of your folders, try deleting the "extras" so that the cover art is in one and only one folder per multi-CD album.

What format are your files in? If they are MP3 then the tags probably have different names, but it should still work.

westy
2008-11-20, 03:50
my files are all in mp3 format......all are tagged so as they appear as a single album in itunes, winamp, windows media player, on ipods and on my pinnacle soundbridge the only hardware which insists on breaking up my double cds into 2 albums is the duet......its gotta be a duet issue rather than my tags ...I tag using both itunes and media monkey ..the fields i tag are
1 the track name
2 artist name
3 album artist
4 album name
5 genre
6 track numbers
7 year
for obvious reasons 3, 4, 5, and 7 are allways the same
2 is different for compilation albums but then i tag field 3 with various artists"
6 is numbered 01 to however many tracks on the whole album be it 12 or 101.
hope someone can explain why the duet insists on spliting them up into which folders they are in

westy
2008-11-20, 03:58
p.s. as soon as i cut and paste an affected albums tracks all into the same folder and rescan with squeezecenter the duet sees it as one album

aubuti
2008-11-20, 07:55
my files are all in mp3 format......all are tagged so as they appear as a single album in itunes, winamp, windows media player, on ipods and on my pinnacle soundbridge the only hardware which insists on breaking up my double cds into 2 albums is the duet......its gotta be a duet issue rather than my tags ...I tag using both itunes and media monkey ..the fields i tag are
1 the track name
2 artist name
3 album artist
4 album name
5 genre
6 track numbers
7 year
for obvious reasons 3, 4, 5, and 7 are allways the same
2 is different for compilation albums but then i tag field 3 with various artists"
6 is numbered 01 to however many tracks on the whole album be it 12 or 101.
hope someone can explain why the duet insists on spliting them up into which folders they are in
Two things:
1) I don't see any tag for disc number in your list. I don't know what it's called in ID3-speak, but as radish and I pointed out earlier, it's something you must have for SC to see it as the same album. Try it and see if that takes care of the issue. Remember to do a full clear and rescan after editing the tags.

2) Does Media Monkey show if you have both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags? I know that iTunes doesn't. Check to make sure you don't have *any* ID3v1 tags in your files, they should be all ID3v2. Convert them if you have to. It is possible that you have a non-identical ID3v1 ALBUM tag that is mucking things up in SC but not in other programs. If Media Monkey won't show both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, try looking at them in mp3tag. mp3tag is excellent freeware, and there's a good guide to using it in wiki.slimdevices.com.

DoomWolf
2008-11-20, 08:17
2) Does Media Monkey show if you have both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags? I know that iTunes doesn't. Check to make sure you don't have *any* ID3v1 tags in your files, they should be all ID3v2. Convert them if you have to. It is possible that you have a non-identical ID3v1 ALBUM tag that is mucking things up in SC but not in other programs. If Media Monkey won't show both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, try looking at them in mp3tag. mp3tag is excellent freeware, and there's a good guide to using it in wiki.slimdevices.com.

That was the issue when I had the exact same problem last year. After weeks of frustration I finally found (by using mp3tag) that my files had both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in them. I used mp3tag to delete the ID3v1 tags, leaving the ID3v2 tags there on there own, and the issue was immediately resolved (along with adding the DISCNUMBER tags, e.g. 1/2 and 2/2 for each disc).

westy
2008-11-20, 12:19
doing a complete rescan now .....but if it works im still gonna have to work through all my collection re-tagging .....and its a large collection :-)
couldnt logitech just fix what i see as a bug in its software in version 7.3 seems that quite a few people are having trouble with this issue after all the naming of the discs seems something you only have to do for this product....
what do other people think ?
westy
p.s just wondering if there is a plug in that could fix this

snarlydwarf
2008-11-20, 12:51
The problem is there is no good fix. The problem is the old "Commonly Named Albums".

How do you tell which tracks go together:

Album Name: Greatest Hits
Artist: Elvis

Album Name: Greatest Hits
Artist: Duran Duran

Is that two albums? How do you know?

(Hint, perhaps "greatest hits" is actually a huge hundred-cd collection of the top 40 songs from the last 50 years... How would you know from just the tags?)

The "they must be in the same directory, or have disc number tags" helps some (other than the old way of listing all the common titles, which gets extra fun when you forget you have a ton of albums called 'Acoustic' or 'Live' or 'Greatest Hits' or 'MTV Acoustic' or...)

Computers are stupid and only do what they are told. If you can come up with a logic that always works, feel free to post it, but I don't think it's possible.

aubuti
2008-11-20, 12:55
You only have to add disc number tags to your multi-disc sets. With a good tagging program like mp3tag you can filter on directories that contain the strings like "cd" or "disc" or "disk" to weed out most of your single-disc albums and you'll be done in short order.

Or, since you already have the tracks numbered sequentially for the entire set, you could easily get mp3tag to re-organize your folder structure to put all the tracks in a set in the same folder, organized by /artist - album - year/tracknum-title.mp3 or however you prefer to do it. Presumably those other programs you use don't insist on dividing the CDs into different folders.

If you want to file a bug the place to do it is http://bugs.slimdevices.com/. You need to register separately there to post a bug.

westy
2008-11-20, 15:26
bloody hell and i thought i knew how to tag
i have downloaded mp3tag but cant make sence of it
is anyone willing to post a step by step idiots guide
and is there a way to sort this out quickly ?

DoomWolf
2008-11-21, 03:53
I really recommend reading the MP3Tag help files, the Slim Devices Wiki tagging guide http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide_To_Tagging and the wiki MP3Tag guide http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide

MP3Tag is a powerful tool and fairly intuitive if you play with it for a short time.

From the wiki:

Mp3tag will now have a new column displaying all tag types present in the file. Note SlimServer prefers ID3v2 tags, and keep in mind that ID3v1 tags have a 30-character limit. A file can have both types, which may confuse SlimServer.

If you want to remove all but ID3v2 tags, first go to Tools > Options and select the Tags > Mpeg option from the left hand menu tree in the options dialog box. Tick all options under 'Read', untick ID3v1 and APEv2 under 'Write' and tick only ID3v1 and APEv2 under 'Remove' (leave ID3v2 UNTICKED under here). What this allows is that the software will read and display all available tags, but will only write tags as ID3v2 and if you use the Remove Tag button it will only delete tags that aren't ID3v2. Screenshot in the wiki linked above.

You can also view what tag types are in any file through the columns on the main screen. Right-click the column headers and click 'Customize Columns'. You will need to enable the columns 'Current Tag' (what tags are currently being displayed in the left-hand panel) and 'Tags in File' (what tags exist in the file). I can't remember if they're default options in the list to be selected. If not, create them with the New button and set the 'value' and 'field' options to %_tag_read% for Current Tag and %_tag% for Tags in File.

To remove the non-ID3v2 tags, change the folder view to that of the root folder containing your music files (may take a while to display all tracks depending on the size of your collection) from the 'Change directory...' button on the toolbar. Now highlight all of your files (Ctrl-A), although the wiki recommends doing 1000 at a time for large collections - whichever you're comfortable with, and first click the Save button on the toolbar. With the options already set, this will ensure all your tags are saved into ID3v2 if they weren't already. When this is done, click the Remove button and this will now delete all non-ID3v2 tags.

I would also suggest taking a full backup of your music collection before making such wholesale changes. After all, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

aubuti
2008-11-21, 06:25
Excellent write up by DoomWolf targeted to westy's needs. I'll only add that the filtering I mentioned to limit scope to multi-disc albums is at the bottom (I know it seems obvious, but sometimes it's better not to assume). For example, in the Field drop-down menu in the bottom left corner choose _PATH, and in the Filter box to the right put "disc". It will turn up some false positives -- like the album I have called "Steal this Disc" -- but it will hide tracks that aren't multi-disc sets.

Depending on how consistent you were in naming directories you might need to use more than one filtering condition to get all your multi-disc albums. For example, if sometimes you used "cd1" and "cd2", then you'll want to do another round of filtering on "cd".

DoomWolf
2008-11-21, 07:16
Good tip aubuti, because the DISCNUMBER tag will also need to be set on all the multi-disc albums. If you don't see the filter box, click View > Filter or press F3.

I would add it's probably a good idea for westy to sort out the tag versions on all of his music files to avoid other potential tag conflicts within Squeezecenter.

westy
2008-11-21, 13:00
cheers for that guys
Westy