PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Controller SD Card Slot

mwkwok
2008-11-18, 10:45
Hi, does it support SDHC?

aubuti
2008-11-18, 11:15
Hi, does it support SDHC?
Apparently yes (I say apparently because I haven't heard much about it). See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ControllerSDCards

mwkwok
2008-11-19, 11:19
Thanks! I will buy a class 4 or class 6 SD card to store the Unicode font.

piglith
2008-11-21, 10:08
Anyone know if the firmware can be updated via SD card?

mherger
2008-11-21, 10:23
> Anyone know if the firmware can be updated via SD card?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeOS_Upgrades

--

Michael

piglith
2008-11-21, 10:45
Thanks for the quick replay

kc5f
2008-11-21, 14:01
So other than giving an alternative for firmware upgrades, what would putting a card in the card slot do? I have a card listed as compatible and could put it in. But what purpose would it serve a "basic" user like me?

funkstar
2008-11-21, 15:43
None at all.

This may change in the future, but I wouldn't count on it.

mherger
2008-11-22, 01:29
> So other than giving an alternative for firmware upgrades, what would
> putting a card in the card slot do? I have a card listed as compatible

Collecting log files if needed.

--

Michael

Howard Passman
2008-11-22, 13:03
.....store music on it for use when you are out of range..

Howard

Dogberry2
2008-11-22, 22:35
I don't see an SD card slot in my controller. At the base, between the charging posts, there is an indendation that looks about the right size, but it's covered up. What am I missing?

kidstypike
2008-11-23, 02:37
I don't see an SD card slot in my controller. At the base, between the charging posts, there is an indendation that looks about the right size, but it's covered up. What am I missing?

The SD card slot is inside the controller, just above the battery.

kidstypike

jmschnur
2008-11-23, 11:42
So what is the card for?

Joel

funkstar
2008-11-23, 14:44
So what is the card for?

Joel
So you didn't bother reading the thread then?

In brief:
- You can store large font files for non-European languages (some are far larger than the internal memory)
- Collecting of log files
- manual forced updating of the firmware

sheesh! it's not a long thread!

jmschnur
2008-11-23, 17:22
I had hoped there was more than that.
Joel

mherger
2008-11-24, 00:24
> I had hoped there was more than that.

what more did you expect?

--

Michael

bpa
2008-11-24, 01:59
You can store your own applications on it and so make the SBC do whatever you want.

I had a version of squeezeslave on the card so SBC could play audio a year ago.

funkstar
2008-11-24, 03:12
I had hoped there was more than that.
Joel
The SBC is efectively a tiny little Linux computer so you could write software or plugins that run from the SD card and could bo virtually anything. Patches welcome :)

Howard Passman
2008-11-24, 04:26
You can store your own applications on it and so make the SBC do whatever you want.

I had a version of squeezeslave on the card so SBC could play audio a year ago.

....and play them when you are out of wireless range? Could you make it one of your music folders or another server?

Howard

bpa
2008-11-24, 04:47
squeezeslave is a "C" version of Softsqueeze with no UI. It meant SBC behaved like a PC - the SBc UI had to connect to the player to play normal SC audio.

I used "aplay" to play audio files stored on the card - the problem is not the playing the files but the effort required to develop a UI to select/play/stop/ffw/rew etc either as a separate boot (i.e. instead of SqueezePlay) or as an applet. It is not feature I need so I haven't bothered doing anything else.

Howard Passman
2008-11-24, 04:53
squeezeslave is a "C" version of Softsqueeze with no UI. It meant SBC behaved like a PC - the SBc UI had to connect to the player to play normal SC audio.

I used "aplay" to play audio files stored on the card - the problem is not the playing the files but the effort required to develop a UI to select/play/stop/ffw/rew etc either as a separate boot (i.e. instead of SqueezePlay) or as an applet. It is not feature I need so I haven't bothered doing anything else.

....for the answer. I use SBC as a portable player when I walk the dog. Works well as long as I stay around the outside of the house within 150'. After that...well. It would be nice to load up and go for longer walks.

Howard

bpa
2008-11-24, 05:26
If I need music on the move - mobile phone can store music and play radio. Why bring two gadgets.

Howard Passman
2008-11-24, 06:19
If I need music on the move - mobile phone can store music and play radio. Why bring two gadgets.

Believe it or not I absolutely refuse to carry a cell phone. I value my peace and quiet at home and I know what life is like when I carry it.

I could use an mp3 player, but then I'd be swapping back and forth for around the house and out of the house on weekends. Kinda pointless for me.

It's no big deal, just thought since I was carrying it around the house anyway, why have to change to walk the dog beyond my yard.

Howard

bpa
2008-11-24, 06:32
You don't have to answer every call and there is "silent mode". Mobiles are good safety equipment for walks in quiet areas.

Back to topic.

When SBC was announced., I had thought about an integrated player but being lazy I felt the easiest solution could be a port of Rockbox as an alternate boot to SqueezePlay but I didn't do anything further. The USB port could be used to store more music.

Howard Passman
2008-11-24, 06:50
You don't have to answer every call and there is "silent mode". Mobiles are good safety equipment for walks in quiet areas.

Back to topic.

When SBC was announced., I had thought about an integrated player but being lazy I felt the easiest solution could be a port of Rockbox as an alternate boot to SqueezePlay but I didn't do anything further. The USB port could be used to store more music.

You still look :-) And if you look, you consider. At least I do.

My weekends around the house consist of reading, working on pictures with Photoshop, walking the dog a few times, running and working out downstairs, etc.. The SBC has been great because I can put it in my pocket while wandering around and then when I run, etc., hook it to some speakers down there. If no one is around, I can blast my stereo, but most of the time I try to be considerate to others at home. I figure it's also better on electricity not to be running a big power amp all day. Anyway, for the way I live the SBC has been great. I was just looking for a way to expand it to the last frontier :-) the walkies...

Howard

GREENY65
2008-11-25, 20:47
what use could i use the card for,this is new to me.

andynormancx
2008-11-26, 01:39
what use could i use the card for,this is new to me.

Are you kidding ? Read the thread !

jmschnur
2008-11-27, 12:50
once 7.3 is in with earphones an SD card for music playback of exsisting libraries would be great in ym home.

Joel