PDA

View Full Version : SB2 with no remote

Ty Bower
2008-11-18, 08:23
So I've got a Squeezebox2 and it came with no remote. I've been able to determine its IP address, and the address of the server to which it wants to connect. I've loaded the latest version of SqueezeCenter (v7.2.1) and the SB2 seems to find it, but complains it needs to upgrade its firmware. It is telling me to press and hold the brightness button to start the upgrade.

I've got no remote for the SB2. I tried using my Verizon Fios universal remote controller (black with green 'OK' button) set to all the various JVC DVD codes. None of them seem to have any effect on this SB2.

It appears the SB2 currently has firmware v15 in it. Is there a version of SlimServer which will be compatible? I just want to get this thing working, even if the firmware isn't the most up to date.

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-18, 08:54
I've loaded the latest version of SqueezeCenter (v7.2.1) and the SB2 seems to find it, but complains it needs to upgrade its firmware. It is telling me to press and hold the brightness button to start the upgrade.

Unfortunately you do need the remote for this, and only an SB remote will do as the JVC remotes obviously do not have a brightness button.

You can set it to update automatically, never asking for the brightness button again, but in order to do that you need to go back to setup, and for that you need a working remote.

I've got no remote for the SB2. I tried using my Verizon Fios universal remote controller (black with green 'OK' button) set to all the various JVC DVD codes. None of them seem to have any effect on this SB2.

It's probably because it wants the brightness button code and nothing else will do. Unfortunately the automatic update option is only in the newer firmwares, so to get this option you have to update the firmware anyway.

You may have to get a remote from Logitech, see here: https://secure.slimdevices.com/products.php?product=Backlit-Infrared-Remote This one will work with the SB2.

aubuti
2008-11-18, 08:54
If you're in the US, you can buy a SB remote from https://secure.slimdevices.com/categories.php?category=Accessories Believe me, it will be worth it.

mflint
2008-11-18, 09:01
Unfortunately you do need the remote for this, and only an SB remote will do as the JVC remotes obviously do not have a brightness button.

You can set it to update automatically, never asking for the brightness button again, but in order to do that you need to go back to setup, and for that you need a working remote.
I think I assumed you could use a JVC remote to configure the "auto update"?

Matthew

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-18, 09:10
I think I assumed you could use a JVC remote to configure the "auto update"?

Matthew

I believe auto-update is only in newer firmwares, where you can go back to setup to enable it (press and hold left for 5 seconds). But in order to get the newer firmware, you need to update the older one...which will require the brightness button.

Ty Bower
2008-11-18, 09:18
Thanks for all the replies. That confirms what I had already suspected. I'll get my hands on a remote one way or another.

My laptop has an IR port. It's too bad there is no "universal remote emulator" software I could run to send the necessary commands out the laptop's IR port.

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-18, 09:40
My laptop has an IR port. It's too bad there is no "universal remote emulator" software I could run to send the necessary commands out the laptop's IR port.

There kinda-sorta is, LIRC. http://www.lirc.org/

It's very DIY and I believe it's Linux-only, but if you can find an SB LIRC config file, it's a start. Edit: hey, there is an SB3 controller file: http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/slim_devices/ which will work for an SB2.

mflint
2008-11-18, 09:50
Another solution would be to post a new thread with title "Hey! Does anyone live near XXXX?" ;-)

You may get lucky, and be able to borrow a remote!

M

st2000
2008-11-18, 14:40
Ty Bower wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. That confirms what I had already suspected.
> I'll get my hands on a remote one way or another.
>
> My laptop has an IR port. It's too bad there is no "universal remote
> emulator" software I could run to send the necessary commands out the
> laptop's IR port.

Holy smokes, if you really want to you can download the SB remote codes
from the JP1 site: hifi-remote.com and program a $20 RadShack remote.

The catch? You will probably need to spend $30 (+$5shipping) on a JP1.3
USB programmer built by a member of the JP1 development community. You
can find the device for sale at the same site. You will also have to
invest some time understanding the processes (probably several hours).
I'll be honest, this last bit is the tough part.

What you get once you get it working? Practically and endless supply of
$10 to $50 dollar remotes that you can program as if they were those $80
$120 fancy programmable remotes.

---

BTW, your lap top probably has an IrDA port (fast). Remotes are usually
ASK (distance). Apples and Oranges I'm afraid.

Ty Bower
2008-11-18, 20:13
I've looked into JP1 before. I'd love to get a universal remote to drive my Adcom preamp. Good luck finding an off-the-shelf universal for it, but I know the JP1 codeset is out there. Maybe now is the time to finally understand the whole thing.

Back to one of my original questions - does anyone know which version of SlimServer will work with firmware 15? I don't want to try every one of them...

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like 6.1.1 is the one.

peterw
2008-11-18, 20:44
I've looked into JP1 before. I'd love to get a universal remote to drive my Adcom preamp. Good luck finding an off-the-shelf universal for it, but I know the JP1 codeset is out there. Maybe now is the time to finally understand the whole thing.

Back to one of my original questions - does anyone know which version of SlimServer will work with firmware 15? I don't want to try every one of them...

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like 6.1.1 is the one.

You might be able to use a newer version by editing the squeezebox2.version file to look something like

1..15 15

...that would at least put an end to the nagging, but I don't know how well it'll work. A few times I've hacked .version to make an older version of the server software accept a newer firmware, but I've never tried hacking to make it accept an *older* firmware.

Ty Bower
2008-11-18, 20:48
Cool. I'll look into that. Right now I'm just happy as a pig to have it playing at all... :)