PDA

View Full Version : Browsing Music Library by Album

dpacasla
2008-11-18, 08:00
I have a very stupid question. When I browse my music library by album using my controller, I want them to be listed alphabetically by album name. My list shows albums alphabetical by artist, which is both confusing and frustrating. Is there a way to make this work the way I want?

aubuti
2008-11-18, 08:08
That's funny, because I find alphabetical by album title confusing and frustrating ;o) . Fortunately SC accommodates us both. I forget exactly where the setting is, but I think it's Settings > Advanced > Album Sort Order. If that doesn't work, try simply looking under Settings > Album Sort Order.

Khuli
2008-11-18, 10:02
That's funny, because I find alphabetical by album title confusing and frustrating ;o)
Um... so in what order would you browse albums if not by title?

aubuti
2008-11-18, 11:02
Um... so in what order would you browse albums if not by title?
By artist / year / album. That's the way my LPs and CDs were organized on shelves for 30+ years(*), and I still find it useful. More useful than jumping between the Bs and the Vs because I can't remember if that album was titled "The Best of Otis Redding" or "The Very Best of Otis Redding"?

And yes, I know I could just browse by artist, and then pick out the album. But most of the time I prefer the "flatter" database that you get browsing by album. Again, it's a habit from having the physical LPs & CDs -- call me retro, but it works for me.

(*)actually the physical LPs & CDs were strictly chronological, but I don't have sufficient information in my tags to distinguish a January 1995 release from a November 1995 release.

egd
2008-11-18, 11:20
likewise, with a large collection there is no way I'd want to browse albums by album title

dpacasla
2008-11-18, 13:39
Thanks guys for the feedback. I will give the setting a try when I get home this evening.

Regarding the sort order...I'm an "old school" computer programmer. When I see something like "by album", I usually expect to see a list in sorted album name order. I can now see it both ways though...very enlightening.

Thanks for making my first post experience a pleasant one!

aubuti
2008-11-18, 14:45
Regarding the sort order...I'm an "old school" computer programmer. When I see something like "by album", I usually expect to see a list in sorted album name order. I can now see it both ways though...very enlightening.
I can see your POV, but I think of it as browsing the album *field*, without necessarily forcing it into album sort order. Likewise, browsing by genres you see your genres, not your albums (or artists) sorted by genre.

Funny story: for the first several months we had an SB my wife hated the SB3 interface, and preferred perusing the CD shelves when deciding what to listen to, and then pick up the SB remote to play it.

Khuli
2008-11-19, 03:32
By artist / year / album. That's the way my LPs and CDs were organized on shelves for 30+ years(*), and I still find it useful.
I would generally agree.. though I'm not fussed about the year order.
Technically I would call this sorting by artist though, not by album, though I agree it constitutes browsing albums, just not *by* album.

I think I probably only sort by album when checking for any missing artwork.

smessage
2008-11-19, 06:18
... but I think it's Settings > Advanced > Album Sort Order. If that doesn't work, try simply looking under Settings > Album Sort Order.

I also had this question, however I cannot find the setting mentionned.
I am running SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1.

dpacasla did you find it last night? If so where was it exactly?

Thanks,
smessage

aubuti
2008-11-19, 07:11
Technically I would call this sorting by artist though, not by album, though I agree it constitutes browsing albums, just not *by* album.
Exactly. And that's why the SC menus say "Albums" and not "by Albums." In this case you're browsing albums (i.e., the data table in which each record is a unique album) sorted by artist.

To smessage: Where are you looking? On the SB Controller it is under Home > Settings > Advanced > Album Sort Method. If you're looking for the display on the SC web interface you need to use the little drop-down menu box in the lower left corner of the pc screen. If you're talking about the sort order on the player itself (one of the players with a display, like SB 'Classic' or Boom) then it gets more complicated.

JJZolx
2008-11-19, 11:39
On the SB Controller it is under Home > Settings > Advanced > Album Sort Method.

You have to go through all that just to change the sort order?

aubuti
2008-11-19, 12:07
You have to go through all that just to change the sort order?
Well, you don't *have* to push "Home" if you're already at the home menu ;o) But really, five button pushes interspersed with a couple partial rotations of the scroll wheel doesn't seem that onerous to me, esp for something that most people set once and then leave alone. And people who like to change their sort order frequently could move "Album Sort Method" to the Home menu. Or maybe I miss your point........

amcluesent
2008-11-19, 12:57
Check out the CustomBrowse plugin, it'll give you loads of options to adjust. Once your collection gets sizeable, it's very handy to have an A-Z level before you see the lists.

smessage
2008-11-19, 23:29
If you're looking for the display on the SC web interface you need to use the little drop-down menu box in the lower left corner of the pc screen.

Hi aubuti,
Thanks for that tip, I had not noticed that small box on the left side of the web interface. I was looking in Settings both on my SB3 and the web interface and could not find it.

However now I found something funny. When I sort by "Album" on my WinXP installation of squeezecenter, it works as expected (0898 by Beautiful South is shown first). However this instalation was only for testing. On my "production" Linux installation (Fedora 9), this does not seem to work. I get "Gold by Abba" first, and almost the same sort order (though not exactly) as when I choose "Artist, Album".

Here are the version numbers:

WinXP installation
SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23630 @ Tue Oct 21 07:44:57 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
Platform Architecture: 586

Linux Installation:
SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23630 @ Mon Oct 20 19:52:55 PDT 2008 - Red Hat - EN - utf8
Perl Version: 5.10.0 i386-linux-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.0.51a
Platform Architecture: i686-linux

Any ideas?

I'll try also the CustomBrowse plugin mentionned by amcluesent, sounds like it might be good for me.

Thanks,
smessage

Vulcanbomber
2008-11-28, 07:03
there is definitely a bug, I just upgraded from a version 6 set up to version 7.2.1, Albums order definitely worked then
Now when I list by album order the list is not in Alphabetical order, it seems to sorting by any album that contains the letter A for example rather than by first letter. However if I sort by Genre and Album, they come up in right order

aubuti
2008-11-28, 07:50
You could possibly be running into a MySQL bug. I don't remember for sure, but I think that 5.0.51a is one of the versions affected. Do a search on these forums for MySQL sort bug and you'll probably find it. If that's the case, the best option is probably to upgrade the MySQL on your Fedora installation. And if there isn't a newer version, try a downgrade.

smessage
2008-11-28, 14:04
Hi aubuti,
Thanks for the help. This thread confirms the MySQL bug:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46537&highlight=MySQL+sort+bug

smessage