PDA

View Full Version : Incorrectly marked favourite: two albums with same name

JadeMonkee
2008-11-18, 06:56
Hello again,
In my music collection, I have (at least) two albums with the same name.
I favorited one, Grand Slam by Richard Dorfmeister vs. Madrid de los Austrias, and when I navigated to the favorites list in SC, it showed the album art for the album Grand Slam by Spiderbait.
When I clicked on it, it showed some search parameters that I don't remember and didn't note down, instead of showing the album tracks (I've since removed it from my favorites list, sorry).
Is there a better way for favorites to be handled?

Philip Meyer
2008-11-18, 10:41
Is there a better way for favorites to be handled?

I agree. I've mentioned the favorites handling of local music before. Essentially, SC stores the album name as an identifier for the favorite, rather than internal id's. So if you store a "Greatest Hits" album as a favorite, there's a good chance you won't get what you expect when you try to play that favorite back. eg. when you scan new albums in, you may affect an existing favorite.

I guess this was done, as a complete clear and rescan would result in new identifiers (eg. an album id).

The same issue can occur with artist names - there could be two artists with the same name. eg. "Blue October" is a Rock band from USA, but a UK band exists as the same name. "Nirvana" was another example. So you can't necessarily set an artist as a unique favorite too.

It's unlikely that two bands that share the same name also share the same album title, and that a user would want to set one as a favorite. I think therefore that the album artist name and the album name need to be referenced in the favorite to uniquely identify an album favorite. However, not even this is full-proof, in that there can be several albums with the same name by "Various Artists".

I too dislike that I can't drill down into a local music favorite. eg. set an album as a favorite - if I navigate to that favorite, I expect to be able to navigate into the album (eg. use right-arrow on a standard remote, or click the favorite name in the WebUI).to see the list of tracks.

JadeMonkee
2008-11-27, 15:47
I agree. I've mentioned the favorites handling of local music before. Essentially, SC stores the album name as an identifier for the favorite, rather than internal id's. So if you store a "Greatest Hits" album as a favorite, there's a good chance you won't get what you expect when you try to play that favorite back. eg. when you scan new albums in, you may affect an existing favorite.

I guess this was done, as a complete clear and rescan would result in new identifiers (eg. an album id).

The same issue can occur with artist names - there could be two artists with the same name. eg. "Blue October" is a Rock band from USA, but a UK band exists as the same name. "Nirvana" was another example. So you can't necessarily set an artist as a unique favorite too.

It's unlikely that two bands that share the same name also share the same album title, and that a user would want to set one as a favorite. I think therefore that the album artist name and the album name need to be referenced in the favorite to uniquely identify an album favorite. However, not even this is full-proof, in that there can be several albums with the same name by "Various Artists".

I agree, something needs to be thought up to combat this, and using two fields as an identifier seems a good start.

I too dislike that I can't drill down into a local music favorite. eg. set an album as a favorite - if I navigate to that favorite, I expect to be able to navigate into the album (eg. use right-arrow on a standard remote, or click the favorite name in the WebUI).to see the list of tracks.

I found this out this morning! Indeed, this should be implemented, too.

Philip Meyer
2008-12-09, 13:55
>I agree, something needs to be thought up to combat this, and using two
>fields as an identifier seems a good start.
>
I raised bug #10259 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10259) - please vote for it!

>> I too dislike that I can't drill down into a local music favorite.
>
>I found this out this morning! Indeed, this should be implemented, too.
>
I found existing enhancement #9671 for browsing favorites (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9671). Please vote!

Phil