PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 not working anymore

kzuiderveld
2008-11-17, 23:06
Hi,

I successfully ripped and played about 30 DTS and Dolby 5.1 tracks a few months ago. Worked flawless.

Alas, after an upgrade to the latest SqueezeCenter (7.2.1 - 23630 ReadyNAS) and the Squeezebox V3(firmware 113), my files are not recognized as 5.1 anymore; my receiver plays them in stereo mode, which of course gives only noise.

I checked the settings on the server and SB; the files are in "native" mode and volume control on SB is disabled.

does anyone have suggestions what caused the setup to stop working - and even better, ideas for a fix?

Thx, Karel

mherger
2008-11-18, 00:34
> Alas, after an upgrade to the latest SqueezeCenter (7.2.1 - 23630

What have you been using before?

Michael

bassoonde
2008-11-18, 02:28
How should that work? I thought that the Classic has only a stereo decoder for right and left channel.
Or could this happen with the SPDIF connector of the Classic and the stream will be cut through without changing it?

kzuiderveld
2008-11-18, 06:32
What have you been using before?

I think it was a 6.x version, the SlimDevices-branded version of the server. I don't know the firmware rev of SBV3 that I was using.

Sorry for the lack of information -but I'm stumped about this. It used to work fine!

kzuiderveld
2008-11-18, 06:34
How should that work? I thought that the Classic has only a stereo decoder for right and left channel.
Or could this happen with the SPDIF connector of the Classic and the stream will be cut through without changing it?

Yup, streams should be passed unchanged through the SPDIF connector. The fact that it does not work suggests that the stream is being changed; but the settings that might cause this to happen (volume control on SB, file settings on server) seem to be set correctly.

Mnyb
2008-11-18, 07:27
Replay gain would also affect this functionality check that RG is not used and remove RG tags from the files if they are applied by mistake by some other software.

Transcoding to lossy formats by mistake, check that bitrate limiting is not on etc.

SC has an uncanny ability to loose settings when uppgrading, better check them out.

Henk51
2008-11-18, 07:55
Hi,

I successfully ripped and played about 30 DTS and Dolby 5.1 tracks a few months ago. Worked flawless.

Alas, after an upgrade to the latest SqueezeCenter (7.2.1 - 23630 ReadyNAS) and the Squeezebox V3(firmware 113), my files are not recognized as 5.1 anymore; my receiver plays them in stereo mode, which of course gives only noise.

I checked the settings on the server and SB; the files are in "native" mode and volume control on SB is disabled.

does anyone have suggestions what caused the setup to stop working - and even better, ideas for a fix?

Thx, Karel

Maybe some -settings- are different in SC 7.2.1 against Slimserver 6.x
Read this Wiki-page (again) http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Play_DVD_Tracks
to enable/disable some settings.

bassoonde
2008-11-18, 12:34
Thank you for this info. I didn't know this. I searched a little and found this link to an swedish site. There is a possibility to download a few tracks for free.
http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/index.asp?ProgramID=2446

Mick Seymour
2008-11-18, 12:49
I searched a little and found this link to an swedish site. There is a possibility to download a few tracks for free.
http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/index.asp?ProgramID=2446

Swedish radio has been broadcasting DTS for around 5 years IIRC, perhaps longer. I've some demo music and comedy stuff burnt to CD from the early days which is of extremely high quality and the comedy is very funny in 5.1.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try some more of their DTS output.

kzuiderveld
2008-11-18, 15:06
Replay gain would also affect this functionality check that RG is not used and remove RG tags from the files if they are applied by mistake by some other software.

Transcoding to lossy formats by mistake, check that bitrate limiting is not on etc.

SC has an uncanny ability to loose settings when uppgrading, better check them out.

I can rule out any issue with the files resulting from dts-wav-flac conversion - the files used to work fine, so that's not the problem.

I found an issue: volume control was reported as enabled by the SqueezeServer and as disabled by the SB3 display. Changed that in the settings and it made a difference: rather than hearing "white" noise, I don't hear anything now. The receiver does not identify the stream...

I'm stumped - any more suggestions?

Henk51
2008-11-18, 17:32
I can rule out any issue with the files resulting from dts-wav-flac conversion - the files used to work fine, so that's not the problem.

I found an issue: volume control was reported as enabled by the SqueezeServer and as disabled by the SB3 display. Changed that in the settings and it made a difference: rather than hearing "white" noise, I don't hear anything now. The receiver does not identify the stream...

I'm stumped - any more suggestions?

I downloaded some Demo's (link above) and I got it playing (on my 5.1 Dolby/DTS Rec.) with SC7.3 , SB3 and Toslink output.
But only WITH max. volume setting's in SC.

Mnyb
2008-11-18, 22:23
Henk51 that is the expected outcome.

I will try myself tonight (or this weekend), i've had it working with my old server and old SS/SC I want to verify that it's still ok.

Then it's possible to compare settings for our SB3's with the op of this tread.

In one upgrade i did in 7.x the "fixed volume" setting disappeared and the volume was set to some arbitrary value in the middle.

Also be aware of the fact that fixed volume is now for both analog and digital output

bassoonde
2008-11-19, 03:56
I also found this thread. In Post #4 there are a few presettings named:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53634&highlight=5.1

Mick Seymour
2008-11-19, 07:42
I have this working on my SB3 firmware 113 and SC 7.2.1 under Redhat Linux, via optical to my surround processor.

For comparison purposes, here are my SC settings under Player > Audio. Those relevant to streaming DTS from a flac file are marked with an *:

Power On Resume: "Pause at power off / Remain paused at power on"

Turn Off Audio: "Outputs always on"

* Crossfade: "None"

Smart Crossfade: "Enable Smart Crossfade"

Crossfade duration: "10"

* Volume Control: "Output level is fixed at 100%"

Preamp Volume Control: "0"

Audio Startup Time: "0"

* Bitrate Limiting: "No Limit"

LAME Quality Level: "9" (Poor Quality but fast)

* Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain: "No Volume Adjustment"

MP3 Streaming Method: "Direct Streaming"

Under Advanced > File Types for flac file format conversion I have:

FLAC FLAC "Native"

FLAC WAV "flac"

I just set this up today and it worked first time. The only oddity is that using the remote the SB3 volume control graphic does slide up and down but the volume from the SB3 doesn't change.

kzuiderveld
2008-11-19, 08:44
For comparison purposes, here are my SC settings under Player > Audio. Those relevant to streaming DTS from a flac file are marked with an *:

Mike, thanks for posting your settings. My settings were identical!

Alas, my receiver does not play the 5.1 stream....

Mick Seymour
2008-11-19, 08:52
Alas, my receiver does not play the 5.1 stream....

It may seem a daft idea but have you checked the settings for the input you are using on your surround processor? If they look OK then maybe plug a DVD player into that input and see if it is working properly.

kzuiderveld
2008-11-19, 09:50
It may seem a daft idea but have you checked the settings for the input you are using on your surround processor? If they look OK then maybe plug a DVD player into that input and see if it is working properly.

1) I can play MP3s fine via the receiver. I am using the digital coax. So at least the SqueezeBox is plugged i correctly via a working input.
2) I did not change the connections - it used to work fine. As I updated the software on the server and SB, it should be a software rather than a hardware issue.

Mnyb
2008-11-19, 11:14
Well i got it to work with one of SR's wav files good.

Now my settings for the SB3 i use in my HT:

Audio

Power On Resume: "Pause at power off / Remain paused at power on"

Turn Off Audio: "Outputs always on"

Crossfade: "None"

Smart Crossfade: "Enable Smart Crossfade"

Crossfade duration: "0"

Volume Control: "Output level is fixed at 100%"

Preamp Volume Control: "63"

Audio Startup Time: "0"

Bitrate Limiting: "no limit"

LAME Quality Level: "0 highest level very slow"

Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain: "No Volume Adjustment"

MP3 Streaming Method: "Direct Streaming"

And my file format settings:

FLAC FLAC "native"
MP3 "flac/lame"
WAV "flac"

WAV FLAC "flac"
MP3 "Disabled"
WAV "Disabled"

I'm on Version: 7.3 - 23952 @ Tue Nov 18 03:45:12 PST 2008

kzuiderveld
2008-11-19, 15:47
As I expected a software issue, I attempted to downgrade my ReadyNAS to SlimServer 6.5.4. While the log indicated that the package was installed successfully, I could not reach the admin page anymore (via the :9000 address).

I therefore reverted to 7.2.1 - and that version is now broken too. I can't reach the admin page anymore. The SB3 does not find the SqueezeCenter anymore either. The ReadyNAS setup reports though that everything is OK.

Darn, I wished that I resisted the temptation to upgrade while everything was working OK - now NOTHING works anymore and I have no clue how to fix it.