PDA

View Full Version : Unusual request? filter my music for lossless format?

lreinstein
2008-11-16, 08:00
I am using the Apple Time Capsule as my "music server" and it is working out fairly well. I rip my music with iTunes into apple lossless (ALAC) but also have older files, AAC files and conversions of the ALAC files into smaller 128Kbps formats to sync my IPODS. This seems to work pretty well since I can sync to specific playlists I have made for the IPOD music. It is labor intensive but it works and I have low patience for learning new music software other than iTunes.

HERE IS MY PROBLEM/QUESTION: I use SB3 as a source for my high quality music system in my home. I have pointed the Squeezecenter directly to my music files and have scanned all my music on the Time Capsule. (I stopped using the iTunes TAB but have it scan the music library directly each night). HOWEVER, when I select an album to play, it has duplicate copies in the 2 formats ...the ALAC and the AAC or MPEG. Thus when I play an album it repeats the songs and this is annoying.

Is there any way to tell SC to only play one format, or filter out lower bit rates? Or even to sort by the "kind" of format?

Any other ideas ?

thanks so much.

Larry

toby10
2008-11-16, 08:04
I am using the Apple Time Capsule as my "music server" and it is working out fairly well. I rip my music with iTunes into apple lossless (ALAC) but also have older files, AAC files and conversions of the ALAC files into smaller 128Kbps formats to sync my IPODS. This seems to work pretty well since I can sync to specific playlists I have made for the IPOD music. It is labor intensive but it works and I have low patience for learning new music software other than iTunes.

HERE IS MY PROBLEM/QUESTION: I use SB3 as a source for my high quality music system in my home. I have pointed the Squeezecenter directly to my music files and have scanned all my music on the Time Capsule. (I stopped using the iTunes TAB but have it scan the music library directly each night). HOWEVER, when I select an album to play, it has duplicate copies in the 2 formats ...the ALAC and the AAC or MPEG. Thus when I play an album it repeats the songs and this is annoying.

Is there any way to tell SC to only play one format, or filter out lower bit rates? Or even to sort by the "kind" of format?

Any other ideas ?

thanks so much.

Larry

When you are doing the conversion to 128k why not just set it up so those 128k files are saved in a different folder (not scanned by SC)?
SC folder = lossless
iPod folder = 128k

peter
2008-11-16, 09:08
lreinstein wrote:
> I am using the Apple Time Capsule as my "music server" and it is working
> out fairly well. I rip my music with iTunes into apple lossless (ALAC)
> but also have older files, AAC files and conversions of the ALAC files
> into smaller 128Kbps formats to sync my IPODS. This seems to work
> pretty well since I can sync to specific playlists I have made for the
> IPOD music. It is labor intensive but it works and I have low patience
> for learning new music software other than iTunes.
>
> HERE IS MY PROBLEM/QUESTION: I use SB3 as a source for my high
> quality music system in my home. I have pointed the Squeezecenter
> directly to my music files and have scanned all my music on the Time
> Capsule. (I stopped using the iTunes TAB but have it scan the music
> library directly each night). HOWEVER, when I select an album to
> play, it has duplicate copies in the 2 formats ...the ALAC and the AAC
> or MPEG. Thus when I play an album it repeats the songs and this is
> annoying.
>
> Is there any way to tell SC to only play one format, or filter out
> lower bit rates? Or even to sort by the "kind" of format?
>
> Any other ideas ?
>

This is not an unusual request at all. I think SC should have a way to
add 'control' files to directory that contain instructions to override
tags, ignore certain filetypes end ignore whole directory trees.

That would add a lot of flexibility in maintaining a music library.

Regards,
Peter

MeSue
2008-11-16, 10:09

I've never used it, but wouldn't this be covered by Settings > Advanced > File Types?

Disabled Audio File Extensions
SqueezeCenter will look in the Music Folder for all supported file types (audio files and cue sheets). To disable specific file types from being processed when scanning the Music Folder, enter a comma separated list of file extensions below. E.g.: cue, mp4, aac

lreinstein
2008-11-16, 15:26
When you are doing the conversion to 128k why not just set it up so those 128k files are saved in a different folder (not scanned by SC)?
SC folder = lossless
iPod folder = 128k

i dont know if you can rip specific CDs to a different file location. there seems to be only 1 music folder location for the itunes i run on my computer.

larry

agillis
2008-11-16, 20:21
The easiest way would be to store the files in two locations. This is what we do on VortexBox all files are stored in the Music folder but mp3 files are in music/mp3 and FLACs are in music/FlAC. Does itunes let you have different sub folders?

Your other option is to do what MeSue says. Go to Settings > Advanced > File Types and select files you don't want to index in SC.

lreinstein
2008-11-16, 20:21
I've never used it, but wouldn't this be covered by Settings > Advanced > File Types?

i tried your idea. i put the following comma separated list under file types to disable.

mp3, mp4, aac

i then rescanned the music file.

however, the AAC music files still appeared along with the duplicate ALAC's. the file type for these were listed as AAC or Movie File.

ANY IDEA WHY THIS FILTER DID NOT WORK??

LARRY

lreinstein
2008-11-16, 21:24
I am confused.

I just looked at my music files (on the MAC) and saw that music that i ripped as ALAC and as AAC both had files with m4a extensions, ... only the ALAC was much larger files. They also both say MPEG-4. I think i am out of my depth and do not understand this at all.

moley6knipe
2008-11-17, 04:57
The .m4a extension is indeed the same for AAC and Apple Lossless files, as both audio formats are "wrapped" in an MPEG-4 container. I, too, have no idea what that means ;-)

What are you running iTunes / SC on; Mac or PC?

Either way, it's possible to use iTunes to manage two or more libraries. On a PC, when you double-click to run iTunes, hold down your shift key. That'll get you a dialogue box, and from there you can create a new iTunes library, complete with its own folder structure.

Then use one of these libraries for your iPod stuff, and another for your SC stuff. Tell SC the loaction of the iTunes .lib file that manages your Lossless stuff and you're good, everything's filtered.

I find that having to remember which stuff to add to which iTunes lib is a pain if I decide to blow the libraries away and start again, so i'd recommend that you think about moving SC stuff into its own folder structure, and your iPod stuff into another.

eg here's mine...

M:\Music\iPod\ contains my iPod only iTunes library files, and M:\Music\iPod\iTunes Music contains all my mp3 and aac stuff

M:\Music\SqueezeCenter\ contains my SqueezeCenter only iTunes library files, and M:\Music\iPod\iTunes Music contains all my Apple Lossless stuff

..if you're running on a Mac, Google Doug's applescripts - there's a nice one that lets you switch libs from within iTunes itself.

EDIT: ah, you're on a mac. Even easier for you, no holding down Shift or whatever that's called on a Mac ;-)

lreinstein
2008-11-17, 05:12
Thanks,
good idea.

how do i access other library on a MAC if i do NOT add applescript?

Also-- since the music is already ripped to this one file, both versions (ALAC and AAC) are in the same folder. And, I dont know how to sort these out using MAC OSC. It is easy in iTunes to sort on "kind" but then how is it possible to move files to another folder from within iTunes?

Larry

moley6knipe
2008-11-17, 10:33
> how do i access other library on a MAC if i do NOT add applescript?

Don't know, sorry. Would imagine there is a way - p'raps try holding down the apple key when you open iTunes - must be able to find this by Googling, I'd think?

> Also-- since the music is already ripped to this one file, both versions (ALAC and AAC) are in the same folder. And, I dont know how to sort these out using MAC OSC. It is easy in iTunes to sort on "kind" but then how is it possible to move files to another folder from within iTunes?

Well you could sort by kind in itunes and note down the file/folder locations, but that would be a colossal pain. If you were using Windows a really god tagging application like www.mp3tag.de/en would do it programatically; perhaps you could look for an app for the Mac that would do likewise? you'd need something that would let you sort and move your files by "Codec" or "bit rate" or similar.

Manually, you could sort each folder by size - that (should) list all the aac and all the alac stuff in two clumps per folder, I would think?

Sorry, not a Mac expert by any means. try posting about this problem in the ripping / transcoding etc forum - you might get more exposure there.

DaveWr
2008-11-17, 10:58
Hi

I do exactly what you want. On a mac you start iTunes whilst holding down the Option Key (Next to the Apple Key). This will open a dialogue box select library. I have two libraries, Lossless and iPOD. When I rip with iTunes or XLD (which is a bit like EAC for Macs) - I put the lossless file into the lossless library. I then select the new files in a playlist called Export. In iTunes you can export this playlist, remember to select xml format as the save option. Close iTunes - reopen with the Option Key again selecting the iPod library. Check iPod library has import options set to your required AAC selection type, ensure 'copy music to library' is set, and 'organise library' is set. Then go to library and Import Playlist. This will complete the import of your files into iPod library.

If you are doing this regularly, then it is easier to use Doug's scripts or build you own script.

I hope this helps. I only do this on a batch basis every month - if I have added music.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Dave

DaveWr
2008-11-17, 11:09
Further to my last post - I used to use a single library for the family iPod collection plus Squeezecenter. I used the scan for only checked music in iTunes feature of Squeezecenter.

In iTunes you can sort by Size to get the AAC compressed files. Select these and copy to a playlist Compressed. Then go into the playlist and deselect all the tick marks (I think its column 1) by control + click on an entry or shift + click. This clears of adds all check marks (sorry on business overseas so cannot check currently).

This will deselect all you iPod music, then Squeezecenter will only use the checked items. This is a little tedious long term, two libraries is slightly more time, but if you use / change iPod music frequently easier, keeping everything correct without full Squeezecenter rescans is a little tricky.

Regards

Dave

lreinstein
2008-11-17, 20:27
Further to my last post - I used to use a single library for the family iPod collection plus Squeezecenter. I used the scan for only checked music in iTunes feature of Squeezecenter.

In iTunes you can sort by Size to get the AAC compressed files. Select these and copy to a playlist Compressed. Then go into the playlist and deselect all the tick marks (I think its column 1) by control + click on an entry or shift + click. This clears of adds all check marks (sorry on business overseas so cannot check currently).

This will deselect all you iPod music, then Squeezecenter will only use the checked items. This is a little tedious long term, two libraries is slightly more time, but if you use / change iPod music frequently easier, keeping everything correct without full Squeezecenter rescans is a little tricky.

Regards

Dave

Dave

These are both clever ideas. Thanks. I think using the check boxes idea might be easier for now than recopying files. I will give it a try.

moley6knipe
2008-11-18, 00:42
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38060&highlight=itunes+checked

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050518171817177

...you may find it helpful to have a playlist containing only unchecked songs, ofr syncing to your ipod, you see...

lreinstein
2009-03-16, 19:00
recently i had to rescan my entire music library. i am using itunes for organizing my music. i selected "dont include unchecked items" from the itunes menu .... but it seems to now include my checked and unchecked.

this used to work. any idea what i could be doing wrong?

DaveWr
2009-03-17, 01:36
Sorry duplicated previous info.

I use the technique with the tickboxes. I'll check if it's still working properly later today.

Dave

DaveWr
2009-03-17, 08:42
I checked the ticked songs issue with additions and deletions.

It works OK. I did have an issue some time ago, where on the iTunes set up tab, the library.xml pointer wasn't correctly set up to point to my external drive xml file.

So my set up is:

Basic Settings Tab: Music Folder is BLANK.

iTunes Tab:
Use iTunes: TICKED, Don't include unchecked songs (double negative strange??), iTunes Music Library.xml location: /Volumes/Main/MusicHouse/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml,
iTunes Music Folder: /Volumes/Main/MusicHouse/iTunes/iTunes Music

Where Main is external drive, MusicHouse/iTunes is the iTunes top level folder on the external drive.

I hope this helps

Dave