PDA

View Full Version : Question about remotes SB1/SB2/boom

bitjockey
2008-11-15, 17:12
I just recently jumped on the Squeezebox bandwagon, bought 2 Duets and a Boom, extremely impressed with these.

I also purchased 2 older SBGs on eBay for less critical applications and alas they didn't come with remote controls. Upon power up, they prompt me to press "->" but obviously I can't.

I programmed my Harmony 880 for "Squeezebox", noting that there were several choices for Squeezebox models in the setup, but I can't get the Harmony to control the SBG. I noticed that this same Harmony will now control my Boom, so one or more of the below must be true:

- the IR codes the same across the SB1/SBG/SB2/...Boom product range. If anyone has an SB1/SBG and a Boom, I am hoping you can confirm this for me.

- the Harmony listing for "Squeezebox" device refers to newer Squeezeboxes, but not my SB1/SBG. Has anyone out there used a Harmony to control an SB1/SBG?

- the SBGs I bought have defective IR receivers (hard to imagine both would be)

Thoughts/advice appreciated.

peterw
2008-11-15, 17:19
There is a standard Slim Devices IR codeset. All IR-equipped Squeezeboxes respond to that codeset for the firmware operations (hold left to get setup, etc.). Once a Squeezebox is configured, SqueezeCenter by default will also accept a JVC DVD codeset for operation. The Boom's mini remote should work fine for configuring the older SBGs if the Harmony for some reason is really sending JVC DVD codes.

peterw
2008-11-15, 17:25
My SBG is packed away, but I just confirmed that the Boom mini remote sends Slim codes (by configuring SC7 to only respond to Slim codes for an SB2 -- the Boom remote can do normal stuff and navigate the setup screens). I hope everything turns out OK for you -- the notion of both having bad IR does seem too weird.

bitjockey
2008-11-15, 18:34
My SBG is packed away, but I just confirmed that the Boom mini remote sends Slim codes (by configuring SC7 to only respond to Slim codes for an SB2 -- the Boom remote can do normal stuff and navigate the setup screens). I hope everything turns out OK for you -- the notion of both having bad IR does seem too weird.

Thanks for your info...my Boom remote does not work on the SBGs...maybe I bought some rejects. One appears to be config'd for wireless, displays a network name but can't connect, and hangs there. The other one doesn't display the wireless search info, but informs that it can't find SlimServer, and after some delay reboots...is that normal? If I connect them to wired Ethernet, I don't see a DHCP request from their MAC addresses, but it may be that they were config'd with static addresses.

danco
2008-11-16, 09:42
Thanks for your info...my Boom remote does not work on the SBGs...maybe I bought some rejects. One appears to be config'd for wireless, displays a network name but can't connect, and hangs there. The other one doesn't display the wireless search info, but informs that it can't find SlimServer, and after some delay reboots...is that normal? .

Is the password correct? What kind of network, what kind of encryption?

I think there were some changes at various times (802.11b to 802.11g or b, WEP only to WEP or WPA), so your SB1/SBG might not work on your network as currently set. Sorry, I can't recall details of what changed and when.

bitjockey
2008-11-16, 16:11
Is the password correct? What kind of network, what kind of encryption?

Since I bought them used, no idea what the password is, nor the encryption. I won't be using wireless anyways, since I have hardwired Ethernet in every room.

Now exploring Geekport to see if I can change setup with it. I also see 2 3-pin IR connectors, one on the main board and one on the display board. Hate to have to toss these in the trash :-(

Jonnio
2008-11-16, 16:21
I would just download the UDAP configuration tool that people use to get their SBRs up and running without a remote. That should get you up and running.

bitjockey
2008-11-16, 16:32
I would just download the UDAP configuration tool that people use to get their SBRs up and running without a remote. That should get you up and running.

Had a quick look at UDAP...seems to be only for SBRs...will it work with SBGs (sorry, still very much an SB noob, it's only been 2 weeks)

jth
2008-11-16, 17:01
You can get a remote from slimdevices for $30. I would imagine that the
Harmony Squeezebox codes would work fine, as the remotes for my
SLIMP3/SB1G/SB3's are all interchangeable.

bitjockey
2008-11-16, 20:05
You can get a remote from slimdevices for $30. I would imagine that the
Harmony Squeezebox codes would work fine, as the remotes for my
SLIMP3/SB1G/SB3's are all interchangeable.

Thanks, yes, this is the best option, even so that means throwing more $$ at the SBGs which may be defective....

danco
2008-11-17, 00:36
OK, you've just said that you bought it used, configured for the previous user's system.

And you haven't reset the configuration at all, from what I read.

In that case, you wouldn't expect it to work.

Press AND HOLD the power button on the remote, and you will get into the setup process.

You could (for extra protection, but I don't think it is necessary) actually revert to factory defaults. Unplug the power supply, and plug it back in while holding down the Add button on the remote.

mherger
2008-11-17, 01:06
> Had a quick look at UDAP...seems to be only for SBRs...will it work
> with SBGs (sorry, still very much an SB noob, it's only been 2 weeks)

Correct. You won't be able to configure an SB1 with that tool.

Michael