PDA

View Full Version : radio takes long time to connect.

Honva
2008-11-15, 00:01
Since I upgraded to the stable release of SC 7.2.1, internet radio takes a long time to connect. After hitting play, it takes ~45s before there is audio output. (Previously only takes 15-20s). My SC is running on Ubuntu 8.04.1 with Alien BBC v2.2b1. Device is Squeezebox 3.

Looking at the log, I am getting these errors:
[08-11-14 23:59:29.4897] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1398) Warning: [23:59:29.4885] Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Squeezebox.pm line 1215.
[08-11-15 00:07:57.3452] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand (311) Error: Didn't find any command matches for type: asx format: mp3
[08-11-15 00:07:57.3806] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand (311) Error: Didn't find any command matches for type: asx format: mp3

My setting is having SC to do transcoding of wma to wav. Once the stream starts to play, it plays as usual with no problem. Just a long wait before it starts.

It would be great if someone could help.

bpa
2008-11-15, 00:33
Why are you making SC do WMA to WAV when SB3 can decode WMA direct ?
Internet Radio WMA stream is compressed already - there will be no audio quality issue.

There will be double amount of buffering once by mplayer and then by SC especially if station has a low bit rate. THis will add to delays (e.g. 64kbit/sec streams will take about 10-20 secs within mplayer). Other possibility is odd protocol setting of station which takes mplayer a long time to determine.

What stations are you playing so that others can test ?

Honva
2008-11-15, 09:08
Why are you making SC do WMA to WAV when SB3 can decode WMA direct ?
Internet Radio WMA stream is compressed already - there will be no audio quality issue.

There will be double amount of buffering once by mplayer and then by SC especially if station has a low bit rate. THis will add to delays (e.g. 64kbit/sec streams will take about 10-20 secs within mplayer). Other possibility is odd protocol setting of station which takes mplayer a long time to determine.

What stations are you playing so that others can test ?

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I made SC to do the transcode to wav is not because of quality. Just that one of the station I listen to used the video header format in their stream which SB3 will not connect. Only mplayer will transcode and connect.

I understands that it will take longer for buffering but it was always the case before. Don't know why it suddenly takes 20s more than before. Also, the error log is alerting.

It happened to all the stations. Here is one of them. It used to take ~20s to connect but now takes double the amount of time (40-45s)
http://www.rthk.org.hk/live2.asx

Thanks.