PDA

View Full Version : Sync or internet radio

svyse
2008-11-14, 17:11
Anyone had problems sync ing two recivers on internet radio. Audio files work just fine and both receivers are set to sync.

Thanks

funkstar
2008-11-14, 17:25
If the players are connected to SqueezeNetwork, or set to Direct Streaming (the defualt) they probably won't sync because they are pulling two sets of data from the broadcaster, and these data streams can be out of sync.

In SqueezeCenter go to Settings -> Player -> audio -> MP3 Streaming Method and chang eit to Proxied Streaming for each player. I believe this should let you sync radio streams.

autopilot
2008-11-15, 05:04
What are downsides to proxied steaming? im a bit unsure to exactly how this works.

Furry
2008-11-15, 05:13
I've found that when two (or more) players set for 'Direct Streaming' are hosted on Squeezecenter, then they are sync'ed for streaming of internet radio stations. I'm guessing that this is actually 'proxied' then by SC anyway? So, in this case, what would setting each player for 'Proxied Streaming' achieve?

I've also found that when two (or more) players set for 'Direct Streaming' are instead hosted on Squeezenetwork, i.e. 'bypassing' SC, then they're not sync'ed (unsurprisingly). In this case, would the 'Proxied Streaming' player setting then 'fix' this, i.e. sync them? If so, then how - does this effectively just host them on SC too and depend on SC to sync? Or is there some other method?

Explanation / de-confusion by someone who knows would be appreciated!

svyse
2008-11-15, 08:37
Thanks - The proxy setting worked great. Actually the informatin tab has a pretty good description if you took the "MP3" out and used "any external stream".

Thanks again

Juerg
2008-11-16, 12:37
So where is the proxy? Is this on the PC and I have to run the PC to listen to synched radio stations on 2 receivers?

funkstar
2008-11-17, 03:00
So where is the proxy? Is this on the PC and I have to run the PC to listen to synched radio stations on 2 receivers?
Basically yes.

It is possible that some radio feeds will be in sync when directly connecting, but this isn't guaranteed. There are a lot of factors that will effect this.

When using SqueezeCenter with proxied streaming, the PC requests just one stream from the broadcaster then sends this to all the client players. Because SqueezeCenter has control over the players it is able to keep them in sync for the radio stream as well.

autopilot
2008-11-17, 03:13
Basically yes.

It is possible that some radio feeds will be in sync when directly connecting, but this isn't guaranteed. There are a lot of factors that will effect this.

When using SqueezeCenter with proxied streaming, the PC requests just one stream from the broadcaster then sends this to all the client players. Because SqueezeCenter has control over the players it is able to keep them in sync for the radio stream as well.

So proxied streaming seems like a much better way to do it - any idea why it's not the default?

funkstar
2008-11-17, 03:22
So proxied streaming seems like a much better way to do it - any idea why it's not the default?
Nope :)

But I guess one of the devs may have something to add here.