Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liffy99
    • Oct 2006

Wireless signal drops to 0

I've run a wireless signal strength chack on both of my SB3s and the signal generally sits between 55 and 75%. However, every few seconds (not entirely periodic) the strength drops to 0 for a second or so, then returns to normal. I don't lose the connection (although one SB3 seems to be unable to reconnect if I've not used it for a day or two without me re-setting the wireless router - it just won't connect to a wireless network).

I've run Netstumbler on the PC to check the Philips router and the "Speed" column shows 54mps, but again, drops to 0 every few seconds. I'm not really sure how to interpret Netstumbler so I'm not sure what the speed clumn actually shows (I would be surprised if the 54mps was actual speed).

Is this normal ?

I ask as a handful of FLAC files seem to stutter on playback and the kitchen SB3 (see above) often refuses to reconnect.

Thanks
  • toby10
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by liffy99
    I've run a wireless signal strength chack on both of my SB3s and the signal generally sits between 55 and 75%. However, every few seconds (not entirely periodic) the strength drops to 0 for a second or so, then returns to normal. I don't lose the connection (although one SB3 seems to be unable to reconnect if I've not used it for a day or two without me re-setting the wireless router - it just won't connect to a wireless network).

I've run Netstumbler on the PC to check the Philips router and the "Speed" column shows 54mps, but again, drops to 0 every few seconds. I'm not really sure how to interpret Netstumbler so I'm not sure what the speed clumn actually shows (I would be surprised if the 54mps was actual speed).

Is this normal ?

I ask as a handful of FLAC files seem to stutter on playback and the kitchen SB3 (see above) often refuses to reconnect.

Thanks
    NetStumbler may be simply giving the max rating speed of that 54mps network, it may not be giving the actual speed. But I'm not sure.

Using NetStumbler see what channels are showing as strong signals near you. Your WiFi may be competing with another near by network for the same channel. Channels are 1 to 11, 6 being the most popular as the mfgr default channel. Just changing your channel to a different non-competing channel can solve many WiFi issues and even give you a signal boost, usually changing to ch 1 or ch 11 works best.

Comment

Working...