PDA

View Full Version : A quick way to rip, tag, cover art, and serve your files.

agillis
2008-11-13, 20:17
I wanted to be able to quickly rip, tag, and get the cover art for my CD collection so I could use it with my SB3. I have about 300 CDs so it seemed like a big job. I decided to build a Linux box from an old Windows PC and use it to serve the music files to my network. I set it up so that when you insert the CD the box automatically rips it, ID3tags the songs, and downloads the cover art. I have been using this system in my living room for about 6 months and it has been working well.

One of my friends wanted to a server too so I built him one. Then my friend across the country wanted an auto-ripping NAS with SqueezeCenter on it. I build him an auto install ISO so he could load it on his own PC without me. He told me I should release the ISO other users. I have seen a lot of posts on this forum from people looking for any easy way to rip their CD collection.

So I thought up a cool name and released it on a small website. Now I want to know if anybody is interested. It seems like something everybody would want. But Iím not sure people want another box running all the time in their house. Is anybody interested in Beta testing this for me?

I call it VortexBox (my friend came up with the name) itís based in Fedora 9 (Linux). You burn the CD and boot your old PC with it. The ISO formats the hard drive and installs itself. You then have a box with SqueezeCenter, Samba (file sharing), and Lame. It watches the CD-ROM and when you insert a CD it rips it as an MP3 and a FLAC file. VortexBox uses the FLAC files for SqueezeCenter and serves the MP3 files out over the network for your MP3 players.

Please respond to this post. Iím very interested in your feedback on this.
You can download the ISO from http://vortexbox.org

Mnyb
2008-11-13, 22:50
Good idea, i think this will be popular, i visited your site.
You should probably do some documentation otherwise you will be swamped with questions :-)
Otherwise nice initiative, good work.

I get you some Q's to start with:

*does vortexbox run fedora with or without any GUI (like gnome or similar )

*is there any interface for remote admin http or remote desktop or both, meaning one wants to run these things headless.
(I'm using an ClarkConect box myself with an https interface for admin task like network config firewalls and much more).

*Give us an idea on suitable hardware and also what will not work

*There would be good to also share the FLAC dir over smb, so people easily could put there old files and downloads on to the vortexbox

*Explain a bit on how you get tags and cover art, some SqueezeBox user's are completely obsessed with the quality of their tags, which tag field's do you use and how do you get cover art.

*Do you initiate a rescan in SqueezeCenter after every ripped disc.

*How do you upgrade SqueezeCenter on the vortexbox fedora is related to redhat ? can one use the same simple method as in an clarkconect install . you ssh to your server stop SC and, rpm -Uvh <link to the latest SC rpm package> and restart.

*which SC version is in the installer ( suggestion. 7.2.1).

*The mp3's you are encoding is there an easy way for the user to set bitrate.

And now some suggestions:

*make the installer install the AlienBBC plugin and and mplayer and the other things this plugin needs to work properly on a linux box (if supported by 7.2.1 otherwise wait untill it is) this will help linux n00bs who want's this plugin.

*set up a little donation thingy on your website you deserve at least a little beer money for doing so much work for the comunity

agillis
2008-11-13, 23:14
Thanks for your questions. I will get some more documentation on the site as I have time. Here are the answers to your questions. Maybe Iíll add some of these to a FAQ on my site.

1. No there is no Xwindows GUI on VortexBox itís all done through the web interface. I may add one if people are interested.

2. If you connect to it with a browser you get a minimal interface and the SC interface.

3. Itís Linux so it should run on almost any PC hardware from the past 10 years.

4. I have the FLAC and MP3 files shared by default on read only shares. That way the kids donít delete my files. There is also a writable share if you want or add or edit files or if you want to use VortexBox as a general file server.

5. Iím pulling the tags from CDDB I have almost 200 CDs on my VortexBox so far and the data seems good. Of course some people will still want to edit them.

6. Yes a rescan is auto-started after every rip.

7. Fedora is RPM based. You can use yum to update. For example ďyum update SqueezeCenterĒ from command line would update to the latest version.

8. Yes VortexBox comes preloaded with 7.2.1

I have been trying to figure out the best way to add plugins. I could have a web interface that adds them. Or I could just include a bunch of popular ones.

Donation button! Good idea I guess I could get a few bucks for my work. Although I think Iím like most of you and I do this for enjoyment :)

Secret Squirrel
2008-11-14, 06:47
Thanks for your questions. I will get some more documentation on the site as I have time. Here are the answers to your questions. Maybe Iíll add some of these to a FAQ on my site.

1. No there is no Xwindows GUI on VortexBox itís all done through the web interface. I may add one if people are interested.

2. If you connect to it with a browser you get a minimal interface and the SC interface.

3. Itís Linux so it should run on almost any PC hardware from the past 10 years.

4. I have the FLAC and MP3 files shared by default on read only shares. That way the kids donít delete my files. There is also a writable share if you want or add or edit files or if you want to use VortexBox as a general file server.

5. Iím pulling the tags from CDDB I have almost 200 CDs on my VortexBox so far and the data seems good. Of course some people will still want to edit them.

6. Yes a rescan is auto-started after every rip.

7. Fedora is RPM based. You can use yum to update. For example ďyum update SqueezeCenterĒ from command line would update to the latest version.

8. Yes VortexBox comes preloaded with 7.2.1

I have been trying to figure out the best way to add plugins. I could have a web interface that adds them. Or I could just include a bunch of popular ones.

Donation button! Good idea I guess I could get a few bucks for my work. Although I think Iím like most of you and I do this for enjoyment :)

I've had an old 766/1 GB box sitting in my office waiting for me to set it up as a stand-alone, always-on Squeeze server. I'm willing to give it some testing from the perspective of a Linux newbie. I'll load up some of my CD's, copy some of my existing library, and generally "kick the tires" if you'd like, but as a warning my testing time is limited at the moment with completing construction in my basement for Thanksgiving (an extra guest room & bath) though I should make that "dead line" (& I'm the one who'll be dead idf I miss it ;)

SS

agillis
2008-11-14, 10:15
VortexBox should work well on that system. It takes about 15 minutes from the time you boot the CD untill you can start ripping CDs. So it shouldn't take you too long to test VortexBox. Post back to this thread and tell me how it goes.

Furry
2008-11-15, 05:34
This is a good idea (I'm downloading your .iso as I type, to try it out!), however I would want a little less because I already have SC v7.2.1 (and other things) running on a Fedora Core box.

I'd like an app that I can additionally install on the FC box that allows me to bung in a CD and have everything happen automatically from thereonin.

I'd like it to put the files into a default folder of my choosing, on another NAS box on my network (QNAP TS-101 as it happens). I like the idea of it doing both mp3 and flac - I'd like it to allow setup of two different default locations for these.

Apesbrain
2008-11-15, 10:02
Very cool! About the only thing I otherwise do when ripping is to apply ReplayGain (album gain and track gain) values to the tracks. Is that something you'd consider adding to a future release? Thanks.

Jonnio
2008-11-15, 10:22
Very cool idea - I would be interested in it, but I already have an up and running Ubuntu server that I don't want to reformat as it is all configured how I want with addons etc... If you could make it a package that I could install I would be happy to tinker with it.

klgray
2008-11-16, 00:36
I agree, this is quite cool. I've installed it on the candidate box (an MSI Wind box) that will probably replace my current SC box. I'll probably be installing Midnight Commander on it. The only oddness I've noticed so far is the virtual consoles don't seem to be respawning upon exit. Has anyone else seen this?

agillis
2008-11-16, 20:09
I'll look into adding some of these features. If you find any bugs please post them to the forum on the vortexbox.org site so I have them all in one place. Thanks again for your feedback.

agillis
2008-11-17, 11:03
At the request of a few users I have added a VortexBox quick install guide the my site.

http://vortexbox.org/documentation/vortexbox-quick-install-guide/