PDA

View Full Version : My Internet Radio/Favorites are Possessed!

84tiger
2008-11-13, 14:41
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this but I'll try here first. I'm the happy owner of two SB3's and have had no issues up to this point. I'm running the latest version of Squeezecenter on my home Windows XP PC with a strong wireless network (player one over 90% strength, player two 75-80%) with my music in flac on an external WD hard drive. No issues at all streaming any of my ripped music.

My problem is with the behavior of internet radio and stations that I have saved in my favorites (all are from RadioIO or Shoutcast). I have had several instances where stations that previously worked now give me the "playlist not found" message or an error 503. I think this has been discussed before to some extent - are the providers changing something in the station id's so I can no longer access them from favorites or is this an issue with 7.2.1 (I think I had some of this before 7.2.1 so that's likely not the problem)?

Lately the problems are more bizarre - yesterday I tried to access my saved radio stations from favorites and the list had pretty much completely changed - I mean missing stations (from something like 18 down to 12)and new station names that I don't recognize and I know I had never saved in my favorites. To state the obvious no one else has access to my system. Is my system possessed!? What the heck is going on?

toby10
2008-11-13, 15:25
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this but I'll try here first. I'm the happy owner of two SB3's and have had no issues up to this point. I'm running the latest version of Squeezecenter on my home Windows XP PC with a strong wireless network (player one over 90% strength, player two 75-80%) with my music in flac on an external WD hard drive. No issues at all streaming any of my ripped music.

My problem is with the behavior of internet radio and stations that I have saved in my favorites (all are from RadioIO or Shoutcast). I have had several instances where stations that previously worked now give me the "playlist not found" message or an error 503. I think this has been discussed before to some extent - are the providers changing something in the station id's so I can no longer access them from favorites or is this an issue with 7.2.1 (I think I had some of this before 7.2.1 so that's likely not the problem)?

Lately the problems are more bizarre - yesterday I tried to access my saved radio stations from favorites and the list had pretty much completely changed - I mean missing stations (from something like 18 down to 12)and new station names that I don't recognize and I know I had never saved in my favorites. To state the obvious no one else has access to my system. Is my system possessed!? What the heck is going on?

Is this problem happening using SN or SC? I know ShoutCast does *shuffle* their streams now and then so any ShoutCast saved streams will eventually not work. I've never experienced this with RadioIO before, that I can recall.

As for your Favorites going missing, if you are using SN their may be a duplicate PIN number out there or SN is confusing PIN numbers on different players. Highly unlikely, but possible.

84tiger
2008-11-13, 15:47
I think you are correct regarding the "no playlist found" problem - this only happens with the Shoutcast stations. RadioIO seems well behaved.

I use Squeezecenter only - I may have accessed Squeezenetwork a few times but don't use it for any of my music streaming so any kind of duplicate or confused pin id seems unlikely.

toby10
2008-11-14, 05:37
I think you are correct regarding the "no playlist found" problem - this only happens with the Shoutcast stations. RadioIO seems well behaved.

I use Squeezecenter only - I may have accessed Squeezenetwork a few times but don't use it for any of my music streaming so any kind of duplicate or confused pin id seems unlikely.

Yeah, the PIN is SN related only. Sure is odd some of your Favorites are just going missing in SC. :(

I use ShoutCast in WinAmp (Classic View, the new Beta View sucks) for general Internet Radio surfing, searching, discovery, filtering, etc... it is a very good resource. It also allows for bitrate filtering which is REALLY handy to weed out the duplicate and low quality streams. Using simple Cut & Paste of the URL I put those streams into SC Favorites. If I find myself using that station frequently I will try going directly to the stations web site and get the direct URL, replacing my ShoutCast URL.

But many of the actual stations, like the source providers (i.e. ShoutCast), do change their URL's from time to time. Getting the URL direct from the streaming station is generally less susceptible to URL changes. I have some URL's that have not changed in almost two years, while other URL's go dead every few months. It's just the way it is with Internet Radio. :)