PDA

View Full Version : Why does external HDD = slow navigation?

Letten
2008-11-12, 15:55
I wasn't too happy with the performance of navigating my music, this goes for the web interface (especially browsing album art) and the controller interface (slow album art) and the Boom for that matter (fast scrolling on the wheel).

I have SC on a XP laptop and my music(and artwork) was on a external USB 2.0 HDD. As I could see that, all the actions described above, resulted in activity on my external HDD, I decided to invested in a new, larger, internal HDD for my laptop (to fit all my music). And suddenly the performance is much much better. The artwork displays almost instantly on the webinterface, and scrolling with artwork on the controller is also much better and the same goes for the Boom (text only, but stil much better).

I thought that the all the relevant metadata used for navigation was stored in the database underneath the SC installation (laptop internal HDD) and that SC only needed to access my external HDD when I'm actually playing some music.

So why am I seeing this improovement in performance by mooving the music to the internal disc?

aubuti
2008-11-12, 16:28
I doubt this is problem, but it's worth asking before chasing other explanations: are you browsing by Music Folders? If so, then SC is just reading straight from the files and not making use of the metadata in its cache. That's the only explanation I can think of for what you're seeing. If you are browing by any other method (Artist, Album, Genre, etc.) then I'm puzzled too.

Mnyb
2008-11-12, 21:21
I wasn't too happy with the performance of navigating my music, this goes for the web interface (especially browsing album art) and the controller interface (slow album art) and the Boom for that matter (fast scrolling on the wheel).

I have SC on a XP laptop and my music(and artwork) was on a external USB 2.0 HDD. As I could see that, all the actions described above, resulted in activity on my external HDD, I decided to invested in a new, larger, internal HDD for my laptop (to fit all my music). And suddenly the performance is much much better. The artwork displays almost instantly on the webinterface, and scrolling with artwork on the controller is also much better and the same goes for the Boom (text only, but stil much better).

I thought that the all the relevant metadata used for navigation was stored in the database underneath the SC installation (laptop internal HDD) and that SC only needed to access my external HDD when I'm actually playing some music.

So why am I seeing this improovement in performance by mooving the music to the internal disc?

I tried the search function about this, but found nothing either.
But I have a vague memory of an old discussion about this situation.
That it actually is slower with external HD.
I'm also puzzled, if scanning is slower that is understandable with USB drives, and browse by music folder too.
Otherwise I think it's a bug or design error.
I do think SC is doing some databse stuff everytime you acess a file ?

Letten
2008-11-12, 22:40
I'm not browsing by Music Folders (actually never use that).

I'm also betting on some kind of "design flaw".

peter
2008-11-13, 00:57
Letten wrote:
> I'm not browsing by Music Folders (actually never use that).
>
> I'm also betting on some kind of "design flaw".
>

Mysterious indeed. You could try installing Process Explorer (a useful
windows tool in any case) and use the 'View Handles' function to see
what files SC is accessing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Regards,
Peter

mherger
2008-11-13, 01:32
> I have SC on a XP laptop and my music(and artwork) was on a external
> USB 2.0 HDD.

Does the laptop support USB2, too?

--

Michael

neilcoburn
2008-11-13, 06:36
Is browsing always slow with your external drive, or only when you start browsing/playing? Mine takes a while to get going (as the drive starts up) but then once I'm playing something it speeds up

Letten
2008-11-13, 09:56
> I have SC on a XP laptop and my music(and artwork) was on a external
> USB 2.0 HDD.

Does the laptop support USB2, too?

--

Michael

Yes it does.

Letten
2008-11-13, 10:00
Is browsing always slow with your external drive, or only when you start browsing/playing? Mine takes a while to get going (as the drive starts up) but then once I'm playing something it speeds up

For sure it takes a few seconds to start up the drive, but still it feels slow when navigating the albums.

But why would there be any activity on the extarnel HDD at all, when I'm just browsing through albums (inkl. coverart) in the web interface and nothing is playing? It really feels like it's retrieving the album art one by one, on the fly from the External HDD. I thought this was kept in some kind of cache in the database on the SC - server (laptop internal HDD).

simbo
2008-11-13, 11:50
You could try the tweak suggested by EliteAV here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45121&highlight=controller+albums&page=3) (last post on page). It's works well with my NAS drive - maybe it'll work with external drives too?

Mnyb
2008-11-13, 12:48
You could try the tweak suggested by EliteAV here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45121&highlight=controller+albums&page=3) (last post on page). It's works well with my NAS drive - maybe it'll work with external drives too?

Simbo you did it, you found the tread i was searching for nice.
It sure looks like it to me.

So SC is fetching the cover art during browsing ? is it still that way ?

Letten
2008-11-13, 14:12
Simbo you did it, you found the tread i was searching for nice.
It sure looks like it to me.

So SC is fetching the cover art during browsing ? is it still that way ?

It sure sounds like this is what's happening, now it would be nice to have a comment from the developers.

What's happening?, why? and will it be changed for better performance on all interfaces?

JJZolx
2008-11-13, 14:57
For sure it takes a few seconds to start up the drive, but still it feels slow when navigating the albums.

Navigating albums in the web interface has always been very slow. Are you sure it's slowER than with an internal drive? On a moderately fast server, expect at least 3-5 seconds to load an album page in the gallery view with artist name display enabled.

But why would there be any activity on the extarnel HDD at all, when I'm just browsing through albums (inkl. coverart) in the web interface and nothing is playing? It really feels like it's retrieving the album art one by one, on the fly from the External HDD. I thought this was kept in some kind of cache in the database on the SC - server (laptop internal HDD).

It's a factor of the design. SqueezeCenter is hitting the hard drive to see if any of the files have changed and is checking file timestamps against the timestamps in the database to see whether any of the files have changed. In the album view it's probably doing this for every track in every album displayed on the page.