PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using 2 servers with duet?

maggior
2008-11-11, 19:44
This is really strange. I have 2 servers both running 7.2.1. One is running Open SuSE 11.0, the other 10.2. With my sb3s, I can easily switch between both servers and all is well. My SBC just does not see the second server (the 11.0 based one). As an experiment, I shut down the main server and connected to squeezecenter. Still no joy. It took 10 - 15 minutes for my main server to show back up on the list after restarting (which was a bit of a panic period).

To simplify things, I ensured both servers were configured with the same port and same username and password. Still nothing. Entering the IP address manually in the SBC does not work either.

Does anybody else do this with their SBC? With the SB3 boxes it has been a no brainer, but it just refuses to work with the SBC.

BTW, my intitial attempt with this was to load up 7.3 on the secondary machine to help beta test. There, the second server would show up and the SBR could connect to it, but the SBC would time out and I was forced to reset my receiver to get it connected to my main server again.

Any insight/help is appreciated.

Thanks!

aubuti
2008-11-12, 07:50
I've been using 2 and sometimes 3 servers and *most* of the time I can switch between them just fine with the SBC. Sometimes it just fails, sometimes it doesn't list all the servers, but I'd say roughly 80-90% of the time it just works. First I use Choose Player to pick the SB I want to move to a different server, then I use Settings > Music Source to pick the server.

Can you switch servers using the web ui?

maggior
2008-11-12, 09:16
Hmmm...interesting that it should work. What rev of FW do you have on your controller? I am running what was recently pushed a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps that has a bearing.

I wasn't aware that you could do it through the web ui. Can you briefly describe how it is done that way? That would be an interesting test, but it wouldn't solve my problem since then I'd have to use the webui to control the player and couldn't use the controller.

Thanks!!

aubuti
2008-11-12, 12:17
Hmmm...interesting that it should work. What rev of FW do you have on your controller? I am running what was recently pushed a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps that has a bearing.

I wasn't aware that you could do it through the web ui. Can you briefly describe how it is done that way? That would be an interesting test, but it wouldn't solve my problem since then I'd have to use the webui to control the player and couldn't use the controller.
I've been doing it for months, so it's not something peculiar to the SBC FW. I can look up the version #s when I get home, but I think I'm on r33xx. It's recent enough that it plays through the SBC and you can control the SBC volume directly.

In the web ui, just go to the drop down list in the upper right corner of the screen. It will show which players you have, grouped by which server they're connected to. If you're in the web ui for server A and you select a player that's connected to server B you'll get a popup telling you that it's connected to B, and asking to confirm that you really want to connect it to A instead. A couple weeks ago I had a problem where it said it couldn't resolve the hostname for server B so it couldn't disconnect the player, but then it was fine again a couple days ago.

maggior
2008-11-12, 12:35
Thanks Aubuti for the responses.

You must be running 7.3 beta. Either that or a custom plugin. Or I'm just very confused! :-).

I'm running 7.2.1 and the drop down list of my players do not show which server they are connected to. When I move one of my sb3 boxes to the other server, it appears there and disappears from the other.

You are running a much newer version of controller FW than I am.

I may just hold out for 7.3 to go production. My whole family now uses the SBs quite often and I'm not comfortable with destabilizing the main server and controller by moving to 7.3 at this point. My idea was to have a secondary server set up with 7.3 and switch between them. But now I can't even get multiple 7.2.1 systems going :-(.

950ash
2008-11-12, 15:22
I have 2 servers running 7.2.1 and i switch all the time.
Settings-Music source , if you dont see the name of both computers you need to search by selecting other servers and let it find it. If you cant find it then maybe it your network or firewall?

maggior
2008-11-12, 18:17
I wouldn't think it was a network issue since my SB3 boxes can switch and I can use the web interface. It is only the conroller that won't cooperate.

There are 2 differences from when I last attempted this - a different controller FW and the OS is SuSE 11.0 rather than 10.2. I ensured that the firewall in 11.0 was turned off and I just uninstalled apparmor to ensure it is not getting in the way.

Next I'll try backing up to an older FW load. Reverting back to 10.2 isn't really an option. I guess I could load SC on one of my Windows XP boxes and see if that shows up.

Thanks for the suggestions and info. I'll report back if I discover anything interesting.

950ash
2008-11-12, 20:41
Yeah sorry I'm using Vista and XP.

aubuti
2008-11-12, 20:52
Thanks Aubuti for the responses.

You must be running 7.3 beta. Either that or a custom plugin. Or I'm just very confused! :-).

I'm running 7.2.1 and the drop down list of my players do not show which server they are connected to. When I move one of my sb3 boxes to the other server, it appears there and disappears from the other.

You are running a much newer version of controller FW than I am.

I may just hold out for 7.3 to go production. My whole family now uses the SBs quite often and I'm not comfortable with destabilizing the main server and controller by moving to 7.3 at this point. My idea was to have a secondary server set up with 7.3 and switch between them. But now I can't even get multiple 7.2.1 systems going :-(.
I have one Ubuntu 8.04 server running 7.3 (23875) from Nov 10, a debian NAS server running the official 7.2 (22900) (not 7.2.1). I just did the following:
1. picked up an SBC connected to the SC7.2 server. It had SBC firmware r2873.
2. chose a player that was connected to the SC7.3 server. That updated the SBC firmware to r3330.
3. changed the music source to the SC7.2 server, which then "down-dated" the firmware on the SBR from 53 to 47, and down-dated the SBC firmware back to r2873
4. changed the music source to the SC7.3 server, and it updated the SBR firmware back to 53 and the SBC firmware to r3330
5. chose the SBC as a player, and it updated the SBC firmware to r3348

All of this went quite smoothly, although of course it takes time to upgrade/downgrade the firmware on the SBR and the SBC. The only glitch was when I tried to get the SBC back to normal (7.2 and r2873, the more stable version for family use) and got stuck in an endless loop of being made to upgrade to r3330, and then upgrade to r2873, and then upgrade to r3330, etc. I finally got that taken care of by connecting the SC7.3 SBR I had used on the test to the SC7.2 server, after which the SBC settled on r2873.

Here's a screen capture of the web ui dropdown. This is on the SC7.2 server, but it looks the same on the SC7.3 server (the server names are cabernet, pinot, and a 3rd one named porto -- don't ask.....)

So, these are just data points showing how it can/should work, and not really solutions to your problem. Sorry about that!

maggior
2008-11-13, 08:40
Thanks again Aubuti - the information is very helpful.

Another data point I have is that squeezeplay on my WinXP machine sees both servers and can switch players (including the SBR) between the two. Because of this I really don't think it is a networking problem

Something that may complicate the matter is that I have security enabled on my server since I access it from work.

My next step is to do a factory reset on the controller and see if I can connect it to the secondary system. I may hold off on this since this sometimes takes a few tries to get it to go properly.

It's really strange that my web UI does not look like what you posted. Again, perhaps this has to do with having security enabled on at least one of the servers. I'll have to check into it.

Thanks again!

BTW, interesting server names. My network is made up machines named Edgar, Johannes, Peter, and Klaus. If you are a Tangerine Dream fan, you will understand where those names came from.

And for the sake of the thread - none of my experiments with Windows or using an SD card to upgrade the controller FW helped. But the fact that squeezeplay worked was encouraging.

maggior
2008-11-13, 19:11
OK, now I can switch between servers. Both are running 7.2.1 at the moment. The magic seemed to be doing the factory reset on the controller. When I did that, it asked for the username and password for both servers. Perhaps the fact that I enable the security feature in squeezecenter is what complicated this for me.

I wish there was a way to take care of things like this without having to resort to a factory reset each time. I'd even settle for editing files on the controller by logging in via ssh.

So that's fine. I still don't see the web page like Aubuti has shown. That I think is a nice feature. Is there some hidden parameter that has to be turned on for that to work?

aubuti
2008-11-13, 20:07
So that's fine. I still don't see the web page like Aubuti has shown. That I think is a nice feature. Is there some hidden parameter that has to be turned on for that to work?
Glad to hear you got that sorted out. As for the player drop-down menu, you should have that whenever you have more than one player in range, even if it's only two players, each connected to different servers. There's no special switch or parameter. Do you not have any way to switch between players on the web ui? Or do you get the old style drop-down that just shows players connected to the current server?

What skin are you using? I just checked and saw that the listing for players on other servers only seems to appear with the default skin, and not Classic, Fishbone, Nokia770, or Touch.

maggior
2008-11-13, 22:02
I get the old style drop down in the top right hand corner that just lists the players connected to the server. There is an option at the bottom of the list to synchronize players. If I move a player to the other server via the remote, it disappears from the list on one server and appears on the other. The players on each server are not visible on the other server.

I have 5 or 6 players - 2 sb3s, 2 sbrs, and 1 or 2 instances of squeezeslave. I am using the default skin - the one that is the Logitech green theme.

What is interesting is that if I switch a player to another server via the web UI, it remains in both lists. However, there is no separator like you show indicating the server.

I've used both IE and FF browsers and see the same behavior. I also flushed the cache directory on the secondary server when I installed 7.2.1 after uninstalling 7.3.

Now this bothers me seeing how it should work :-(.

At least I've made some progress.

Thanks for your continued input.