PDA

View Full Version : force static IP address

BubbleSoap
2008-11-11, 14:43
Hi there,
does anybody know how to force a static IP address to the receiver?
at moment DHCP service assigns the IP for the receiver, but i'd like to choose one because i can set up the QoS in the router to give priority to the traffic of the receiver.
Thanks in advance
;)

morsejeff
2008-11-11, 19:23
There may be other ways, but you could just figure out the MAC address of the receiver and program the router to assign a certain IP address for that MAC address.

BubbleSoap
2008-11-12, 01:33
i'd prefer to assing a static ip address in the receiver...
i know if the DHCP is disabled the receiver will ask you to give it a static ip address (so it will let you choose one).
how can i get into this menu?
can i log in through telnet?

thanks in advcance to all the forum
;)

Howard Passman
2008-11-12, 03:28
i'd prefer to assing a static ip address in the receiver...
i know if the DHCP is disabled the receiver will ask you to give it a static ip address (so it will let you choose one).
how can i get into this menu?
can i log in through telnet?

thanks in advcance to all the forum
;)

Really,the only easy way to statically assign an IP address to your receiver is to turn of DHCP in your router. If your receiver can't get an address from DHCP, it will ask for a static one. Generally the main web page for the router is where that setting can be switched off and on. Depending on how many devices you have, you may want to assign static ip's to all of them. Some of us consdier this the easiest way to deal with networks, some of us don't. If you ever use WOL (Wake on LAN) you have to statically address.

Howard

BTW, if you have more than one router, you must turn DHCP off in them all.

BubbleSoap
2008-11-12, 03:31
thanks
but, will the static ip address stay after i will set the DHCP on again and after a reboot (not reset) to the receiver?
byeeeee
;)

Skunk
2008-11-12, 06:26
thanks
but, will the static ip address stay after i will set the DHCP on again and after a reboot (not reset) to the receiver?
byeeeee
;)

You shouldn't need to turn DHCP off. What you want is a static DHCP address, which as mentioned is assigned by MAC address. Since this is set in the router, and the MAC address of the device doesn't change, the Receiver will always use the given address, even after resetting the Receiver. Look for the DHCP settings on your router config page to see if there is a 'static DHCP' option. I gave the server, Controller, and all SB's static addresses, but left DHCP on for any other devices that want to connect.

maggior
2008-11-12, 10:18
The only problem with static DHCP is that not all routers support it. On my Linksys WRT54GS, I had to move to DD-WRT to gain this functionality.

It's so much easier to manage ip addresses from one location.

Mnyb
2008-11-12, 10:39
The Net-UDAP tool makes it possible to use static IP :

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43722

But if it will stay that way in the presence of a DCHP server i don't now ?
thats a really good question ?

I'm planning on turning on my DCHP in a range outside of my server and SB's

Sligthly OT:

I have the DNS setting in every device, set to my ISP's DNS server.
Some people uses the routers IP as DNS ? whats the purpose of that (blushing in ignorance ) if it has any advantage at all, can i do that with router with Tomato software ?

Phil Leigh
2008-11-12, 10:54

Sligthly OT:

Some people uses the routers IP as DNS ? whats the purpose of that (blushing in ignorance ) if it has any advantage at all, can i do that with router with Tomato software ?

The Router should act as a DNS gateway, so the logical thing to do is to set the DNS to be the IP of your router. At least that's the way I've always done it and I've never had a DNS issue.

maggior
2008-11-12, 11:31

Sligthly OT:

I believe the idea is that if your ISP changes the addresses of the primary or secondary DNS servers, it will get picked up automatically by the router rather than it having to propogate to the DHCP clients. Also, static IP clients don't have to be reconfigured if the DNS changes (DNS addresses have to be specified when configuring static IP).

Mnyb
2008-11-12, 11:51
I see, so propagation DNS query's is a standard router function even if you not have DHCP on, maybe i give it try sometime, I have no problems as it is now.
I rather don't touch my SBR as it has worked flawlessly after the initial hurdle to use net-udap.

My misunderstanding comes from the fact that at least my old netgear router in dchp used to set both DNS's in the clients to my ISP's dns's servers.
So I thought it should be that way even when you do a manual config.

Now back on topic after educating me (thankyou ).

My experience with fixed ip's are a very stable environment for the squeezeboxes, everything reconnects very fast.

maggior
2008-11-12, 12:50
I see, so propagation DNS query's is a standard router function even if you not have DHCP on, maybe i give it try sometime, I have no problems as it is now.
I rather don't touch my SBR as it has worked flawlessly after the initial hurdle to use net-udap.

If the DHCP server is turned off entirely...I'm not sure. Honestly, I'm not 100% clear on how it works. Looking at my router, I'm not exactly sure how I would set it up and the online help isn't very helpful. I think I'll read up on it though...it is an interesting configuration idea.

My misunderstanding comes from the fact that at least my old netgear router in dchp used to set both DNS's in the clients to my ISP's dns's servers.
So I thought it should be that way even when you do a manual config.

Now back on topic after educating me (thankyou ).

No problem. My comments are all based on my experience, so no guarantees :-).

My experience with fixed ip's are a very stable environment for the squeezeboxes, everything reconnects very fast.

That was my experience and was my primary reason for going with static IPs on my SB devices. But then I read a discussion on static DHCP and decided to give it a whirl. At least with DD-WRT, the DHCP server is very fast at issuing IP addresses.

Howard Passman
2008-11-13, 03:03

I know this is a hot subject, but if we pushed this more on the forum, especially to folks not to familiar with networking and routers, things would go much better. It is the simplest solution. those who are comfortable with routers and networks will find their own way.

Howard

BubbleSoap
2008-11-13, 03:11
It is the simplest solution. those who are comfortable with routers and networks will find their own way.
Howard

the simplest solution is a menu option in the controller to be able to choose a static IP address.
i hope they will listen to these requests.
byeeee

Kim.T
2008-11-13, 04:42
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7502
Once again pushed to another milestone - damn.
I don't know why this has so low priority. A lot of the problems people have with disconnection and BIOD would probably be solved with a fixed IP.

BubbleSoap
2008-11-13, 04:55
from bug 7139 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7139)
this isn't going to be fixed by 7.3., retarget for 7.3.1

let's vote for this bug!
they may understand many people want it fixed!

mannekung
2008-11-24, 14:37
As Bubblesoap says, VOTE!

Important to get it fixed - this should be considered as a basic (and mandatory) feature of all network connected devices!