PDA

View Full Version : Playback through controller?

ungerwu
2008-11-10, 20:32
I'm running the 7.3 upgrade and wondered how/if I can listen through the headphone jack on the Duet controller.

Mnyb
2008-11-10, 21:39
Hi.

From you controller go to settings">"Advanced">"Audio playback">"Enable playback".

Then restart the controller now it should be possible to choose your controller as a player like any other player.

On controller it's in "choose player" menu.

In SqueezeCenter you find it under the choose player tab with your other players.

Ps you have to reapply this setting after an uppgrade of your controller.

edit: it's still a beta feature, remember that if you find something odd.
And report findings to the nice people developing this :-)

Mnyb
2008-11-10, 22:37
OT, if your not using headphones the music comes out of the tiny speaker at back, which leads to.

You can use the Controller as an alarm clock, because the speaker is tiny you have to choose one of the sound effects (or any other really annoying sound with a lot of treble and midrange )and crank up the volume to 100% to have any realistic chance of waking up, cool

Howard Passman
2008-11-11, 12:15
OT, if your not using headphones the music comes out of the tiny speaker at back, which leads to.

You can use the Controller as an alarm clock, because the speaker is tiny you have to choose one of the sound effects (or any other really annoying sound with a lot of treble and midrange )and crank up the volume to 100% to have any realistic chance of waking up, cool

Very clever :-) For a light sleeper like me music will still work.

Howard

ungerwu
2008-11-11, 19:49
Not sure how to restart the controller. Haven't gotten the listen through controller thing to work yet.

peterw
2008-11-11, 20:02
Not sure how to restart the controller. Haven't gotten the listen through controller thing to work yet.

Hold the Home button for 5 seconds to turn it off, wait a couple seconds, then briefly press Home to boot it up.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Controller_User_Interface

-Peter

BubbleSoap
2008-11-12, 06:51
From you controller go to settings">"Advanced">"Audio playback">"Enable playback".

i just updated and i cannot find it...
did you do something different to have that option?
thanks

Mnyb
2008-11-12, 08:57
? strange did you upgrade the controller to ? not only SqueezeCenter.

The controller should run software r3309 for best result.

Somewhere under advanced in your controller you have software update.

Also in "advanced" you have "About" go in there to se what controller version you are running.

In Squeezecenter check what vesrion of you are running:
settings > information.

I have Version: 7.3 - 23895 @ Tue Nov 11 03:00:12 PST 2008

BubbleSoap
2008-11-13, 01:31
there was a problem updating it...
it couldnt update from setting --> advanced --> updating software. there was an error.
for who will read this in the future, i solved upgrading SC from 7.2.1 to 7.3beta, rebooting SC, powering off the receiver, switching on the controller, and at the startup of controller, the Operative System of the controller notified an upgrade by itself.
so i have the option to listen to the music from the controller as well.
byeeee

fritig
2008-11-16, 06:30
same problem with vista home premium.

update via sd-card worked just simple.

controller rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mflint
2008-11-19, 16:34
controller rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed it does... I know what'll be in my pocket the next time I'm mowing the lawn! ;-)

M

nowork
2008-11-21, 17:26
I'd like put in a vote, at high priority, for enabling the Duet Controller to connect to SqueezeNetwork directly.

Connecting to SqueezeCenter is great, also connecting to SqueezeNewtwork would make me take the Duet Controller "on the road."

I think this would be a great viral way for Slim/Logitech to get more Duets sold.

Thanks

Howard Passman
2008-11-22, 13:05
I'd like put in a vote, at high priority, for enabling the Duet Controller to connect to SqueezeNetwork directly.

Connecting to SqueezeCenter is great, also connecting to SqueezeNewtwork would make me take the Duet Controller "on the road."

I think this would be a great viral way for Slim/Logitech to get more Duets sold.

Thanks

That would be cool. I'd vote for it.

Howard

Invader3K
2008-11-27, 08:16
So, does this actually work? I updated my remote's software, and it doesn't list the appropriate option under the "Advanced" tab. I can get the controller's sound effects through headphones, but no music.

Howard Passman
2008-11-27, 17:29
So, does this actually work? I updated my remote's software, and it doesn't list the appropriate option under the "Advanced" tab. I can get the controller's sound effects through headphones, but no music.

First you need to be sure you are using SC 7.3+.

Then shut down SC and your Controller. Restart SC and then your controller. It should ask for a firmware update automatically. If not go to settings/advanced and then software update. See if it sees the new firmware there and load it.

Try the above first.

Howard

P.S. Yes it does actually work and has worked well for weeks.

damager
2008-11-27, 17:56
This....is....SO COOL!

It works great!

damager
2008-11-27, 18:18
OK - I've done some further testing with my setup, which includes SqueezeCenter running on a Windows Home Server, 2 Duets, 1 SB3, and 3 Booms. I also have several online Music Service accounts.

First, this works great with multiple controllers. You need to connect and play something on each controller before it is recognized on SqueezeCenter, but once you do that you can see the controller on SqueezeCenter and change the name to something that makes sense.

Playing from my Music Library works fine.

Playing from Music Services works fine for Pandora, Slacker, Last.FM and Live Music Archive.

Playing from Rhapsody does NOT work on either one of my controllers.

Also, if you have a screensaver defined (I show the analog clock), then there seems to be a bug if you have a controller selected as the playback device where if you pick up the controller and hit the middle button, it just reshows the clock.

damager
2008-11-27, 18:19
Damn - it just reset my controller.

Cough
2008-11-27, 21:46
I just got my first Squeezebox Duet. First post.

Upgraded to 7.3 Beta etc all Ok.

Set up my controller and had no trouble getting playback through the controller.

But.... I get my music through both the built in speaker AND through the headphones (using just my Ipod earphones) at the same time.

So I am wondering ... is thers something wrong with the earphone socket/switch on my controller or for some silly reason do I have to switch off the internal speaker in some other way????

feedback would be appreciated since I am still within 30 day return policyy

Howard Passman
2008-11-28, 03:01
OK - I've done some further testing with my setup, which includes SqueezeCenter running on a Windows Home Server, 2 Duets, 1 SB3, and 3 Booms. I also have several online Music Service accounts.

First, this works great with multiple controllers. You need to connect and play something on each controller before it is recognized on SqueezeCenter, but once you do that you can see the controller on SqueezeCenter and change the name to something that makes sense.

Playing from my Music Library works fine.

Playing from Music Services works fine for Pandora, Slacker, Last.FM and Live Music Archive.

Playing from Rhapsody does NOT work on either one of my controllers.

Also, if you have a screensaver defined (I show the analog clock), then there seems to be a bug if you have a controller selected as the playback device where if you pick up the controller and hit the middle button, it just reshows the clock.

Sounds normal so far. Remember this is a beta release. We're all waiting for Rhapsody to work. Pandora started a week or so ago. Hang in there and ignore any little quirks for now. Report them, but don't obsess on them.

Have fun with it.

Howard

Howard Passman
2008-11-28, 03:03
I just got my first Squeezebox Duet. First post.

Upgraded to 7.3 Beta etc all Ok.

Set up my controller and had no trouble getting playback through the controller.

But.... I get my music through both the built in speaker AND through the headphones (using just my Ipod earphones) at the same time.

So I am wondering ... is thers something wrong with the earphone socket/switch on my controller or for some silly reason do I have to switch off the internal speaker in some other way????

feedback would be appreciated since I am still within 30 day return policyy

Make certain you have the latest firmware for the SBC. The early releases didn't shut the speaker in the SBC off. Next thing to try is a different set of headphones/earbuds. Since the jack doesn't shut the speaker off mechanically, it's possible that whatever scheme they use to sense headphones presence isn't working on your buds. I use Shure buds and Sennheiser headphones with no issue.

Howard

damager
2008-11-28, 17:21
Sounds normal so far. Remember this is a beta release. We're all waiting for Rhapsody to work. Pandora started a week or so ago. Hang in there and ignore any little quirks for now. Report them, but don't obsess on them.

Have fun with it.

Howard

Yep - no issue. Just wasn't sure if this had all been reported already - looks like it has.

Cough
2008-12-01, 16:35
Make certain you have the latest firmware for the SBC. The early releases didn't shut the speaker in the SBC off. Next thing to try is a different set of headphones/earbuds. Since the jack doesn't shut the speaker off mechanically, it's possible that whatever scheme they use to sense headphones presence isn't working on your buds. I use Shure buds and Sennheiser headphones with no issue.

Howard

Thanks for the insight

jr1414
2008-12-07, 18:14
Does this work on Linux (Ubuntu) boxes, or just on Windows for now.

I've got my SC running on a box tucked away in the garage, I'd rather not have to get to it to find out it's not yet supported for Linux.

Thanks.

Skunk
2008-12-07, 20:59
Does this work on Linux (Ubuntu) boxes, or just on Windows for now.

I've got my SC running on a box tucked away in the garage, I'd rather not have to get to it to find out it's not yet supported for Linux.

Thanks.

It works on Linux, but I'd think you could update SC to the unstable (beta) version without having to physically 'get to' the box.

Hayrickshaw
2008-12-18, 02:52
Set up Controller to play, headphones worked right first time. First rate But every minute or so, BBC stream thru iplayer plugin or thru BBC pauses for 5 seconds and then resumes (very accurately), Message on the controller says it's rebuffering. This doesn't happen on my squeezebox when it plays the same streamd. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

RichardH
2008-12-18, 20:36
Is anyone having a problem with Slacker, and playback via the controller. Other sources work fine, including Music Library, Pandora, and internet radio. When playing Slacker I get no output from earphones. It works fine with my A/V system.

It does appear as if the controller does connect to Slacker because album art is displayed, and data such as artist, track, year, ban artist etc is available. Time track timer moves, but when it gets to 20 or 30 seconds it resets to 0 and restarts, but again no sound.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Your insites would be appreciated.

Thanks

Selexus
2008-12-19, 05:18
Hi,

After reading the various threads about 7.3 and the, now, active playback function for the controller i thought i'd give it a go.
It works, but unfortunatley when i plug my headphones in (sennheiser HD600) the controller speaker doesn't shut off. I get a very faint signal through to the headphones, but it is VERY faint.
I've upgraded to the latest daily build and manualy ensured that my controller has the latest firmware. (although it says firware version 0 in the information screen !?!) When trying to reapply the fireware upgrade it says i have the latest r3467 ? i think. (I'm at work so can't check).
Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Pete.

kcvixg
2008-12-19, 06:25
Hi,

After reading the various threads about 7.3 and the, now, active playback function for the controller i thought i'd give it a go.
It works, but unfortunatley when i plug my headphones in (sennheiser HD600) the controller speaker doesn't shut off. I get a very faint signal through to the headphones, but it is VERY faint.
I've upgraded to the latest daily build and manualy ensured that my controller has the latest firmware. (although it says firware version 0 in the information screen !?!) When trying to reapply the fireware upgrade it says i have the latest r3467 ? i think. (I'm at work so can't check).
Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Pete.

Hi Pete

I am having exactly the same problem - its not the headphones as I have tried all sorts of, from cheap ear buds to Proline - the release is r3476
Cheers
Robin

Selexus
2008-12-19, 07:32
Hi Pete

I am having exactly the same problem - its not the headphones as I have tried all sorts of, from cheap ear buds to Proline - the release is r3476
Cheers
Robin

OK, Glad it's not just me.
Does anyone know why this might be happening ? Is it worth a bug report ?

Howard Passman
2008-12-19, 11:28
OK, Glad it's not just me.
Does anyone know why this might be happening ? Is it worth a bug report ?

After reading several folks that have the problem and seeing how it reacts to different tries at remedying it, I think it is a defect in the minijack on the SBC and would suggest you call Logtiech. They may approach it as a "beta" issue since playback on the SBC is indeed in beta, but you can remind them that it is working on others SBC's and the only difference would be the jack itself.

Howard

Selexus
2008-12-19, 15:54
Thanks Howard. I'll try to get the logitech number and have a chat to there support people.

slydog75
2008-12-23, 09:55
This.Is.Awesome. Great feature!

TheLastMan
2008-12-23, 12:14
Set up Controller to play, headphones worked right first time. First rate But every minute or so, BBC stream thru iplayer plugin or thru BBC pauses for 5 seconds and then resumes (very accurately), Message on the controller says it's rebuffering. This doesn't happen on my squeezebox when it plays the same streamd. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Happens to me from time to time, usually where there is a weak wireless signal. I guess the antenna on the Controller is not quite as good as on the reciever and connection can get weak or lost, particularly as you move about the house.

My Receiver is sitting in the best spot for Wireless on the ground floor of my house, the living room. If I sit next to it listening on the Controller I get no problems. If I sit in the kitchen, which is the worst spot in the house for wireless, the controller will "buffer" at random intervals, but never worse than, say, every 10 minutes.

I haven't had any problems with FLAC playback though, even in the kitchen.

In the living room my laptop signal is 100% and the receiver shows 85% on Squeezecentre.

In the kitchen my laptop signal is 40% and the receiver shows 20 - 25%.
There does not seem to be any way to tell what signal strength the Controller sees, unless anybody else knows?

brucesmith
2008-12-23, 15:21
I can play music fine through the controller. But if I try to play some downloaded podcasts from my music library the controller freezes and restarts itself and then freezes once it has restarted. I have to stop the playback in squeeze center to get the controller working again. It seems that some podcasts work and some don't.

Anyone else having these problems?

alumin
2008-12-25, 10:27
Is it something that I have missed here, or? This feature works fine when it comes to getting sound from the built in speaker. But when connecting a headset (Sennheiser), the sound does not disappear from the speaker and it does not appear in the headset. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Nicholas
2008-12-25, 13:54
In order to use my headphones with the controller, my computer has to be on...I believe this kind of bits the purpose of my wonderful Duet! Still Love it though and I am anxiously awaiting for the option to directly connect to my squeeze network instead of having to keep the computer on and connect to the squeeze center.

Nautilus
2008-12-29, 03:51
Is it something that I have missed here, or? This feature works fine when it comes to getting sound from the built in speaker. But when connecting a headset (Sennheiser), the sound does not disappear from the speaker and it does not appear in the headset. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

After reading several folks that have the problem and seeing how it reacts to different tries at remedying it, I think it is a defect in the minijack on the SBC and would suggest you call Logtiech. They may approach it as a "beta" issue since playback on the SBC is indeed in beta, but you can remind them that it is working on others SBC's and the only difference would be the jack itself.

Howard

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=56498

So you're not alone...

Hmm, I just saw this in the other thread:

I also had this problem with 7.3.0, so I upgraded to 7.3.1 beta, which added the headphone functionality. Download the now released official 7.3.1 and your headphone socket will work.

I guess I'll try the 7.3.1. before calling Logitech, although for most the headphone feature worked in 7.3 as well...

Nautilus
2009-01-01, 11:20
I got this finally sorted out for my part:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=378022&postcount=13

Thanks for helping!

J-ohno
2009-01-07, 08:17
In order to use my headphones with the controller, my computer has to be on...I believe this kind of bits the purpose of my wonderful Duet! Still Love it though and I am anxiously awaiting for the option to directly connect to my squeeze network instead of having to keep the computer on and connect to the squeeze center.

I noticed that when using the SBC as a player it does not offer SqueezeNetwork as a music source. This seems a bit strange/odd/stupid. Why should that be? When I tried to go back to picking the SBR as a Player the controller froze up and wouldn't connect, but then I am having problems connecting my SBC to the network as outlined in another thread. Should it be possible to change from Controller as a player to any other Squeezbox without difficulty?

Howard Passman
2009-01-08, 04:36
I noticed that when using the SBC as a player it does not offer SqueezeNetwork as a music source. This seems a bit strange/odd/stupid. Why should that be? When I tried to go back to picking the SBR as a Player the controller froze up and wouldn't connect, but then I am having problems connecting my SBC to the network as outlined in another thread. Should it be possible to change from Controller as a player to any other Squeezbox without difficulty?

I believe they are trying to get away from or eliminate SN. The idea being to not have to switch sources to get any and all types of streams. It's really a good idea and the most convenient.

As far as switching from one player to another, it should be very easy and quick on the SBC.

Howard

aubuti
2009-01-08, 07:59
I believe they are trying to get away from or eliminate SN. The idea being to not have to switch sources to get any and all types of streams. It's really a good idea and the most convenient.
While they are trying to make SC/SN switching more seamless and have already done a great deal in that area, I don't think they are trying "to get away from or eliminate SN" at all. I don't have any inside information, but I think Logi/SD is very attuned to the large group of customers and potential customers who don't want to run SC, and instead pull their music from Rhapsody, Pandora, Deezer, etc. Also, the UPnP functionality that andyg has said is being discussed/planned would require SN.

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that the lack of support for SN on the SBC player is because SBC playback is still a work in progress. SD/Logi is quite clear that it's still a beta product.

jfourman
2009-01-08, 21:25
I'm cross posting here because I originally posted to a similar thread in the SC forum and then saw this thread for which my post is probably more appropriate...

I am having the same problem with the audio to the controllor only coming out of the controller speaker. My experience tells me that this is not a hardware issue but rather an issue with the software or firmware. I am convinced of this because:

My first attempt at connecting the headset was before upgrading my controller software. My SC ver at the time was 7.3.1. With this configuration, I clearly heard the contoller navigation clicks through my headset and nothing out of the controller speaker. However, with this config, I was not able to play music. This tells me that both my controller headset jack and my headset are fine.

I then upgraded the controller to ver 7.3 r3476 (which has worked for some). I proceeded to disable Audio Playback, restart the controller, enable audio playback, restart the controller and still get audio only out of the controller speaker. I have tried this sequence several times with the same result.

So...I have the lastest SC and contoller software. I know that my headphones work in the headphone jack...but still can't get music out of the headphones.

I know that this is beta and expect it to be resolved. I just wanted to post this for those who are having trouble and believe that the problem may be hardware related...it isn't.

UPDATE: IT SUDDENLY WORKS... I have done nothing since I posted this message 30 minutes ago and now it works. I wish I could help others who had problems; but I have no clue what made it work.

UPDATE #2: NOW IT DOESN'T WORK AGAIN...I selected the SB as the player and then the Controller and now the sound is coming out of the controller speaker again and I can't get the headphones to work. ...Has to be a software glitch.

jimzak
2009-01-09, 16:45
I tried out the new controller feature with some headphones briefly in the AM before I went to work.

I disconnected the headphones and left the controller playing via its speaker.

Approximately 14 hours later I noticed that the controller was rebooting. Unfortunately at the level of the controller, I could not stop it. I even took out the battery, replaced the battery, and the reboot cycle continued.

I could only break the reboot cycling by unplugging the Duet receiver/player unit. I then plugged it back in and I was then given the option of selecting a player...of course, I selected the Duet receiver/player instead of the controller.

For a few minutes I thought I had "bricked" the controller.

FYI.

Jim

Skinny
2009-01-12, 00:10
Suddenly I'm no longer able to get playback through my Controller!

The whole Audio Playback submenu is missing from Advanced Settings. I had it working before so where did it go?

Since the problem began, I've updated the firmware and reset the Controller, so is it some setting in SqueezeCenter that's doing it?

I did change some settings between last time using it and discovering it disfunctional, but can't remember all of them.

I'm running 7.4 latest nightly.

Thanks for your help!

Howard Passman
2009-01-12, 02:50

The whole Audio Playback submenu is missing from Advanced Settings. I had it working before so where did it go?

Since the problem began, I've updated the firmware and reset the Controller, so is it some setting in SqueezeCenter that's doing it?

I did change some settings between last time using it and discovering it disfunctional, but can't remember all of them.

I'm running 7.4 latest nightly.

Thanks for your help!

You should probably post this in the "Beta" forum.

Howard

Siduhe
2009-01-12, 03:08

I'm seeing the same running the 7.4 nightly from Saturday and I haven't changed any of my settings. What OS are you running? Any third party plugins installed? I am on XP. As there are at least two of us seeing the same, I will probably open a bug for this later today.

Skinny
2009-01-12, 05:14
You should probably post this in the "Beta" forum.

Well, yes. Isn't the entire feature that's the topic of this thread actually still at Beta stage (? I think ?) ? Still here it is so I thought I might join in.. You should probably address the OP.

I'm seeing the same running the 7.4 nightly from Saturday and I haven't changed any of my settings. What OS are you running? Any third party plugins installed? I am on XP. As there are at least two of us seeing the same, I will probably open a bug for this later today.

I have SC 7.4 - 24614 (newest one at time of writing) running on a dedicated Linux server (ClarkConnect). No 3:rd party plugins. Hopefully this will be solved soon then :)

Siduhe
2009-01-12, 14:01
I understand this will be fixed in the next nightly build (i.e. dated
tomorrow). Thanks to those who looked at it so promptly.

Skinny
2009-01-13, 07:13
I understand this will be fixed in the next nightly build (i.e. dated
tomorrow). Thanks to those who looked at it so promptly.

I updated to 7.4 - 24632 but still don't see the Audio Playback submenu.

EDIT: I connected my Duet to my WinXP PC running 7.3.1, which caused firmware changes and reset some of the settings in the Controller, bringing back Audio Playback which is now also available after connecting back to my Linux box with latest beta and FW updates. The weirdest thing is that my earlier attempt of resetting the Controller didn't give this result. Go figure. Now it works, however. Great!

Kvaks
2009-01-18, 08:25
I am having the same problem with the audio to the controllor only coming out of the controller speaker. My experience tells me that this is not a hardware issue but rather an issue with the software or firmware.

I just had the same problem as others here, and I agree with your diagnosis. The reasons is that a reboot of the controller solved the issue.

I started playback without the headphones plugged in. Sound played through Controller speaker. Then plugged in headphones, sound still played through speaker (perhaps faintly in headphones, I couldn't tell). Tried several different headphones, none worked. Then I rebooted controller while headphones were plugged in, and now it works as intended.

I hope that might solve the issue for others too. Just try rebooting the controller with the headphones plugged in.

philippe_44
2009-01-26, 14:17
My 2 cents : having 3 controllers, I really think that this issue is a mix of SW and HW. With all my controllers, prior to 7.3.x SC, the sound was switched to any earphone when it was plugged (of course, just the tones, as the < 7.3.x, streaming to the audio jack was not allowed).

With 7.3.x, one of the controllers is working perfectly for streaming music : as soon as I connect any headset, it does commute. With another one, the commuting is random - the sound is most of the time still played through the speaker with a very low sound played through the earphone, but it sometimes works (this controller _was_ commuting tones with SC 7.2.x). I've not tried the third one yet :-)

So I guess the hardware detection of the jack has some issues and the way the software handles it is not able to deal with this hardware problem. I have in mind problems like (being a SW/HW developper) the jack presence is connected to an interruption and there might be a bug in the Samsung processor interrupt controller or a edge detection issue (if edge-triggering is selected) or even a bad/weak pull up/down on the interrupt line, or any reason why the SW misses the interrupt (lack of deboucing). If the software does not verifing regularly (polling) the value of this input, then the jack presence is missed. I know there can be tons of other reasons, but what I meant is that this might be probably fix by a different SW handling of the jack presence - So I guess th Logitech guys will figure this out, don't send your controllers back to quickly :-)

Philippe

jplatt08
2009-02-17, 19:42
I set the controller to always use the headphone jack (see head phone jack not working thread)using the inserted = 1 mod...

Most things seem to playback now on the controller headphones ok but some podcasts will not play audio. for example:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/podcast/podcast.php?show_id=14

plays fine on squeezebox receiver and squeezeslave but gives me an error on the cortroller

http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=510208

plays fine on receiver and squeezeslave but no audio on controller even though it says its playing

I have installed the NPR plugin and AlienBBC on SC but do I need something configured on the controller? Con anyone debug and duplicate this problem?

Moonbase
2009-02-18, 07:31
SBC version r4154 cured this for me (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=396644#post396644).

jplatt08
2009-02-18, 10:01
Thanks I'll give that a try

jplatt08
2009-02-18, 11:03
I updated SC to 7.4 during lunch and it worked.. now I can play all podcasts through the controller and the earphone jack works like its supposed to again.

Excellent!