PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter drops out of wireless

rpurcell
2008-11-10, 16:13
Hi,
This is my second installation of my SB. First one in House No1, worked really well, no problems.
House no.2, this one, keeps dropping connection between SB and SC....?
Really frustrating as I have been through everything.
Have very strong wireless signal and double checked everything else, but something is still breaking the connection.
Latest version of SC.
Changed channels on wireless router.
Tried heaps of things, anyone got any suggestions??? Please!!

tedfroop
2008-11-18, 20:05
First lets quantify "strong signal" with a percentage reading from your squeezebox.
1. Have you tried checking for other wireless networks around you? Netstumbler or something like it can sniff them out. Stick to channels 1, 6, and 11 if possible - the other channels are combinations of frequencies that include the closest of those three and another channel.

2. If your signal is 90% + try turning your router transmit power down if possible. It is possible the strong signal is being reflected and bounced around your environment (called ringing.) Metal lath in plaster, steel studs, and steel frame construction or even a modern chimney can help this along. The only real solution for this is a wired connection. Can't run wire? Try powerline networking - several people here are using it very successfully.

Hope this helps some.

rpurcell
2008-11-26, 14:54
Thanks for your response.
By moving the router further away from the SB, by even, half a metre, the signal drops to approximately 87%. So I don't think the signal is overly strong.
There are four other networks, one only registers a signal within my place and is at 80 dbm and my signal is at 40 dbm. As per Netstumbler graphical interface.
Mine and one other network are on Channel 6, two on 11 and one on 1.
The other network on Ch 6 with me registers "Signal+" -92, the lowest on the "Channels" list. I register -29. Not sure if that reading is the same as the dbm figure from the graphical interface?
Conclusion, I don't think it is the wireless but I will continue to monitor.
Am attempting to install SC v7.3 but having difficulties knowing which pckg to download. The only exe. is for Squeezeplay..???
Do I have to download the BIN file and convert it to ISO, burn to CD etc etc etc....??????
Failing that, I'm still stumped!!

Mnyb
2008-11-26, 21:55
Thanks for your response.
By moving the router further away from the SB, by even, half a metre, the signal drops to approximately 87%. So I don't think the signal is overly strong.
There are four other networks, one only registers a signal within my place and is at 80 dbm and my signal is at 40 dbm. As per Netstumbler graphical interface.
Mine and one other network are on Channel 6, two on 11 and one on 1.
The other network on Ch 6 with me registers "Signal+" -92, the lowest on the "Channels" list. I register -29. Not sure if that reading is the same as the dbm figure from the graphical interface?
Conclusion, I don't think it is the wireless but I will continue to monitor.
Am attempting to install SC v7.3 but having difficulties knowing which pckg to download. The only exe. is for Squeezeplay..???
Do I have to download the BIN file and convert it to ISO, burn to CD etc etc etc....??????
Failing that, I'm still stumped!!

Just wait a while there is an SqueezeCenter-7.3-24108.exe there now.
It's updating once per day and various files are gone for a while, which is normal.

On Toppic: wich wireless strength do SC report ? for your player at its original position, as you have moved open the SB and check if the PCCARD for wifi is not lose.

What does the network tests from within SqueezeCenter says ?

rpurcell
2008-11-28, 16:27
Not quite sure what you mean by SC Network tests? Here is a dump of the staatus page.

Library Statistics
Total Tracks: 1,250
Total Albums: 155
Total Artists: 91
Total Genres: 27
Total Playing Time: 83:09:37

Music Scan Details
Directory Scan (30 of 30) Complete 00:00:09
Playlist Scan (3 of 3) Complete 00:00:03
Merge Various Artists (151 of 151) Complete 00:00:02
Artwork Scan (10 of 10) Complete 00:00:02
Database Cleanup #1 (1254 of 1254) Complete 00:00:01
Database Cleanup #2 ( of ) Complete 00:00:02
Database Optimize ( of ) Complete 00:00:05

SqueezeCenter has finished scanning your music collection.00:00:24

SqueezeCenter Information

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.1 - 22170 @ Mon Jul 28 13:36:57 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 121.73.147.153
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
Platform Architecture: 586
Hostname: robslaptop
Server Port Number: 9000
Total Players Recognized: 1
Player Information
Name: Robs
Model: Squeezebox v3
Firmware: 101
The IP address for this player is: 121.73.147.154:59086