PDA

View Full Version : SB3 remote control getting physically weary?

RonHatl
2008-11-10, 11:06
Hi all,

I have four SqueezeBox 3s/Classics which I love. One of the remote controls is sometimes not responding when I press the DOWN key. I have tried changing batteries, tried one of the other remotes on the same SB3 and made sure that the problem is not related to delays over wifi or due to disk reads or anything like that. So I am pretty sure that the problem is related to a specific physical key (the down key) on one specific remote.

Questions:
1. Anyone else experienced this problem?
2. Any suggestions (cleaning?)? Is it possible to open the remote control? If yes; how?
3. Is it possible to buy new remote controls from Logitech or others?

kdf
2008-11-10, 11:15
>

> Questions:
> 1. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Can't say that I have, but I usually use the web for more intricate
commands. The remote probably isn't heavily used aside from stop/start.

> 3. Is it possible to buy new remote controls from Logitech or others?

If you are in the US, you can order from slimdevices.com (well, the new
backlit remte, but remote nonetheless):
https://secure.slimdevices.com/categories.php?category=Accessories

Otherwise, your mileage may vary from country to country. Logitech
worldwide hasn't really caught up on stocking of the accessories.

-kdf

bpa
2008-11-10, 11:48
Ripcaster in the UK also sells remotes
https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/product?from=66

hirschaj
2008-11-10, 12:10
I had a problem where my remote would work very erratically and only work with certain keys. The problem was with the solder joint on the IR emitter. I opened up the remote and closely inspected where the IR emitter prongs attach to the circuit board and sure enough there was a crack in one of the joints. Re-soldering these prongs did the trick and my remote has worked great ever since.

markbelanger
2008-11-10, 12:30
I just dropped mine, which killed it. I think I had an earlier generation, the replacement I got is backlit and a little more substantial, better iconography... it's great, and the service was amazing with very quick turnaround (in the U.S.)

wotuzu17
2008-11-11, 12:18
I have got 2 Squeezeboxes: One older one with the Slimdevices Logo and one with the Logitech Logo. The were shipped with different IR- remotes. The old one contains AAA batteries while the new on works with AA batteries.

The old IR- remote doesn't work fine anymore. Some buttons are not always responding and some are as good as dead. The arrow down and the sleep button are the worst. First I thought about a software problem caused by an upgrade, but the new- design remote works fine on both squeezeboxes.

wotuzu17
2008-11-11, 12:25
I had a problem where my remote would work very erratically and only work with certain keys. The problem was with the solder joint on the IR emitter. I opened up the remote and closely inspected where the IR emitter prongs attach to the circuit board and sure enough there was a crack in one of the joints. Re-soldering these prongs did the trick and my remote has worked great ever since.

I just read your post and aut of curiosity opened my troublesome remote- and its exactly as you described ! One of the solder pads of the IR- diode is broken, you can move the wire in the hole when you touch the diode. I will re- solder it and hope it solves the problem.

Thanks for your hint!

RonHatl
2008-11-18, 13:52
I have got 2 Squeezeboxes: One older one with the Slimdevices Logo and one with the Logitech Logo. The were shipped with different IR- remotes. The old one contains AAA batteries while the new on works with AA batteries.

The old IR- remote doesn't work fine anymore.

Well, my problem is related to the old remote version as well (with Slimdevices logo). However, both the new (Logitech logo) and old (Slimdevices logo) remote versions that I've got are using AA batteries..

Question to wotuzu17 and hirschaj: How did you open the remote??

wotuzu17
2008-11-19, 09:11
remove batteries then check for screws. There are no screws on my remote. With a small slotted screwdriver carefully try to part the upper half from the bottom half. I couldn't do it without creating scuffs on the plastic-surface but if you are manual-skilled and patient it may work without.