PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Genres and Random Song Mix

atrocity
2008-11-10, 09:43
I have quite a few DTS-encoded albums in my library, which I've tagged with multiple genres, e.g., "Rock; DTS". The Squeezebox will scroll through two different Genre entries and SqueezeCenter shows "Rock, DTS" in the web interface, so I'm sure the tags are being read properly.

I've set the Random Song Mix to *not* play DTS tracks, because I often will listen in a situation where DTS can't be decoded. However, tracks with the "DTS" tag will still be placed into the queue.

I'm pretty sure that every song I have tagged as DTS has DTS as the second rather than first Genre value, if that matters. I'm running 7.2.1 under Ubuntu 8.10.

I noticed this weeks ago and only now thought to whine about it, so obviously it's not a huge issue. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

I've also noticed--in two completely different setups--that sometimes switching back to non-DTS sources after playing a DTS file results in silence when the two receivers in question fail to switch back into PCM mode. Toggling sources on the receivers never fails to fix the issue. I suspect the problem lies with Denon and Pioneer, but again, I figure it can't hurt to mention it.

Philip Meyer
2008-11-10, 10:31
I've set the Random Song Mix to *not* play DTS tracks, because I often will listen in a situation where DTS can't be decoded. However, tracks with the "DTS" tag will still be placed into the queue.

The problem is that Random Song Mix has an include list. Unticking your DTS genre doesn't mean it will be excluded. Songs will still be selected if another genre is on the include list.

I didn't like it being an inclusion list - excluded genres should override included genres in my opinion.

I have a set up very similar to yours - primary genre is the actual genre, and also add "Surround Sound" as an additional genre for DTS/AC3 music. I never use Random Song Mix as a result, because if a DTS song plays on my SB3 or Boom, I hear bad static from the speakers (which could damage them).

Instead, I use Erland's third-party plugins (Dynamic Playlist and SQL Playlist), which are much better for selecting random mixes.

I also use Erland's CustomSkip plugin, which you can configure per-player to skip certain tracks. eg. I have configured it to skip over any song that has genre="Surround Sound". If I want to play surround sound songs, I temporarily disable the skip filter.

atrocity
2008-11-10, 10:59
The problem is that Random Song Mix has an include list. Unticking your DTS genre doesn't mean it will be excluded. Songs will still be selected if another genre is on the include list.

And now that you say it so clearly, it makes perfect sense. Thank you.

I have a set up very similar to yours - primary genre is the actual genre, and also add "Surround Sound" as an additional genre for DTS/AC3 music. I never use Random Song Mix as a result, because if a DTS song plays on my SB3 or Boom, I hear bad static from the speakers (which could damage them).

I use a Roku Soundbridge in one room and in another sometimes run the SB's analog outs into a vintage Fosgate Tate 101A quad decoder. Neither are happy to get a DTS signal, to say the least.

I should look into the plugins...though I was never able to get AlienBBC working on my Linux setup and have kinda given up on plugins for the moment.