PDA

View Full Version : New forums...

autopilot
2008-11-10, 06:59
I was just wondering why we have new subforums for the Duet and SC etc, but not for the Transporter or SB3? Sign of things to 'come' (or, should i say go?). If not, it would make a lot of sense to have to them covered.

Nonreality
2008-11-10, 08:51
I was just wondering why we have new subforums for the Duet and SC etc, but not for the Transporter or SB3? Sign of things to 'come' (or, should i say go?). If not, it would make a lot of sense to have to them covered.
Was wondering the same thing. Maybe they figure all things are known about them. :)

mvalera
2008-11-10, 17:34
The feedback I got internally was that the General does a fine job for Squeezebox Classic, and the Transporter is covered by Audiophile.

Agree/disagree?

Mike

Themis
2008-11-11, 01:16
I agree. Too many subforums tend to disperse information. When I think of it, most of the posts concern Squeeze Center, not the hardware. :)

ModelCitizen
2008-11-11, 01:19
I think if the Transporter had a forum to itself then it would be a very bare place. However, I do feel sorry for those novice Transporter users who enter into the Audiophile forum (into the Lions den.. etc).

SB Classic should only be split into it's own forum if the general forum continues to be far too busy to be practical.

I think what we *definitely* need is an off-topic forum as shown by the various current "political" threads. A forum of this type is very useful (if only to keep spats confined) and seems common on the boards I have visited.

MC

autopilot
2008-11-11, 02:56
The feedback I got internally was that the General does a fine job for Squeezebox Classic, and the Transporter is covered by Audiophile.

Agree/disagree?

Mike

Disagree, sorry Mike :)

I think too many subforums for each product is not the best solution for 2 main reasons:

1) Posts in the wrong place - a new user has problems using the SBc with his SBboom, so where does it go? And what if the problem turned out to be with Squeezecenter after all? On top of this, its always good to search for answers before posting and this could confusing things.
2) Less likely people will see a thread and help. For example a Transporter owner might have a problem that a couple of regular Duet owner could fix. But they dont often bother to visit the Audiophile/Transporter section, so it slip under the radar.

Apart from that, it does not really make sense to separate some products and not others - unless they want to divert the potential customer away for the Classic to the Duet or the SB3 being discontinued in the near future.

Personally i think General discussion should have been split into 3 subforums - General Squeezebox Discussion (ideas, new user questions etc), Troubling Shooting (for problems, and not making potential owners with question see all these problem threads think its a really problematic device) and Off Topic Chat (for generally non sb related vhit chat).

Howard Passman
2008-11-11, 04:16
Disagree, sorry Mike :)

I think too many subforums for each product is not the best solution for 2 main reasons:

1) Posts in the wrong place - a new user has problems using the SBc with his SBboom, so where does it go? And what if the problem turned out to be with Squeezecenter after all? On top of this, its always good to search for answers before posting and this could confusing things.
2) Less likely people will see a thread and help. For example a Transporter owner might have a problem that a couple of regular Duet owner could fix. But they dont often bother to visit the Audiophile/Transporter section, so it slip under the radar.

Apart from that, it does not really make sense to separate some products and not others - unless they want to divert the potential customer away for the Classic to the Duet or the SB3 being discontinued in the near future.

Personally i think General discussion should have been split into 3 subforums - General Squeezebox Discussion (ideas, new user questions etc), Troubling Shooting (for problems, and not making potential owners with question see all these problem threads think its a really problematic device) and Off Topic Chat (for generally non sb related vhit chat).

I think that when folks are "forced" to read about products they don't have, it gets them interested and excited about them. Maybe a good thing for SB.

By the way, why don't we give the political freak show it's own sub-forum. Then I don't even have to look through the titles. If you don't I'm gonna start a religious thread :-) Kidding. I would never do that. Maybe a "Blonde Jokes" thread. Oh wait! Analog vs Ditial thread...

Howard

autopilot
2008-11-11, 05:12
And how can SC be seperate? A duet and sc and really part of the same product and sc problems almost always effect all products.

In the meantime, at least make the Duet forum for the SB3, it is after all pretty much just a screenless SBr and plenty of people use SBc's with them.

Skunk
2008-11-11, 05:48
I think what we *definitely* need is an off-topic forum as shown by the various current "political" threads. A forum of this type is very useful (if only to keep spats confined) and seems common on the boards I have visited.

MC

Since it's been proven that moderation is required, I don't think it's fair to ask Logitech to spend money patrolling an off-topic forum, when those resources could be used to help people with on-topic problems.

They would need a moderator, paid or not, to read through every thread. Given the political thread, I'd say that would qualify as 'world's worst jobs'.

ModelCitizen
2008-11-11, 06:54
Since it's been proven that moderation is required, I don't think it's fair to ask Logitech to spend money patrolling an off-topic forum, when those resources could be used to help people with on-topic problems.
I think the point is perhaps that an off-topic one wouldn't need to be moderated.

MC

JJZolx
2008-11-11, 11:55
I like the Duet forum. Gets all that junk out of General.

The 'SqueezeCenter' forum makes little sense to me. Squeezeboxes do very little without SqueezeCenter, so a very high percentage of General and Beginner and Duet and Boom and other discussions are going to be direct questions about SqueezeCenter. We're already seeing that with a large number of posts being moved to 'SqueezeCenter' by moderators. Kill it now and end the confusion.

Siduhe
2008-11-11, 12:15
I think the point is perhaps that an off-topic one wouldn't need to be moderated.

MC

Logitech could not, for repuational reasons alone, have an entirely unmoderated forum where people were permitted to breach the forum rules, make wild accusations etc (and I'm pretty sure this isn't what you are saying MC).

I guess the question is whether an OT board could be passively moderated (i.e. use of Report This Post button) rather than actively moderated like other boards are.

I suspect it's difficult to draw that kind of distinction in practice if you're committed elsewhere to active moderation, because issues do bleed across boards (someone slags someone off in OT, but brings it up again in the context of an on-topic discussion for example).