PDA

View Full Version : Running SC on Windows Home Server with Itunes directory

martynk
2008-11-09, 02:13
Hi everyone

I have on my network a Windows Home Server running on a Tranquil box, which now has SC running happily on it. I can stream my music using SC and the Duet receiver/handset anywhere around the house, and have all the radio and MP3 files set up and working.

So far so good.

I have all my ITUNEs library on one of the Vista PCs on the network, and I want to ideally transfer the complete library to the WHS, so I can link it into the SC.

Can I just transfer the whole ITUNEs directory structure onto WHS and point SC to it? Doesnt seem to work so well? I can get SC to access the remote ITUNES directory on the Vista PC, but the problem is its not always switched on, and anyway I want a completely self contained music directory on WHS.

I dont particularly want to run ITUNEs as a service on WHS, but perhaps someone can give me some guidance as they best way to do it? Do I need to do this?

I am not so concerned about the ITUNEs directory needing to be synchronised - once I copy it on the WHS it can stay static in terms of content.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Martyn

pski
2008-11-12, 18:39
Hi everyone

I have on my network a Windows Home Server running on a Tranquil box, which now has SC running happily on it. I can stream my music using SC and the Duet receiver/handset anywhere around the house, and have all the radio and MP3 files set up and working.

So far so good.

I have all my ITUNEs library on one of the Vista PCs on the network, and I want to ideally transfer the complete library to the WHS, so I can link it into the SC.

Can I just transfer the whole ITUNEs directory structure onto WHS and point SC to it? Doesnt seem to work so well? I can get SC to access the remote ITUNES directory on the Vista PC, but the problem is its not always switched on, and anyway I want a completely self contained music directory on WHS.

I dont particularly want to run ITUNEs as a service on WHS, but perhaps someone can give me some guidance as they best way to do it? Do I need to do this?

I am not so concerned about the ITUNEs directory needing to be synchronised - once I copy it on the WHS it can stay static in terms of content.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

You should be able to copy the entire iTunes directory to WHS. Remember that when you point SC at the music, you point it to the FOLDER that HAS the music, not the folder that has the iTunes database.

I have a similar situation and have told SC NOT to use iTunes. Point SC at the right directory and then use the advanced settings to schedule rescans of the music directory.

I also notice that the "Rescan library" function on the "basic settings" screen works now (in 7.2.x) It may be that you tried that screen in an older version where it was sick.

martynk
2008-11-13, 03:59
"I also notice that the "Rescan library" function on the "basic settings" screen works now (in 7.2.x) It may be that you tried that screen in an older version where it was sick."

Yup that now works - so I have all my music on the WHS, and all works OK apart from some of the files are in M4A format which will not play. What do I need to download to make the WHS play the M4A (filename.m4a) files play?

Thanks for your help so far - its all starting to look pretty good now.

Martyn

pski
2008-11-16, 17:08
"I also notice that the "Rescan library" function on the "basic settings" screen works now (in 7.2.x) It may be that you tried that screen in an older version where it was sick."

Yup that now works - so I have all my music on the WHS, and all works OK apart from some of the files are in M4A format which will not play. What do I need to download to make the WHS play the M4A (filename.m4a) files play?

Thanks for your help so far - its all starting to look pretty good now.

Martyn

M4A from iTunes will have to be converted to MP3's. They have copy protection.

P

eJohn
2009-03-01, 16:17
>>>M4A from iTunes will have to be converted to MP3's. They have copy protection. <<<

No. .m4a files are unprotected iTunes AAC files which were burned from CDs. .m4p files are the protected AAC files.

I have a similar setup with Windows Server 2003. I cannot play the unprotected AAC files. I have tried loading QuickTime as noted by Logitech, but that has not helped. I have read with some confusing the suggestion that the config file be edited, but find that one hard to believe. I am running SC 7.4 with Squeezebox Duet.

Looking for ideas.

eJohn

Wallman
2009-03-03, 19:29
I just converted all my m4a files to mp3 or flac, but here's a suggestion on some quicktime replacements. I have not tried this myself:
http://www.paulstimesink.com/post/2008/08/21/aac_squeezecenter_and_windows_home_server

eJohn
2009-03-06, 16:14
I just converted all my m4a files to mp3 or flac,

When you say you converted, are you still using iTunes for anything, and if so, did you re-rip or use a batch program like dBpoweramp? Any loss of songs in playlists ?

eJohn