PDA

View Full Version : Ogg Tags failure

mjp101
2008-11-08, 19:24
Most of my music is ogg.
Since switching to squeezecenter most of my music is listed as 'no album' and 'no artist'.
External tag readers and players can understand the their tags.

I'm using running "SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23630 @ Mon Oct 20 19:54:08 PDT 2008 - Debian - EN - utf8" on Ubuntu 8.04.

I see in the scanner.log file lots of these messages:
[08-11-09 11:16:55.8765] Ogg::Vorbis::Header::PurePerl::_processComments (395) Warning: format error in Vorbis comments

Any ideas how to fix this?

Mark

CatBus
2008-11-08, 21:37
Use the vorbiscomment command-line utility to see the actual tags (available via the vorbis-tools package I believe, not sure about Ubuntu). My guess is that something nonstandard is going on, although I have no idea what. Ogg tags do need to be UTF-8 encoded, I'm pretty sure.

More info would be helpful--what did you use to encode/tag these Ogg files? You can also post the output from vorbiscomment -l here.

I'm 100% Ogg here, so I can guarantee you that it CAN work.

mjp101
2008-11-08, 23:37
Use the vorbiscomment command-line utility to see the actual tags (available via the vorbis-tools package I believe, not sure about Ubuntu). My guess is that something nonstandard is going on, although I have no idea what. Ogg tags do need to be UTF-8 encoded, I'm pretty sure.

Ubuntu has it.

More info would be helpful--what did you use to encode/tag these Ogg files? You can also post the output from vorbiscomment -l here.

$ vorbiscomment -l 1-Dunya\ Salam.ogg
Track is encoded with CDex using the libvorbis library
TITLE=Dunya Salam
ARTIST=1 Giant Leap
ALBUM=1 Giant Leap
TRACKNUMBER=1
GENRE=Other

No complaints.
I also tried a windows gui tool. mp3tag. It also says the same.

I'm 100% Ogg here, so I can guarantee you that it CAN work.

I'm about 90%, but my wife bought an ipod.

Thanks for any help.
I'm guessing I might need to build it from source instead of using the ubuntu install.

Mark

CatBus
2008-11-10, 11:24
I'm afraid this all looks fine to me. I'd open a bug on this, and you'll probably need to provide the problematic ogg file as an attachment. It's probably something simple but obviously not simple enough for me.

andyg
2008-11-10, 11:34
Yeah, please file a bug and attach a file that doesn't scan properly.

mjp101
2008-11-12, 05:02
Here's a small file that also has the same problem.
I've gzip'ed it so it could be attached.
mark@terra:/home/shares/music$ vorbiscomment ./Vangelis/Chariots\ Of\ Fire/5-100\ Metres.ogg

TITLE=100 Metres
ARTIST=Vangelis
ALBUM=Chariots Of Fire
TRACKNUMBER=5
GENRE=Soundtrack
DATE=1981

CatBus
2008-11-13, 14:29
Not sure who's been looking at the attachment but posting in this forum isn't the same thing as a bug report. I hope someone from SD saw your post.

mjp101
2008-11-18, 05:40
I discovered why my ogg were failing to scan.
I rewrote one albums tags using MediaMonkey.
After is was rescanned, this album was scanned correctly.

Using MediaMonkey to rewrite would have taken too long, making sure the new tags were to my liking. So I tried using vorbiscomment to rewrite them.

vorbiscomment file.ogg | vorbiscomment -w file.ogg

This fail to write complaining that there was a bad comment.
Remember my original comments look like this.

mark@terra:/home/shares/music$ vorbiscomment ./Vangelis/Chariots\ Of\ Fire/5-100\ Metres.ogg

TITLE=100 Metres
ARTIST=Vangelis
ALBUM=Chariots Of Fire
TRACKNUMBER=5
GENRE=Soundtrack
DATE=1981
It did not like the "Track is ...".
Changing the command to

orbiscomment file.ogg | sed -e 'sTrack/ENCODER=Track/' |vorbiscomment -w file.ogg

This worked correctly.
Now after running this command over all my ogg files (using find), they all scan correctly.

Cheers

CatBus
2008-11-19, 09:17
This makes sense. All vorbis comments should have a LABEL=Text format. A comment like "Track is encoded with CDex using the libvorbis library" is just wrong, and you can get unpredictable results. It should be something like "COMMENT=Track is encoded with CDex using the libvorbis library". Maybe SqueezeCenter could deal with this more gracefully though.