PDA

View Full Version : Political BS



mick41
2008-11-08, 17:23
I subscribe to this list for Squeezebox info and not all of this
political crap. This should be rejected.

ModelCitizen
2008-11-08, 17:37
It's a mild aberration.
If it bothers you don't read it.
It's no biggy.

MC

pfarrell
2008-11-08, 17:43
ModelCitizen wrote:
> It's a mild aberration.
> If it bothers you don't read it.
> It's no biggy.

Sorry, it bothers me. And it comes to my email inbox.

There are plenty of other places on the 'net to rant about politics.

It has nothing to do with Slim Devices, Logitech Streaming Medea
products, music or technology.

Please stop.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Nonreality
2008-11-09, 16:14
ModelCitizen wrote:
> It's a mild aberration.
> If it bothers you don't read it.
> It's no biggy.

Sorry, it bothers me. And it comes to my email inbox.

There are plenty of other places on the 'net to rant about politics.

It has nothing to do with Slim Devices, Logitech Streaming Medea
products, music or technology.
Please stop.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Lets see you subscribe to all the threads and you are pissed when you get something you don't like. Could you please post a list of everything you don't like so we can make sure you don't get anything sent to you that might not make the cut. Although I guess if everyone did that nothing could be posted. Maybe you could try filtering like a lot of people do. I believe this forum is called General Discussion. There is going to be a lot of different topics here. Maybe it's not the best one to subscribe to as I've noticed any time a post is not what you feel belongs you try to stop it. When this happens to me I read it once and don't go back to the thread if it doesn't interest me. I don't expect everyone else to stop just because of me. Different thinking I guess. Don't get me wrong, I really respect most of your posts, you are very smart and knowledgeable but I don't understand the intolerance of things that interest others. Loosen up, they usually don't last too long.

badbob
2008-11-09, 16:17
ModelCitizen wrote:
> It's a mild aberration.
> If it bothers you don't read it.
> It's no biggy.

Sorry, it bothers me. And it comes to my email inbox.

There are plenty of other places on the 'net to rant about politics.

It has nothing to do with Slim Devices, Logitech Streaming Medea
products, music or technology.

Please stop.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Annoyed that Mccain lost?

ajkidle
2008-11-09, 16:21
ModelCitizen wrote:
> It's a mild aberration.
> If it bothers you don't read it.
> It's no biggy.

Sorry, it bothers me. And it comes to my email inbox.

There are plenty of other places on the 'net to rant about politics.

It has nothing to do with Slim Devices, Logitech Streaming Medea
products, music or technology.

Please stop.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Well put, couldn't agree more. It's a general discussion forum about Slim Devices products, not a general discussion forum about everything. On second thought, maybe I should post something about the book I just read and a questions about the plumbing project I'm working on in the basement. I'll just make the forums my own personal blog...

pfarrell
2008-11-09, 16:29
Nonreality wrote:
> Could you please post a list of
> everything you don't like so we can make sure you don't get anything
> sent to you that might not make the cut.

Your attitude is at the top


--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

MrSinatra
2008-11-09, 21:06
but not yours pat? :)

i'll just reiterate what i said in the other thread that complains about a single thread:

slim should make a forum for topics that have nothing to do with slim, and probably rename general discussion to general discussion about slim, if in fact thats what it is.

then again, as we are talking about one thread, (not counting the two complaining about it), slim might do nothing.

but imo, they should. it would appease everyone and make expectations clear for the future.

peter
2008-11-09, 23:34
ajkidle wrote:
> Well put, couldn't agree more. It's a general discussion forum about
> Slim Devices products, not a general discussion forum about everything.
> On second thought, maybe I should post something about the book I just
> read and a questions about the plumbing project I'm working on in the
> basement. I'll just make the forums my own personal blog...
>

I tried to complain a while ago when someone thought it proper to start
a thread on the bloody Olympics. I got very little support. I'm
subscribed to this forum as a mailing list ever since it was about the
SliMP3. I expect SD related discussions in my mailbox, not politics,
sports or the weather. They're already back as far as WW2 I believe.

I'm not for extremely strict topic rules, sometimes discussions go a bit
astray. But this goes much too far IMHO.

Regards,
Peter

Nonreality
2008-11-10, 00:53
Nonreality wrote:
> Could you please post a list of
> everything you don't like so we can make sure you don't get anything
> sent to you that might not make the cut.

Your attitude is at the top


--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

That's it? I was really trying to figure out why, but you come back with my attitude. Brilliant. I really don't think anyone forces you to get emailed every post. You can choose and you can log on and read or use a rss reader. But you choose to try to stop every thread you don't want. My attitude, you might want to check yours also. I will also look at mine again and try to adjust.

peter
2008-11-10, 01:09
Nonreality wrote:
>
> That's it? I was really trying to figure out why, but you come back
> with my attitude. Brilliant. I really don't think anyone forces you to
> get emailed every post. You can choose and you can log on and read or
> use a rss reader. But you choose to try to stop every thread you don't
> want. My attitude, you might want to check yours also. I will also
> look at mine again and try to adjust.
>

That's it? Because a minority wants to talk politics and sports en god
knows what else, other people should unsubscribe from this mailing list?
Is that the logic?

Regards,
Peter

MrSinatra
2008-11-10, 01:18
Peter,

the logic is they could use their mail app to filter the ONE thread out.

there are now THREE threads to complain about one thread! that is rather absurd.

i totally understand and RESPECT the desire of you and others like you to not get or see these discussions... so why not join me in my suggestion to ask slim to create a forum for discussions that AREN'T about slim stuff?

maybe slim would be open to it, seems a good solution if so, no?

peter
2008-11-10, 01:32
MrSinatra wrote:
> Peter,
>
> the logic is they could use their mail app to filter the ONE thread
> out.
>
> there are now THREE threads to complain about one thread! that is
> rather absurd.
>

Really? So political and sports subjects are alright, but discussing the
use of the list is not? I see only two topics, BTW.

> i totally understand and RESPECT the desire of you and others like you
> to not get or see these discussions... so why not join me in my
> suggestion to ask slim to create a forum for discussions that AREN'T
> about slim stuff?
>
> maybe slim would be open to it, seems a good solution if so, no?
>

Absolutely. An everything-goes forum is fine by me.

Regards,
Peter

MrSinatra
2008-11-10, 01:48
there are three.

thx for joining me in my request.

and yes, discussing the use of the forum is fine, but that was really secondary to the complaining nature of the three threads, and moreover, could have been discussed all in one complaining thread.

in any case, lets just work towards the solution. thx again.

Nonreality
2008-11-10, 03:43
Nonreality wrote:
>
> That's it? I was really trying to figure out why, but you come back
> with my attitude. Brilliant. I really don't think anyone forces you to
> get emailed every post. You can choose and you can log on and read or
> use a rss reader. But you choose to try to stop every thread you don't
> want. My attitude, you might want to check yours also. I will also
> look at mine again and try to adjust.
>

That's it? Because a minority wants to talk politics and sports en god
knows what else, other people should unsubscribe from this mailing list?
Is that the logic?

Regards,
Peter128 posts in that thread and over 1800 reads and about 3 or 4 complaining about it. Minority eh? Why is it all about you? Obviously some people are enjoying it. You say stop and it all should? Why?

peter
2008-11-10, 03:48
Nonreality wrote:
> peter;358381 Wrote:
>
>> Nonreality wrote:
>>
>>> That's it? I was really trying to figure out why, but you come back
>>> with my attitude. Brilliant. I really don't think anyone forces you
>>>
>> to
>>
>>> get emailed every post. You can choose and you can log on and read
>>>
>> or
>>
>>> use a rss reader. But you choose to try to stop every thread you
>>>
>> don't
>>
>>> want. My attitude, you might want to check yours also. I will also
>>> look at mine again and try to adjust.
>>>
>>>
>> That's it? Because a minority wants to talk politics and sports en god
>>
>> knows what else, other people should unsubscribe from this mailing
>> list?
>> Is that the logic?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter128 posts in that thread and about 3 or 4 complaining about it.
>>
> Minority eh? Why is it all about you? Obviously some people are
> enjoying it. You say stop and it all should? Why?
>

Explained that in many posts already.
You figure I should post 128 posts as well?

Regards,
Peter

Themis
2008-11-10, 04:22
You figure I should post 128 posts as well?
I bet you wouldn't dare to. :)

Goodsounds
2008-11-10, 09:47
Maybe you guys are on to something. We should ban any discussion about accessing the BBC - who cares, I don't listen to it. Same about problems with accented characters - why don't these people just use American English like I do. If they did, they'd have no problems.

And, we should limit forum hours to 9am to 6 pm in my time zone, so that no discussions go on when I can't participate.

There are a lot of people who are unhappy when they can't have their way. Many who have trouble dealing with people who hold different opinions from their own. Still others who have trouble understanding the difference between subjective and objective information. Unfortunately I see these traits often in these forums.

For all these people, the occasional irrelevant topic diversion is good therapy. So too the passionate and sometimes illogical banter that can erupt when a person's deeply held (and usually subjective) beliefs are questioned.

snarlydwarf
2008-11-10, 10:01
For all these people, the occasional irrelevant topic diversion is good therapy. So too the passionate and sometimes illogical banter that can erupt when a person's deeply held (and usually subjective) beliefs are questioned.

I agree: as long as it is mostly civil, some off topic is actually a Good Thing.

This is a Community forum: just like it says at the top of the page. The purpose of the forum isn't to provide support, it is to provide community (which is a key to Open Source software management: it isn't just about talking about code, it is about friendship, trust, and respect... or community.)

We have a full forum set aside to discuss music, not the SB, not SC, not Audiophilia, but... Music. Because "hey, he listens to some pretty decent stuff" helps build that community. So does, "okay, he's not a rabid right/left wing wacko, but actually has a lot in common with my political beliefs".

I don't see a problem with it.

peter
2008-11-10, 11:05
Goodsounds wrote:
> Maybe you guys are on to something. We should ban any discussion about
> accessing the BBC - who cares, I don't listen to it. Same about
> problems with accented characters - why don't these people just use
> American English like I do. If they did, they'd have no problems.
>

You're on to something. Let's start discussing Dutch politics, in Dutch...

> And, we should limit forum hours to 9am to 6 pm in my time zone, so
> that no discussions go on when I can't participate.
>
> There are a lot of people who are unhappy when they can't have their
> way. Many who have trouble dealing with people who hold different
> opinions from their own. Still others who have trouble understanding
> the difference between subjective and objective information.
> Unfortunately I see these traits often in these forums.
>
> For all these people, the occasional irrelevant topic diversion is good
> therapy. So too the passionate and sometimes illogical banter that can
> erupt when a person's deeply held (and usually subjective) beliefs are
> questioned.
>

How stupid can you get? This is about SNR, signal/noise ratio. Groups
and forums with a low enough signal/noise ratio are useless to anyone.
Now, 5% noise may not seem a big problem, but I'm sure any idiot can see
70% noise makes it hard to hear the music. I've seen enough forums and
usenet groups die because nobody cared about staying on topic.

This forum was *never* about sports and politics until a few months ago.
Who suddenly decided that was a good idea, and that anybody who
disagreed 'had trouble dealing with different opinions'?

Regards,
Peter

Themis
2008-11-10, 11:22
I've seen enough forums and usenet groups die because nobody cared about staying on topic.Oh, that was the real reason, hein ? Nice to see I'm not the only one who cares about these forums. :)

Goodsounds
2008-11-10, 11:25
You're on to something. Let's start discussing Dutch politics, in Dutch...

Goede idee. Dat is fijn met mij. Ou bien, nous pouvons avoir une discussion en francais. Ca m'est egal. C'est possible pour moi de parler dans ces deux langues, et aussi dans quelques autres.


How stupid can you get?

What are you looking for?


This forum was *never* about sports and politics until a few months ago.
Who suddenly decided that was a good idea, and that anybody who
disagreed 'had trouble dealing with different opinions'?

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this. Don't feel obligated to tell other people what they should or shouldn't do. Everyone can easily ignore the threads they find uninteresting or unworthy of their time. I do that daily without feeling the need to rant about it.

MrSinatra
2008-11-10, 14:27
All,

a solution exists. just as there is a "music" forum for discussing music, we could request that slim creates a forum for discussing any and everything not slim related or covered by another existing forum.

we could also request "General Discussion" be renamed to "General discussion about Slim"

this solution would appease all parties i think, and if so, why don't we concentrate on that request to slim going forward?

autopilot
2008-11-10, 14:36
I honestly can't believe what a fuss is being made. 1 thread. 1 single thread causes this much upset?! People need to get out the house for a while. If things were getting out of hand, with loads of threads with flame wars, spam and trolling then yeah the mods should mod. But we are talking about 1 lousy thread here.

The thing is, while we may disagree (which is healthy) we all spend time on these forums. Most have large post counts and have spent a considerable amount of time talking about our interest and helping each other out. Is the odd thread off topic every now and again really that much of a bad thing? I enjoy a bit of banter with people here, i respect them as people and would not get the chance to talk to them elsewhere.

If the mods say it not allowed, then thats fair enough. But they have had more than enough time to respond, so my guess is they dont really care.

mvalera
2008-11-10, 17:44
The General discussion area is just that... it's for everything. If people want to comment on the election then this is the correct area.

A few non-Squeezebox related posts after a historic election does not mean that the forum is going off track.

Mike

kdf
2008-11-10, 18:49
And with that, I expect this is a final post on the general forum. It no longer provides any interest (and more frequently crossing the line to annoyance) for me, so I'll follow the advice given and simply stop reading and unsubscribe.

I invite others to do the same. Plenty of other forums and they have lots of flexibility to cover interesting topics without having to filter sports politics or religion (well, aside from the audiophile forum).

Far too much noise to spend my time digging for the useful posts in the discuss list.

-kdf

Ross M
2008-11-10, 19:42
Historic election is right. It appears the US is back on track, walk softly
and carry a big stick.

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of mvalera
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 7:45 PM
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: Re: [slim] Political BS


The General discussion area is just that... it's for everything. If
people want to comment on the election then this is the correct area.

A few non-Squeezebox related posts after a historic election does not
mean that the forum is going off track.

Mike


--
mvalera

Michael Valera
Online Communities Manager
Logitech Streaming Media Business Unit
slimdevices.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
mvalera's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=11086
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54841

Goodsounds
2008-11-10, 20:04
And with that, this is my final post on the general forum. It no longer provides any interest (and more frequently crossing the line to annoyance) for me, so I'll follow the advice given and simply stop reading.


An opinion, everyone is entitled to one, and better that people have opinions than to have no opinions. But it is simply amazing to me that anyone could feel so strongly about something so unimportant.

peter
2008-11-11, 01:10
kdf wrote:
> And with that, this is my final post on the general forum. It no longer
> provides any interest (and more frequently crossing the line to
> annoyance) for me, so I'll follow the advice given and simply stop
> reading.
>
> I invite others to do the same. Plenty of other forums and they have
> lots of flexibility to cover interesting topics without having to
> filter sports politics or religion (well, aside from the audiophile
> forum).
>

Ah great. There goes one of the main contributors. This is exactly the
kind of thing I warned against.

Bad move SD!

MrSinatra's suggestion would have solved all.

Regards,
Peter

autopilot
2008-11-11, 02:40
Mike: Thanks for clearing that up.

Kdf: That's an incredibly melodramatic knee-jerk response to 1 thread. Why not wait and see what happens first? It's would be a real shame if you stopped contributing, especially just to make a point.

However, in light of the new subforums, i don't think leaving SB3/Classic and Transporter discussion in General Discussion is a good idea. They either need their own forums OR change the "Kitchen sink" heading to "SB Classic, Transport & General Squeezebox talk" the make a new forum called "Everything else" or "Banter" and head it "Off topic chat about life the universe and everything", or something along those lines.

Nonreality
2008-11-11, 03:09
The General discussion area is just that... it's for everything. If people want to comment on the election then this is the correct area.

A few non-Squeezebox related posts after a historic election does not mean that the forum is going off track.

Mike
Thank you for verifying what I have always thought it was. I didn't start this as a hard core political thread but people ended up talking about it. It's been civil but the ones that have complained have pushed the line in this thread. I believe Goodsounds has be called stupid and alluded to being an idiot because he defended my thread. It shouldn't get to this no matter the subject. But I feel all will calm down like we always seem to do. This clarification should help and let people just relax a bit. Again read my first post in the thread, I really tried to keep it about hope and non partisan and even mentioned hope for good new music but I got nailed anyway. It was not ment to offend anyone.

Nonreality
2008-11-11, 03:15
KDF did the right thing if he doesn't want to read things that don't interest him. I would think just not reading the particular thread would be the right choice but if this makes him more happy then I guess you leave the forum. Why people can't ignore a thread is beyond me. I don't leave a forum just because they have a thread about a product that means nothing to me. I read the other ones. I would have to have quite an ego to think they would alter an intire forum just because I didn't like it or agree with it.

Themis
2008-11-11, 03:24
A tempest in a bowl, really. I totally agree with Mike on this.

Edit: Goodsounds whispers me that the tempest should be "in a teapot" : I apologize for the approximation. ;)

MrSinatra
2008-11-11, 14:18
The General discussion area is just that... it's for everything. If people want to comment on the election then this is the correct area.

A few non-Squeezebox related posts after a historic election does not mean that the forum is going off track.

Mike

Mike,

i respect this answer and i respect your authority, (cartman style!) and i always thought that what you described above was in fact the case, so that puts that issue to rest... HOWEVER...

since there is a vocal minority who are also, i assume, valued members of the community, why not incorporate my suggestion? to ask another way, why won't slim do it if in fact you won't?

the main thing i am asking for is for a new "anything goes" forum to be created that ostensibly would be for any NON-slim topic, (and of course it should be civil and also not promote the competition). the new sub forum could be easily ignored by others.

it isn't to be created for just the one political thread and 4 complaining threads, but rather as a place where people can talk without fear of being too off topic or annoying slim devotees. i know in the past i simply self censored things that didn't fall under "general discussion about slim" b/c altho that isn't how slim saw it, i knew a lot of the old timers saw it that way, and frankly i didn't want to deal with it.

but as slim grows, this need will probably just get more pronounced, so why not nip it in the bud now and appease all sides?

thx.

Echo
2008-11-11, 14:59
the main thing i am asking for is for a new "anything goes" forum to be created that ostensibly would be for any NON-slim topic, (and of course it should be civil and also not promote the competition). the new sub forum could be easily ignored by others.


I agree, an 'Off Topic' forum is a good solution, but I'd be among those who wouldn't read it. I'm a recent owner of the Duet (and additional receivers) and these forums have impressed me with the knowledge and helpfulness of the community. I continue to visit to stay current with new and planned features. I also like that the forums have a tight focus on its primary purpose.

However like most forums once the majority of regular users have attained a certain level of knowledge either people visit less or discussions start to drift. An 'Off Topic' section would help to satisfy those who want it and contain such discussions to one area. As stated by Mike, General Discussion is for all things; it's not really an issue right now but if off topic threads become more prevalent then GD should be moved from the top of the User Forums. The forums at the top should be the most relevant to the Logitech's interest - a new visitor's first impression shouldn't be one of sports topics or lolcats.

jeffmeh
2008-11-12, 06:45
I'll add another endorsement for an "off-topic" forum. That would seem to satisfy both those who want to write and read off-topic posts, and those who want to easily avoid them.