PDA

View Full Version : Labelling transporter digital inputs....possible?

whams
2008-11-08, 13:07
Hi guys,

I just got my hands on a transporter (I've had a SB2 and SB3 for a few years now) and am loving it! It really is an awesome piece of equipment. At the same time as I bought the transporter, I also got myself a 'controller' which is really great too!

Anyways, I was just curious if there is a way to rename the transporters digital inputs. For example...if I plug my PS3 into the optical input, can I change the 'optical' name to 'playstation' (for example) instead?

Thanks all...I'm off to listen to some sweet tunes....

Cheers,

Dave

schiegl
2008-11-08, 13:23
Hi,

open strings.txt and find the string you'd like to rename and it's identifier e.g "AUDIO_SOURCE_OPTICAL_SPDIF".
Now create another file called custom-strings in the same directory with the same format (use <tab>s not <space>s) and your own description. Restart SC. Done.

kind regards,
Markus

whams
2008-11-08, 16:44
Hi,

open strings.txt and find the string you'd like to rename and it's identifier e.g "AUDIO_SOURCE_OPTICAL_SPDIF".
Now create another file called custom-strings in the same directory with the same format (use <tab>s not <space>s) and your own description. Restart SC. Done.

kind regards,
Markus

Thanks for your reply...

I did as you said and it now shows up as 'playstation' when going through the settings of SC but not on the transporter display itself (which is where I want to be able to display my own 'name' for each digital input), the tranporter still displays 'optical'.

Ah well, maybe it can't be done or it is a firmware related thing that may become an option on later updates.

Thanks all the same,

Dave

schiegl
2008-11-09, 02:10
ups, i guided you to the wrong file. You'll find the identifiers for digital inputs in Slim/Plugin/DigitalInput/strings.txt.

Example & working custom-strings.txt for english only :-)

PLUGIN_DIGITAL_INPUT_OPTICAL_SPDIF
EN Playstation

kind regards,
Markus

cliveb
2008-11-09, 02:51
I did as you said and it now shows up as 'playstation' when going through the settings of SC but not on the transporter display itself (which is where I want to be able to display my own 'name' for each digital input), the tranporter still displays 'optical'.
There are two ways of selecting digital inputs on the TP. One is to use the Digital Inputs plugin, and editing the strings.txt file as described by schiegl does work.

However, you can also select digital inputs from the TP's setup menu (by holding down back-arrow on remote). If you do it this way, then as far as I'm aware those names are in the firmware and you can't change them.

whams
2008-11-09, 03:01
ups, i guided you to the wrong file. You'll find the identifiers for digital inputs in Slim/Plugin/DigitalInput/strings.txt.

EN Playstation

kind regards,
Markus

Ah great, thanks Markus & Clive....that worked a treat.

Now I can label all my digital inputs (playstation, cd player etc).

Looks cool, thanks again :)

Dave

mherger
2008-11-10, 02:43
>> open strings.txt and find the string you'd like to rename and it's

Please don't do this. The file will be overwritten next time you update. Create a custom-strings.txt file instead. It will have the same effect, but won't be touched by new SC installations.

--

Michael

schiegl
2008-11-10, 14:50

Please don't do this. The file will be overwritten next time you update. Create a custom-strings.txt file instead. It will have the same effect, but won't be touched by new SC installations.

--

Michael

I didn't want to propose this - it's only used to locate the string identifier for the new file as written in the next line: "Now create another file called custom-strings.txt..."

kind regards,
Markus

whams
2008-11-10, 15:33

--

Michael

Just to confirm...I did as Markus suggested and created a custom-strings file. Its all good.

Cheers,

Dave

mherger
2008-11-11, 01:18
> Just to confirm...I did as Markus suggested and created a
> custom-strings file. Its all good.

Oops, sorry for the noise... should have read the full posting :-). Thanks Markus!

--

Michael

Keymaster
2009-10-17, 13:14
I tried this...It's awesome!!

I have a friend who wants to try this as well, but they are on a Mac.

Where would they find the file on a Mac?

Thanks!

kdf
2009-10-17, 14:04
/Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server

If you are using Finder, you'll have to right-click Squeezebox.pref
and choose "show contents" to get to the next level.

~/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox should also work, but these
things change too often for me to keep track any more if I'm not
actually using osx as a server.

-kdf

On 2009-10-17, at 1:14 PM, Keymaster wrote:

>
> I tried this...It's awesome!!
>
> I have a friend who wants to try this as well, but they are on a Mac.
>
>
> Where would they find the file on a Mac?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> --
> Keymaster
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Keymaster's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=30281
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54831
>
>

audiomuze
2009-10-17, 14:41
this is handy to know, thanks

elverket
2009-12-20, 07:14
I cannot seem to get this right

I'm on a mac (snow leopard), and find any reference to the digitalinputs plugin anywhere. I find strings.txt, but there's no reference to the digital input PLUGIN there..

In addition, I'm not sure if I understand the description: What is the custom-strings.txt file supposed to include, just one command, or everything else from strings.txt?

A more "dummie"-friendly explanation (with OSX info) would be sincerely appreciated.:-)

garym
2010-04-01, 04:46

EN Playstation

kind regards,
Markus

I'm trying to do this, but instead label the BNC COAX SPDIF input. I've used the following (inside a file called "custom-strings.txt" in the right subdirectory but can't seem to get this to work. Have I named the input incorrectly (see below) or do I need to be running some other plugin to make this work? Thanks for any help.

PLUGIN_DIGITAL_INPUT_BNC_COAX_SPDIF
EN Computer (Server)

garym
2010-04-01, 14:24
and by naming correctly, I mean is the following correct?

INPUT_BNC_COAX_SPDIF

I just made this up following my best guess from other posting.

cliveb
2010-04-02, 23:57
and by naming correctly, I mean is the following correct?

INPUT_BNC_COAX_SPDIF

I just made this up following my best guess from other posting.
These are the input names in my strings.txt:

PLUGIN_DIGITAL_INPUT_BALANCED_AES
PLUGIN_DIGITAL_INPUT_BNC_SPDIF
PLUGIN_DIGITAL_INPUT_RCA_SPDIF