Labelling transporter digital inputs....possible?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whams
    • Jul 2008

Hi guys,

I just got my hands on a transporter (I've had a SB2 and SB3 for a few years now) and am loving it! It really is an awesome piece of equipment. At the same time as I bought the transporter, I also got myself a 'controller' which is really great too!

Anyways, I was just curious if there is a way to rename the transporters digital inputs. For example...if I plug my PS3 into the optical input, can I change the 'optical' name to 'playstation' (for example) instead?

Thanks all...I'm off to listen to some sweet tunes....

Cheers,

Dave
  • schiegl
    • Jul 2006

Hi,

open strings.txt and find the string you'd like to rename and it's identifier e.g "AUDIO_SOURCE_OPTICAL_SPDIF".
    Now create another file called custom-strings in the same directory with the same format (use <tab>s not <space>s) and your own description. Restart SC. Done.

kind regards,
    Markus

Comment

• whams
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by schiegl
      Hi,

open strings.txt and find the string you'd like to rename and it's identifier e.g "AUDIO_SOURCE_OPTICAL_SPDIF".
      Now create another file called custom-strings in the same directory with the same format (use <tab>s not <space>s) and your own description. Restart SC. Done.

kind regards,
      Markus
      Thanks for your reply...

I did as you said and it now shows up as 'playstation' when going through the settings of SC but not on the transporter display itself (which is where I want to be able to display my own 'name' for each digital input), the tranporter still displays 'optical'.

Ah well, maybe it can't be done or it is a firmware related thing that may become an option on later updates.

Thanks all the same,

Dave

Comment

• schiegl
        • Jul 2006

ups, i guided you to the wrong file. You'll find the identifiers for digital inputs in Slim/Plugin/DigitalInput/strings.txt.

Example & working custom-strings.txt for english only :-)

Code:
        PLUGIN_DIGITAL_INPUT_OPTICAL_SPDIF
        	EN	Playstation
        kind regards,
        Markus

Comment

• cliveb
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by whams
          I did as you said and it now shows up as 'playstation' when going through the settings of SC but not on the transporter display itself (which is where I want to be able to display my own 'name' for each digital input), the tranporter still displays 'optical'.
          There are two ways of selecting digital inputs on the TP. One is to use the Digital Inputs plugin, and editing the strings.txt file as described by schiegl does work.

However, you can also select digital inputs from the TP's setup menu (by holding down back-arrow on remote). If you do it this way, then as far as I'm aware those names are in the firmware and you can't change them.
          Until recently: Transporter -> ATC SCM100A, now sold :-(
          House move forced change to: piCorePlayer(RPi2/HiFiBerry DIGI2 Pro) -> Meridian 218 -> Meridian M6

Comment

• whams
            • Jul 2008

ups, i guided you to the wrong file. You'll find the identifiers for digital inputs in Slim/Plugin/DigitalInput/strings.txt.

Code:
            	EN	Playstation
            kind regards,
            Markus
            Ah great, thanks Markus & Clive....that worked a treat.

Now I can label all my digital inputs (playstation, cd player etc).

Looks cool, thanks again

Dave

Comment

• Michael Herger
              Babelfish's Best Boy
              • Apr 2005

>> open strings.txt and find the string you'd like to rename and it's

Please don't do this. The file will be overwritten next time you update. Create a custom-strings.txt file instead. It will have the same effect, but won't be touched by new SC installations.

--

Michael
              Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
              (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• schiegl
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by mherger

Please don't do this. The file will be overwritten next time you update. Create a custom-strings.txt file instead. It will have the same effect, but won't be touched by new SC installations.

--

Michael
                I didn't want to propose this - it's only used to locate the string identifier for the new file as written in the next line: "Now create another file called custom-strings.txt..."

kind regards,
                Markus

Comment

• whams
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by mherger

--

Michael
                  Just to confirm...I did as Markus suggested and created a custom-strings file. Its all good.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• Michael Herger
                    Babelfish's Best Boy
                    • Apr 2005

> Just to confirm...I did as Markus suggested and created a
                    > custom-strings file. Its all good.

Oops, sorry for the noise... should have read the full posting :-). Thanks Markus!

--

Michael
                    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• Keymaster
                      Logitech Harmony Employee
                      • May 2009

I tried this...It's awesome!!

I have a friend who wants to try this as well, but they are on a Mac.

Where would they find the file on a Mac?

Thanks!

Comment

• kdf
                        NOT a Slim Devices Employee
                        • Apr 2005

/Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server

If you are using Finder, you'll have to right-click Squeezebox.pref
                        and choose "show contents" to get to the next level.

~/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox should also work, but these
                        things change too often for me to keep track any more if I'm not
                        actually using osx as a server.

-kdf

On 2009-10-17, at 1:14 PM, Keymaster wrote:

>
                        > I tried this...It's awesome!!
                        >
                        > I have a friend who wants to try this as well, but they are on a Mac.
                        >
                        >
                        > Where would they find the file on a Mac?
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        >
                        > --
                        > Keymaster
                        > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        > Keymaster's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=30281
                        > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54831
                        >
                        >

Comment

• audiomuze
                          • Oct 2009

this is handy to know, thanks
                          puddletag - now packaged in most Linux distributions.

Comment

• elverket
                            • Nov 2009

I cannot seem to get this right

I'm on a mac (snow leopard), and find any reference to the digitalinputs plugin anywhere. I find strings.txt, but there's no reference to the digital input PLUGIN there..

In addition, I'm not sure if I understand the description: What is the custom-strings.txt file supposed to include, just one command, or everything else from strings.txt?

A more "dummie"-friendly explanation (with OSX info) would be sincerely appreciated.:-)

Comment

• garym
                              • May 2008

Code:
                              	EN	Playstation
                              kind regards,
                              Markus
                              I'm trying to do this, but instead label the BNC COAX SPDIF input. I've used the following (inside a file called "custom-strings.txt" in the right subdirectory but can't seem to get this to work. Have I named the input incorrectly (see below) or do I need to be running some other plugin to make this work? Thanks for any help.

Code:
                              PLUGIN_DIGITAL_INPUT_BNC_COAX_SPDIF
                              	EN	Computer (Server)
                              Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                              Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                              Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                              The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                              Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                              Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

Working...