PDA

View Full Version : Firmware update without remote

backball
2008-11-08, 08:59
My 2 year old daugher chose to play with the Squeezebox remote only to spoilt it! Given the great SqueezeCenter architecture I have been using my PDA, notebook to control my Squeezebox.

Now that I upgraded SC to the latest version I kind of have a problem as my BRIGHTNESS button is obviously no longer available :)

Is there any other way to update the firmware for my Squeezebox? Pls don't tell me I have to buy a new remote :(

cheers

andyg
2008-11-08, 09:38
Go to Current Settings and change Auto Update to On.

backball
2008-11-09, 02:01
Having gone through all menu trees in SC 7.2.1 I can't find "Current Settings" let alone an option to switch auto update to on.

Where do I have to set this? Apologies for the ignorance but I'm a bit rusty on SC - haven't used it for about 2 months

schiegl
2008-11-09, 02:15
Hi,

press & hold the left key on your remote (let's hope this key is still working :-) until you enter the setup menu of your SqueezeBox. Scroll & select <current settings>, locate and change auto-update, done...

kind regards,
Markus

backball
2008-11-09, 06:42
I probably haven't articulated this enough; my remote is kaputt - not responding to any single key; so the remote is out.

Is there no way from SC to set this or force Squeezebox to forget all associations with network, SC etc. and start from scratch?

I also have an order shipping for a Squeezebox Duet. Could the controller do the job?

andyg
2008-11-09, 06:46
1. Power cycle your SB.
2. When you see "To begin setup press the right arrow", press right.
3. Scroll to menu item 2, 'Current Settings'.
4. Scroll down to the item 'Auto upgrade' and press right to toggle it On.
5. Hit left and scroll down to your server and press right to connect.
6. You will get upgraded automatically.

andyg
2008-11-09, 06:46
Sorry I should have said you need a remote.

MeSue
2008-11-09, 09:44
You could use a JVC remote or a Harmony to set auto updates if you have one around or could borrow one from a friend or neighbor. Or maybe a cheap universal would work, but I don't know if you need the original remote to program a cheap universal.

backball
2009-01-19, 03:48
This is probably not possible but I try my luck anyway...

Having bought a SB Duett I had this crazy idea to use the controller for my firmware upgrade which still hasn't happened yet due to a broken remote :(. You know these products are not very popular here and I can't seem to find anyone to lend me the remote for this tiny (but important task called FW upgrade).

So can I do this?

bpa
2009-01-19, 03:56
The is an IR remote emulator in the SBC.

Settings/Advanced/Factory test/Infrared

Use the cursor keys to do as Andy suggested as I think the "hold brightness" won't work.

the cosmic gate
2009-01-20, 02:16
if you need, i've got a spare remote for the SB3 (classic).