PDA

View Full Version : Multiple disc albums

janomdahl
2008-11-08, 04:13
I haven't been able to figure out how to make multiple disc albums appear as one album in the album list on my Transporter, with the individual discs nested and appearing at the next sublevel.

This is how I want it to appear:

Artists > Albums > Album title > List of album's disc 1, disc 2 etc

This is what I get:

Artists > Albums > Album's multiple discs listed

So how do I make the album appears as ONE menu item in the album list, with the indivudal discs listed on the next sublevel (one more click to the right)?

Any help would be appreciated!

PS: I'm on a Mac, using Tag (http://sbooth.org/Tag/) for editing metadata.

aubuti
2008-11-09, 20:29
So how do I make the album appears as ONE menu item in the album list, with the indivudal discs listed on the next sublevel (one more click to the right)?
Hmm, I'm not sure you can do it exactly like you want, although it *might* be possible with Erland's Custom Browse plugin.

As an alternative to what you have, you could easily get it to show the album just once in the album listing, and then show all the tracks when press the right arrow (or center button on the SBC). To do that, simply:
1. make sure the Album tags are identical across all tracks on all discs (eg, get rid of any "(disc 1)" type entries in the tags)
2. add DISCNUMBER tags indicating the disc on which the track appears (eg, 1, 2, 3, etc.).
3. do a clear and rescan in SC to pick up the changed tags. Tracks will show up in SC as 1-1, 1-2, ...., 1-n, 2-1, 2-2, ....,2-n, etc. They will also play in the correct order.

Of course, you could also put all the tracks in the same folder and just renumber the track numbers so they are consecutive throughout the set.

Neither gets you the extra level in the hierarchy (artist/album/disc/track instead of artist/album/track), but at least it will only list the album once.

janomdahl
2008-11-10, 01:43
Aubuti,
Thanks, that would work, I guess. Althought the idea of removing all those "disc 1", "disc 2" entries isn't all that tempting. But if no easier fix turns up....
Jan

aubuti
2008-11-10, 08:04
Aubuti,
Thanks, that would work, I guess. Althought the idea of removing all those "disc 1", "disc 2" entries isn't all that tempting. But if no easier fix turns up....
Jan
Removing those entries is very easy with a good tagging program. I'm not familiar with your tagging program, but with mp3tag (sorry, Windows only) you could easily (1) use a filter to find all the album tags that contain the word 'disc', (2) edit the tags for an album with just a few keystrokes. I estimate no more than 30 seconds per album, tops.

lorirobn
2008-11-10, 17:54
Hi -

I've got the same problem. However, I do have mp3tag,on Windows, and have been giving all the songs the same album name. I've been wracking my brains out as to why it is STILL showing up as 3 discs on SB. I even tried copying and pasting the album name into each tag to ensure that the name is identical, no hidden spaces or anything. The only way around this so far that I found was to put all songs from all discs into the same folder and renaming tracks (as you also suggested). I did that with one multiple cd set so far, but am hoping to figure out a way to do the rest.