PDA

View Full Version : SC and iPOD?

NiklasM
2008-11-07, 13:44
Hi,

Im trying to get my SB Duet to play music through SC, The music is located on my Ipod. I have no option to have the music on the PCs HDD.

Possible?

Br

Niklas

NFLnut
2008-11-07, 16:13
Hi,

Im trying to get my SB Duet to play music through SC, The music is located on my Ipod. I have no option to have the music on the PCs HDD.

Possible?

Br

Niklas

I don't know firsthand, so you'll have to wait for more responses from those who do, but I do know that Squeezecenter WILL interface with iTunes, but that is usually done with the music already on a hard drive. As to pulling the music directly from the iPod, I don't know. Perhaps if you put the iPod into Disk mode?

NiklasM
2008-11-09, 10:07
Ive tried to put the Ipod in Disk-mode, but no luck.
Apple wont let me do as I wish with my music.

If only SB had Winamp-support...

Thanx anyways!

Br

Niklas

andynormancx
2008-11-09, 10:19
If you don't have your music on your PC hard disk what are you going to do when you lose your iPod or it dies somehow ?

NiklasM
2008-11-09, 12:11
I do have it all backed up on an external drive.
A drive that I dont want standing out all day - its ugly when standing beside my laptop. An Ipod in a dock is better looking...

The plan is to ge Qnap or such later on, this is just temporarily..

/n

robroe
2008-11-11, 06:11
Maybe a better solution would just be to put your iPod in a dock and connect the dock to your amp/speakers?

Kuben72
2008-11-11, 12:43
It cannot be done. The music on the ipod is in a format that no one but Apple can read because it has DRM in it.

garym
2008-11-11, 13:43
There may be no way to do this. But it is NOT because all music on an IPOD has DRM. Only if the music is purchased from apple (and it is the type with DRM) is this the case. I have a 160GB ipod that is full of songs and none have DRM as they are all songs I ripped from CD. In summary IPOD/ITUNES does NOT equal DRM on songs.

pski
2008-11-12, 18:23
It cannot be done. The music on the ipod is in a format that no one but Apple can read because it has DRM in it.

This is not completely correct and is a common misconception about iPods.

If the music was bought from Apple it has DRM and can be played only with iTunes (Unless you paid extra for the non-DRM stuff.)

iPod and iTunes are perfectly capable of playing MP3's (and etc.) that did not come from Apple.

In this case, all my CD's were copied to iTunes (in Apple lossless format) and they work equally well in iTunes and SC.

In addition, I am assuming that iTunes on an iPod touch should be able to stream music via Wifi from a SC server by pointing iTunes to the remote host as a music source (and using Safari as the remote control.)

P

radish
2008-11-12, 23:19
The music on an ipod isn't DRM'd (unless the original files were of course) but it also is purposefully hidden and obfuscated. Apple don't want you to be able to access the files directly and do everything they can to stop it. The scheme has been reverse engineered however, which is why some apps can upload/download tracks. I don't see that functionality being added to SC any time soon though :)

pippin
2008-11-13, 00:02
iTunes DRM free stuff (iTunes "+") doesn't cost extra anymore. Just don't buy the other stuff...

Back in those jailbreaking days, somebody managed to actually run SC on an iPhone (installing perl and the source distribution). That would probably be what you are looking for :-)

pski
2008-11-16, 17:13
Back in those jailbreaking days, somebody managed to actually run SC on an iPhone (installing perl and the source distribution). That would probably be what you are looking for :-)

You should be able to point iPhone's iTunes at SC and control songs with SC via Safari..

You will have to install LAME.exe in the right SC directory so you can control the format of the MP3. In this case, you will point iTunes to the "stream.mp3" (have a search) on SC. Once you connect, you will use the settings for that player to limit the Lame stream to that "Player" to something reasonable like 192k (unless you are using it via wifi in your house.)

The net effect is that SC will convert "whatever" format you tune is in to MP3 at the bandwidth you've set for that player.

Eg. I have all M4A Apple lossless and I tell SC to squish it to 192K/MP3..

pippin
2008-11-16, 17:26
Err... iTunes?
iPhone doesn't come with iTunes!

Also I was referring to install the server on the phone so that you could stream the music stored there FROM the phone.

Not sure this is still possible.

pski
2008-11-16, 17:40
Err... iTunes?
iPhone doesn't come with iTunes!

Also I was referring to install the server on the phone so that you could stream the music stored there FROM the phone.

Not sure this is still possible.

So the iPhone player can't point to a stream source? That doesn't make sense.

P

PS: streaming FROM an iPhone. Get a life.

pippin
2008-11-16, 18:35
So the iPhone player can't point to a stream source? That doesn't make sense.

P

PS: streaming FROM an iPhone. Get a life.

May not make sense, but that's how it is.
I didn't want to do this, I just remembered somebody he claimed he had.