PDA

View Full Version : Express Rip / EAC

johno
2008-11-05, 15:25
I am very new to all this.. I recently bought a Squeezebox Duet and wanted to rip my 400 or so albums for use on it. After reading up in the forums it seemed the best way to rip music was to use EAC... being a novive I went to the EAC website and on it there was a link to download Express Rip.. I (stupidly) thought this was the EAC that everyone talked about...

It was only after ripping 10 - 15 albums it clicked that I wasnt using EAC but instead this program called Express Rip (no connection but on their website). With Express Rip I clicked to rip the albums in ".FLAC" format (as all here on the forum seem to recommend). I then use Media Monkey to view the albums and attach album art etc. All the cds seemed to rip well (apart from Express Rip not letting me rip Flaming Lips Yoshimi album... it said it didnt recognise the file??) and this way of doing things seems to be working fine with the duet.

Just wanted peoples opinions on Express Rip. As I have a lot of albums to rip do you think I should continue ripping with Express Rip or would it be better using EAC. What are the advantage/disadvantages. I know there is another program called dbpoweramp that a lot seem to recommend but I dont want to pay for ripping the albums.

funkstar
2008-11-05, 22:32
I've used EAC for years. It can be a bit of a pain to set up and its tag handling is pitifull. It also always had the anoying habit of constantly trying to be the furthest forward window, so if you were trying to do something as well as rip a CD, you had to keep minimizing it. A complete pain.

I decided to try dbPoweramp when i built myself a new quad core PC. I'm now a complete convert. So much easier to set up, rips are secure or verified by AccurateRip, and tag data is much more complete including album art.

The batch converter is awesome too. I can transcode my FLACs to MP3 at aproaching 120x using 4 processes on my PC. The amount of time i spend amending meta data in Tag&Rename is a lot shorter now.

I would give dbPoweramp a try, there is a free trial after all.

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-06, 20:52
I am very new to all this.. I recently bought a Squeezebox Duet and wanted to rip my 400 or so albums for use on it. After reading up in the forums it seemed the best way to rip music was to use EAC... being a novive I went to the EAC website and on it there was a link to download Express Rip.. I (stupidly) thought this was the EAC that everyone talked about...

It was only after ripping 10 - 15 albums it clicked that I wasnt using EAC but instead this program called Express Rip (no connection but on their website). With Express Rip I clicked to rip the albums in ".FLAC" format (as all here on the forum seem to recommend). I then use Media Monkey to view the albums and attach album art etc. All the cds seemed to rip well (apart from Express Rip not letting me rip Flaming Lips Yoshimi album... it said it didnt recognise the file??) and this way of doing things seems to be working fine with the duet.

Just wanted peoples opinions on Express Rip. As I have a lot of albums to rip do you think I should continue ripping with Express Rip or would it be better using EAC. What are the advantage/disadvantages. I know there is another program called dbpoweramp that a lot seem to recommend but I dont want to pay for ripping the albums.

The greatest worry I have about never-heard-of-them-before programs is that they are used to construct botnets (zombie networks for hire).

Yes, I'm paranoid. But yes, the financial incentives for programmers to do so are just way too great. Look at how many "anti-spyware" programs are really the opposite.

GeeJay
2008-11-06, 21:09
I used EAC to rip and mp3tag to fix tags and download album art on most of my collection. A bit labor intensive, but it worked.

I tried the trial version of dbpoweramp a few months ago and was very impressed. Wish I'd known about it a year ago when I was first converting my music to FLAC. I now use the free version to rip and tag any new CDs I buy, but use other means to attach album art. If you're on the front end of ripping your collection, I'd recommend you shell out the money and buy the full version.

Nonreality
2008-11-07, 04:34
The greatest worry I have about never-heard-of-them-before programs is that they are used to construct botnets (zombie networks for hire).

Yes, I'm paranoid. But yes, the financial incentives for programmers to do so are just way too great. Look at how many "anti-spyware" programs are really the opposite.

And your point is? Which program mentioned do you think is a botnet? You really shouldn't throw out this stuff without being more constructive.

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-07, 06:31
And your point is? Which program mentioned do you think is a botnet?

This "Express Rip" program he mentioned. I thought it was obvious?

You really shouldn't throw out this stuff without being more constructive.

C'mon now, cut me a little slack! If you were trying to imply that I didn't offer a suggestion for an alternative, it's already in this thread - EAC. To which you'd counter dBpowerAMP. So the OP already had good alternatives.

I am being constructive. There are millions of programs out there and a good number are not what they pretend to be. Look at the names of malware programs Spybot scans for - some of them seem pretty innocent...

Nonreality
2008-11-07, 14:08
This "Express Rip" program he mentioned. I thought it was obvious?

C'mon now, cut me a little slack! If you were trying to imply that I didn't offer a suggestion for an alternative, it's already in this thread - EAC. To which you'd counter dBpowerAMP. So the OP already had good alternatives.

I am being constructive. There are millions of programs out there and a good number are not what they pretend to be. Look at the names of malware programs Spybot scans for - some of them seem pretty innocent...I was saying that you were implying that the program he was using could be malware without supplying any proof or reasoning why it could be other than other programs are such. I have no problem with you recommending EAC as it's a great program. If I interpreted your meaning wrong then I do apologize.

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-07, 14:31
I was saying that you were implying that the program he was using could be malware without supplying any proof or reasoning why it could be other than other programs are such.

In all likelihood, the program's OK - what I mentioned was a worst-case scenario and you have to wonder:

- why are they advertising if it's free?

- if it is free and they are advertising, where does their revenue come from?

- is it just a coincidence that their ad appears on EAC's website or are they trying to poach new EAC users, and if so, why?

At the very least, we don't know if this program is a secure ripper, which is doing the OP a disservice.

To me, a program is guilty until proven innocent. It doesn't get Internet access unless I know why. It's not allowed to change the registry unless I give it permission to do so.

I apologize as well if I overreacted, but I don't think I was steering the OP wrong when I advised to be cautious of an unknown program.

johno
2008-11-07, 16:59
In all likelihood, the program's OK - what I mentioned was a worst-case scenario and you have to wonder:

- is it just a coincidence that their ad appears on EAC's website or are they trying to poach new EAC users, and if so, why?

..the Express Rip program seems to be working fine with the cds being ripped perfectly which I am thrilled about...and all is running smoothly with the duet... I have to agree that I find it strange that EAC allow them (a rival?) to advertise on their website..

although it is free, I searched the web seeking reviews of Express Rip and they all seemed positive but beside a lot of the reviews it stated how much the program is, therefore it must not always have been free...

Quick question... if a cd rips perfectly with Express rip in ".FLAC" format this should be the exact same quality etc as using EAC? ie the only major benefit of EAC is you are GURANTEED a perfect rip?

DeVerm
2008-11-07, 20:27
Quick question... if a cd rips perfectly with Express rip in ".FLAC" format this should be the exact same quality etc as using EAC? ie the only major benefit of EAC is you are GURANTEED a perfect rip?

Well, how do you know that you get perfect rips with express rip? Your rips might not be perfect if they aren't checked against one of the on-line databases and I don't know if express rip consults these. Try a very old CD with scratches, rot etc. and see what you get.

cheers,
Nick.

Nonreality
2008-11-07, 21:21
..the Express Rip program seems to be working fine with the cds being ripped perfectly which I am thrilled about...and all is running smoothly with the duet... I have to agree that I find it strange that EAC allow them (a rival?) to advertise on their website..

although it is free, I searched the web seeking reviews of Express Rip and they all seemed positive but beside a lot of the reviews it stated how much the program is, therefore it must not always have been free...

Quick question... if a cd rips perfectly with Express rip in ".FLAC" format this should be the exact same quality etc as using EAC? ie the only major benefit of EAC is you are GURANTEED a perfect rip?The main benefit is you know it ripped correctly when you are done for sure. You don't have to listen to it to know. When you're doing a major amount of albums with EAC or dbpoweramp it checks each with accurate rip, a database owned and I think created by dbpoweramp, and if it matches exactly it tells you that is bit perfect. Now your program may say it's correct but you really don't know for sure until you listen to every part of it. Things happen that mess up and it's frustating when you hear a mistake and then you start to wonder about all the other rips you did during the time period. I don't have time to listen to all of the albums when doing a bunch of rips so I like the assurance of it being right the first time. Both EAC and dbpoweramp are proven rippers and while both are secure, I like the better tagging abilities and the multi ripping features of dbpoweramp. I would definately go with one or the other if I were you as it sounds like you are ripping a bunch of albums.

Nonreality
2008-11-07, 21:32

At the very least, we don't know if this program is a secure ripper, which is doing the OP a disservice.

To me, a program is guilty until proven innocent. It doesn't get Internet access unless I know why. It's not allowed to change the registry unless I give it permission to do so.

I apologize as well if I overreacted, but I don't think I was steering the OP wrong when I advised to be cautious of an unknown program.

We know it's not a secure ripper as only dbpoweramp and EAC use accurate rip in the windows world. But there are hundreds of rippers out there that do a good job overall but aren't secure but also aren't bots or trojans. I just thought you jumped a bit fast to that conclusion without looking it up or coming with any facts about the program. I wasn't trying to make any conclusion about you just about the one post you did. I'm sorry I must have did it in a wrong way that caused you distress enough to post in another thread that I had wronged you. It was not my intent nor do I think you did it for any wrong reason. I just think there is enough paranoia out there without causing more for the OP who likes the program. I don't think it's a bad program but I think he could do better with either one of our suggestions. I'm kinda surprised you slammed me in the other thread and I'll once again say I'm sorry for bringing the problems I saw in your post up.